Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dungeon Lords is literally virtually absolutely the Wizardry 9 we didn't get.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yeah.

Unwanted

a Goat

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Edgy Vatnik
What's the differences between versions?
From what I understand the old 2004 version used to have wider class selection at start, while the 2011 one has a sort of class-progression system, where you have less classes to pick from, but they later allow you to get the ones that are missing after doing a quest for the proper guild.

Unwanted

a Goat

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Edgy Vatnik
mcYWBEQ.jpg

some old screen

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
I loved his Wizardry titles and Wizards & Warriors. But this is just unredeemable real-time crap that has nothing to do with those games.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
I know that Wizards & Warriors had a lot of severe bugs back then, but I still do wonder why this game never got as popular as the other Wizardry titles.

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
It was a one-off instead of a long series. And maybe Heuristic Parc had no marketing budget to popularize it.

Last edited:

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
I know that Wizards & Warriors had a lot of severe bugs back then, but I still do wonder why this game never got as popular as the other Wizardry titles.

Its ugly 3D and somewhat clunky game with shitty controls and movement, but an absolutely refreshing class system

Combat is the same as Wiz8, which is excellent

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
The first dungeon is nontrivial to get out of. I remember having to just play something else pre-internet after I didn’t figure out the magnet wand thing or whatever.

Got stuck on Poison Beasts too. Hard to get word of mouth that way.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
What's the differences between versions?
You can only buy Steam version (previously known as MMXII), which is a steamlined popamole pile of clunky WoW knock-off, with new ideas that mostly didn't make it better game. After reaching certain point there is almost no challenge beside some puzzles.
And some of these puzzles can hard lock you from the progress when you mess up, like certain stones from big statues that can't be dropped, so you look for something to spend them on, then find out you needed them in certain place.

If you reach 15-20lvl, picked fighter+magic class with Magic Weapons skills and play on Hard difficulty (which increase drops for magic gear, like weapons that activate spells on hit) then it's over.

You can buy runes that you can't use but they unlock instantly after reaching certain level?
HP and mana regeneration from the get-go, previously you had to find bonfire in the wilderness.

Old disc version (1.0 and Collector's Edition) are harder and keep that challenge to the very end.

jungl

Augur
I gave the 2004 release a fair shot a couple of years ago. It reminds me of vampire masquerade redemption except its unfinished garbage. I lost all interest to play it after getting outside the first town and seeing how barren the world is. There a lot better similiar early 2000 arpg to play like crusaders might and magic, blade of darkness and summoners franchise.

The reason why there were so many broken and buggy asf games back in the day cause the need to release boxed copies to make sales. Developers were therefore in a very toxic subservient bitch relationship with publishers.

mondblut

Arcane
It had nice dungeons. Could be a fun game if it dropped the whole spastic ARPG shit and plugged W&W party-based TB gameplay in there using the same maps.

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
I only wish that the newest Steam version with the nicer graphics and smoother ...everything... was a remake with the same skills. And a skill progression. To my tastes, they've totally destroyed the skill system :( It was so promising.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I only wish that the newest Steam version with the nicer graphics and smoother ...everything... was a remake with the same skills. And a skill progression. To my tastes, they've totally destroyed the skill system :( It was so promising.

Yeah the original skill system was first class. When it comes to dungeon design and skill systems D. W. Bradley was on the top of the world. It's almost as if the Steam version was cobbled together without him, years after he left.

I wonder what became of him...

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron

Its ugly 3D and somewhat clunky game with shitty controls and movement, but an absolutely refreshing class system

Combat is the same as Wiz8, which is excellent
Agreed in everything. Very cool game, awsome puzzless, quests, character progression... as well as the horrifying controls clunkiness and that famous D3D bug making any menu buttons unclicable unless one would hit one single pixel...

Last edited:

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
I still do wonder why this game never got as popular as the other Wizardry titles.
I played it back in the day. It has some nice touches and wasn't horrible, but it had game stopping bugs that were never patched. Not fun getting halfway through a game and find out "Well a guy is supposed to be in this city - he's either there or he's not. If he's not, you have to start over." I seem to recall there were several bugs like that, one at the start with a door that didn't open and some others. Seems like it was patched once or twice then it was abandoned, but never (as far as I know) was patched well enough for me to risk playing it again. (note: referring to the 2005 version.)

Last edited:

Squidhead

Educated
This video was pretty good at scaring me away from it.

Looks like it coulda been a contender...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom