Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Real-Time with Pause is Garbag...eh forgetit.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
So there is this guy who makes some good content about cRPGs (he can also be pretty funny). He made a good analysis video about the shortcomings of RTWP systems, and suggested some possible solutions for it.

I thought you guys and gals might be interested in it:
This is because of Ontopoly He forced me to post this ->
You are a bunch of losers if you like RTWP. Educate yourself with this ->

Last edited:

Doktor Best

Arcane
Wasn't that the guy who made that video where he complained about Pathfinder Kingmaker for two hours, which i then stopped watching when he was lamenting about the absence of level scaling?

Unwanted

Sweeper

Unwanted
Zionist Agent
Strat-Edgy has made some kinda bad videos, not convinced
His Kingmaker and Underrail vids prove that you shouldn't listen to anything he says.
When I think of e-celebs, like hbomberguy, the guy is kind of a smug, lefty cunt that throws in political based quips in his vidya videos and smugly chuckles at them. It's the type of personality that makes me homicidal, but he's not wrong on vidya.
Strat-Edgy is just straight up retarded.

vazha

Arcane
video analysis is garbage. *
End of discussion

*I might treat myself a SSeth review or two on Sundays, but thats an exception that proves the rule.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
I saw this video yesterday. Not sure why he included Skyrim shit in the thumbnail other than as shameless clickbait. His problem with RTwP seems to stem from issuing an attack order with his entire party instead of controlling them all individually, and then getting annoyed when the pathfinding is wonky and his casters trigger AoOs.

Sarathiour

Cipher
I gave a glance to his kingmaker video last year, by watching 3 random segment, and every time he was criticizing something who was factually not in the game.

So yeah, i'm gonna give it a pass.

Unwanted

Sweeper

Unwanted
Zionist Agent
Yes, Hbomberguy can regurgitate what CRPG circles had been saying for years. New Vegas good. 3 bad. Any original thought he formulates on these games or any topic in general is fucking retarded.
I'm glad we agree.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
Video format is decline, he should write a blog. I wouldn't read the blog because I think his opinions are pathetic but he should. RTWP and TB can coexist. I like some variety, and they both offer a lot

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
Only game that bypassed my visceral hatred of pausable combat is KotOR. Miss out on some phenomenal games due to that, no doubt. Kills a game as effectively as isometric an viewpoint.
just like turn-based combat, isometric camera is a design decision born from budget constrains. and I agree, it's a detriment to the experience.
What's also up with all the Isometric hate in there?

Summarizing the video:
  1. He wants action queues.
  2. He doesn't like poor enemy AI.
  3. He prefers the vacuum of TB actions because it's easier to execute intentions.
My response:
  1. Everyone agrees action queues are good. It was one of NWN2's virtues, actually. Neither revolutionary nor controversial. He attributes RTwP to busy-work throughout the video, even though he doesn't name it as one of his formal points. In reality, he's complaining about character skill design (Pillars of Eternity), and the ability to change and tweak tactics on the fly. This ties in with bullet #3.
  2. Poor AI causing enemies to group around your leading tank is a problem unto itself, not a problem with RTwP. Even enemies in unmodded Baldur's Gate will switch targets. The Sword Coast Stratagems mod demonstrate far more sophisticated behavior that does not result in the "bunching" he dislikes.
  3. This is really the heart of TB vs RTwP. In RTwP, the opponent doesn't wait for the player to act. Execution is less precise but more dynamic and efficient. The player can see in real time how their choice was sub-optimal and need to react to the AI, rather than act unimpeded. This is a less soothing experience and demands greater attention. This is the major culprit with the common refrain that RTwP is "messy" and "busy work".

Lurker47

Savant
Video format is decline, he should write a blog. I wouldn't read the blog because I think his opinions are pathetic but he should. RTWP and TB can coexist. I like some variety, and they both offer a lot
Only game that bypassed my visceral hatred of pausable combat is KotOR. Miss out on some phenomenal games due to that, no doubt. Kills a game as effectively as isometric an viewpoint.
:?
just like turn-based combat, isometric camera is a design decision born from budget constrains. and I agree, it's a detriment to the experience.
Neither nor.
What's also up with all the Isometric hate in there?
:?:?:?:?:?

In RTwP, the opponent doesn't wait for the player to act. Execution is less precise but more dynamic and efficient. The player can see in real time how their choice was sub-optimal and need to react to the AI, rather than act unimpeded.
Ideally, yes. Ideally turn-based requires actually dynamic decision-making as well. Very few games live up to either of these though.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
I think a big mistake people make with RTWP is turning on character AI. You pretty much have to control all your characters. I don't even know why they have the option

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom