Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry & Disco Elysium: how are these games the same genre?

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Couldn't google this one. Can you share a link?
It was on the first pages, I think.
118784.jpg

Golden Sky Stories is a heartwarming, non-violent role-playing game from Japan, by Ryo Kamiya. In this game, players take on the role of henge, animals that have just a little bit of magical power, including the ability to temporarily take on human form. You can be a fox, raccoon dog, cat, dog, rabbit, or bird, and each kind has their own special magical powers. Players will then attempt to solve problems around a small enchanted town with ingenuity, co-operation and friendship.

Golden Sky Stories requires one Narrator, 2-4 players, pencils and paper, and tokens to keep track of Dreams.
Sounds very, very exciting. Yawn.
Moderntards not only think that DE is RPG, they don't even know what tabletop RPG is. They think that games without systems are RPGs, they think that freeform games with loosest and insignificant rules are RPG, probably they think that Snakes and Ladders are RPG too. Dunno about Golden Sky, I don't saw it rules, but I saw how some psychology game at best (something where you are "assuming a role of a person from retirement home") was called best TRPG of whatever. Ridiculous.

Harthwain

Magister
Moderntards not only think that DE is RPG, they don't even know what tabletop RPG is. They think that games without systems are RPGs, they think that freeform games with loosest and insignificant rules are RPG, probably they think that Snakes and Ladders are RPG too.
Ironically it's you who have no idea what you're talking about:

https://discoelysium.com/devblog/2016/09/30/design-ethos-role-playing-system

https://discoelysium.com/devblog/20...-arguably-worlds-simplest-role-playing-system

Testownia

For being an "insignificant CHYOA interactive novel" people sure do bitch a lot about Disco Elysium.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik

I said it to Kasparov several years ago and say you again: No combat - not RPG.
I don't care that they have done around their table. Worldbuilding, storytelling, cocksucking, I don't care. They could call their game (pretty fun and atmospheric, I say) by any term that they want. RPG, RTS, 4X, fucking anything. It would not change the fact that this is not RPG, but the adventure game with a stats. Sorry, V_K, as I understand, CYOA is a subgenre of adventures.

Also someone is really, really upset with me.
dWK2cxbQ_o.png

:butthurt:
Last time when I made someone so upset it was Mynon. Or was it Lord Azlan? Ah, can't remember.

EDIT: You rated another my random comment :retarded: after I rated yours butthurt. p. balanced.
Do you like PoE?

Last edited:

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
But there's combat in Disco Elysium, you just experience it through the same interface used for dialogues. I count at least three combat encounters: The Pigs, Ruby, and the mercenary tribunal. If stuff like Apocalypse World and Dungeon World count as RPGs, then Disco Elysium is an RPG. But if you don't consider this "old" new age stuff RPGs, then I guess Disco Elysium also isn't one.

Terenty

Liturgist
Calling DE not rpg because it doesn't have combat is just autistic screeching.

DE has everything to be a great rpg, all the systems are in place. It's the execution that's very weak. If the game had widely different outcomes for quests/branching and all that good stuff depending on your skills(the same skills that are already in the game), and a better balanced economy(risk/reward) people wouldn't have any problems proclaiming it the best rpg ever made.

As it is, although a brilliant game, it's a rather barebones experienece when it comes to the rpg side of things. But not because there's no combat.

Harthwain

Magister
1) You claimed that people who think DE is an RPG "don't even know what tabletop RPG is" and that the game is "freeform", "without systems". The links I've provided prove how clueless you are, because they both discuss - in detail - the tabletop roots of the system. Trying to spin it around by saying "I meant no combat!" is laughable.

2) There is combat.

https://discoelysium.com/devblog/2018/05/03/combat-in-disco-elysium

I could go into details here, or dig up some of my older posts on combat in RPGs in general, but I don't feel like it at the moment. Maybe later.

Also someone is really, really upset with me.
Not really. I make it a point to rate anyone as retadred 5 times for each time I get rated without a post. It's my way of protesting against easy cop out button.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Harthwain
Well, that is pretty lukewarm and sad posting history.
Not surprising that I don't have a fucking clue who you are even with yours 1.5k posts.

But there's combat in Disco Elysium, you just experience it through the same interface used for dialogues. I count at least three combat encounters: The Pigs, Ruby, and the mercenary tribunal.
That's not a real combat, it's just a skillcheck.
Look at these two screenshots. One game, you have a combat screen on one screenshot and not-combat CYOA part on the next. DE is similar to second screenshot, not the first.
Vckkz3tw_o.png

MEcVA3yD_o.png

If stuff like Apocalypse World and Dungeon World count as RPGs, then Disco Elysium is an RPG. But if you don't consider this "old" new age stuff RPGs, then I guess Disco Elysium also isn't one.
*Googles Dungeon World*
Dungeon World is a fantasy tabletop roleplaying game created by Sage LaTorra and Adam Koebel.
I know that name! That's a DM who describes for ten fucking minutes how android player character is raped by random people out of blue.
DUpZKmpVQAAxB4_.jpg

coomer.png

Sorry, I'll pass. Too much soy and coomerism.
Jokes aside, I read its description and it looks like pretty shitty TRPG.

EDIT:
Harthwain said:
Not really. I make it a point to rate anyone as retadred 5 times for each time I get rated without a post. It's my way of protesting against easy cop out button.
Well, suit yourself, cum guzzling, nigger-loving faggot. :M
EDIT:
fTws9X99_o.png

Well, :lol: Pathetic. Simply pathetic.

Last edited:

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
So what? I have learned about your existence today.
For many years we had here my thread about games that you need to play to understand genre. Then someone unpinned it. Look at the results! Dumbfucks are everywhere.

Codex Year of the Donut
Moderntards not only think that DE is RPG, they don't even know what tabletop RPG is. They think that games without systems are RPGs, they think that freeform games with loosest and insignificant rules are RPG, probably they think that Snakes and Ladders are RPG too.
Ironically it's you who have no idea what you're talking about:

https://discoelysium.com/devblog/2016/09/30/design-ethos-role-playing-system

https://discoelysium.com/devblog/20...-arguably-worlds-simplest-role-playing-system
14245931-2007072714444093735300.jpg

Testownia

So what? I have learned about your existence today.
For many years we had here my thread about games that you need to play to understand the genre. Then someone unpinned it. Look at the results! Dumbfucks are everywhere.

Oh, look, comrades! I found Lilura's long lost twin brother! I also took the opportunity to correct one of your grammar mistakes.

Testownia

Oh, look, comrades! I found Lilura's long lost twin brother!
She thinks that I'm "buttmad grandpa", so I'm her grand-uncle at best.
I also took the opportunity to correct one of your grammar mistakes.
Thank you, little one. You are such a sweet boy.

n3F3Np8i_o.png

But alas not the sharpest tool in the shed, I say.

You got so butthurt you went and searched for something you didn't like, took a screenshot, edited the post, and pasted it here. Whew, lad, take your medication.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
You got so butthurt you went and searched for something you didn't like, took a screenshot, edited the post, and pasted it here.
Sorry, wee one, it took me 40 seconds tops. If you are a computer illiterate, don't think that others are too. Checking that person thinks about Grimoire is a 100% working litmus test to find about their mental abilities and wholesomeness as a CRPG lover.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
But there's combat in Disco Elysium, you just experience it through the same interface used for dialogues. I count at least three combat encounters: The Pigs, Ruby, and the mercenary tribunal. If stuff like Apocalypse World and Dungeon World count as RPGs, then Disco Elysium is an RPG. But if you don't consider this "old" new age stuff RPGs, then I guess Disco Elysium also isn't one.
There are a grand total of two encounters in Disco Elysium where the player-character actually has a fight with at least one other person --- Measurehead and the "Tribunal" --- and even these are scripted events where the outcomes depend on a few skill checks.

A game without exploration isn't an RPG, a game without combat isn't an RPG, and Disco Elysium has neither. Pity most Codexers lack familiarity with Choose-Your-Own-Adventure books and the Gamebooks they spawned.

Ci6cRbg.png

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Itt combatfags who've never played a Pathfinder campaign in their lives fail to realize role playing games are about having fun with a player character.

Being a combat fag is second.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom