Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

TBS Fantasy General II by Slitherine Games

Parabalus

Arcane
The money/loot tied to how fast you clear the map is a pretty decent concept.

Lagi

Savant
this amphibious warfare with lizards, seems interesting and fresh. Those water ambushes +M, but you are probably the one who will get amushed, because opponent sitting on his ass.

i think i would wait another 2 years for a 5 pound bundle with 2x other DLC races. :D

ss_db363648fd8ea2c4d5b6da79ee9835695242faca.1920x1080.jpg

Last edited:
this amphibious warfare with lizards, seems interesting and fresh. Those water ambushes +M, but you are probably the one who will get amushed, because opponent sitting on his ass.

i think i would wait another 2 years for a 5 pound bundle with 2x other DLC races. :D

ss_db363648fd8ea2c4d5b6da79ee9835695242faca.1920x1080.jpg

I have to admit it is pretty cool looking, crab riders too..

Mark Richard

Arcane
Crab army. An endless sea of scuttling shell and claw will blanket the horizon and pinch my enemies incessantly.

Unlike the Invasion campaign where lizardfolk go from essential to useless in some later maps, this new campaign's archipelago setting is tailor-made for the faction. I'm also looking forward to sunning it up on bright sandy beaches, rather than being forced to revisit those depressing swamps yet again.

Lagi

Savant
Lizards campaing are very innovative! Lots of fresh and brave ideas! I always, always switch off music in games, not this time - it fits very well. I even read the story inputs because they are fun.
Im hooked! Finaly a game where I feel as a part of different "society".

edit: ok graphic readability is better than I remember it before but still:

Do you see what type of units are hidden in this forest?
CwuHj3Y.jpg

Im playing this game subconsciously ignorig all the 3d graphic in main screen, looking only at units symbol icons, and compare selected unit with bottom bar 2d graphics. Then In my imagination I see the battle :D

its wasted effort of making all this 3d models. :negative:

FG1 has better graphic

... anyway gameplay is the king. Lizards promote sending your own troops to death, to gain resources to upgrades other... bless the mind dev who come with that idea, let he live long and breed more DLCs . I m used to avoiding any water tiles, but now Im avoiding land - it feels great! I think Kelp should grant some more bonus, normal forest is better.

I think quiting my gaming addiction would have to wait for another weekend.

there are nice change, like Rest being 1st skill so its under number key 1 - useful shortcut.
Its dope, when i reward my troops with fork - i laugh out load when during narrative, lizards were greed for more of such trumpery :cool:. They could add icon, which unit has free slot, to improve goods distrubition.

Last edited:

Hobo Elf

Arcane
This DLC looks really sweet. Unfortunately I'm busy with other games to play FG2 right now but I look forward to jumping back into it with this Lizardman campaign. Seems like lots of people have had good things to say about it.

Parabalus

Arcane
Best campaign so far. The mechanics are very refreshing (Liquid Mana galore), seems like there's even more C&C.

Lagi

Savant
I not complete it yet. But i agree its great fun.
I wish they change the resource graphic - instead liquid mana, use eggs. instead armor - hard wood or bones.

Mechanics is great, it really impact the game meta, with sacrificing the newts.

Narrative (text to read) is great. I always skip this bloated literature, but here it gives nice touch to the campaing.
Im not sure the C&C impact the game, because when i choose the chivalrious option Im not penalize enough, still the outcome is very interesting.

compare to demo, there could be more units. I dont like that last flying unit - Swamp dragon can capture location points, it doesnt feel right, and abuse the scouting. Also crabs are little too tough (high armor and morale), 2 speed is not balancing them enough IMO (you can mitigate it with items which you have plenty).

with items there is annoying gambit. Campain force you to split your army into 3 groups (2x fronts + scouting). However when one team need to quickly join other site, you doing micro with replacing items in their equipment, to give them temporary +1 speed.
I think would be better if you could swap items only between the mission. On the other hand, it sometimes prevent you from charming animals f.ex. or slowing enemy strike with webs. Guess its more fun in the end this way.

units gain EXP a little too fast and this force you to babysit units, otherwise you are underdeveloped in later mission (i do one savescum because of that, when i load mission before to not lose my 5th level troops).

mid tier of troops are not useful enough, you basically always want to go to heavy melee/flyers/witch doctor. There is no incline to keep the Warriors or Hunters.
Also all the units of same type are look the same, I wish this game was in 2d, and every units have some color or detail differentiation between each other. However due to different exp_level, items and some negative perks, you can create some type of bond, with specifi unit.

Lagi

Savant
I complete evolution campaign. I have fun, and want to play it again, which super rare for me.

• Units could be spawn with random names (i think merceneries have custom names at it feels good).
  • Late tier Flyers should not capture ground location. This damage a lot whole army composition and combine force theme. I think Swamp dragon rider could once per scenario, drop a Newts units below - which would be cool !
  • I was not able to recruit crabs, only as mercenary - not sure if thats because of mission I chose?

• Im not sure if healing and mana potions works - i use them 3x and it never heal my units, or grant mana. EDIT: potion icon appear on bottom bar, i was clicking inventory [idiot]
  • AI use nice gambit on my troops with animal totems. There are items that add "animal" tag to your unit, allowing opponent charming them, i didnt expect that.
  • there is bug in one mission, when you capture temple and join every animal on maps into your army. Problem is also Empires animal units, which you have to kill to complete scenario.

• Money is not very important, however killing your own Newts is, to get those sweet trainings upgrads between missions.
  • Unit upgrades feel little off in evolution, when you upgrade newts to swamp dragons :/ i dont know, i was not a fan of such radical transformation in FG1 neither.
  • To my positive suprise you can ambush enemies very often.

great DLC, love the new units, new narration. Expect a little more innovative units rules, but its still very fun.

Last edited:

Parabalus

Arcane
If you get the lizard upgrade for Szzlag, and get Scarab (save old ones mission), they stack, so you can get newts as cheap as 9 gold, and drop the evolution cost of all upgrades. Archers cost no weapons for instance.

I was not able to recruit crabs, only as mercenary - not sure if thats because of mission I chose?

Yeah, it's the leftmost one.

I missed out on the artifacts guy (top-right), what does he do?

The middle mission seems the worst, since you get only evolution points from it, and they are plentiful.

zapotec

Liturgist
Do you suggest playing with enemy armi scaling turned on or off?

Lagi

Savant
I played FG2 just once. So Im not sure how it work excaclty here.

Theoretically: Scaling army size is bad. Because when you spent your resources to increase your army size, you are penalized with having to fight more opponents. And lets be honest, you will hire a cheapest greenhorns and will face off hardended late tier enemies. You will subconsiously stick to lowest possible number of your elite units.

Good approach would be, if you lose too much troops in a scenario, you are granted some replacement troops in next mission. Enemy forces strength is not affected then. Like in Myth. This balance the army power, and if you IronMan the game (like I always trying to do, unless I lose completly, and need to reload).

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I've now started playing Evolution myself (also picked up Empire Aflame which I haven't gotten around to playing yet either). So far it's a lot of fun. I'm not so great at setting up ambushes so it's going to take a bit of practice, but I love the idea of doing it and it feels rewarding when you do pull it off well. I'm building my Szzlag as a super tanky guy (HP, armor, HP regen, better vision) that I guess I'll use as bait for my other troops. We'll see how it goes tho. I really hope that they are able to make more campaign DLC with different races that have their own gimmick mechanics.

covr

Prophet
Patron
I've bought this + all 3 DLC's for Xbox this weekend and started playing main campaign from base game. It work very well as the console game, controls are fluid and intuitive and I am having a blast playing it.
However it lacks aerial units and probably some stuff added in DLC's. Does it make any sense to play that base game campaign once I also have all DLC's?
Is that Onslaught/Empire/lizardman campaign better than vanilla and I should play it instead of the base game?

Lagi

Savant
I've bought this + all 3 DLC's for Xbox this weekend and started playing main campaign from base game. It work very well as the console game, controls are fluid and intuitive..
you mean you are using pad? and you use analogs to point mouse cursor on the hex tiles?

every time i launch FG2 i need to set again my custom keys. I get tired of it, so now Im just putting select previous unit on ¬.

covr

Prophet
Patron
I've bought this + all 3 DLC's for Xbox this weekend and started playing main campaign from base game. It work very well as the console game, controls are fluid and intuitive..
you mean you are using pad? and you use analogs to point mouse cursor on the hex tiles?

every time i launch FG2 i need to set again my custom keys. I get tired of it, so now Im just putting select previous unit on ¬.

Yep, UI is very well ported for using gamepad, playing it on xbox might be as fast an convenient as on keyboard+mouse.

Mark Richard

Arcane
I've bought this + all 3 DLC's for Xbox this weekend and started playing main campaign from base game. It work very well as the console game, controls are fluid and intuitive and I am having a blast playing it.
However it lacks aerial units and probably some stuff added in DLC's. Does it make any sense to play that base game campaign once I also have all DLC's?
Is that Onslaught/Empire/lizardman campaign better than vanilla and I should play it instead of the base game?
Invasion (vanilla) is solid throughout with a great sense of pacing. Unlocking high tier units feels earned, and the story has some juicy C&C.

Empire Aflame is an exhausting slog from the halfway point and boils down to meticulously combing each map for spawn points (assuming you play the good guys). Imperial and Lizardmen units were already available for use in Invasion, so cobbling together another campaign of the same massive length from existing assets seems redundant. The branching narrative offers some novelty, but in terms of the game's mechanics its like finding a year-old mint under your pillow. Wouldn't recommend this one.

Evolution is what Empire Aflame should've been. The lizardman race is expanded upon with new units and an environment to suit their playstyle. It's a shorter campaign that doesn't wear out its welcome, allowing you to tackle several missions in any order.

I've yet to try Onslaught.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Onslaught is a fun, fast paced and short campaign. It's very light on the plot but offers a randomly generated campaign experience where you're always given a choice between two missions to undertake which grant different rewards. It's open ended and you get to choose which hero you want to use, which affects your army (not sure if Lizardmen are included in it you can play as Szzlag in Onslaught). It's something in between a "proper" campaign and playing skirmishes.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom