Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Geneforge 1 - Mutagen Released

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Geneforge 1 - Mutagen; Spiderweb Software

Geneforge 1 - Mutagen, the first remake in the new series of remakes from renowned remaker Jeff Vogel, was released yesterday. Judging by reactions to the demo earlier this month, it might be Jeff's best new release in a while, although of course it helps that the source material is very strong. He didn't write any blog posts to promote the game this time, so all we have is this press release:

February 24th, 2021 – Spiderweb Software Inc., makers of fine indie adventures for over 25 years, announces the launch of our new, unique fantasy role-playing epic! Geneforge 1 – Mutagen, a truly unique and innovative fantasy sci-fi hybrid, is out now for $19.99 on Steam, Epic, GOG, and other storefronts for Windows and Macintosh. An iPad version is also in development for release later in 2021.

Geneforge 1 – Mutagen is one of the most open-ended role-playing games available. Choose between a host of rival factions. Use magic or your deadly pets to crush your enemies. Or, use trickery, diplomacy, and stealth to win the game without ever attacking a foe. Destroy the final boss, or switch sides and join him. Fight alone or create your own army of custom-made mutant monsters.

In Geneforge 1 – Mutagen, enter the world of the Shapers. The Shapers are wizards with the awesome power to create life. Need a servant, or a pet, or a tool, or a mighty beast to fight and die for you? The Shapers create it, and it totally obeys you. Usually.

At least, that's how it's supposed to be. You have been stranded on a forbidden island, full of powerful, lost secrets of your people. Invaders are also here, trying to steal and master your knowledge. Race them for the awesome treasures hidden here. And destroy the thieves. Or join them.

Geneforge 1 – Mutagen is a total remaster of the 20-year old indie classic Geneforge. With the help of a successful Kickstarter, this new game is a completely remade and greatly expanded recreation of the original. A large demo is available on Spiderweb Software's website.​

As stated, the Geneforge remake is available now on Steam and GOG for $20, with a 15% launch discount until next week. The launch discount makes it a bit cheaper than Spiderweb's previous releases, so that's nice.

Last edited by a moderator:

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
QXWoNclh.jpg

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
What are the major differences between this and the original?

Main Stuff:

New content spread evenly about, including a new settlement.
Changes to creation system. You give them abilities rather than directly changing their stats.
Stealth skill replaces luck.
Some new creations.

Jared

Barely Literate
I enjoyed the Geneforge series, though I am a bit disappointed to see that there is, currently, no native Linux port available for the game given that his latest releases included such.

EtcEtcEtc

Savant
Geneforge is great - if I ever get a hankering to play the original again I'd probably pick this up.

I wish he would hire an artist with his kickstarter money though. I get that he's never going to challenge the big boys, but he could get someone in to come up with some kind aesthetic other then pea green shit.

jac8awol

Arbiter
At least the blogs last time generated a few talking points that may have translated into interest, into sales? This one just slid out silently like an aerodynamic stool.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
So is this worth getting? I never actually played any of Vogels stuff, sad to say.
The original Geneforge 1 was awesome. Nonlinear with tons of hidden content you might miss if you don't explore properly. Interesting choices to make.

I'm kinda wary about this one after the Princess Maker 1997 or whatever the last one was called. That could've been an OK game, but somehow Vogel managed to fuck up the graphics engine so that it became more cumbersome. And introduced Girlie Kingdom Sim elements which felt out of place.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
So is this worth getting? I never actually played any of Vogels stuff, sad to say.
The original Geneforge 1 was awesome. Nonlinear with tons of hidden content you might miss if you don't explore properly. Interesting choices to make.

I'm kinda wary about this one after the Princess Maker 1997 or whatever the last one was called. That could've been an OK game, but somehow Vogel managed to fuck up the graphics engine so that it became more cumbersome. And introduced Girlie Kingdom Sim elements which felt out of place.

He hasn't dumbed anything down significantly with this one from what I can tell so far. It's probably a pretty safe starting point for the series.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Is there any new content?

I've not got very far yet (Hobo Elf seems to have got further), but I've noticed bits and pieces of new content scattered around.

Hobo mentioned a new town/settlement as well.

This. There's a new town with a 4th minor faction of serviles. There was a vendor selling some decent but pricey equipment. There was another area within the town that was locked away from me since I was low level at the time, but I've now cleared the next area as well and gotten the ability to shape the new Mutagen creature, the cockatrice. I'm not proficient with Magic shaping so I have no idea how it performs, but I did take a look at its skill + passive list and it seems to be fairly cool and so I think for my next run I'll go the magic route again just to try this cock. Other stuff I got were two sets of gloves that can be enhanced at various pools you find around the world, but you can only upgrade one of them per pool so you need to choose which one you wanna soup up. I also got another quest to go somewhere else and talk to more people who are also exclusive to Mutagen but I've not gotten that far yet.

Otherwise there are some other changes here and there: mostly remixed item placements, additional shaper loot that didn't exist in the original game, canisters locations have been changed and I think there's a few new ones added as well. There's a junk bag that has infinite space and only your equipped items count toward your character's encumbrance, so Shaper characters won't be totally worthless during combat.

I think if you like Geneforge 1 and want to replay it, then Mutagen is the superior version here. There's a significant amount of new content and the new shaping mechanics are exciting. If you've never played a Vogel game then this is a great place to start as well. Geneforge is his best series imo, with Geneforge 1 & 2 being the best entries. This remake is the same game as the first one but better in the ways that I think matters.

Zanzoken

Arcane
Original

ss_661f3899fad4e1f6b7706bdfd919b6df59c5f416.1920x1080.jpg
"Remake"

ss_24ac26cf2bfdf79a085a0a95b83a658e425bca36.1920x1080.jpg
Props to Vogel I guess because anyone else would be castigated for putting forth so little effort.

V_K

Arcane
If you've never played a Vogel game then this is a great place to start as well. Geneforge is his best series imo, with Geneforge 1 & 2 being the best entries. This remake is the same game as the first one but better in the ways that I think matters.
I mean, that kinda actually makes it a pretty bad place to start with Vogel games because anything else after that would feel like a downgrade.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom