Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout I've just finished "Fallout: A Post Nuclear Role Playing Game", and...

BarãodoDesterro

Educated
Fellow "codexers";

following the latest thread "Fallout 1&2 remaster", considering I just finished the game on 22 february, it seems funny to bring my feedback to the community (firstly, I don't think this discussion is inherently connected to the other topic; secondly, I don't exactly know the spoiler rules regarding 1997 releases — I'll leave that to moderators —; thirdly, I definitely have to study prepositions).

1. I did not complete the "Glow" (therefore, supposedly, I've lost the finest moment of "Fallout").

1.1 I was so pissed with the "Mariposa Military Base" sequence that I just rushed to the "Cathedral": when you hold "mouse 1" while using the "select cursor" on the force field emitters, simply the option to use a skill is not available. I actually had used "repair" on the terminals next to the force fields, but I was stuck when the terminal was on the other side (third floor). After an hour reading foruns, I realized that I had to use the number key to select the skill to target the emitter. Come on: the manual said I should use the numbers as shortcuts, not as an essential part of gameplay.

2. The skill tests mechanic is pretty lame: I invaded the "Thieves guild" with "lockpick" skill 15; I repaired the water pump with "repair" skill "fifty something" (after reading the three books that the quest most certainly gives to prevent bad karma); I found the lever with "trap" skill probably "15" or lower. Discarding some lockers (with useless equipment — more on "3."), the ghoul arrested next to the water pump and some terminals, I've never failed a skill check (and that looks like bad design).

3. The progression is a bit shallow: I used the sniper rifle I bought from Jake and the power armor I received from saving the initiate (saved him because I stumbled at the encounter, not because I was following the mission) the entire game. In the end I was leveling for hit points (occasionally perks, but my attributes were so bad that I couldn't unlock the good ones).

4. The combat plays like "Fallout 3" and "Fallout; New Vegas". Let me explain. Even though the following are action based, not using "VATS" was trash, and fighting was, actually, dumping all action points to hit the head and waiting for the points to load while trying to dribble the opponents. The same thing happens while playing "Fallout 1", the "only" difference is that the "dribbling" is a percentage, not an action.

5. The "setting" is good, the writing is ok (I can't remember the writing of "3" and "NW" [but I remember the setting of "New Vegas" being among the best] — I was too young — I can remember "4" is not good). I have to play "New Vegas" again, it is my favorite game of all time, but I was too young to remember (and was too young to know how to evaluate) writing (courtesy of "Sony", I got the platinum trophy on 6/2/2012 — I was 13 years old).

5.1 The ending is awesome ("Bloody mess" plus the habit of aiming when someone crosses my avatar) — and I was "Champion" (sad that the murder is not canon).

6. Killing "Deathclaws" is easy (normal difficult). Not as easy as "Fallout 4" (even on hardest); easier than "Fallout 3" — although it gets somewhat less harsh when one discover "Lincoln's repeater"; definitely a walk on the park when compared to "New Vegas" — hard even when using "Anti-material rifle" and "T-51" ("This Machine" also works). It is clear that I always use long range rifles.

Those are the things I've felt while playing. It will be really hard, for me, to put "Fallout 1" in my personal greatest titles ever; and that is kind of sad, because the "Baldur's Gate" collection — I'm starting my journey through the mainstream history— (I've played the "enhanced" ones [even though I have not used the new companions, luck {I guess}; I don't know "Baldur's Gate" original interface]) is probably there and I discovered the genre playing "New Vegas".

Sincerely regards,

KateMicucci

Arcane
When I was a teenager I enjoyed Fallout 1 and 2, but I think that it wasn't the game itself that I enjoyed, but the setting. And everybody else was talking about how it was so great, and since I was a teenager I agreed.

When I replayed them 10 years later I was scratching my head wondering what the big deal was. They're slow, empty, and often drop frustrating random encounters on you.

People will call you a zoomer for saying that you don't like F1&2, but I would happily go back and replay even older games like Might and Magic 2, Ultima VII or Wasteland 1. I will not replay F1 or F2.

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
Fellow "codexers";

following the latest thread "Fallout 1&2 remaster", considering I just finished the game on 22 february, it seems funny to bring my feedback to the community (firstly, I don't think this discussion is inherently connected to the other topic; secondly, I don't exactly know the spoiler rules regarding 1997 releases — I'll leave that to moderators —; thirdly, I definitely have to study prepositions).

1. I did not complete the "Glow" (therefore, supposedly, I've lost the finest moment of "Fallout").

1.1 I was so pissed with the "Mariposa Military Base" sequence that I just rushed to the "Cathedral": when you hold "mouse 1" while using the "select cursor" on the force field emitters, simply the option to use a skill is not available. I actually had used "repair" on the terminals next to the force fields, but I was stuck when the terminal was on the other side (third floor). After an hour reading foruns, I realized that I had to use the number key to select the skill to target the emitter. Come on: the manual said I should use the numbers as shortcuts, not as an essential part of gameplay.

2. The skill tests mechanic is pretty lame: I invaded the "Thieves guild" with "lockpick" skill 15; I repaired the water pump with "repair" skill "fifty something" (after reading the three books that the quest most certainly gives to prevent bad karma); I found the lever with "trap" skill probably "15" or lower. Discarding some lockers (with useless equipment — more on "3."), the ghoul arrested next to the water pump and some terminals, I've never failed a skill check (and that looks like bad design).

3. The progression is a bit shallow: I used the sniper rifle I bought from Jake and the power armor I received from saving the initiate (saved him because I stumbled at the encounter, not because I was following the mission) the entire game. In the end I was leveling for hit points (occasionally perks, but my attributes were so bad that I couldn't unlock the good ones).

4. The combat plays like "Fallout 3" and "Fallout; New Vegas". Let me explain. Even though the following are action based, not using "VATS" was trash, and fighting was, actually, dumping all action points to hit the head and waiting for the points to load while trying to dribble the opponents. The same thing happens while playing "Fallout 1", the "only" difference is that the "dribbling" is a percentage, not an action.

5. The "setting" is good, the writing is ok (I can't remember the writing of "3" and "NW" [but I remember the setting of "New Vegas" being among the best] — I was too young — I can remember "4" is not good). I have to play "New Vegas" again, it is my favorite game of all time, but I was too young to remember (and was too young to know how to evaluate) writing (courtesy of "Sony", I got the platinum trophy on 6/2/2012 — I was 13 years old).

5.1 The ending is awesome ("Bloody mess" plus the habit of aiming when someone crosses my avatar) — and I was "Champion" (sad that the murder is not canon).

6. Killing "Deathclaws" is easy (normal difficult). Not as easy as "Fallout 4" (even on hardest); easier than "Fallout 3" — although it gets somewhat less harsh when one discover "Lincoln's repeater"; definitely a walk on the park when compared to "New Vegas" — hard even when using "Anti-material rifle" and "T-51" ("This Machine" also works). It is clear that I always use long range rifles.

Those are the things I've felt while playing. It will be really hard, for me, to put "Fallout 1" in my personal greatest titles ever; and that is kind of sad, because the "Baldur's Gate" collection — I'm starting my journey through the mainstream history— (I've played the "enhanced" ones [even though I have not used the new companions, luck {I guess}; I don't know "Baldur's Gate" original interface]) is probably there and I discovered the genre playing "New Vegas".

Sincerely regards,

:updatedmytxt:

BarãodoDesterro

Educated
When I was a teenager I enjoyed Fallout 1 and 2, but I think that it wasn't the game itself that I enjoyed, but the setting. And everybody else was talking about how it was so great, and since I was a teenager I agreed. When I replayed them 10 years later I was scratching my head wondering what the big deal was. They're slow, empty, and often drop frustrating random encounters on you. People will call you a zoomer for saying that you don't like F1&2, but I would happily go back and replay even older games like Might and Magic 2, Ultima VII or Wasteland 1. I will not replay F1 or F2.

I've put some thought on what you said and realized a couple of things.

Since my repertoire is, at best, lacking, at worst, inexistant, I will compare "Fallout 1" to "Baldur's Gate 1": latter "setting" is forgettable (Nashkel and Beregost simply exist, Baldur's Gate is nice and Durlag's Tower is something else) and writing is, being lenient, functional (Sarevok's "Koveras" is just kitsch). But these dimensions are not the core of the game, and I would gladly revisit Faerûn someday.

Returning to "setting", I began to question how much of "Fallout 1" stands in its own (the personality and feeling of the places) , and how much of it is the projection of the things I already know and feel excited about: arriving at Shady Sands, saving Tandi and remembering the size of the New California Republic (or the guy asking about this in Freeside); discovering the "Brotherhood of Steel" (and how the encounter with the paladins in the desert is similar to the one in "New Vegas" while one has Veronica as companion, or how they have the habit of sending to be initiates to recover holodisks in the worst places); talking with Harold (and knowing "I" killed that guy).

FO1 is a great game that just so happens to be very slightly overrated by the Codex.

FO2 is a decent game that is massively overrated by the Codex.

I've said it before, I'll say it again, and I will welcome your retarded ratings every step of the way:

There has never been a Fallout game with combat that isn't total crap.

EDIT: Except Tactics, which I literally forgot existed.

Last edited:
There has never been a Fallout game with combat that isn't total crap.
It's called Underrail.

You're splitting hairs (to be exceedingly generous), and you know it.

That said, Underrail and its expansion are probably my most highly anticipated titles that are sitting in my GoG/Steam backlog; just waiting for the wife and kids to take a nice weeklong vacation so I can really sink some time into it.

laclongquan

Arcane
The Glow is bloody overrated by Codexers. Fallout 1's top moments are
1. The secret of iguana meats and bits.
2. Hire a water caravan to your vault.
3. Meet a bunch of giant monsters in your face (The Shed)
etc...

The Glow is a good dungeon, full to bursting with loot that will mostly be left behind by new players. Which is why it reinforce the feelings.

But it's not a good "representative" moment of Fallout 1.

flushfire

Augur
Fallout combat is merely OK. Shallow, sometimes repetitive but passable because the controls, feedback and flavor, if you will, are good. It's nowhere near "total crap". Anyone who says so is a juvenile tryhard who hasn't played crpgs with actually crap combat where you're even struggling to click enemies.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
The primary fault of Fallout's combat system is that it grants the player control only over a single character, which is always a terrible waste of turn-based combat. Compare, for example, Age of Decadence with Dungeon Rats as an example of how the same turn-based combat system is vastly improved with multiple PCs. In Fallout, even if a companion has been recruited, rather than permit the player the luxury of controlling two characters, the game will instead frustrate the player with the poor AI controlling their follower.

best-companion-in-fallout-1.jpg

purupuru

Learned
Am I the only one that doesn't mind friendly fire?
Stop standing directly in front of people shooting guns.
I don't have problems with friendly fire in IE games where I can control the full party, but it's fallout and your companions are going to act like a retard sometimes.

Red Hexapus

Learned
Am I the only one that doesn't mind friendly fire?
Stop standing directly in front of people shooting guns.
I don't have problems with friendly fire in IE games where I can control the full party, but it's fallout and your companions are going to act like a retard sometimes.
The one thing I've missed when I played Fallout for the first time was exactly this - full party control. I guess the only workaround is the most direct one: never give your companions burst weapons.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
The primary fault of Fallout's combat system is that it grants the player control only over a single character, which is always a terrible waste of turn-based combat.
Lol, lack of full-party control is the least of Fallout's problems. You can play Fallout 2 with full-party control mod and it would be the same, only piss easy. Well, the difficulty can be countered, but how - by either HP or numbers bloat; both are hardly a welcomed change.

Fallout combat lacks tacticoolness because of: not enough enemy variety, not enough weapon variety, not suited for combat map design, underutilization of certain skills and special abilities. Only after fixing this, full-party control could be added and really be of great value.

jackofshadows

Magister
I guess the only workaround is the most direct one: never ever hire companions.
Fixed. That said, I agree with rusty that working around friendly fire kinda easy. Plus some players somehow completely discarding additional management like setting passive behaviour, maximum armor and stims, drugs before tough fights etc.

Last edited:
Fallout 1 and 2 were great for their 'slow', mellow, melancholy, nuclear apocalypse wasteland setting and feel IMO. No game can really recreate that today because most game studios only think about the most shallow parts of Fallout 1 like "LOL PEOPLE EXPLODED WHEN YOU SHOT THEM, AND YOU COULD SHOOT THEM IN THE BALLS!! LOL!" or "it was the idealistic 50's with robots but then they blew up the whole world lol so IRONIC!" and they think that is what everyone must love about Fallout so they just go overboard on that shit. Not to mention many modern players might just find a slower paced, more empty wasteland to be "boring or lacking content" and totally not get the point at all...

prengle

Savant
oh my fucking god use less parentheses, you're not writing an essay for your 9th grade english class you're posting shitty takes about videogames on a mossad-operated neo-nazi containment forum

Citizen

I was so pissed with the "Mariposa Military Base" sequence that I just rushed to the "Cathedral": when you hold "mouse 1" while using the "select cursor" on the force field emitters, simply the option to use a skill is not available. I actually had used "repair" on the terminals next to the force fields, but I was stuck when the terminal was on the other side (third floor). After an hour reading foruns, I realized that I had to use the number key to select the skill to target the emitter. Come on: the manual said I should use the numbers as shortcuts, not as an essential part of gameplay.

(Shut [the "fuck" up])

Devastator

Learned
I’m just happy I’m not OP:
  1. Has a hard time pressing number keys.
  2. Thinks Fallout is essentially about “dribbling”.
  3. Was so scared of The Glow that he instead betrayed humanity and ran to daddy (The Master) to be dipped.
Also, I’m not sure why Fallout 3 and 4 are mentioned at all (i.e. trash tier).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom