Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CD Projekt's Cyberpunk 2077 Update 2.0 + Phantom Liberty Expansion Thread

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Problem is that I just don't buy it as it is presented. Did Johnny imagine personally bringing the nuke, setting it in the elevator and arming it? I know memories change with time, but for him that was literally yesterday. Fuck, did he even know about the nuke in the source material? Wasn't it brought in the by the second team, and only used after Johnny was dead? If so, how did he know about the elevator part? That's not unreliable narrator, that's bat-shit crazy schizophrenic narrator.

Also, does anyone or anything except Alt-AI ever bring this possibility up in the game? Because I honestly don't remember anything like that. Victor, Arasaka and Johnny seem convinced he really did it. You'd think Rogue would be the one to say that's not how things went down, considering she was there, but I can't recall her ever saying anything about that. And then there's things in the world that don't add up, like the number of casualties. That goes against source material as well, but can't be explained away this way.

It's all nitpicking, I know. But what it all adds up to is that CD Project had their story to tell, and faithfulness to the source material was a secondary concern at best to them. I certainly can't blame them for that, but it does make the attempt at covering this with that off-hand one line remark by one character come off as silly. If they wanted to explore that angle they needed a hell of a lot more here to make it work after the whole game tells you a very different story.

I think there was more to it then just one line from Alt. She was very blatant about it.

And sure, Rogue could say more about what happened... but is she ever confronted with Johnny's memories? Don't think so. Even if she were, would his ego dominating those events bother her?

Plus the "memory" sections for me kinda prove that whatever happened, was hugely distorted by Johny's overblown ego. I mean look, he's the action hero in these "memories", the others are just his sidekicks that barely matter. He one-shots every enemy, Rogue or Santiago barely put a dent in them. He's leading the charge. The Smasher encounter also went differently in the source material AFAIR.

raz3r

Novice
Regarding future DLCs...

I wonder how they are going to deal with them, I mean if V has to be the protagonist it's gonna be quite an issue, unless they go for the time with Jackie but then you'd be like level 1 or something, dunno.

somewhatgiggly

Scholar
Regarding future DLCs...

I wonder how they are going to deal with them, I mean if V has to be the protagonist it's gonna be quite an issue, unless they go for the time with Jackie but then you'd be like level 1 or something, dunno.
Future DLC is likely to be the multiplayer stuff.

I mean I would just do it as New Vegas did. Someone calls you up, they have a new job. New locations open up. Go to it right before the Point-of-No-Return.

raz3r

Novice
Regarding future DLCs...

I mean I would just do it as New Vegas did. Someone calls you up, they have a new job. New locations open up. Go to it right before the Point-of-No-Return.
In New Vegas you didn't have few weeks left though, I mean you can do it sure but with the relic malfunction getting worse every day it'd make absolutely zero sense. That's why chronologically speaking it'd only make sense during the Jackie period. But then it'd be even more weird because you would expect people to acknowledge what you already did.

Honestly I'll never understand why developers put theirself in this weird position with the story, if you have story DLC in mind you can't just always go for a fucking prequel or something completely unrelated. Like we want to know what happens AFTER, who cares about before. It's like they never want to acknowledge the post ending world, same with every other RPG out there, unironically the only game that went further was Fallout 3 lol.

Lambach

Arcane

Game is dead. Cancel everything. Cut your losses and move on.

LOL

From the "CD Projekt RED has been hacked, hacker threatens to release CP2077 and Witcher 3 source code" Thread:

we had police, apartments, complete game rebalance and everything already made we swear
if only those pesky hackers wouldnt destroyed everything, now you'll have to wait till 2022

oldest trick in the book.
we have backups but it's from january 10th. since then we fixed everything and now all is lost

As predictable as the Sun rising in the morning. :lol:

I think there was more to it then just one line from Alt. She was very blatant about it.

And sure, Rogue could say more about what happened... but is she ever confronted with Johnny's memories? Don't think so. Even if she were, would his ego dominating those events bother her?

Plus the "memory" sections for me kinda prove that whatever happened, was hugely distorted by Johny's overblown ego. I mean look, he's the action hero in these "memories", the others are just his sidekicks that barely matter. He one-shots every enemy, Rogue or Santiago barely put a dent in them. He's leading the charge. The Smasher encounter also went differently in the source material AFAIR.

Well, I don't have the game installed any more, but from what I remember it really was just that one line, and you could miss it completely as well if you don't pick the right option when taking to Alt. Anyway, I went and actually took a brief look at the adventure that this was (supposed to be) based on, and here are my conclusions:

1. This adventure is just bad. There seems to be a ton of railroading, and it feels like PCs end up playing second fiddle to awesome NPCs that actually do shit. And if the PCs dare to interfere in whatever the NPCs are doing - climatic duel, heroic sacrifice, what have you - something prevents them, because "this is not just an adventure, it's a story".
2. The Arasaka tower is actually two twin towers, both to be brought down by a nuke brought in the basement by the second team. Brave freedom fighters bringing down twin towers of evil, why does that feel so familiar? So weird that there only appears to be one tower when we see it in the game, right?
3. On the actual topic at hand, Johnny and his team never had the bomb. It's not clear if he knew about the second team having it at all, but even if he did he had no idea it was intended to destroy the towers, as nobody but the NPC general sending them knew that. Johnny certainly wasn't there to blow up the Arasaka, he was there for Alt.

Now, I can see Johnny embellishing the assault in his memory, sure. I'd expect this to take more than a couple of hours, but why not, it's possible - not a certainty by any means as V can pretty much do whatever Johnny did back then and more - but possible. But why would he imagine bringing, arming and setting off a nuke that he's never even seen? And how the fuck would he completely convince himself that he did all that, to the point that he actually has fake memories of doing so, all in a matter of hours? This just strains credibility to and beyond breaking point. And in the end, if I had to pick between:

1. This unreliable narrator implication is a clever plot twist that sheds completely new light on this story and
2. This unreliable narrator is a half-assed attempt to hide that the story does not actually follow the source material

I'd go with option 2 here, because it's just as half-assed as the rest of this game.

Perkel

Arcane
Johnny is also a deeply unreliable narrator. The flashbacks of his adventures likely never happened the way he remembers them. The source material makes this pretty clear.

You don't need to go to source. Alt outright says it. Also when you get his gun you can actually see it is not as glorious as Johny remembers it.

They already announced there will be 2 Expansions to single player before they will release Multiplayer. Those expansions will be around the size of those in TW3.

Imho with such short main story they can add other "lifepaths" pretty easily and focus them more on other stuff. I wouldn't be surprised if say they would add rockerboy lifepath which would have major parts of main story and some quests changed completely.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Regarding future DLCs...

Most likely pre-ending stuffs? There are unused part of the map so opening them with their own small plot is probably the easiest way.

Probably they will have a "retcon" DLC that gives you alternative ending as major expansion like Witcher 3

Quillon

Arcane

Well, I don't have the game installed any more, but from what I remember it really was just that one line, and you could miss it completely as well if you don't pick the right option when taking to Alt. Anyway, I went and actually took a brief look at the adventure that this was (supposed to be) based on, and here are my conclusions:

1. This adventure is just bad. There seems to be a ton of railroading, and it feels like PCs end up playing second fiddle to awesome NPCs that actually do shit. And if the PCs dare to interfere in whatever the NPCs are doing - climatic duel, heroic sacrifice, what have you - something prevents them, because "this is not just an adventure, it's a story".
2. The Arasaka tower is actually two twin towers, both to be brought down by a nuke brought in the basement by the second team. Brave freedom fighters bringing down twin towers of evil, why does that feel so familiar? So weird that there only appears to be one tower when we see it in the game, right?
3. On the actual topic at hand, Johnny and his team never had the bomb. It's not clear if he knew about the second team having it at all, but even if he did he had no idea it was intended to destroy the towers, as nobody but the NPC general sending them knew that. Johnny certainly wasn't there to blow up the Arasaka, he was there for Alt.

Now, I can see Johnny embellishing the assault in his memory, sure. I'd expect this to take more than a couple of hours, but why not, it's possible - not a certainty by any means as V can pretty much do whatever Johnny did back then and more - but possible. But why would he imagine bringing, arming and setting off a nuke that he's never even seen? And how the fuck would he completely convince himself that he did all that, to the point that he actually has fake memories of doing so, all in a matter of hours? This just strains credibility to and beyond breaking point. And in the end, if I had to pick between:

1. This unreliable narrator implication is a clever plot twist that sheds completely new light on this story and
2. This unreliable narrator is a half-assed attempt to hide that the story does not actually follow the source material

I'd go with option 2 here, because it's just as half-assed as the rest of this game.

+ everyone else in the game paint him as THE terrorist/sole perpetrator without mentioning anyone else's involment in the attack. So its more likely "unrealiable narratorS" :P

shitty plot twist: literally everyone's mind has been tempered with, peralez style.

Also when you get his gun you can actually see it is not as glorious as Johny remembers it.
Nah, his gun is awesome. You can easily pull thousands or tens of thousands damage crit head shots if you spec into pistols, but the really big thing with it is that despite being a power weapon, it acts like a tech weapon and penetrates cover and walls. It's ludicrously good.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
People in the thread about the hack predicted CDPR will use it as an excuse to delay patches :D Good job!

Justicar

Dead game
Glory to Ukraine
People in the thread about the hack predicted CDPR will use it as an excuse to delay patches :D Good job!
They should have used the covid scamdemic to delay the game into q4 2021 now its game over for them by the time they fix (if that's even possible) the game nobody will give a fuck about it. Their only choice if they want to survive is to bring back Geraldo for Glitcher 4 but looking at current dvd project blue they will probably set it in Wakanda I mean Zerrikania.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom