Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ANTHEM - failed Destiny clone from BioWare

prengle

Savant
i would love a conservative estimate on how much money ea and bioware collectively wasted on this soon-to-be-permanently-dead waste of a "live service" game

Terra

Cipher
4zc6jf.jpg

Frees up more dangerhairs to fuck up the next DA/ME I guess.

Tom Selleck

Arcane
i would love a conservative estimate on how much money ea and bioware collectively wasted on this soon-to-be-permanently-dead waste of a "live service" game

Still not enough to shutter the studio, for some reason, even though EA has had no issues with blowing up more successful studios with smaller failures than this.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
Gaming as a service. Sounds great! Executives and MBAs everywhere swoon at the very suggestion.

Dump the old way of thinking, with irregular revenue streams and long development lead times.

Join the new way! It literally can't fail!

Even if it could, do you want to be the MBA who isn't going after the new and exciting monetary model? Passing the cocaine would become quite awkward at those corporate outings, if you're the old-school hold-out.

You're not making a game, you're making a service platform. People are not supposed to play because they like the game, but because they're hooked on the game and the constant updates, additions, exclusives, cosmetics and lootboxes.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Anthem Next from EA and BioWare has been cancelled/discontinued/killed. Probably old news by now. I missed the thread.

Live servers will be online in their current state.

ADL

Prophet
Sell the code to a company that can use it to make a good Iron Man game.
Doubt anyone would want it considering it's on Frostbite and they blame that for all the game's failures. Not only this game but half a dozen others at half a dozen other studios. Apparently Frostbite sucks to work on without DICE's team working on it with you.

Codex Year of the Donut

Still not enough to shutter the studio, for some reason, even though EA has had no issues with blowing up more successful studios with smaller failures than this.
https://massivelyop.com/2019/11/01/...llion-dollars-and-ea-is-pleased-most-pleased/

Bioware already saved one massive failure and turned it into a financial grand slam. It's the only thing keeping bioware alive but they treat the austin studio like second class.
EA was probably getting angry with them siphoning resources away from it for their failure projects.

Tom Selleck

Arcane
Game Development successful execution of integrated marketing campaigns masquerading as "Games" that develop brand awareness, affinity, and corporate shareholder interests while safeguarding seamless monetization and amplifying promotions across the brand blueprint is Hard

FTFH

Killing whatever update they were working on seems like the dumbest thing they could've done. This is definitely a move that's going to kill whatever goodwill they had with their fanbase that was still hanging onto some hope with this. Going to be interesting if this hurts upcoming BioWare games. Could be funny to watch.

I'd guess the Reddit is full of people that are pissed off about it. Too bad BioWare doesn't have a forum anymore, would be funny to see the reaction there.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom