Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ANTHEM - failed Destiny clone from BioWare

Mary Sue Leigh

Erudite
Hah, who didn't see that coming?
Even Destiny 2 is still around and just had a new uh.. whatever, update, DLC?
And people used shit on that a lot, too, including ""big names"" such as Jim Troon Spergling if memory serves.
Whether rightly so or not, it stuck around longer anyway so I can only assume it's bringing in the dough in adequate numbers.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Killing whatever update they were working on seems like the dumbest thing they could've done. This is definitely a move that's going to kill whatever goodwill they had with their fanbase that was still hanging onto some hope with this. Going to be interesting if this hurts upcoming BioWare games. Could be funny to watch.
Bioware: makes Dragon Age 2
Bioware: makes Mass Effect 2
Bioware: makes Mass Effect 3
Bioware: makes Dragon Age Inquisition
Bioware: makes Mass Effect Andromeda
Bioware: makes Anthem
Bioware: censors Mass Effect Legendary Edition
Bioware: kills Anthem

Players: Wow, this is definitely a move that's going to kill whatever goodwill they had.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Killing whatever update they were working on seems like the dumbest thing they could've done. This is definitely a move that's going to kill whatever goodwill they had with their fanbase that was still hanging onto some hope with this. Going to be interesting if this hurts upcoming BioWare games. Could be funny to watch.
Bioware: makes Dragon Age 2
Bioware: makes Mass Effect 2
Bioware: makes Mass Effect 3
Bioware: makes Dragon Age Inquisition
Bioware: makes Mass Effect Andromeda
Bioware: makes Anthem
Bioware: censors Mass Effect Legendary Edition
Bioware: kills Anthem

Players: Wow, this is definitely a move that's going to kill whatever goodwill they had.
Hmm i think that they are getting more and more good will with every blunder they make,they do deliver on entertainment for sure.....and even it comes in for free.

bat_boro

Arcane
So let me get this straight, Bioware spend years hyping this turd up, proceed with live action movie marketing, assure the user base that they have 10-year "plans", produce a buggy mess, it fries and bricks users' consoles, tell everybody "don't you worry one bit, we'll fix this via anthem next" and then proceed to cancel that altogether... and no lawsuits were filed and/or the EA doesn't pull the plug? :lol:

This industry is pure cancer, even without getting into the whole propaganda angle

typical user

Arbiter
1. Developed for nearly 8 years by hundres of people with enormous budget
2. Developers didn't knew what they were making until management released a demo on E3
3. Crunch in the studio without clear direction of what they were trying to accomplish
4. Failed release with broken balance and cutting corners < Cyberpunk 2077 is currently here
5. Content updates / patches were shit according to Reddit
6. Management pulled the plug after another 2 years of fruitless work on the path of relaunch

GTA 3 was developed by a team of 20 programmers and it took 2 years of development.

The industry is shit.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
1. Developed for nearly 8 years by hundres of people with enormous budget
2. Developers didn't knew what they were making until management released a demo on E3
3. Crunch in the studio without clear direction of what they were trying to accomplish
4. Failed release with broken balance and cutting corners < Cyberpunk 2077 is currently here
5. Content updates / patches were shit according to Reddit
6. Management pulled the plug after another 2 years of fruitless work on the path of relaunch

GTA 3 was developed by a team of 20 programmers and it took 2 years of development.

The industry is shit.

Thats what happens when you replace talented developers with diversity hires.

Hellion

Arcane
Sad Reacts Only.

https://www.pcgamer.com/anthems-remaining-diehard-fans-mourn-its-death/

Anthem's remaining diehard fans mourn its death

In the wake of BioWare's failed shooter being cancelled, Anthem's remaining players are commiserating and reflecting on what went wrong.

Ak79zn3xCcsFiwnjD9zQsV-320-80.jpg

When BioWare announced that it was ceasing ongoing development of Anthem yesterday, the news wasn't exactly surprising. Flying around in super-powered exoskeletons was a thrill, but Anthem's wings were clipped right from launch. It was a mess of half-realized progression systems and broken combat, reportedly the result of years of troubled development. But that doesn't mean Anthem's demise isn't disappointing to the few remaining players hoping that BioWare could pull off an unlikely comeback.

It might surprise you that, despite the overwhelmingly negative reception to Anthem and BioWare's inability to sustain the game with frequent updates, thousands of players still remain active in its different online communities. The subreddit still has 170,000 members, while its official Discord server currently has over 4,000 online members. Even though the future looked bleak, a lot of people still believed in Anthem.

Holding onto hope
One of those who was still rooting for BioWare is a player named Vargoth. He recently sunk 70 hours into Anthem, and came to believe in its potential and BioWare's ability to save it. Weeks ago, when news began circulating that EA would be reviewing BioWare's progress on Anthem Next, a rework of the original game, devoted players began rallying under the banner of #IBelieveInAnthem to show their support.

"[It] made me decide that I want to support a community that needed the support in hard times like that," Vargoth explains. So he and his Guild Wars 2 guild decided to take a virtual vacation in Anthem's world for a bit. "Even if it wasn't much, I decided to jump in, because even a little bit helps. The whole internet came to support Anthem on our subreddit, being positive and wholesome that everything was going to be alright, until it wasn't and it went the entirely opposite way."

Redditor Ohlander1 was also drawn to Anthem by that social media hashtag. He'd been waiting to hear the verdict of Anthem's final review with EA but decided to say "screw it" and buy the game anyway. "I thought I'd post a picture on the subreddit with the hashtag for fun, to maybe have a discussion or two, get some opinions on the current state of the game or whatever," he tells me. Six minutes after posting to the subreddit that he, too, believed in Anthem, BioWare made the announcement: Anthem was dead. "At first I thought the people commenting were just speculating and had given up hope, but when the first link dropped I just burst out laughing."

Fortunately, he was able to request a refund and get his $10 back.

Not everyone I spoke to had Ohlander1's unfortunate timing, but some were close. "I was actually playing Anthem when the news hit," Vargoth says. "I saw lots and lots of messages on our Reddit's Discord and, obviously, felt sad. I knew that it was a 50/50 chance from the start."

Vargoth, like many players on the subreddit and Discord, had a hunch the future was grim. But that didn't make yesterday's news any less surprising. Almost immediately, the Anthem subreddit became filled with posts of players commisterating together or criticizing BioWare and EA for how it handled the situation. Some made grim references to Anthem's "10 year plan," while others angrily said that they wouldn't be purchasing future BioWare or EA games.

"Some people are outraged, some are saddened," a player named agentCGBSpender tells me. He's been playing Anthem since 2019 and claims to have sunk nearly 4,000 hours into it between its different console versions. "I'm just glad there's no more of this false promise that they're going to do something else with the game which is what we've been waiting on for a year. I think criticism of BioWare and EA for how this game was handled is totally fair, even though I played it a ton."

"In the end I just see missed potential all around with Anthem," Ohlander1 says. "All those years put into a project that in the end amounted to very little. The time Anthem took from the studio could have been used to make two other games nearly. The world of Anthem probably could have made for a cool singleplayer RPG setting. Without Anthem we probably would have gotten expansions for [Mass Effect: Andromeda]. There's so much stuff you could say about Anthem and what it 'ruined', so for it to now be doomed to just fade into nothingness is pretty disappointing."

It's the same bittersweet mess of emotions that any community experiences when the game it was founded upon goes away. When popular PC MMO PlanetSide shut its servers down in 2016, thousands of players gathered for one final battle. And when Asheron's Call closed its servers after 18 years, players logged in to mourn the apocalypse of its virtual world by the hundreds. Fortunately for Anthem, BioWare said it won't be shutting down the servers any time soon, but without new updates and an already dwindling population, Anthem will be a ghost town. Eventually, it'll disappear altogether.

For many Anthem loyalists, that reality stings, because they genuinely think parts of the game are great. "Being entirely honest, I've loved everything in the game," Vargoth says. "Starting from the story and flying to combos, endgame and the community—especially the community! The people are really nice and we've all bonded quite fast."

"I played Destiny so I kinda knew what to expect from Anthem but also, I didn't," says a player named Musely. He's one of the founding members and moderators of Anthem's subreddit and Discord server. "It was clear BioWare wanted to branch out from [Dragon Age] and [Mass Effect] and I was interested in seeing that. It was very clearly different from their other games and I loved the foundation they had."

Of the players I spoke to, the one common feature everyone talks about is Anthem's flying Javelin mech-suits. In the hyper-competitive genre of loot shooters, being able to soar around like Iron Man was one of Anthem's best ideas. The top post on the subreddit currently is recommending players return to Anthem for one last joyride through the green valleys of Bastion.

I reviewed Anthem when it launched, and fully expected players to praise its flying, but what caught me by surprise is how the community itself has become the reason so many stuck around. "It's been great to see this community slowly take shape over time," Musely tells me. "People really stuck with the game and waited for the news, good or bad."

When I first joined the Discord server I expected it to be empty, but players were chatting, posting photos of their Javelin exosuit paint jobs, and asking for help with specific missions. You almost wouldn't even know that Anthem had been cancelled a day earlier. "This is a perfect example when even if a game dies, a loyal and friendly community can still keep it going no matter what," Vargoth says. "I am still going to be playing the game, because I love the community and helping new players."

Not everyone feels the same: "I think I'm done with Anthem," Musely says. "I'll still be here to manage the community and help people sort things out but overall, I won't be logging onto the game again even if the servers remain up. I'm not sure about the future of the community in the long term but for now, we're still here."

Despite the sad news about Anthem, a lot of players were also excited to know that part of the decision it was killed was reportedly to divert more resources towards future BioWare games like Dragon Age 4 and the new Mass Effect game. That said, many were also saddened by the idea of Anthem's worldbuilding and lore going to waste, and are hoping that BioWare might one day revisit it.

"There is always hope, there is none only when you think so," Vargoth says. "It's not about the end point, it's about the journey you have along the way. The people you meet, the new friends you make and the fun you have."

Codex Year of the Donut
Of the players I spoke to, the one common feature everyone talks about is Anthem's flying Javelin mech-suits. In the hyper-competitive genre of loot shooters, being able to soar around like Iron Man was one of Anthem's best ideas. The top post on the subreddit currently is recommending players return to Anthem for one last joyride through the green valleys of Bastion.
The most well loved part of the game was entirely due to an EA exec. There's some cosmic level irony here.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Are you retartet. EA 8is* BIO. BIO is not a separate company. EA owns BIO in every way. When a BIO producer makes a choice - good or bad - that is an EA employee making a choice. If you work for BIo you work for EA which means it is ALL EA.

Don't be a moran.

I don't hate EA. I enjoy their sports games (mostly), but they are BIO. BIO is not some independent company. They are a division of EA which means they are EA.

J1M

Arcane
Imagine being one of the EA executives overseeing Anthem and thinking for 23 consecutive months that spending more money to fix Anthem is a good idea.

ADL

Prophet
It was a good idea and they're fucking idiots for not finding some way to not only salvage it into something profitable but truly enjoyable. They almost had it but the randomized gear trait system was shit and it certainly didn't help when they used low playercounts as justification to stop supporting the game when everyone stopped playing because they told us to wait for overhauls and additional content that never came.

Why wouldn't you try to fix a $100 million dollar game by throwing a couple million at it to overhaul the loot systems and roll the dice? It worked for Sea of Thieves, Fallout 76, No Man's Sky, For Honor, Ghost Recon Wildlands, Rainbow Six Siege, Final Fantasy XIV, The Elder Scrolls Online, Star Wars The Old Republic and even EA Battlefront 2 and Fortnite. All those games were deemed "disasters" and "dead at release". Look at them now.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It worked for Sea of Thieves, Fallout 76, No Man's Sky, For Honor, Ghost Recon Wildlands, Rainbow Six Siege, Final Fantasy XIV, The Elder Scrolls Online, Star Wars The Old Republic and even EA Battlefront 2 and Fortnite.
Of those, only Fallout 76 was as fundamentally broken from the inception. And it's a miracle they managed to turn that into something at least a few people seem to be able to unironically enjoy. And they did that by aggressively patching and communicating. While Anthem communication was mostly just silence.
NMS was no MMO or even really very "games as a service", so lots of things don't really compare here.

The only thing that worked in Anthem was that the flying around was a fun novelty.
They did well in cutting their losses instead of pouring more money into a bottomless pit.
At this point, people have long given up on the game anyway, so even if they did pull off a miracle - nobody would be around anymore to play it. That's probably what EA realized.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I stopped playing because of lack of content after the story was done and because they were supposedly adding stuff and doing the overhaul. I'm far from the only one in that boat. Had they actually pulled their shit together, I was considering getting a copy on a different platform.

Like I've said before, this was their best game in years and it had most of what it needed to be a great experience all around. I can only figure that the team still working on it was completely incompetent to not realize that or be able to capitalize on it and bring it to market in a better state.

Vatnik Wumao
I stopped playing because of lack of content after the story was done and because they were supposedly adding stuff and doing the overhaul. I'm far from the only one in that boat. Had they actually pulled their shit together, I was considering getting a copy on a different platform.

Like I've said before, this was their best game in years and it had most of what it needed to be a great experience all around. I can only figure that the team still working on it was completely incompetent to not realize that or be able to capitalize on it and bring it to market in a better state.

Most of the core team left as the game languished in half hearted development for years. The people taking over also refused to take advise from the SWTOR team who were brought in to consult.

J1M

Arcane
It worked for Sea of Thieves, Fallout 76, No Man's Sky, For Honor, Ghost Recon Wildlands, Rainbow Six Siege, Final Fantasy XIV, The Elder Scrolls Online, Star Wars The Old Republic and even EA Battlefront 2 and Fortnite.
Of those, only Fallout 76 was as fundamentally broken from the inception. And it's a miracle they managed to turn that into something at least a few people seem to be able to unironically enjoy. And they did that by aggressively patching and communicating. While Anthem communication was mostly just silence.
NMS was no MMO or even really very "games as a service", so lots of things don't really compare here.

The only thing that worked in Anthem was that the flying around was a fun novelty.
They did well in cutting their losses instead of pouring more money into a bottomless pit.
At this point, people have long given up on the game anyway, so even if they did pull off a miracle - nobody would be around anymore to play it. That's probably what EA realized.
You have to consider the people you have working on a project, not just the potential upside on investment.

Famously, the designers were cutting the only fun part of the game (flying) before an exec mandated it be more prominent.

abija

Prophet
Imagine being one of the EA executives overseeing Anthem and thinking for 23 consecutive months that spending more money to fix Anthem is a good idea.
Is there any real evidence they did that instead of pretending while spending resources on other projects?
It's very similar to what CliffyB pulled.

Ebonsword

Arcane
Sell the code to a company that can use it to make a good Iron Man game.

Sell it? Ha ha. Right.

What's more likely to happen is that the next Mass Effect game is going to look and play suspiciously like Anthem (got to recoup that investment somehow!).

Reinhardt

Arcane
He's dead, Jim
https://blog.bioware.com/2021/02/24/anthem-update/

Anthem Update

Friends,

In the spirit of transparency and closure we wanted to share that we’ve made the difficult decision to stop our new development work on Anthem (aka Anthem NEXT). We will, however, continue to keep the Anthem live service running as it exists today.

Since Anthem’s launch, the team has been working hard to continually improve the game, releasing multiple updates that brought with them a variety of improvements and introduced new content to play. Towards the end of 2019 we expanded on that effort and started working on a more fundamental restructure of the game.

During the development we’ve provided updates revealing some of the team’s work through blog posts and conversations with you on social media and it’s been inspiring for us to see the positive reactions and feedback. I’ve been incredibly proud of the work the team has been doing, and excited to see and play each new build of the experience.

2020 was a year unlike any other however and while we continue to make progress against all our game projects at BioWare, working from home during the pandemic has had an impact on our productivity and not everything we had planned as a studio before COVID-19 can be accomplished without putting undue stress on our teams.

I know this will be disappointing to the community of Anthem players who have been excited to see the improvements we’ve been working on. It’s also disappointing for the team who were doing brilliant work. And for me personally, Anthem is what brought me to BioWare, and the last two years have been some of the most challenging and rewarding experiences of my career.

Game development is hard. Decisions like these are not easy. Moving forward, we need to laser focus our efforts as a studio and strengthen the next Dragon Age, and Mass Effect titles while continuing to provide quality updates to Star Wars: The Old Republic.

To the Anthem community, thank you for your passion and creativity. Your feedback and suggestions most certainly help shape the team’s direction, and on a personal note, your kindness and encouragement were much needed last year.

Please stay safe and be kind to each other. Strong alone, stronger together.

Christian

Sorry, but Wrong_Carlo already predicted it. I'm glad he didn't lost his touch.

I do think the game could potentially find an audience if they released it on steam. Especially if they made it free to play.
They are likely holding it back for a re-launch.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom