Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo 2: Resurrected remaster

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Ooooh, are we getting close to talking about gameplay yet?

D2 needs a lot of rebalancing. If it's literally a 1:1 to the last D2 I played where creativity was pretty much dead and end game consisted of doing 20 Baal runs in a row, what's the point? Imagine programming skills into the game that go unused for twenty fucking years, get remastered, only to be left in the same state that made them worthless in the first place.
I've been saying this exact thing for the last few pages and just in general when talking about Diablo 2. I don't understand why people like it for more than at most a "complete" run (i.e. finishing hell difficulty).

tritosine2k

Erudite
Detached movement from targeting with KBM was done by Soldiers: Heroes of WW2 an ukranian commandos clone f'n AGES ago, then it becomes a camera movement problem .
huge for me as ARPGs like D2 are best played on pad as you can have detached movement from targeting.
:rpgcodex:
apparently that's not even targeting but auto LOCK
boy " it just works" :
https://www.reddit.com/r/diablo3/comments/6phtxy/the_console_aiming_system_needs_to_be_reworked/
https://www.reddit.com/r/Diablo/comments/3jvpe0/any_way_to_turn_off_aim_assist/

get that shit outta here

Diablo II is what it is, and was loved for being that by millions. It's not my favorite game, but I'm not going to pretend like it wasn't an obsession of mine for a time. While I agree that there are many things D2 could benefit from changing, those changes are subjective and significant enough to warrant simply building a new game. If Blizzard were to meaningfully change anything other than graphics, then everyone would be crying foul over those changes instead. People loved D2, justifiably. Let them have the graphical/performance update. The selection screen models are ugly, sure. Everything else looks pretty great. Let's not get dramatic.

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
I'll take it as a sign of incline though, that the only thing people are bitching about are some ugly character models in the character selection screen.

You haven't been paying attention, then.

Hard to pay attention in last 50 pages sperging out about some faces. When original is this:

unknown.png

Perkel

Arcane
they are keeping the terrible flask system. who thinks this system deserves being left? but they are lazy and cant be bothered rebalancing

Flask system is old but usable and kind of punishes death spammers.

POE - at start it had amazing flask system. It became garbage once they increased amount of monsters per map in "monster patch"
GD - For some fucking reason they have flasks when there is superior constitution system so meh
D3 - completely meh

GD overall takes the crown but it is like paraolimpiad where none is particularly great.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
The game will be moddable IIRC and they probably solved botting. So these are two big pluses in my book

I wish they opted for the Starcraft Remastered approach with rotoscoped sprites though, rather than this 3D on 2D bullshit

Generic-Giant-Spider

If a public BNet game is not hatefucked by text from D2Legit.com then this whole remaster was for nothing.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I mean, it's hard to argue that these characters look better than they did before.

It's not hard to argue. They are objective improvements, graphically speaking.
What you are saying is that, subjectively speaking, the character redesigns are worse. Which has nothing to do with better graphics. Good aesthetic =/= high quality graphics. Crysis has ridiculously detailed graphics (for its time), but I don't think it is anyone's idea of "woah, amazing aesthetic".

The problem isn't "the new Amazon isn't faithful to the original". Some may like to pretend this is the case, but it simply isn't. I've never heard a single complaint about a character being turned into a hotter version, waving the "IT'S NOT FAITHFUL" flag. So clearly the problem is that new Amazon = not as hot as old Amazon. And that's fine, I do think new Amazon is fairly ugly. Not like I give a shit, though: from what I've seen, you only see her face up close in the character selection screen (so much for Codexers complaining that new RPGs let you choose your fucking hair color; at least you will be seeing that a plenty in-game).

Also, your Marvel vs Capcom Infinite analogy is pretty dumb since Chun-Li has been a historical sex symbol since... forever, whereas the Amazon featured in... one game, and it's not like she's Chun-Li levels of popularity. A Lara Croft analogy would have been a better example, and in that regard I do think Lara Croft's design was fucked by changing what she historically was (a tomb raiding bimbo).

Hyperion

Arcane
Also fact: you need to be a raging coomer to turn a thread about a remaster into a 40-page discussion about how a female character looks like a man.
Do I need to be a raging coomer to be upset that the Druid looks like he's been shooting H in a hollow tree and just heard the news it's his high school's 20 year reunion? Or the fact the trailer showed werewolf form, and he went from having a sleek white coat to yet another shade of brown? Enemies no longer seem to have striking color palettes, like that white glow of horrors, or the bright red of burning dead. Will magic packs have a bright blue hue? Will Ghosts' casting their bone spirit-like spell be a huge glowing orb of white? Will the corpse spitters fire huge bright green loogeys at us?

The original may have been dark, grimey, and all things gothic, but the spell effects were striking and bright, and contrasted well against all of the murk so that we could see everything important. So far that isn't the case.

Last edited:

Gregz

Arcane
Enemies no longer seem to have striking color palettes, like that white glow of horrors, or the bright red of burning dead. Will magic packs have a bright blue hue? Will Ghosts' casting their bone spirit-like spell be a huge glowing orb of white? Will the corpse spitters fire huge bright green loogeys at us?

The original may have been dark, grimey, and all things gothic, but the spell effects were striking and bright, and contrasted well against all of the murk so that we could see everything important. So far that isn't the case.

Apparently many of the Diablo II art assets were lost during production.

Harthwain

Magister
Hard to pay attention in last 50 pages sperging out about some faces. When original is this:

unknown.png
Nice try, using a picture where Amazon is not selected and therefore standing in darkness.

Here is a picture where everybody is selected (the upper row):

3d4481b5343c55535a687d885e75ddf2.jpg

And a special bonus, a picture from a blog of somebody who's named Lilura1:

1.jpg
Honestly, trying to argue that the Amazon can be 50-years-old matron instead of mid-20-years-old fighter is retarded, but at this point it is obvious that you are arguing in a bad faith. It's either that or you're really stupid.

Perkel

Arcane
Honestly, trying to argue that the Amazon can be 50-years-old matron instead of mid-20-years-old fighter is retarded, but at this point it is obvious that you are arguing in a bad faith. It's either that or you're really stupid.

No one argues about age. Everyone sperging about jawline. Which you show that in original game she had stronger jawline in this pose than in remaster. She always was german helga.

Dramart

Learned
No one argues about age. Everyone sperging about jawline. Which you show that in original game she had stronger jawline in this pose than in remaster. She always was german helga.
Bullshit she looks like a woman without a doubt. It's not about the jawline because there are woman with strong jawline. The new amazon is a man and it was intentional of course.

Eirinjas

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
The Paladin was obviously black. Even his voice actor is black. Did a bunch of you unwittingly ~gasp~ play as a black man in a video game :lol:

Not sure why any of that matters though. You can hardly see anybody's face in-game and as far as voices go they all had great VA.

Yes Blizzshit was also woke then, and the only reason we are where we are is that nobody challenged this then.

As a kid i couldn't stand the fact he was black so i couldn't wait until i could cover his face with an helmet.

Was i racist then? No, what bothered me is that a black Paladin made no sense. It bothered me because it ruined the archetype.

You know what never bothered me? The sorcerer from D1 also being black. The sorcerer being black didn't even register in my brain but the black paladin did.

I always thought he was a Saracen. Saracens wearing medieval armor makes sense. Zulus in medieval armor is retarded.

Dexter

Arcane
Would someone here explain what people's complaints with LoD are? I remember thinging Act 5 was pretty great, and liking nearly everything LoD brought to the table. Did the Nephalim bullshit begin with LoD? I don't remember that getting going until D3. It's been a very long time since I played.
I played Diablo II for months and months and even picked it up and played it again years later, I think I had various Lvl ~93-97 or even 8 characters on B.Net and I owned LoD, but I don't think I've ever actually played the fifth Act. One of the main reasons for buying and installing LoD for me was that it improved the Base resolution of Classic Diablo II from 640x480 to 800x600. It's a really long time ago now, but I remember thinking that the Runes are wank and Gems were good enough for improving Rare weapons, the looting game seemed worse and I never liked the additional characters that LoD added with the Assassin and Druid as opposed to the iconic Barbarian/Sorceress/Necromancer/Amazon/Paladin. They always seemed like a kind of lame addition.

Reinhardt

Arcane
I've never heard a single complaint about a character being turned into a hotter version
And you have examples of such alt-right white supremacist coomer crime?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom