Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Magic the Gathering Arena

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I was getting my ass BEAT by a red fast aggro deck a short while ago. My deck seems to struggle with this type the most, but thankfully there aren't that many at the mythic level.

Anyways, I finally managed to get my ashiok out and mill some of his cards. Then next turn I cast his own haste dragon and embercleave against him.

RAGE QUIT!!

Most entertaining draft thus far has been Golgari. Got the elf warmaster and Omagerd and then drafted a bunch of elves and it's surprisingly fun. Either win by spamming the stupid lantern a billion times or shitting out a massive army of elves (Which I can bring back with graveyard fuckery) and pumping with the warmaster. Actually took me from gold into platinum, which is strange since that means I've been playing more limited (Or doing better at it) than I have in constructed in probably near a year. At least in part since I usually play dumb shit and go into unranked. Also drafted a Sarulf which has been almost completely useless in the deck except people spazz out and use removal on it instead of the elf warmaster.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Most entertaining draft thus far has been Golgari. Got the elf warmaster and Omagerd and then drafted a bunch of elves and it's surprisingly fun. Either win by spamming the stupid lantern a billion times or shitting out a massive army of elves (Which I can bring back with graveyard fuckery) and pumping with the warmaster. Actually took me from gold into platinum, which is strange since that means I've been playing more limited (Or doing better at it) than I have in constructed in probably near a year. At least in part since I usually play dumb shit and go into unranked. Also drafted a Sarulf which has been almost completely useless in the deck except people spazz out and use removal on it instead of the elf warmaster.

I see strategies similar to this in mythic. Keep investigating men!

vEM8hAA.jpg

W0tOwPx.jpg

:yeah:

Unfortunately since the clock's running out on Kaldheim drafts (Although after playing semi-consistently through the whole thing, I think the AI must be updated on the fly. First few days of limited it was passing shit like crazy, got noticeably weaker as time went on) I'm not sure if I'm gonna do more just to pull cards or maybe blow 20k on Kaldheim packs and call it good enough. When the AI's generous limited's a good bit better for building a collection in a set, but when you're just getting your 3 rares and one unopened booster you're better off with cracking packs since 5k gets you 5 rares and nearly enough progression for an extra rare/mythic ICR on top.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
nothing wrong with opening packs, myself I like doing so. When mastery pass gets cleared I buy some on my own so that I can keep opening
unless you open white rare obviously. Such situation requires opening another

Bara

Arcane
I cant read the full article but people are reporting that apparently the WSJ is reporting here that they're going to do Lotr & Warhammer 40k crossover cards and will be announced at the confrence call.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/dungeons-dragons-gets-a-bigger-role-at-hasbro-11614254403

Right now there people saying its just a secret lair or cosmetic card skins others saying its a full set like forgotten realms.

It being warhammer 40k and not fantasy or even age of sigmar is really weird what are these guys smoking.

Last edited:

Bara

Arcane
Well they've been confirmed not to be standard legal.

MAGIC'S VOYAGES TO UNIVERSES BEYOND
Posted in News on February 25, 2021

wizards_author.jpg

By Wizards of the Coast

Archive

SHARE ARTICLE
ShareTweetShare
Earlier today, we revealed an exciting expansion of Magic: The Gathering into the realms of Universes Beyond—a series that combines the gameplay of Magic: The Gathering with worlds, characters, and stories that are cherished by millions of fans around the world.

Among those worlds are the expansive universes of Warhammer 40,000 and The Lord of the Rings, with others set to join as our Universes Beyond expands.

This expansion of the Magic game system to other universes is exciting and new, and certainly raises questions for many of our longstanding fans, so today we're going to answer many of those questions as we look toward the Universes Beyond release in 2022 and further.

Universes Beyond will act as a brand within Magic: The Gathering—existing in addition to and alongside our existing line of products.

Universes Beyond came about thanks to a simple thought—if we can expand our story beyond the game system to things like comics, novels, and other games, then surely we can expand the game system to let players explore worlds outside of the worlds of Magic.

We are all fans of these other universes. Many of us imagined what it might be like to play a game of Magic with Gandalf the Grey, sketched out how we might translate the One Ring to Magic, or wanted to build a deck around the mighty Space Marines. In many ways, Universes Beyond is us living out those dreams of our own.

But we also hope that Universes Beyond will bring the game we love to more people who might not have otherwise found us. We hope fans of these worlds and characters will find our game through Universes Beyond—and we hope they'll stay a while and become part of our amazing community.

We know you're curious about Universes Beyond. We can't answer everything you may be asking, but we are thrilled to set the table on a number of topics today.

First, Universes Beyond will be branded slightly differently and will have a specific look as a result. These are still Magic cards, through and through, but the frame will be distinct and cards will have a holofoil stamp that denotes them as being from Universes Beyond. It will look like this:

TWD_foilstamp.png

If that stamp looks familiar, it's because it already exists on Secret Lair X The Walking Dead cards, which will be grandfathered into Universes Beyond.

On that note, Universes Beyond products will generally be sold in all Magic channels—these will not be strictly Secret Lair products. The Warhammer 40,000 Commander decks, for example, will be available everywhere we currently sell Commander decks, as will The Lord of the Rings product. We may occasionally do associated Secret Lair products related to the main release, like the Secret Lair Godzilla lands when Ikoria: Lair of Behemoths came out. There will also be the occasional standalone product like The Walking Dead, but the intention is to typically make Universes Beyond as available as any other Magic product.

That said, Universes Beyond cards will not be Standard legal. We strive to make Magic cards that are widely useful, but Universes Beyond will be above and, well, beyond our normal Standard releases. So nothing much is changing with our normal cadence of releases for Standard. This is purely a cool thing we're doing in addition to all the other cool things we're already doing.

To that end, it's worth noting that the upcoming Magic set Adventures in the Forgotten Realms is not part of Universes Beyond. For now, we're reserving the Universes Beyond branding for worlds outside those built by Wizards of the Coast. As to whether the Forgotten Realms are now canonically part of Magic's Multiverse, for now, the answer is no. But we may change our minds in the future if it makes sense and is a fun net positive for Magic and D&D.

Finally, fans who have seen us try out a variety of treatments for cards featuring characters from other universes might wonder if we're utilizing the treatment from the Ikoria Godzilla cards—existing Magic cards skinned with the alternate universe—or the treatment used for The Walking Dead—alternate universe cards that stand on their own. The answer is "both," but often we'll default to letting these cards stand on their own. We may find charming opportunities to do the reskinned versions of existing cards and will continue to balance between the two as we move forward.

Universes Beyond represents an exciting, new, and, yes, different take on Magic. We're ecstatic to geek out over some of our favorite stories, characters, and fandoms alongside all of you, and we look forward to sharing more on Universes Beyond as we get closer.

Gyor

Savant
It seems more commander oriented from what I've read.

Yeah the Universes Beyond sets are only legal in eternal formats Commander/Vintage/Legacy, but not Modern, Brawl, Standard, Historic, Pioneer, Historic Brawl, ect...

Gyor

Savant
FR set is in a weird limbo, it's none MtG canon, but it could be in the future.

Like just put a fucking ring on it already and finish what you started, merge the two setting, because as more cross-over material is released it's going to get really confusing.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
Personally, I don't see any inherent issues with including alternate universes in the MTG storyline.

I mean the entire "planeswalker" story arcs imply to me the possibility of a multiverse at least.

An alternate story line isn't going to make up for bad mechanics or gamestyle though.

MTG has reskinned cards in the past with a new "flavor" story, but it's just a gimmick.

If they are serious about making a new story arc, they have to develop new mechanics.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Finally just made Mythic before the reset. I had to bust my balls to get there but I love the game in set. Maybe my imagination but it seems like it gives you an easy opponent and then a hard opponent in sequence. My opponents have been:

70% the copy paste dimir rogue mill deck. I basically built my deck around beating that deck and that helped me progress faster than usual I think.

The remaining opponents:
  1. Green deck with ridiculous OP creatures, especially that damn Vorinclex
  2. The white weenie lifegain deck with that annoying OP speaker that pumps angels once they reach 27.
  3. red rush with that enchantment that helps 1/1's do another 1 damage or something. Like a less good Cavalcade deck. Seems pretty shit, although one guy just owned my by using a different version that was really good. I should try to remember what he used...
  4. Cycle stuff then shoot you with that huge spell. I beat that deck most times with runed halo or similar.
  5. Black, discard yikes.
  6. The copy paste Yorion deck.
The green one was my worst opponent, the rest I could mostly handle. I saw a few various ultimatum decks along the way, I like those. I think they beat me most of the time, maybe 50/50, don't think I saw a single homebrew besides me.

Only today I have seen a new deck which seems to have become the new meta like overnight... Which is green red blue and uses that insane ultimatum.

Last edited:
Big red is just too fun for some simple games. Got matched against a rogue deck. Dude mills me down to 6 cards and counters my big shit repeatedly and used removal on my manlands (Using more of the Kaldheim land since I have more of those than Crawling Barrens), but finally by the time I hit around 10 cards I resolved a Fiery Emancipation, then followed that up with Ugin and a stompy giant and slapped his fucking shit and won. Didn't even run emancipation at first but having a few in there has been handy. Deck's probably not as good as just running shit like dragons, but mono-red control/ramp is a good time.

:evilcodex:

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
Figured I'd mention this.

I saw a lot of play of this card in mythic level.

It's p. brutal if you don't have artifact removal, especially if the opponent has trample green creatures, or red creatures with triggered abilities every time they enter the battlefield.

Definitely worth adding to any deck that has white in it.

97502411-5c93-434c-b77b-ceb2c32feae7.jpg

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
It appears that sacrificing the world tree only lets you put Kalheim gods on the battlefield.

I was hoping it'd let you put Theros gods on the battlefield also. Oh well, it was an interesting game and I almost won it with the help of the god spam card.

Jason Liang

Arcane
It appears that sacrificing the world tree only lets you put Kalheim gods on the battlefield.

I was hoping it'd let you put Theros gods on the battlefield also. Oh well, it was an interesting game and I almost won it with the help of the god spam card.
I've definitely seen it play Klothys, etc... are you trying to play Demigods? Should work with both Theros and Amonkhet god cards.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron

I've definitely seen it play Klothys, etc... are you trying to play Demigods? Should work with both Theros and Amonkhet god cards.

I'll have to try this more, I know I have a few of the Theros gods in my deck, but maybe they had already been removed from play by the time I sacrificed the world tree.

I did get like 7 god cards out though and it extended the game by 10 turns. I think I added too much land to my deck because I kept drawing stupid lands.

Jason Liang

Arcane
Ok I wasn't feeling that into Timeshifted, but the black cards they spoiled today are pretty sweet.
Thoughtseize-timeshifted-TSR-265.jpg

I'd play this over the Double Masters premium any day.

Yawgmoth-Thran-Physician-timeshifted-TSR-265.jpg

Matches my beta Birds.

Leyline-of-the-Void-timeshifted-TSR-265.jpg
Tasigur-the-Golden-Fang-timeshifted-TSR-265.jpg
Gurmag-Angler-timeshifted-TSR-265.jpg

Black really got robbed when they lost their iconic OG border.

Also, this is sweet new art for Street Wraith.
Street-Wraith-TSR-265.jpg

I still find reprint sets meh, but this is a better effort attempt.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Anyone wanna make a deck? I have an idea for one but not enough wildcards to try it.

Idea is to use Skyclave Apparition to exile their stuff, and then bounce the tokens to kill them and use Thassa plus Barrin to bounce even more.

Thassa and Barrin lets you play a PW and use their minus ability and then you can bounce the PW back at the end of the turn. Also Fae of Wishes can be used, then played, and then bounced back for free. And you draw every time you bounce.

Deck
2 Banishing Light (THB) 4
7 Island (SLD) 102
4 Skyclave Apparition (ZNR) 39
2 Flicker of Fate (THB) 16
1 Elspeth Conquers Death (THB) 13
1 Elspeth, Sun's Nemesis (THB) 14
4 Thassa, Deep-Dwelling (THB) 71
6 Plains (SLD) 101
3 Midnight Clock (ELD) 54
1 Glimpse the Cosmos (KHM) 60
2 Fae of Wishes (ELD) 44
3 Barrin, Tolarian Archmage (M21) 45
1 Into the Roil (ZNR) 62
1 Stern Dismissal (THB) 68
1 Confounding Conundrum (ZNR) 53
1 Run Away Together (ELD) 62
1 Depart the Realm (KHM) 53
2 Brazen Borrower (ELD) 39
1 Inscription of Insight (ZNR) 61
1 Dream Trawler (THB) 214
1 The Raven's Warning (KHM) 227
1 Staggering Insight (THB) 228
1 Niambi, Esteemed Speaker (M21) 222
4 Raugrin Triome (IKO) 251
4 Temple of Enlightenment (THB) 246
1 Hengegate Pathway (KHM) 260
1 Whirlwind of Thought (IKO) 215
2 Mountain (SLD) 106

Sideboard
2 Ugin, the Spirit Dragon (M21) 1
1 Banishing Light (THB) 4
1 Banish into Fable (ELD) 325
1 Elspeth Conquers Death (THB) 13
2 Whirlwind of Thought (IKO) 215
1 Narset of the Ancient Way (IKO) 195

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
MTGA has broken me.
The technological problems persist, and I no longer have the spirit to put up with them.
Eventlog tells me Unityplayer.dll keeps crashing, and there are a thousand potential reasons why.

Kaldheim has been really fun before, I hope that on the next patch my problem resolves itself and I can play again.
I could theoretically play on mobile or my laptop, but half the fun of MTGA is browsing on the second screen while the enemy takes his turn.

I am playing more IRL Magic the Gathering currently. Jumpstart is really good.
I bought two dozen boosters halfway cheap, and we take two each time, shuffle them up, and seperate them afterwards and put them into the shelf.
It makes for a really good boardgame, and the simplicistic nature of the Jumpstart decks means even I get beaten from time to time, despite playing MTG 10x as much as them.
That keeps my friends playing, for 1v1 games like chess becoming better than your friends is a real problem for finding games.

Jason Liang

Arcane
MTGA has broken me.
The technological problems persist, and I no longer have the spirit to put up with them.
Eventlog tells me Unityplayer.dll keeps crashing, and there are a thousand potential reasons why.

Kaldheim has been really fun before, I hope that on the next patch my problem resolves itself and I can play again.
I could theoretically play on mobile or my laptop, but half the fun of MTGA is browsing on the second screen while the enemy takes his turn.

I am playing more IRL Magic the Gathering currently. Jumpstart is really good.
I bought two dozen boosters halfway cheap, and we take two each time, shuffle them up, and seperate them afterwards and put them into the shelf.
It makes for a really good boardgame, and the simplicistic nature of the Jumpstart decks means even I get beaten from time to time, despite playing MTG 10x as much as them.
That keeps my friends playing, for 1v1 games like chess becoming better than your friends is a real problem for finding games.
Another good way to play Magic is Archenemy, if you can get a group of 4 together.
The way I set it up is you have a tuned Archenemy deck (for example Nicol Bolas) and two starter precons (for example Global Series works well). The final deck can be anyone's random deck.
So the two most experienced players take the precons, and the other two players can alternate between the 3rd hero deck and the Archenemy deck. If you have someone very new to Magic, then they can take one of the precons instead ofc. It generally balances out quite well, and everyone has fun.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom