Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rance Series

How good is Rance quest?
+Quite deep jRPG dungeon crawler
+Great to fuck around with a huge rooster of characters
-most quests are nonsensical
-Ubergrindy, a bit of a pain to play at times
-simple plot until you reach expansion
How big is the expansion compared to the main game?
Didn't finish, but not short.

Terra

Cipher
Sunk a couple of hours into it today, switched TADA mode on straight away and it's been fun so far. Rance's inability to perform has put an amusing spin on h-scenes, and of course, it's great to have Suzume around. Looking good so far, battle system is fun and seems like Quest was the base used for building Evenicle.

Maxie

Sunk a couple of hours into it today, switched TADA mode on straight away and it's been fun so far. Rance's inability to perform has put an amusing spin on h-scenes, and of course, it's great to have Suzume around. Looking good so far, battle system is fun and seems like Quest was the base used for building Evenicle.
Thank God they removed the activation limit from Evenicle
It's straight up incessant to run out of moves as if i were playing VI but without the benefit of a grid map to plan moves ahead

distant

Learned
It's straight up incessant to run out of moves as if i were playing VI but without the benefit of a grid map to plan moves ahead

Yeah a little annoying but it incentivizes using more of the roster, seems to be getting a bit easier when you've got a few leveled up.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker

Yeah a little annoying but it incentivizes using more of the roster, seems to be getting a bit easier when you've got a few leveled up.
Without the activation limit it would be an incredibly generic system. I dislike having such a limited number of switches though. Preferred VI where you could swap in and out freely to experiment with different compositions. Standby taking up a skill slot is bullshit.

Evenicle came after Quest, so combat is a streamlined form of RQM.
Original RQ 1.00 didn't have the Do nothing skill, so you were forced to waste moves all the time. Also characters could only level once per fight, with extra XP going to waste. Leveling level 1 noobs was a real pain, specially since back then the curse always reseted characters to level 1.

Game is far more enjoyable now.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Vanilla RQ grind was the stuff of nightmares. RQM grind is still pretty bad, it gets real old soon having to grind up new characters.

The curse mechanic is an interesting idea, but...

rq_all_ages.jpg

Oh well, you knew it was going to happen.

Terra

Cipher
So the skill "Skill Fix" - it's supposed to prevent the loss of skills when Rance fucks the girl right?

Is it worth taking it, the skill description says you won't get any skill points for the first 5 level ups as a side effect.

Is it a proactive measure against future level drops from h-scenes with that girl then?

Or does it restore skills a girl lost from a H-scene with Rance? I notice Aegis has a bunch of greyed out skills when recruited.

distant

Learned
Without the activation limit it would be an incredibly generic system. I dislike having such a limited number of switches though. Preferred VI where you could swap in and out freely to experiment with different compositions. Standby taking up a skill slot is bullshit.

For sure, just tanking with standby to bypass trash mobs is a drainer. If 6/7 didn't exist I wouldn't be close to invested enough to want to play on gameplay alone but coming from 1/2/5D it's a step up, actually reminds me a lot of SR's dungeons with the way you ration out your skills. Not sure if it's because I turned on TADA mode (can't stand grinding) but I've been steady cruising through these quests.

TigerKnee

Arcane
So the skill "Skill Fix" - it's supposed to prevent the loss of skills when Rance fucks the girl right?

Is it worth taking it, the skill description says you won't get any skill points for the first 5 level ups as a side effect.

Is it a proactive measure against future level drops from h-scenes with that girl then?

Or does it restore skills a girl lost from a H-scene with Rance? I notice Aegis has a bunch of greyed out skills when recruited.
It exists to remove the annoyance factor of having to constantly respec your skill points after Morunrun since normally it resets skill point allocation.

The 2nd Morurun onwards of a character drops level by 5 so "won't get any skill points for the first 5 level ups" is to preserve the fact that you're dropping down 5 levels but still retain your skills. If it wasn't there then you would have gotten 5 skill points for free

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker

For sure, just tanking with standby to bypass trash mobs is a drainer. If 6/7 didn't exist I wouldn't be close to invested enough to want to play on gameplay alone but coming from 1/2/5D it's a step up, actually reminds me a lot of SR's dungeons with the way you ration out your skills. Not sure if it's because I turned on TADA mode (can't stand grinding) but I've been steady cruising through these quests.
I also enabled TADA mode immediately, and I've been mostly cruising through the quests. Replaying some, but it's about equally much to level up stragglers as it is to see if there's alternate quest endings.

It also helps that so far a lot of the level 1 characters I've gotten still have great damage output, and just low health. I expect to need some grinding later (especially if you wind up H-ing the same character multiple times), but so far it's fine.

I think the writing is a bit funnier than usual. Was worried it would feel bad without an overarching storyline, but so far the characters and writing have been good enough it doesn't matter.

The 2nd Morurun onwards of a character drops level by 5 so "won't get any skill points for the first 5 level ups" is to preserve the fact that you're dropping down 5 levels but still retain your skills. If it wasn't there then you would have gotten 5 skill points for free
So it's a net loss of 2 skill points (or however much it costs) then, but a bit less annoying.

Tyrr

Liturgist
Looking at the skill system, it seems like upgrading action (red) skills is much worse than saving the points for the next upgraded skill? Like don't spend points to get more "Melee Attack 1" but instead save them for "Melee Attack 2".
But now the min-maxer in me wants to save everything for attack 3 or 4...

Or is it easy to reset all points at the levels you get a better version of the red skills?

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Or is it easy to reset all points at the levels you get a better version of the red skills?
Skill reset soda costs 100g in the store. Not sure how fast the price scales as you buy them, but it seems very cheap.

distant

Learned
So Rance's Sex skill and Sachiko's Compulsory Education have no gameplay effect, no events nothing?

Not that sure but I know I failed a check cause I didn't have Compulsory Education and had to redo it with some points in there. Was a pretty worthwhile buff for the skill points.

Looking at the skill system, it seems like upgrading action (red) skills is much worse than saving the points for the next upgraded skill? Like don't spend points to get more "Melee Attack 1" but instead save them for "Melee Attack 2".
But now the min-maxer in me wants to save everything for attack 3 or 4...

I've done this too to a certain extent but the necessary skill points for more triggers goes up so it's worth peppering a couple around 2/3ish so you can hang around dungeons longer, also the item reset later when you've hit the necessary level cap.

Also forget what I said about the grind, starting to feel it now, especially because I've been wanting to check out different party comps/character clear stuff.

Tyrr

Liturgist
Skill reset soda costs 100g in the store. Not sure how fast the price scales as you buy them, but it seems very cheap.
So the store restocks them? I could just buy one, after that it was sold out.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
So the store restocks them? I could just buy one, after that it was sold out.
I assume the store restocks them same as how it restocks basically all items (ie when you leave and come back in), but I haven't actually checked.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Has anyone figured out what "cool" and "talent" stats do on equipment? Is this some kind of translation fuckery?

It has been literal ages since I played, but I can only remember "growth" (成長率) being a skill that is displayed with percentage displayed next to it...

So Rance's Sex skill and Sachiko's Compulsory Education have no gameplay effect, no events nothing?

Quest success/fail check. Very limited use, to say the least.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom