Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Valve and Steam Platform Discussion Thread

Lhynn

Arcane
There are now 100% Chinese games on Steam. No English translation, no English description. Why is this allowed.
A few quality games there, and they get fan translations on the workshop.
You can always edit it to remove them from your listings if you arent interested, so i see absolutely no reason as to why you would care.

Lhynn

Arcane
I only care about quality releases, and their rpg scene is less pozzed than the kwans. Their games offer pretty deep and detailed systems, sometimes they are obtuse obtuse, but it never fails to be creative. The writing is mostly shit, but its not like its any better in the US.

And i rather have Xi than Biden you retarded twat. Enjoy them turning your firstborn into a tranny.

Codex Year of the Donut
I only care about quality releases, and their rpg scene is less pozzed than the kwans. Their games offer pretty deep and detailed systems, sometimes they are obtuse obtuse, but it never fails to be creative. The writing is mostly shit, but its not like its any better in the US.

And i rather have Xi than Biden you retarded twat. Enjoy them turning your firstborn into a tranny.
lol didn't read

Zibniyat

Arcane
So I was browsing through my Steam collection, and whilst I never really thought much about it (I ususally don't play multiplayer), there's a bunch of games I own that are no longer listed in the Steam store, and for which multiplayer was shut down.

Games like Dungeonland, Fractured Space, Leviathan Warships, The Showdown Effect - none of these interested me much, I can't even remember how I obtained them, but they are neither available on Steam store nor is it possible to play multiplayer with these games for people who do own them.

I expect a lot of other games who relied on Steam - or any other "cloud client/store" - for their multiplayer will in a few years become unplayable. Also, in case of any of these games being unavailable anywhere else I don't see any reason not to pirate them for people that would like to play them. I don't understand why Steam doesn't allow these games to still be purchased but with a big disclaimer how parts of the game are no longer working.

cosmicray

Savant
I don't understand why Steam doesn't allow these games to still be purchased but with a big disclaimer how parts of the game are no longer working.
Because they don't own them and contract with the publisher became void. Or publisher simply doesn't want to support/sell those games anymore.

Latelistener

Arcane
I expect a lot of other games who relied on Steam - or any other "cloud client/store" - for their multiplayer will in a few years become unplayable.
Steamworks has different options. If a game uses peer-to-peer connection it doesn't need any servers and can live on forever, unless Steam will shut down or publisher will want to completely disable it. Dark Souls is not available anymore, only Remastered, but it's still playable.

If a game needs dedicated servers though then Valve has nothing to do with it. It provides Steamworks API, but devs need to host them themselves and if they can't do it anymore there's no multiplayer. Sometimes other people can host servers too if allowed.

Three of these games were published by Paradox by the way and weren't really successful or popular. Also I think at least Showdown Effect is still playable (maybe it's P2P?) just rarely has any players.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Interesting stats about controller usage on Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/groups/steamworks/announcements/detail/3061855517864424915

Let’s start with some figures for a sense of scale: 48 Million players have used a controller in a game on Steam, with about 10% of daily game sessions being played with a controller. Of course, that controller usage isn’t distributed evenly across all kinds of games. Many RTS games, are hard to play with a controller of any kind and tend to have a much smaller percentage of players using a controller (frequently below 1%). In contrast, many sports and fighting games see over 70% of sessions played with a controller, while racing and skating games can easily have over 90% of players using a controller. On the action and adventure fronts, most 3rd person adventure games see 40-50% of players using a controller, and the majority of FPS games are solidly in the range of 7-8%.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Heh: https://steamcommunity.com/groups/homestream/discussions/0/3111395750231979202/

Now in Beta: Remote Play Together - Invite Anyone!

Now in Beta, you can Remote Play Together with anyone – no Steam account needed to join your game with the click of a link.

To try the new functionality, opt into the Steam Client Beta. Once updated, you'll find a COPY LINK button in your Friends list whenever you play one of the thousands of games with support for Steam Remote Play Together.

To quickly access your own games with support for Remote Play Together, click the advanced filtering options icon in your Library, then select Remote Play Together under Features. You can even hit Save to create a Dynamic Collection.

When you're ready to play, launch your game, then grab an invite link from your Friends list in the Steam Overlay. Send the link to your friend on Windows, iOS, Android, or Raspberry Pi and they can click your invite to join in the fun.

We hope you'll give the new Invite Anyone feature a try, then join us here in the discussions to share your feedback.

Additional Info
Invite Anyone with a link and your friend will be invited to install the Steam Link app before connecting. Once installed, Steam Link enables a quick connection to your game session. If your friend has Steam installed, it will instead be used to facilitate the session.

One player may be invited to your Remote Play Together game session via link, no Steam account needed. Additional Steam Friends may be invited to your game by right-clicking them in your Friends List, then selecting Remote Play Together.

Players with their own controllers will be able to immediately join in the fun. If you have your own controller as the host, you can choose to share control of your keyboard and mouse with a remote player in the Steam Overlay.

People expected Stadia to do these kind of features using streaming tech.

Latelistener

Arcane
People expected Stadia to do these kind of features using streaming tech.
It was already done by Parsec and other similar software like Rainway or Moonlight, with the exception that I don't think you can play Parsec with people who don't have it.

Currently I'm using Parsec instead of Remote Play. Kind of got used to it.

KVVRR

Learned
Last edited by a moderator:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
This is your friendly reminder to buy on GoG instead of Steam whenever possible.
Valve: funds multiple linux developers
GoG: regularly rejects games developed in the style of the classics, accepts Princess Evangile W Happiness
I wouldn't mind Valve somewhat regulating what gets into the store honestly
Woah woah woah. Slow down there. How will I sell my subpar indie games on Steam if they do that?

Last edited by a moderator:

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
How my Steam purchases look nowadays:

mSw2FsC.jpg

GrainWetski

Arcane
I wouldn't mind Valve somewhat regulating what gets into the store honestly
We all see how that's working out with GOG. Bunch of woke superindie(as in games appealing to about 3 blobs of LGBBQ-) trash and hentai/anime games get in, but games like Hatred get banned because retards on Twitter demand it.

The 'gatekeeper' roles just get taken over by ideologues so it doesn't end well.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom