Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grand Strategy Imperator: Rome - the new grand strategy from Paradox

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Be nice at my senility. I remember it's from time when Saxons migrated, found they would have to live according to foreign laws not Saxon ones, and returned back to original area. Don't remember exact date. But Frank-ly I'd expect a pre EU4 game to last at least 1000 years. And have events for all these 1000 years.

Senility forgiven! But yeah nah there's no Migration Period PDX game yet, really imperator only covers the Hellenistic Age and little else. I don't know many games that cover the MP besides like the original Rome Total War's expansion or Attila, which is a shame.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Wait, what the fuck? There's no Germanic military traditions in the game? Weren't there some before?
Goddamn Paradox.

e:
unknown.png

:smug:
There are Saxons, Bavarians. Germ-many is relatively new. It happened when EU killed all anti-epidemic barriers with its ideology of mixing everyone into one pot to become somehow equal in skills to Latin America population.

Of course if they forgot about Saxons, Franks and other stuff. That would be bad. They should add the infamous event when Saxons sold fake gold in south Frankonia? and killed theirs economy for decades.

That's not what I'm talking about. The game has a military tradition tree for various cultures like Celts or Britons but none for Germanics. So you're forced to pick between the latter two as a Germanic tribe. Its stupid.

AgentFransis

Cipher
Patron
You mean LARPing. But these are strategy games you know, at least in theory. It's fine to LARP to an extent but the point of a strategy game is to play smart and efficiently. If you're not doing that then you're just looking at a map and masturbating and you'd be better served to buy an ancient atlas and go do that on your bed.

kinda cringe bc most of the time they're not hard enough to be a decent challege in those terms (which is why minmax'ing is a sad).
That's why I usually play paradox games for 2-3 playthroughs and then get bored. You either play a real nation and have no challenge or play a two hut microstate and have to out-autism the retarded AI to get anywhere.

Be nice at my senility. I remember it's from time when Saxons migrated, found they would have to live according to foreign laws not Saxon ones, and returned back to original area. Don't remember exact date. But Frank-ly I'd expect a pre EU4 game to last at least 1000 years. And have events for all these 1000 years.

Senility forgiven! But yeah nah there's no Migration Period PDX game yet, really imperator only covers the Hellenistic Age and little else. I don't know many games that cover the MP besides like the original Rome Total War's expansion or Attila, which is a shame.

I imagine Paradox will never, ever make a game where Muhammad will be an actual character who can be killed or otherwise thwarted

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
So how is this right now? Give it a couple more years?

Don't be fooled by the idiots who claim it's a whole new game. The same fundamental issues remain, it's still an empty map painting sim. Character interactions don't matter. Religions and cultures don't matter. Some of them are completely neglected right now. There's tons of oversights and bugs. AI is still retarded.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
That the AI doesn't work doesn't even matter. AI being dumb is fine as long as they can respond to individual player actions. If anything it just makes the player feel smart. The problem is this shit doesn't work for the player side either.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Okay, so...
Your main levies as a Germanic tribe are Light Inf, Light Cav and Heavy Inf. Makes sense I suppose.
Now, what do the military traditions available to me improve, by and large? Chariots and archers. There are perhaps 4 unlocks available to me in both trees that help my troops.

:hmmm:

e:

Gentlemen, I present to you the 10 year old Roman king.
king.png

And here's the state of Europe. It's... okay I guess? As you can see Rome has blobbed like a cancer.
europa.jpg

Last edited:

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Goddamn, I tried playing a semi-tall game as Massalia but republics feel like absolute ass, the place swarms with barbarians and your only chance is to hire mercenaries. But you need money, which you can't really make even with good trade in the beginning.

Vatnik Wumao
Goddamn, I tried playing a semi-tall game as Massalia but republics feel like absolute ass, the place swarms with barbarians and your only chance is to hire mercenaries. But you need money, which you can't really make even with good trade in the beginning.
The only good option is reforming into an imperial cult. :obviously:

zapotec

Liturgist
Damn i bought it last summer on a sale but i bothered to play it just now, i don't understand a shit.
I thought it was a sort of CK2 but instead it seems like an excel simulation decorated with roman eagles.

Damn i bought it last summer on a sale but i bothered to play it just now, i don't understand a shit.
I thought it was a sort of CK2 but instead it seems like an excel simulation decorated with roman eagles.

I would offer my mortal soul for a CK2 style game in antiquity, and both Rome and the hellenistic realms would be a perfect setting for such a game. But I highly doubt that current-day paradox has the ability or the imagination necessary to actually make such a game. Even CK3, while mechanically competent, is just a full on meme-game or breeding simulator, with near zero immersion for the time period.
On topic: Imperator is a decent map painter, thats it. The gameplay is shallow and repetitive.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
How to play Etruria in 2.0: Delete every building, invest all your tech into military stuff, raise a legion of HI/HC, maybe hire some mercs with the leftover cash, rush Rome asap. Conquer Latium. Give the Romans citizenship.
Congratulations, you are now Rome. The world is your oyster from that point on.

e: They have Zoroaster in the game but didn't bother to give him some sensible traits.

zoroaster.png

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom