Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Darkness Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines 2 from Hardsuit Labs

Vatnik Wumao
Was there ever an inventory planned for Bloodlines 2? If there's no guns, then vendors would be unnecessary. Going even further, since vampires have superhuman toughness, armor would be unnecessary as well. The only thing the player would have would be the disciplines.

Vatnik Wumao
Going even further, since vampires have superhuman toughness, armor would be unnecessary as well.
Armor will always be beneficial as long as your "superhuman toughness" doesn't provide straight invincibility.

Its more a point that Hardsuit would use it as an excuse not to implement armor for the player character. You already have fortitude / blood heal / bullets cause bash not lethal.

Ravielsk

Magister
You really think Paradox got rid of them because of too much woke stuff? Is this serious post?

Too much woke stuff and complete utter incompetence go hand in glove. Say what you will, PDX has a sizable track record axing very public projects that fail to meet their expectations qualitywise rather than prod a mangled cripple towards the finish line no matter what.

This heap of trash is effectively cancelled, but since they own the IP anyway, they can start the development of another Bloodlines 2 from scratch at any time, so why generate negative media attention as evil meddlesome publishers who ruined a game by diverse and progressive studio when they can say they are just "transfering it to another developer".

I want to believe that PDX has seen the light and this whole "transference" is a late attempt to save the game but I would not hold my breath.

I want to believe that PDX has seen the light and this whole "transference" is a late attempt to save the game but I would not hold my breath.
Unless they announce explicitly otherwise, I wouldn't even assume the game is going to change significantly. The new developer will most likely just attempt to salvage what's already there.

mondblut

Arcane
The new developer will most likely just attempt to salvage what's already there.

There's presumably not much to salvage. The story stuff and maybe some art assets. I doubt anyone would volunteer to go through the code done by these hacks.

Would it be less pozzed than the hardsuit bloodlines? Likely not, as the source material is pozzed as fuck to begin with. Would it be a better game? Probably not, but it can't get any worse either. At very least, it could be that it won't have the who's who (or the butt buddies of who's who) of twatter blue checkmarkdom attached to it. I want these people professionally dead, their names associated with naught but disasters and canceled projects. If we can't take them down over their views, we would take them down over their incompetence.

Last edited:

DeepOcean

Arcane
Not tried Condemned no :) Its made all the way back in 2005 (a year after Bloodlines), guess they made better games back then :D

I played Condemned at the time and while the first person melee was great, I hated the fact that the weapons disintegrated. This was as stupid as in SS2, but at least it made some sense because you were supposed to be outnumbered! In Bloodlines on the other hand you are a powerfull vampire, even as a fledgling, and you had all the choices, you could play it as a talker, a sneaker, a brawler or a shooter or mix up all of these. Why throw that away and force people into one direction? That was a bad design move right from the start.
I think a compromise is possible, you would keep the guns but special ammo that actually was able to do more than tickle vampires and supernatural beasts were a rarity, guns were for humans, that is it. Guns with normal ammo would at best stun and weaken higher generation vampires and weaker supernatural beasts but not damage to kill them, only headshots from higher caliber weapons would be somewhat effective with normal ammo. Also, you were a thin blood, even Sabbat trash were more powerful than you, so you being overwhelmed by ghouls, low tier vampires and other thin bloods wasnt lore breaking.

It would be cool, the Prince sending you on a mission, a building was occupied by hobos and he wanted you to evict them on a way or another, he doesnt want to involve the police. So he sends you, what he didnt tell you is that he didnt want to involve the police because he suspects something fishy is going on that building complex where the hobos are, some charity organization was in there but he suspected that it was hiding something, your goal was to discover what, if you died trying, you were a thin blood, nobody cared about you anyway.

In the end, after initially slaughtering the hobos with ease, you discover there is a Tzimisce in there that was experimenting with thin bloods and he attracted a few in there that seek a "cure", but the Tzimisce wasnt exactly interested on a cure but experimenting on thin bloods because he was interested on their ability of having visions with Antediluvians and wanted to know if that could be learned for the Sabbat. As soon as you tell the prince what is going on, he tells you to get the hell out, however the Tzimisce has other plans. You have to fight sabbat goons, thin bloods and abominations to get out. If you manage to get out, the Tzimisce later sends a mensage to you with an offer claiming he has the knowledge how to reduce your generation, you only need to join the Sabbat and become a spy on the Camarilla as he knew the prince was the one that sent you there.

Last edited:
Vatnik Wumao
Not tried Condemned no :) Its made all the way back in 2005 (a year after Bloodlines), guess they made better games back then :D

I played Condemned at the time and while the first person melee was great, I hated the fact that the weapons disintegrated. This was as stupid as in SS2, but at least it made some sense because you were supposed to be outnumbered! In Bloodlines on the other hand you are a powerfull vampire, even as a fledgling, and you had all the choices, you could play it as a talker, a sneaker, a brawler or a shooter or mix up all of these. Why throw that away and force people into one direction? That was a bad design move right from the start.
I think a compromise is possible, you would keep the guns but special ammo that actually was able to do more than tickle vampires and supernatural beasts were a rarity, guns were for humans, that is it. Guns with normal ammo would at best stun and weaken higher generation vampires and weaker supernatural beasts but not damage to kill them, only headshots from higher caliber weapons would be somewhat effective with normal ammo. Also, you were a thin blood, even Sabbat trash were more powerful than you, so you being overwhelmed by ghouls, low tier vampires and other thin bloods wasnt lore breaking.

It would be cool, the Prince sending you on a mission, a building was occupied by hobos and he wanted you to evict them on a way or another, he doesnt want to involve the police. So he sends you, what he didnt tell you is that he didnt want to involve the police because he suspects something fishy is going on that building complex where the hobos are, some charity organization was in there but he suspected that it was hiding something, your goal was to discover what, if you died trying, you were a thin blood, nobody cared about you anyway.

In the end, after initially slaughtering the hobos with ease, you discover there is a Tzimisce in there that was experimenting with thin bloods and he attracted a few in there that seek a "cure", but the Tzimisce wasnt exactly interested on a cure but experimenting on thin bloods because he was interested on their ability of having visions with Antediluvians and wanted to know if that could be learned for the Sabbat. As soon as you tell the prince what is going on, he tells you to get the hell out, however the Tzimisce has other plans. You have to fight sabbat goons, thin bloods and abominations to get out. If you manage to get out, the Tzimisce later sends a mensage to you with an offer claiming he has the knowledge how to reduce your generation, you only need to join the Sabbat and become a spy on the Camarilla as he knew the prince was the one that sent you there.

The sad part is that this quest is probably more exciting than anything in the game.

Latelistener

Arcane
I hated the fact that the weapons disintegrated
I hear that a lot, but breakable weapons are a huge part of emergent gameplay. It forces to improvise in combat and creates unique situations.

And Condemned was great. In fact, Bloodlines 2 could win a lot from being somewhat similar so I support DeepOcean in this.

The problem is, Condemned was made by Monolith. Not many studios are on that level and certainly not Hardsuit.

Wesp5

Arcane
I hear that a lot, but breakable weapons are a huge part of emergent gameplay. It forces to improvise in combat and creates unique situations.

If done correctly like in Condemned, maybe. But most of the time it ends up in stupid wrench slapping like in SS2 ;)!

DeepOcean

Arcane
Of course when I'm theorizing, I'm assuming a competent studio, not Hard Suit Labs. I never trusted Hard Suit Labs would manage to make a game, let alone a good one.

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Wesp5 that Bloodlines 1 tutorial segment was always a thing? Came across that for the very first time the last time I played, after all these years. :lol:
Don't know if it was in the original version,but it was in the older ones without mods. Tho it is optional,but it gives you reward for doing it.

Eli_Havelock

Learned
Unless they announce explicitly otherwise, I wouldn't even assume the game is going to change significantly. The new developer will most likely just attempt to salvage what's already there.

Salvaging what could be salvaged was supposed to have been the job of the wrapper from Ubisoft - Paradox at the time were apparently still a bit optimistic about development. The announcement of Hardsuit being replaced was enough to shit Paradox's website, clearly indicating that Paradox are quite familiar and even okay with sub-par contractors as a regular feature of their operations, so that means Hardsuit really fucked up beyond normal.

It would behoove Paradox to keep the replacement developers out of sight as much as possible (at least until this thing is ready to ship) before the purity police cancel the real talent again, if any can be found willing to touch this. Any replacement is gonna have some real sour grapes from the jilted high school prom nepotism diversities who just got a pink slip instead of continued failing upwards as a career.

Wesp5

Arcane
Wesp5 that Bloodlines 1 tutorial segment was always a thing? Came across that for the very first time the last time I played, after all these years. :lol:
Don't know if it was in the original version,but it was in the older ones without mods. Tho it is optional,but it gives you reward for doing it.

If you mean Jack giving you the ropes, that was already in the original game and the patch only restores the cut dialogue guard section. If you mean the tutorial starting at the real back entrance of the theatre now, that is a very recent fix!

Spacer's Nugget

Learned
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

If you mean Jack giving you the ropes, that was already in the original game and the patch only restores the cut dialogue guard section. If you mean the tutorial starting at the real back entrance of the theatre now, that is a very recent fix!

Ah, that explains it.

I can see why it's there, how it could be useful/essential to some, especially newcomers, but kinda felt out of place in my experience. Not to say you didn't do a very good job at restoring it! :salute:

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Still no word from Brian on the recent events.

Also...

It appears that his car is filthy af. :lol:

I wouldn't have even noticed the filthiness if you hadn't pointed it out, good catch.
If you look closely, you can see the places where his gloves touched the top of his dashboard.

Broad strokes, no fingerprints. :shredder:

Who needs to clean the dirt, when you're always wearing protection?

1b1U4Oq.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Semiurge

Cipher
Every amateur artiste with delusions of grandeur and a thirst for attention on twitter thinks they can become a professional. And where do you think they will instinctively gravitate towards? Yes, "the arts". Not just any kind of arts, but the kind where they can fatten their already shapeless asses in front of a computer, doing what they're familiar with. It's a grand slam of self-expression opportunities for the naive and loud, a chance to "fight the good fight" with their art. The horrible truth is that they only get ahead because of their handicaps and beliefs, and if they don't, those two will be their excuses. They are toxic. Human Resources departments are just as guilty though, for emphasizing insignificant criteria just to make the whole company look better.

If you think that you deserve to be treated as an equal, prove it by behaving like an equal. Nope, it's much easier to just shift responsibility for your actions and lack of success to everyone else. Maybe you weren't breastfed enough, you were bullied, you are fat and ugly, you have a cock or a cunt when you want to own the other, and most importantly: you are a victim of the PATRIARCHY.

Last edited:
Vatnik Wumao
You are missing the point. They set the industry standards, making them your superiors. So if you want to be treated as an equal among them, knuckle down.

Unwanted

Sweeper

Unwanted
Zionist Agent
If we can't take them down over their views, we would take them down over their incompetence.
It'd be more fair to say that they take themselves down with their incompetence. It's a long process though, took 70 years for the USSR.
This whole thing was a pretty good shitshow, start to finish.

deuxhero

Arcane

SS2 also had the excuse that the game constantly talks about how everything on the ship is falling apart due to being built by the lowest bidder. Still way too fast, but at least there's a believable story reason.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom