Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
This doesn't change the fact that you can't really compare a guy in armor beating up an old wizard in a forest to an ALIEN SPACESHIP FIGHTING OFF DEVILS AND DRAGONS IN LITERAL HELL

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
But yeah, Gorion vs Sarevok is obviously not a squadron of dragons and plane-hopping denizens attacking a Cthulhu ship FROM SPACE going on a casual trip through *literal* hell.

Gargaune

Magister
^ that's not epic, they are just a few people who have a vested interest in the region on behalf of their organization.
you're right
it directly followed a battle between the antagonist of the game and Gorion, a very powerful mage who was capable of going toe to toe with a red dragon and living.

take your rose tinted glasses off please
All of which you learn much later, as in "BG2 later" and isn't out of step for the setting by the point it's revealed. As far as you know at the time, your foster father got whacked in the woods by some creepy fuck with a nice suit of plate, it's all rather mundane in context.

Codex Year of the Donut
^ that's not epic, they are just a few people who have a vested interest in the region on behalf of their organization.
you're right
it directly followed a battle between the antagonist of the game and Gorion, a very powerful mage who was capable of going toe to toe with a red dragon and living.

take your rose tinted glasses off please
All of which you learn much later, as in "BG2 later" and isn't out of step for the setting by the point it's revealed. As far as you know at the time, your foster father got whacked in the woods by some creepy fuck with a nice suit of plate, it's all rather mundane in context.
It's of little surprise to me that codex is full of a bunch of fakes who didn't know the lore and therefore didn't understand the importance of candlekeep or why gorion would be someone important.
Let me guess: you think running into elminster was also just a random encounter with an old man?

You people are ridiculous.

Codex Year of the Donut
You're right rusty, watching both scenes once more made me realize that they are epic in the same exact way:

"game released in 1998 has less impressive cinematics than game slated to be released in 2022+"
I am shocked by this revelation. Shocked.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
"game released in 1998 has less impressive cinematics than game slated to be released in 2022+"
Yes, cinematics are the only difference between those two videos. Forget the alien spaceship traveling between planes while being stalked by dragons.

But hey, Gorion casts a couple of Magic Missiles and a Lightning Bolt. Wow.

Codex Year of the Donut
Yes, cinematics are the only difference between those two videos. Forget the alien spaceship traveling between planes while being stalked by dragons.
"big red flying thing more scary, me not understand concept of powerful mage. UGG ANGRY!"

Gargaune

Magister
It's of little surprise to me that codex is full of a bunch of fakes who didn't know the lore and therefore didn't understand the importance of candlekeep or why gorion would be someone important.
Let me guess: you think running into elminster was also just a random encounter with an old man?

Yeah, that's called metagaming, champ. What the player knows and what the character knows, or rather is exposed to, in this case, are two different things. Try and be a bit more prestigious.

Codex Year of the Donut

Yeah, that's called metagaming, champ. What the player knows and what the character knows, or rather is exposed to, in this case, are two different things. Try and be a bit more prestigious.
You're right.
Gorion's ward had what, 20? years to learn about Gorion and know that he was one of the most powerful mages in the coast.

The Jester

Cipher
What rusty think the Gorion vs Sarevok is:
af6907ccad72acbd6630c1ee58cbe365.jpg

What it really is:
2ddee696995e0998d6514342cb95ac01_w200.gif

Miserable Panda

Educated
AAA games are incompatible with humble beginnings, now more than ever. BG 1 was a really nice mix, from the get go you know that you are the chosen one in some way, but you still have the time to enjoy a low-level campaign exploring the wilderness, it was a nice balance. There must be some exceptions, but from the start of 2000's I don't recall seeing something like this from a major studio, especially with the Spectre and Grey Warden shit from Bioware itself.

Gargaune

Magister
You're right.
Gorion's ward had what, 20? years to learn about Gorion and know that he was one of the most powerful mages in the coast.
All you're told is that "you have spent most of your twenty years of life within this keep's austere walls, under the tutelage of the sage Gorion", so you know precisely how much he or the monks have told you - apparently, that's that he's a sage. And seeing as Gorion appears exclusively in the Baldur's Gate series, I don't know what you're harping on about any wider "lore."

So, to reiterate: from the protagonist's perspective, at the time it happens, Sarevok's ambush boils down to a handful of well-armed murderers ganking an old mage in the woods. Stop metagaming.

Codex Year of the Donut
You're right.
All you're told is that "you have spent most of your twenty years of life within this keep's austere walls, under the tutelage of the sage Gorion", so you know precisely how much he or the monks have told you - apparently, that's that he's a sage. And seeing as Gorion appears exclusively in the Baldur's Gate series, I don't know what you're harping on about any wider "lore."

So, to reiterate: from the protagonist's perspective, at the time it happens, Sarevok's ambush boils down to a handful of well-armed murderers ganking an old mage in the woods. Stop metagaming.
You explicitly made this not about metagaming therefore any knowledge gorion's ward should know is relevant. Stop moving the goalposts.

The Jester

Cipher

What it really is:
back in my day we had imagination, zoomer.
I'd appreciate it, if Larian too like Bioware could tickled my imagination, boomer.
The cinematics are 100x better when you learned to use your imagination. Sorry you're missing out, zoomer.
Larian's cinematics gave you everything on a golden plate there is no space for imagination anymore.

Codex Year of the Donut

What it really is:
I'd appreciate it, if Larian too like Bioware could tickled my imagination, boomer.
The cinematics are 100x better when you learned to use your imagination. Sorry you're missing out, zoomer.
Larian's cinematics gave you everything on a golden plate there is no space for imagination anymore.
the female characters are still wearing clothes
you have much to learn

Gargaune

Magister
You explicitly made this not about metagaming therefore any knowledge gorion's ward should know is relevant. Stop moving the goalposts.
What are you even talking about? What should the protagonist know and why? That Gorion fought Firkraag? Or that he once rolled with the Harpers? Maybe Gorion told him, maybe he didn't, the point is that Sarevok's ambush stays within the realm of the relatively mundane, as the Forgotten Realms go, there is nothing indicating Gorion is anything more than a reasonably skilled old mage at the time. And he sure as hell ain't as outlandish as an Unidentified Flying Octopus.

The Jester

Cipher

What it really is:
the female characters are still wearing clothes
you have much to learn
I...I kneel.
kiss-the-foot-1.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom