Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Played some of Brigador. It looks good, blowing shit up is fun, I like how heavy projectiles (like cannon shots) can penetrate flimsy/light obstacle, so that your 80 mm gun round doesn't get stopped by the first tree. The height of the gun also has an influence, so that you can fire above obstacles if you're tall enough. Still, since aiming takes vertical aiming in consideration (in a 2D game, by looking how far your cursor is from the vehicle), sometime it's hard to hit targets, because of readability issues, even if the game tries to help you via UI elements.
Works well in short sessions, like doing attempting one map or two.
Though I don't really get how the different vehicles work and now that the difficulty of the campaign is ramping up I get blown up constantly.
Edit: played again today, I like how the different mechs have different playstyle, between more hit-and-run and stand and blow up everything in sight

I started playing Faery - Legends of Avalon. It's a strange mix of RPG styles: combat it basic turn-based JRPG (except that you get multiple actions per turns) and no random encounters (all enemies are visible), very easy so far, you only control the equipment and leveling of the main character, the maps are small hubs, but you can fly freely (the second map is set around a giant tree and you can fly all around): the fly around freely is really enjoyable and it really cuts down the tedium of moving around.
The setting is kinda European tales and myths (but bowdlerized, a bit like the faeries you'd find in tourists shop in Britany/Western France), for the main quests there’s sometime two different ways of getting to your goal (usually dickishly/violently or with some diplomacy/light exploration), but the general tone is not too serious so far; the game also copies the Mass Effect dialog wheel and the red/blue dialogue choices, but here it’s not to fill colored bars, rather it'd change how well you get along with the party members, but it doesn't seem to change anything other than some generic dialogue lines.
Still I’d say the mix has been enjoyable so far.
There's some jank, but nothing too severe (like the journal which gets info you haven't found yet)

Last edited:

Spacer's Nugget

Learned
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Finished Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter 2 the other day, after repeatedly trying and rage-quitting the first one. The quicksave in the sequel is a godsend, along with other small but much needed fixes and additions to the QoL side of things (regarding the team selection menu, the top-down tactical map options, etc), which inscreased my tolerance to the game's shortcomings.

Before that, I replayed Fallout 1, and paid a high price for skipping towns, "mistreating" my companions and rushing to the end. After dealing with the Khans (punching, spear-throwing, and eye-stabbing all the way) and saving Tandi, I decided to go straight to the water merchants in the Hub, that then lead me to Necropolis, where I helped the sewer ghouls, got the chip, and went back to home sweet home. Now I had to deal with those pesky mutants. I took off to the Mariposa Military Base, taking Ian with me. Managed to snipe and kill all the mutants in the exterior area without savescumming (much), and got in. And died. Repeatedly. Either to the shower of bullets of a gatling gun or a missile. Decided to get the power armor from Brotherhood of Steel. "Accidentally" found their bunker, triggered the mission, then went to the Glow and all that jazz. Skipping forward, now it was the time to try Mariposa once more. The Brotherhood knights by my side were completely useless, since the mutants didn't respawn at the stronghold entrance. Inside, no sight of my newfound "brothers", too. Fuck them. Now that I'm basically imune to the minigun, I could handle the mission at hand. I make my way in, not remembering how to disable the force fields. Also, turns out Ian dies easily from crossing them. I leave him behind. Eventually my exploration comes to halt. I Google search the possible solutions to the power walls. I feel dumb. Decide to go with "using a radio at the computer" solution. Now Ian joins me once again. We manage to get to the control center and trigger self-destruction. Time is running out. We haul ass to the elevator. On Level 1, I leave the elevator, cross the red force field and take some damage. Now it's Ian's turn. As I'm running to the exit, I see Ian in the top of my screen trying to keep up and get fried by a force field. I don't reload... Leaving the Mariposa outskirts, the game triggers a glorious cutscene. Mariposa is deep under rocks. The moment feels bittersweet. That was not the end to my shamelessness. Later, at the Cathedral I get lazy and decide to open the backdoor that would lead me to the hidden Vault by force. I set a time bomb, and drop it to the floor. The Children and the remaining faithful doesn't like that one bit. I move away from the door. Katja, my guide to the Cathedral, remains in place. The enemies, though numerous, are not a problem to us. Then the bomb explodes. Katja survives, but is pissed at me. God. DAMN IT. I decide once more to avoid reloading. We keep fighting, until the moment I punch her so hard she flies many meters back. She doesn't get up. She won't. Karma is a fair bitch, so when I get to the Vault, I'm incapable to reach the Master. I look up a walkthrough. I can trigger a Nuclear bomb. But I also can't get there. I "hack" my stats to increase substantially my Science and Lockpick skills. I set the nuke countdown, and as I try to leave the Vault, my game crashes. Hah. I give a few more tries, but it's no use. Now I have to accept my destiny. In the end I managed to save my people (and the whole wasteland for that matter). Oh well. BOOM! Mushroom cloud. Nuclear winter awaits! Fallout.

Last edited:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yakuza 5. I've spent so many hours raising my cochin chickens. The Champion's trophy is finally mine. Shinada's trainer was a bit funny. He's also a bit annoying because he uses weapons. I don't have much left until all protagonists meet for the final chapter. After this, I want to start Yakuza 6.

In Football Manager 2020, I finished in 11th place in my first Premier League debut season. Way better than I had expected. I managed to get a few decent players on a free transfers, and buy three solid defensive players. My goal keeper saved the team's ass so many times. I love that I still have players that have been with me since the League 1 days. This season, I had a £40 million budguet, so I have really improved the team on paper. Manchester City offered me a job... and I was so tempted to accept. They have an insane squad, but my goal is to keep going until I have won the PL and the ECL once each.

I'm also playing Wasteland 3. It's a decent game. It's streamlined in both good and bad ways. Currently, I'm doing quests in The Bizarre area.

Last, I'm playing Pokemon White 2 on the go. I bought this like five years ago, so it's finally time to beat it. It's my second game in the series, after Blue on Game Boy, and it will be my last. It's quite easy and handholdy (which doesn't surprise me), but I gotta catch 'em all!

Max Damage

Savant
Neverwinter Nights OC and it's making me suicidal.
Why would you consciously punish yourself like that?

Anyway, recently finished Resident Evil 7, it was alright. Maybe I'll revisit it to finish Madhouse and side stories, but right now I'm not feeling it. Been learning new Skullgirls team (Peacock/Robo/Parasoul) since New Year, but I also play other games while giving my hands some rest. Started Resident Evil 2 Remake recently, and it's fine so far, made it out of police station as Leon. I don't remember getting far in the original, so can't really compare it and the remake. Lots of police station setpieces are there, but the beginning is entirely different, and I liked the original one quite a bit more. Nothing beats getting thrown into start with zombies on fire chasing you as you struggle to reach the police station, I also miss durable knife :(

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Yakuza 5. I've spent so many hours raising my cochin chickens. The Champion's trophy is finally mine. Shinada's trainer was a bit funny. He's also a bit annoying because he uses weapons. I don't have much left until all protagonists meet for the final chapter. After this, I want to start Yakuza 6.

In Football Manager 2020, I finished in 11th place in my first Premier League debut season. Way better than I had expected. I managed to get a few decent players on a free transfers, and buy three solid defensive players. My goal keeper saved the team's ass so many times. I love that I still have players that have been with me since the League 1 days. This season, I had a £40 million budguet, so I have really improved the team on paper. Manchester City offered me a job... and I was so tempted to accept. They have an insane squad, but my goal is to keep going until I have won the PL and the ECL once each.

I'm also playing Wasteland 3. It's a decent game. It's streamlined in both good and bad ways. Currently, I'm doing quests in The Bizarre area.

Last, I'm playing Pokemon White 2 on the go. I bought this like five years ago, so it's finally time to beat it. It's my second game in the series, after Blue on Game Boy, and it will be my last. It's quite easy and handholdy (which doesn't surprise me), but I gotta catch 'em all!
I can never play more than a couple of seasons of FM before getting bored. Also the incremental small yearly updates at full price just piss me off, they change less than EA FIFA does.

Anyways, I'm stuck undecided about what to play next on gamepass because those fuckers at MS announced that they were implementing FPS boost, doubling and even quadrupling the frame rate of games. So gonna wait and see if they add some of my backlog to that compatible with fps boost list.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Kem0sabe Last FM game I played was 12/13 or something like that.

Once I get bored of a team, I usually try out new teams, but I always keep one savefile where I have played a lot of seasons that I can go back to.

There are usually updates to team rosters created by fans.

A few years ago, I played CM 01/02 with the 2015/2016 squads.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
Finished Resident Evil 7 gold. An interesting game, they tried to change some things and keep it fresh by making it a first person game and taking some inspirations from movies like Texas Chainsaw Massacre to give it more of a horror feel and ti works to some extent. The movement and the controls feel a bit clunkier though and your walking/running speed is a bit too slow, the basic gameplay though is similar to older games you go around a house saving in safe rooms,fighting some monsters and solving some puzzles. Graphics are good and atmospheric for the most part and the story is ok. The dlcs have some ups and downs, Bedroom and Daughters were good and mostly non combat, Not a Hero was nice, End of Zoe was interesting but I didn't the last part and the its main antagonist. All in all recommended for a discount

Last edited:

Squidhead

Educated
Well if that's the case then I'll have a backup character for online or whatever. Although after I'm done with the OC I think I'm taking a break from the Aurora engine for a while.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Started BG2 for the first time....not that into to it do be honest.
Loved BG1 but here feels like im suffocating in quests and random ecnounters and people talking .
I guess i'll keep playing and see if i get used to it.

Last edited:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
rayman2.png

Finally finished Rayman 1. I ain't gonna lie. This was one of the hardest games I've ever played, and beating it really feels like an achievement.

I can only wonder what went through the head of that murderous sociopath of a level designer when he was making those maps though. Because seriously, this is just inhuman levels of brutality. Though the final level was surprisingly reasonable compared to the nightmares that came before it, especially in Picture Land and Skop's Caves.

Now I can safely proceed to Rayman 2.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Finished Max Payne 3. Man, this game really starts to drag in the second half. The levels go on for way too long and the story runs out of steam after the half-way point. The gameplay didn't exactly grow on me either, and it got very tiresome to see yet another cutscene followed by Max sprinting into cover, preparing to take on yet another wave of mooks. The longer I got in the game, the more I found myself playing it like a cover shooter since Max is so fragile and most of the combat areas are so clearly designed around that. In MP1 and MP2 I used to replay combat sections over and over again until I managed to take the enemies out in the coolest possible way, but none of MP3's encounters felt like something I'd want to do for a second time. Maybe that's for the best since the checkpoint system wouldn't have allowed me to do that anyway...

I don't mind Max being a miserable drunk, but I dislike how dumb he is in this game. I like his drive, but the guy has the brain of a fucking amoeba, which isn't really true to the character at all. The story is a convoluted mess, especially Max's involvement in it, and it gets almost comically miserable at some point. Nothing about the game's writing manages to convince that this is actually a Max Payne game — the real Max Payne is busy banging Mona Sax somewhere, and this bald excuse of a human being is just some scrub alternate dimension version of him.

Malamert

Arcane
Edgy
Labyrinth of Refrain: Coven of Dusk. Surprisingly complex gameplay and a surprisingly dark story. Lots of lesbianism, rape, traps (not the kind you can disarm) and so on. All in all it's an amazing game. Lengthy too.

Vlajdermen

Arcane
I just beat Jak 2. Very different from the first game, as I expected. There's guns and the GTA-esque open world, as well as the removal of the collectathon elements, but what I didn't expect is the way bigger gameplay variety. You got the standard action-platoforming stages, but there's also racing, open world driving, hoverboard platforming, and minigames. Those make the game more interesting, but also more inconsistent. The open world missions are tolerable, but unstructured and cheap. The standard action platforming stages, on the other hand, are excellent. Very tightly designed, challenging, and with a good understanding of how shooting and platforming play off each other. It reminded me of these NES and Genesis games like Castlevania or Mega Man. It's really a proper evolution of that type of gameplay. There's only 4 weapons, which makes sure each one serves its own purpouse, but I wish I had more time to play around with the BFG. I also wish there was more missions like that bit in the jungle, where you have to hunt invisible enemies in a non-linear level. No complaints about the hoverboard platforming, though.

Like with the last game, I largely ignored the story, and played the game while listening to EMJ podcasts or the Chris Chan documentary. I gave it a shot, and it truned out to be like a very shittily written episode of Gargoyles.

I'm gonna play some Yakuza 0 before I start with Jak 3

Deleted member 7219

I’m playing Assassin’s Creed Odyssey.

Mash em up brawler combat combined with map icon busywork, just like Origins, but in a prettier setting.

Most of the NPCs are brown skinned, which is bizarre given this is meant to be Classical Greece.

Combat music is a rip off from Witcher 3, other music is bland and unmemorable except for the main theme which is a rehash of better Jesper Kyd music from AC 2 and Brotherhood.

So, not great so far. The series has been in a decline since AC 4 and Rogue. The best AC games are still AC 2 and Brotherhood.

Spacer's Nugget

Learned
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I've relapsed into playing Noita every chance I get, like a teen whom just discovered masturbation.

Yesterday I finally bought Pathologic (on GOG). Dunno what took me so long to give it a shot, seeing that (from what I've heard/read) it's right up my alley.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
I've reached the finale in Yakuza 5. I hope to beat it next week. I want to dabble with the coliseum fights, finish up the last few substories, and then I'll go for the main story. It has some flaws, but it's still managed to become one of my favorite games from Japan.

In Wasteland 3, I'm in the Warrens, dealing with the clowns. The exploding pigs are so very annoying. My first fight with those pigs ended up with a quick party wipe. Three of them just swarmed my group and exploded in their faces. While the game is over-the-top, and a little bit too obtuse with numbers, I'm still having a good time with it. One problem is the "you go, I go" combat. I usually don't mind it, but in this game, it's basically kill or be killed. You'll either get a few party members killed if the enemy starts first, but if you get to go first, you can massacre a lot of enemies.

Ivan

Arcane
2/28 Undermine 4/4 :5/5:
Undermine is probably my favorite twinstick roguelike, surpassing The Binding of Isaac. I've had little frustrations with previous titles, Enter the Gungeon repeats not only its rooms but the combat encounters as well. Undermine re-uses its rooms but it mixes up the encounters. The itemization is strong, never do I feel like I've been dealt a cheap hand and consider my current run a "welp, just get money and die run." The combat is fantastic, bolstered by great enemy design. The game has 4 biomes with unique enemies and a boss for each floor. The artstyle is great, very reminiscent of 2D Zelda. Movement is thankfully also on point. You have a jump button that serves as a dodge and that is also utilized during puzzle/trap rooms to great effect. Also, a nite quality of life feature, is a passive item that you get early on that allows you to sprint within cleared rooms. This mitigates the needs for a teleport feature that I was craving during the early hours and thought perhaps the devs dropped the ball here. In sum, I can't find anything really to complain about. I'm having a blast and I've never been truly frustrated or questioned a design decision.

TLDR: great presentation, great item progression (I estimate most will acquire most power-ups after a solid dozen hours), fantastic enemy design, great combat/movement mechanics (bolstered by itemization). A must-play for fans of the modern twinstick roguelikes, e.g. The Binding of Isaac, Enter the Gungeon.

2/26 Cyber Shadow 2/4 :3/5:

A solid 2d action sidescroller reminiscent of Ninja Gaiden and Mega Man. You accrue new abilities at a steady pace and the basic movement and slashing feels solid. I take issue with the dash mechanic: the game has you double-tap a directional key that often feels like it just doesn't register properly for me. Level design is decent-to-frustrating. There are insta-death floors throughout most of the later levels that reminded me of the infamous medusa heads from Castlevania. That aside, I'm still taken by the art and the music to see this through to its end. Definitely more frustrating than it ought to be but all in all a solid title.

2/26 Donut County 1/4 :2/5:

A novel experience whose gameplay outstays its welcome but its humorous writing and soundtrack will probably keep you hooked until its end. The gameplay loop is basically vaccumming up objects in rooms. As the game progresses, certain objects you suck in can be used to affect other objects (e.g. suck up water>use on watermill, or suck up a candle>use on firewood). The novelty wore out pretty quick for me but the soundtrack and jokes in between levels kept me going.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Finished Full Throttle Remaster.
It was a mixed bag. I certainly loved the atmosphere, the story (although it was quite simplistic) and the music. Most of the puzzles were OK, but some of the puzzles near the end were quite frustrating. They didn't give you hints about what you have to do, you had to trial and error your way through it, and there was even a time limit to that. Oh God, and let's not forget the bike battles and the destruction derby. They were so awful, I almost rage-quit the game at those points.
The game is quite short, I finished it in around 4 hours.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom