Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter System Shock 1 Remake by Nightdive Studios

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Cyberspace had been one of the issues people had with the original game pretty much ever since its release. Making it more like Descent is actually a good thing since it keeps the 6dof of the original game that gives a different and more freeform navigation in the gameworld while making it actually navigable.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1598858095/system-shock/posts/3019900

January Update

Welcome back, Hackers!

We at Nightdive hope you had a great holiday season! Now for some news.

PC pre-orders will open near the end of February on Steam, GOG, and the Epic Game Store. This will be accompanied by the release of our final demo which will include the medical level, cyberspace level, full dismemberment, all newly recorded voice lines, and a ton of additional features and polish. We will still improve on the experience as we get closer to launch so please check it out and share your feedback with us on Discord. The feedback we’ve received for the previous demos has been invaluable to us and we greatly appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts. Console versions of the demo will come later.

We’d also like to announce that anyone who pre-orders System Shock remake will receive System Shock 2: Enhanced Edition for free and ALL Kickstarter/Backerkit backers who backed at the $30 level or higher will also be receiving SS2:EE for free. It’s our intention to release both System Shock remake and SS2:EE around the same time. SS2:EE has evolved into more than what we were intending. This will be a complete source port to our KEX engine. All the character and weapons models are being remade, and we’ve received permission from the Shock community to include many of the mods that have become standard for many Shock 2 veterans.

These include:
  • Vurt's Space Textures, Flora, Hi-res Water, Organics/Goo
  • ACC's Four Hundred (400) Hi-res Terrain Textures
  • Eldron's Psi Amp
  • Olfred's Fixed Objects
  • Grosnus' Hi-Res Spinning Marine/Navy/OSA logos
  • SCP
  • SHTUP
  • ZylonBane's New Quest Notifier
  • Vaxquis Vintage Song Remake v1.0 Mod
  • Mercurius' Tacticool Weapon Replacements
Here is a quick look at the before and after of the protocol droid. We’ve added more detail to both the poly model and the texture while retaining as much of the original as possible.

4e2ce6e15dd5b9b363bc59264c59ab63_original.jpg

We are also working on a standalone VR version of System Shock 2, but more news on that later.

dd86fe48246a3ac0325e89800753a285_h264_high.jpg

In the meantime, check out what else we’ve been working on!
Concept Corner
ca8ba74a08978dc5a9d75a07c578bc0d_original.png

Here we have the Beta Grove concept by Robb Waters, which serves as a great reference to each Grove area. Robb, along with the team, takes time to thoughtfully reimagine how the station will come together in a modern way.

89d61865ff18b306944b7870a5c2f11c_original.jpg

89d61865ff18b306944b7870a5c2f11c_original.jpg

2eb9edf7175018ad95075f959c503e47_original.jpg

Next, we have a rendered version of the grove outer and path leading to it. These are modeled and then painted over by artist Robert Simon. These not only help with the concepting phase but the actual creation of the final asset.

28134eb3681ffa665b0c6896cb83e6c8_original.jpg

2bdb02677271d5c9ece6fcfc6bc27a70_original.jpg

Be sure to familiarize yourself with the escape shuttle concepts above, you will be needing to make a hasty getaway later...

In-Engine Preview
24d2e158f98b841797af840b4e469dde_h264_high.jpg

f2c555e51c723aa2d1e7d3b3532a8029_h264_high.jpg

Look closely at the surroundings, or else you will miss a few secrets!

3edb4d585c78db8df036909a2119bf6f_h264_high.jpg

Every detail with the blood and gore is important to us and we hope you enjoy even the little details.

4c7184b7523fde4c959e0d12cb63c950_h264_base.jpg

5f47beefafd936ee09345d38ae4f55fb_h264_base.jpg

Designed for laser welding and cutting, the Hopper works in coordination with Repair-Bots for major repair jobs. Now, we have a better look at the new “HOP-3R", built for top of the line mobility on the station.

76e605674340b0bf174b1f41b87fc5a8_h264_base.jpg

7b2bc5d3dbf36c3780edf364cd34b762_h264_high.jpg

As you may know, we are bringing a grenade launcher for all your favorite explosives to help you survive your time on Citadel. Here you get to experience the first-person view for the first time.

9e9a2974e434cea2fe857929d3e456e1_h264_base.jpg

I think it is safe to say that the Mantis Assassin is just a bit more frightening than your standard Cyborg Assassin. You will have to be sure to keep your distance and maybe take advantage of that grenade launcher.

dd3501cb05841c24838e1ae142beabc1_h264_high.jpg

Executive-level hosts a number of conference rooms, living quarters, and other lavish facilities. The feeling of this Executive theater is very imposing, but it is just 1 of many things that truly builds the mood.

Be sure to follow us on:

Nightdive Twitter

System Shock Twitter

Nightdive Facebook

Nightdive Discord

Nightdive Instagram

See you next time!

e52b8631b037b554493a24249daba6e4_original.gif

Ash

Arcane
Wait, demo? Still?
rating_lulz.gif

Fuck modern game dev is brutal.

I'm not seeing the point in SS2:EE, except making Nightdive money of course. It will also be weird in that it's more like an incomplete "enhanced edition", since for example tacticool and rebirth are incomplete. Cash grab. I won't mind so much providing Nightdive go on to doing great things with that cash, but what are the chances of that? We'll see. Kick pls?

anyway, I'm looking forward to playing System Shock remake whenever it's actually out.

prengle

Savant
I won't mind so much providing Nightdive go on to doing great things with that cash, but what are the chances of that? We'll see. Kick pls?
go ask him on twitter/systemshock.org/the official nightdive discord™ yourself big man :3

shout-out to Thufir Hawat in the kickstarter comments section for being an absolute fucking madman:
14mJQhO.png

SumDrunkGuy

Imagine giving away your hard earned cash for some make-believe project on some shady site that has ripped off countless people prior, and then being angry about it afterwards. LOL. Loooosers.

Feyd Rautha

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I won't mind so much providing Nightdive go on to doing great things with that cash, but what are the chances of that? We'll see. Kick pls?
go ask him on twitter/systemshock.org/the official nightdive discord™ yourself big man :3

shout-out to Thufir Hawat in the kickstarter comments section for being an absolute fucking madman:
14mJQhO.png
System Shock 1 is huge. There's a ton of different enemies, weapons, ammo types, audio-logs, radiation and poison, altercation of status affects by drugs, there's cyberspace and then there are all the different gadgets. It's not that hard to understand that such a feature rich games takes time to remake. When I'm thinking of it System Shock 1 stands out as an insurmountable achievement. It was so ahead of its time. Or was it just the pinnacle of its time? It's like the game was part of another paradigm in gaming.

Trithne

Erudite

14mJQhO.png
System Shock 1 is huge. There's a ton of different enemies, weapons, ammo types, audio-logs, radiation and poison, altercation of status affects by drugs, there's cyberspace and then there are all the different gadgets. It's not that hard to understand that such a feature rich games takes time to remake. When I'm thinking of it System Shock 1 stands out as an insurmountable achievement. It was so ahead of its time. Or was it just the pinnacle of its time? It's like the game was part of another paradigm in gaming.

Not everything is making it into the remake though - some weapons are being cut, and of the gadgets, pretty certain the sensurround isn't coming in, since never mind implementing it in a new game, using it crashes the source port of the original.

Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Not everything is making it into the remake though - some weapons are being cut, and of the gadgets, pretty certain the sensurround isn't coming in, since never mind implementing it in a new game, using it crashes the source port of the original.
I take it you're following the development, right? Can you, please, elaborate on which weapons and gadgets will be cut? Will any enemies be cut as well?

Trithne

Erudite
I take it you're following the development, right? Can you, please, elaborate on which weapons and gadgets will be cut? Will any enemies be cut as well?

HXDybMFaSO563BwhhpV37BBNuzrcFXoFp9mC4P2U5GZhznpSQOq6XMypJrUyGf60006krlialxyec9tNpUjhgp712BhEN3y0HqLX2hcYyPh_oRfUxBdDljDYw6zmVq_kDpJ9acur25EMqORf28EzHERWu-NSMFduqX1SmjIwxFZHAGdakHFJNmhu_4jRABv7AKZAruQV8GK_Ii_4BZeDcrRH5V1obszLfjZkeNztaV3Quqene90bULMmJTGR0PiOZknxqkIgxVhhi-igMMCV0rU1fP7t=s0-d-e1-ft

From an older email, this seems to be the lineup they're going with.

Missing is the Dart Pistol, Flechette, Riot Gun, Stun Gun, Blaster.
For grenades, so far we've seen Gas, Frag, and EMP - Not known if they will implement Conc bombs, nitro packs, and landmines.
New weapons are the Shotgun (likely replacing the flechette in role) and a grenade launcher for use with the same grenades you can throw by hand.

No enemies appear to be getting cut yet, they're actually adding new ones (Mantis Assassin, an Assassin driod with melee weapons), and redesigning the existing ones in some cases (Shockbot will turn into Flierbot when you deal enough damage to it).

Hardware attachments are unlikely to change over much, except for the Sensaround, which is known to be getting cut, unknown if any replacement. So far it seems that hardware items that are mostly irrelevant are coming in without changes (biomonitor still tells you nothing useful unless you really want to know you're high on fatigue).

JDR13

Arcane

14mJQhO.png

The updates from Nightdive have been pretty consistent, so I'm not sure what that guy is talking about. I think he has an axe to grind because he's butthurt about something.

Yeah, it sucks that it's taking so long, but it's obvious the game is legit and will eventually be released.

prengle

Savant
it seems like that because it was ahead of its time and has enough depth that i doubt nightdive will actually manage to successfully recreate it. maybe if they hadn't wasted a year on hopelessly trying to switch to unreal so they could "reimagine" ss1 as a survival horror game i'd be a little more confident in them, but i'm afraid the ss1 remake isn't the only thing they've bungled
The updates from Nightdive have been pretty consistent, so I'm not sure what that guy is talking about. I think he has an axe to grind because he's butthurt about something.
he clearly has an axe to grind but he does a far better job of grinding it than any other anti-nightdive zealots i've seen, possibly because nightdive is still off most people's radars and the shit they do is innocuous in comparison to the rest of the industry

JDR13

Arcane
it seems like that because it was ahead of its time and has enough depth that i doubt nightdive will actually manage to successfully recreate it. maybe if they hadn't wasted a year on hopelessly trying to switch to unreal so they could "reimagine" ss1 as a survival horror game i'd be a little more confident in them, but i'm afraid the ss1 remake isn't the only thing they've bungled.

They did switch to the Unreal engine, so that part at least wasn't a failure. Whether or not they bungled the game remains to be seen.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Release on Summer:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1598858095/system-shock/posts/3080200

February Update

Welcome back Hackers!

We’ve got a very special update this month - as you are aware we’re releasing our final demo and opening pre-orders on Steam, GOG, and the Epic Games Store which should be available as you read this. This is a major milestone in our development of System Shock and once again we’d like to thank you for your continued patience and support while we diligently create the experience you originally backed all those years ago.

Our development road was bumpy (to say the least) - but ultimately what you’re playing is the vision and experience we set out to create and the adversity and challenges we’ve faced along the way has only improved the final game. The team has evolved and grown considerably and we hope that the end product will meet your expectations. With all that said we are planning on a late Summer 2021 release date.

On to the demo - Let’s run through all the updates!

NEW Cyberspace Level! (tame those cyber doggies!)

NEW Crew Audio Logs! (no devs this time!)

NEW SHODAN Audio! (Terri is back!)

NEW Dismemberment! (if Viva Pinata were rated M!)

NEW Proximity Mines! (don’t get too close!)

NEW Bugs! (tell us what you find :D)

NEW Enemies! (the repair bot is flamin’ hot!)

NEW GenerativeMusic System! (never the same song twice!)

NEW Snack! (make your selection at the Snacktron!)

NEW Save Feature! (what a novelty!)

NEW Notes System! (USB 1.1 support!)

NEW Difficulty Modes! (crank it all the way up to 3!)

NEW Destructibility! (smash that glass!)

NEW DLSS Support! (update your drivers for your RTX card!)

NEW Trailer! (a ton of new reveals!)

NEW Nightdive intro! (who’s that lurking in the depths?)

NEW Secrets! (first to post a picture of the special skull to our Twitter wins a prize!)

So check it out and please tell us what you think - we value your feedback and look forward to hearing from you.

-Stephen

Demo Live here:

Steam

GOG

Epic Store

In the press:

PC Gamer Article

Alienware Stream and Giveaway!

Please enjoy these amazing ultra-wide beauty shots from @CreamyElephant

https://twitter.com/CreamyElephant

f18163386b4f8da893e81d2232a8bafa_original.jpg

e0c5df815afb2ca701ae3241cb6efaee_original.jpg

3d2ae35bd4a56c1a18177ff683587ac5_original.png

3cf6bfeba4f97d38463ebbd4396a1054_original.png

d97308f06720fca89bbed5e3901c1700_original.png

Concept Corner
If the demo wasn't enough for you, here is a little taste of something special…

Concepts from the Hacker's apartment!

a215d0c195d251968cde7047d9c95a26_original.jpg

e93c479e60c41ff9fb7f6f7beaf33c6f_original.jpg

In the original game, you only get a glimpse of the space the Hacker occupies before being taken away to Citadel Station. Artist Robb Water’s took the time to build something that really brings a new atmosphere to the world of the Hacker and System Shock.

7312630df4cb43522df29d0d53b7a282_original.jpg

f0acdd6ccdd69ef580eb612eaadf0680_original.jpg

7680409a0b2bf8bccaaac22e9c43488a_original.jpg

Platform Announcement
We’re also excited to announce that when we launch System Shock later this year, it will also be available for Amazon Luna, the new cloud gaming service from Amazon.

Studio/KEX News
A patch for Turok 2 on the Nintendo Switch is set to release on the 25th:

- Online multiplayer!

- Re-enabled German audio localization

- Support for gyro for some third-party controllers such as the Hori Splitpad in handheld mode

- Stability

Be sure to follow us on:

Nightdive Twitter

System Shock Twitter

Nightdive Facebook

Nightdive Discord

Nightdive Instagram

See you next time!

e52b8631b037b554493a24249daba6e4_original.gif

Pre-order and demo update are only live on GOG right now but I think Steam will follow in few hours.

Last edited by a moderator:

Venser

Erudite
IDK if I want to play the same demo section for the 5th time looking at what little detail they improved or downgraded this time.

randir14

Augur
Played it for about 10 minutes but I really like what I'm seeing. I've noticed a few things that will piss off the purists though, including some level design changes where the older demos were more faithful to the original game.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm more of a "preservation purist" in that i want the games to be available as they were, but i think in the case of System Shock Night Dive has done a good job since they provide both their enhanced edition which improves modern OS compatibility and controls (thus making the game more playable) but also the original edition (at least on GOG). Though i can't say the same for their other games - i'd like to have the original Turok versions for Windows for example. But for SS1 they've been doing fine.

I didn't expect the game to be ready so soon either but they've probably not showing anything beyond the early maps to surprise people (hopefully in a good way :-P).

I'll be download the demo soon after some other stuff have finished, i liked their earlier demos.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom