Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Breathedge - Russian Subnautica set in space

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/738520/view/3032580854236015284

Comrades! The announcement of the release date is almost there, yes indeed, we’re about to tell you when it will happen, we even left some hints here and there for you to find, but nothing too precise, we’re shy like that...Well, it doesn’t matter. What does matter, is that we’re finally almost ready to release our game! It will happen this month - in February. The Man hasn’t suffocated yet, and what we want to do is share this little teaser with you. Check it out!

I bought the game when it first released because it was cheap and I heard good things, I enjoyed what I played but what was waiting for the full release... These devs have started to piss me the fuck off though with their bullshit. First was them changing the 1.0 date from November 2020 to now because they decided to go w/ a publisher that just HAD to make sure console versions were ready (really cool to delay a game for paying customers, guys) and localizations that could have been done after 1.0 launch in november tbqh. then they casualized it by making giving you more oxygen (it really wasn't that big of a deal once you started to make oxygen stations) and I fear more O2 will just ratchet down the tension A LOT. and now they finally give a release month but can't be bothered to actually give a fucking release date. also they bundled the game before it even left early access ffs.

fucking russians.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
You need to calm down and smell the space roses.

If you'd checked their previous announcement, they made it pretty clear that it would be in the last week of February. There are probably *reasons* why they're being vague about certain things, though, and I suspect the publisher deal.

There was also a small teaser trailer to go with this release, here it is.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't care what their reasons are. They shouldn't fuck around with paying customers. Their publisher has apparently "forced" them to: delay the release on PC for MONTHS, casualize the game and give paying customers the runaround. The publisher didn't kidnap them. They chose them. Why are you defending shitty practices?

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I don't care what their reasons are. They shouldn't fuck around with paying customers.

Why not? They already have your money (and mine). ;)

Their publisher has apparently "forced" them to: delay the release on PC for MONTHS, casualize the game and give paying customers the runaround. The publisher didn't kidnap them. They chose them. Why are you defending shitty practices?

Are you perpetually butthurt over everything?

I'm not defending their practices, I'm just pointing out possible reasons. I was bummed as well that Breathedge got pushed back (even though it was only by about four months) and I understand that publishers tend to set conditions that developers (and us players) don't approve of. That doesn't mean I approve of any of it.

Being a game developer today is a rough gig, getting a publisher is not easy by any means. I'm just grateful that it looks like we'll be getting a 1.0-release of the game it actually started out to be. I've seen enough "bait and switch"-scenarios in game development to be infinitely suspicious of everyone... that's not the case here. I've also seen enough cases of games that needed to be in development for a few more months (Alien: Isolation springs to mind).

The drama surrounding Breathedge is only a fraction of what it was around Subnautica. I think that's a good thing.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Ok couldn't wait so playing it now. About 7 hours in. I'm kindda loving it.

I wish they didn't make it a comedy game. I wish it THAT MUCH. Games like that are made for immersion and you can't have immersion with these constant quips. I mean many of them actually are funny but still... Imagine encountering a Reaper in the depths of Subnautica - with a top hat, saying hello to you in a funny voice as you float by. Yeah...

Other than that it's prettier and runs better than Subnautica. Too bad the game gives you all those stupid markers. Subnautica was way better at not handholding anyone. Whenever devs decide to go with just one difficulty level it's never ends well. I'm having fun regardless tho.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
So unfortunately after having a blast with the EA part of the game (the fist 3 chapters) the full release is a disappointment. Basically the 1st part is Subnautica in space, your classic survival/base building schtick. A lot of fun, can be challenging at a few places.

Sadly, once you launch your spaceship the game loses focus something fierce. Turns into a story-driven 3D space adventure. Ish. No more survival, nor more scrounging for resources, just flying around and untangling the story of your grandpa and the great coffin conspiracy. Stopped at the 6th chapter for now, maybe the endgame will pick up again, but not holding my breath tbh. The devs clearly didn't know what to do with this game after the initial stage.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Disappoiting, I was interested into Space Subnautica and the humor quips I've seen really didnt impressed me much and are kinda juvenile so having to deal with tons of that stuff instead of playing Subnautica in space isnt really that interesting.

Played maybe a couple hours of it so far and I'm pretty clearly still in the space-Subnautica swing of things. Humor's been pretty hit or miss (Been playing a fuckton of Borderlands 3 and it reminds me of that, actually. Most of the humor misses but it's throwing so much damn shit out that a few pieces here and there land) and the exploration isn't as good as Subnautica (Both due to the setting, space wrecks just aren't as cool as an alien ocean, and by design. Which is to say Subnautica has clearer progression of being stuck near the surface until you get better tech/a vehicle and can start creeping deeper, then increasing depth from there. Breathedge leaves you stuck at air pockets and even though you can expand your range a bit, you don't have as clear of an idea of what you're capable of reaching as Subnautica) but overall it seems fine for the price. And better than a grindy survival/buidling game, like Subnautica it looks like it's more based on exploration rather than accumulating massive amounts of resources.

Sucks to hear it loses that eventually though. To be fair Subnautica shit the bed a little in the end game too, but it sounds like Breathedge may lose some of that continuing exploration which is a damn shame since that's the most enjoyable parts of games like this to me. Initial impression puts it under Subnautica but probably above the Forest, which was my previous second-place game of this style. Although it's also true there aren't very many games along these lines that DON'T veer off into grindy multiplayer survival crafting too hard.

orcinator

Liturgist
Gave it a try because I was bored.
I kind of like the humor.
The early gaemplay is pretty awful and consists of floating over to a wreck then floating back because you're getting low on oxygen. I'm close to getting an upgrade to my capacity but I wonder if there's going to be some actual hazards in this.

Another shitty part is the fact that crafting has to be done at the home base and takes 2-3 seconds PER ITEM, regardless if it's a tool (which have durability) or if you're just turning metal into refined metal and you can't even switch to a different crafting tab or the process get cancelled.

Update: I found the accelerator as well as the recipe for oxygen stations but I think I'll just uninstall unless I learn that there's more to the gameplay than floating to a wreck, looking for resources until the oxygen bar gets low then floating back to base.

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Ok so the endgame did not pick up. Not sure if this is gonna be a spoiler but maybe I'll save some folks a few hours.

P. much the rest of the game, from launching Normandy onwards, is running around linear hallways and following the story. There's occasional building of a gizmo or two but there's no challenge anymore since your environment is drenched in resources. There's also flying your Normandy from PoI A to PoI B, with the occasional space fight with the coffin robots. Riveting. Not.

Apart from that the survival element is completely gone, you're never in a zero oxygen environment and there's tons of food/water in every single room. There's also no base building anymore, you can't even go EVA, you're stuck with flying Normandy from airlock to airlock.

I have absolutely no idea what were the devs thinking here. The EA was so promising. FML. Moving on.

DeepOcean

Arcane
It doesnt make sense you starting on Subnautica gameplay and ending on a walking simulator, why discard the whole gameplay loop of the first part of your game? By the kind of jokes I saw, I have no curiosity to know their story.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
Ok so the endgame did not pick up. Not sure if this is gonna be a spoiler but maybe I'll save some folks a few hours.

P. much the rest of the game, from launching Normandy onwards, is running around linear hallways and following the story. There's occasional building of a gizmo or two but there's no challenge anymore since your environment is drenched in resources. There's also flying your Normandy from PoI A to PoI B, with the occasional space fight with the coffin robots. Riveting. Not.

Apart from that the survival element is completely gone, you're never in a zero oxygen environment and there's tons of food/water in every single room. There's also no base building anymore, you can't even go EVA, you're stuck with flying Normandy from airlock to airlock.

I have absolutely no idea what were the devs thinking here. The EA was so promising. FML. Moving on.
Maybe they ran into development trouble and just gave up and finished what they could?

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Yeah, the "humor" in this is probably the biggest downside.

Demo.Graph

Liturgist
I've tried and I dropped it for now. Here're some random thoughts.
It's a clone of Subnautica that managed to significantly improve upon the original. It definitely could be better.
I guess I'd return to the game after some time. The gameplay loop is there and it's nice.

- Compared to Subnautica it has a better engine that doesn't crash or bug out all day round. It has generally better entity mechanics (no fish flying over the water, no wall clipping or base modules jumping into stratosphere).
- Base building mechanics are generally better: base control panel is present, there're no idiotic things (like bases getting flooding over the water level).
- On the other hand, base building has less clutter and variety of game mechanics. You don't need a large hangar, for example, because there're not enough different vehicles to fill it. Crafting is primitive.
- They've also copied Subnautica base breach mechanics for no apparent reason - module cost and resource scarcity limit it well enough. And there're no game balance downsides to making a humongous base.
- Speaking about resource scarcity, during play I had no idea which resources are infinite and which are not. It was the same in Subnautica and it kinda bothers.
- The plot is good. Humans fucking each other around as well as plot based on conspiracy theories are infinitely better than retarded aliens from Subnautica doing retarded things.
- The map design is generally ok. They've managed to make a grey monotone environment of space differing enough for eye to not get tired.
- The humour is bad for me. Farting, politics, alcoengineering and vulgar Russian ("клюква") jokes might be good in moderation. There're too many of them here. They also create an impression that game designers are not confident about the quality of their product and try to hide behind foolery. I guess it might change in their subsequent games when devs would become a bit braver.
- The style is uneven. On the one hand it has a pretty nice meditative music for space floating and really goofy radio tracks on another. And the radio itself has only 4 or 5 tracks, so I quickly switched it off. It's definitely not on a level of GTA radio tracks. The game itself oscillates between episodes of serious survival and tongue-in-cheek bullshit, but the plot itself or the robovoices always try too hard to be funny.
- Movement mechanics also might've been better. Personally I'd appreciate newtonian movement and dV budgets limiting map movement. And more 3d environment - I mean, in the game's current state the majority of points of interest are placed on the local ecliptic or not far from it. A potential for strange geometry is wasted. But it might've made the game less accessible.
- Speaking about accessibility, I think that devs tried to make the game very friendly. The tips are overabundant, you never have to wonder what to do next. But at the same time there's a jump in difficulty in the beginning of the game that is not very thought through.
In the first minutes of the game you don't need oxygen refueling stations at all. You can fly everywhere you need, especially once you get a first air balloon. Then you suddenly need to make a chain of air stations, fly through the cold area AND wly into the unknown. And the game doesn't provide you with an indication of how many stations you would need. For me it was easy from the planning POW as well as gamey POW. But I can see how it might become a problem for general audience that doesn't like to think about the game. If they've placed a location that demanded a single oxygen generator to reach it would make for a much smoother progression, I guess
In case it's not obvious:
V = your max speed, it's shown in the center of the screen, Ox = your oxygen storage in seconds, V*O = max flight distance, D = total distance; a number of oxygen stations you need = (D/(V*Ox))-1; minus one is if you suppose that you'd get an oxygen deposit in the end of the trip.
edit: typos, clarity

Last edited:

lightbane

Arcane
Sounds like the start is good but the ending is trash. Sadly quite common in many games. Oh well, at least the game is not made by members of the woke cult who randomly fire their own for not being woke enough.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Sadly, once you launch your spaceship the game loses focus something fierce. Turns into a story-driven 3D space adventure. Ish. No more survival, nor more scrounging for resources, just flying around and untangling the story of your grandpa and the great coffin conspiracy. Stopped at the 6th chapter for now, maybe the endgame will pick up again, but not holding my breath tbh. The devs clearly didn't know what to do with this game after the initial stage.

Yeah, I was watching letsplays of Breathedge (mostly first chapter as I was looking for sane letsplayer who really love to play exploration game, the only one I have found was... Japanese one lol, the rest 15! were not able to formulate even simpliest rules like - look everywhere, or - fly around any structure in order to find everything a la "write a three-dimensional object in the sphere" - stupid retards I hate them) and then read that game falls apart in this aspect later on... such a dissapointment, no shit...

Russian ''''''''''''''''''''''''''humor''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

It's not specifically Russian, relax, take laxative. It's a men's humor mostly, and balanced - not rude, nor soy. Like it was common for a men like in 70-80s.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom