Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Thick as Thieves - co-op thief game set in alternate history Edinburgh from OtherSide Entertainment

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Briefly announced at Hasbros's investor event: https://www.forbes.com/sites/joepar...-the-ring-crossovers-for-magic-the-gathering/

It is also said that more video game projects are in the works alongside Cryptic Studios' upcoming Magic: Legends. One is by Counter-Strike: Global Offensive developer Hidden Path Entertainment, while another is from OtherSide Entertainment, developer of Underworld Ascendant and the upcoming System Shock 3.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Oh right, some hints from what I posted in UA thread:

Boston studio's new hire Madeleine Shopoff, wears a few hats: https://www.linkedin.com/in/madeleine-shopoff/

Technical Designer - Narrative & UI/UX

Company Name OtherSide Entertainment
Dates Employed Oct 2020 – Present
Employment Duration 1 mo
Location Concord, Massachusetts, United States

Narrative design, tech design, and UI/UX for an upcoming unannounced title.

She previously did narrative design and implementation on Ken Levine's super secret project and UI at Bungie.

Resume from her website mentions their new project is actually based on an existing IP: https://www.madeleineshopoff.com/resume

fy0lfUC.png

What would it be? Underworld: Thick as Thieves? ... Thief 5?

If they're being funded by Hasbro/WotC, I guess that explains how they've hiring ex-AAA developers recently.

Wonder if this is based on what they've made as Thick as Thieves, or something else.

Spacer's Nugget

Learned
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I can't believe they kept the company afloat long enough to make such deals.

I need more Immersive Sims, so... best of luck, I guess.

EtcEtcEtc

Savant
I never played Magic - but is it so low impact as a franchise now that it can't attract better talent then Otherside?

Max Heap

Arcane
I wanted to say I'm most concerned about WotC getting its grubby fingers anywhere near Warhammer.

But then I saw that Otherside was involved...

Edit:
Wait a minute... does that mean there is the potential for another thread like the one for Underworld Ascendant?
Now I'm actually ecstatic!

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Wait, it's actually a D&D game? From WSJ reporter. (The article itself does not specify whether it is D&D or Magic, but because it goes after a sentence about Magic it makes you think so.)

WotC's "Creative Lead for D&D Video Games" also tweeted this article.

I guess they are D&D then.

John Keel

Savant
23% growth for MTG the year they went all-in on Arena, Secrets lair & COVID is quite low actually, probably why they got absorbed as a department by HASBRO

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Well a new Ravenloft book is coming, maybe they're making a new domain or something for that. I think 'Thief-like but more horror' setting could work in there. Well they can also bring Tracy Hickman.

Theldaran

Liturgist
On one hand, a new Ravenloft game would be super incline.

On the other hand, I couldn't possibly survive it being shit.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
Wait, it's actually a D&D game? From WSJ reporter. (The article itself does not specify whether it is D&D or Magic, but because it goes after a sentence about Magic it makes you think so.)
it appears they might be gearing towards fusing dnd and magic into one

Theldaran

Liturgist
We all know where things went when they originally tried to give Magic a continuity. By Tempest they were doing great, by Urza's Saga they were in a slump and then Combo Winter happened, by Masques/Invasion they didn't care anymore.

I should know, I've read the meh Invasion trilogy by Mr. King. You can get the full picture of all those books with a non-lengthy summary, and the detail is super bad so why care.

Now the continuity is as bad or even worse than ever, with those planeswalking buffoons.

kreight

Another murican trash game coming your way. Black elves, noble goblins, matriarchy and intelligent master race orcs. The murican dream.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Heh, they posted a job posting, and it says "multiplayer":
https://otherside-e.com/wp/jobs/
https://www.dropbox.com/s/h3e9mfb4nlq9hb3/OtherSide_Gameplay Engineer - 2020.docx.pdf?dl=0

The ideal candidate will report to and work closely withthe technical lead to build multiplayer gameplay systems according to design specifications.

Make multiplayer gameplay features fun, responsive, and intuitive

Experience working with multiplayer game engines such as Unreal Engine 4

There were talking 1 or 2 years ago that Boston's new game (then assumed as "Thick as Thieves" based on trademark filings) might try co-op thing, possibly co-op stealth game.

Also from Hasbro's report for investor event: https://investor.hasbro.com/news-re...rategic-growth-drivers-virtual-investor-event

While they are not mentioned here but you can probably guess the size and time table of the two games.

• Invested approximately $210 million on development for digital games over the past five years and have more than a dozen games in development between partners and internal projects. Plan to invest several hundred million more on development over the medium-term.
  • 2021-2022 anticipated digital game launches include:
    • MAGIC: THE GATHERING: Arena on mobile, Spellslingers and F2P Action RPG, Magic Legends, with Cryptic Entertainment.
    • DUNGEONS & DRAGONS: Dark Alliance with wholly owned subsidiary Tuque Games and Baldur’s Gate 3 with Larian Studios.

Max Heap

Arcane
Thank god it's not Warhammer.
I don't care about D&D. That franchise is already so pozzed and shit, not even Otherside could ruin it any further.

The potential for hilarity remains though.
Best of both worlds! :obviously:

Flying Dutchman

Learned
Hidden Path? OtherSide? Who makes these decisions?

Why, people who want to lose money on their franchises do!

You only have to say "Underworld Ascendant" to realize you should stay far, far away from OtherSide.

Flying Dutchman

Learned
This has so much potential to be an entertaining thread.

Had to happen once the Bloodlines 2 fiasco reached its peak, needed another popcorn-eating story.

Although arguably, the Bloodlines 2 project could find new, even more awful fuel, but I can't imagine how it could be worse.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom