Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect Legendary Edition remaster trilogy

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
But it does influence her decisions, the decision to shoot Wrex. I don't know what to say, though, you are arguing in bad faith. I'm 100% sure you know private opinions can lead to bad stuff happening. I also said she's an extremist *in the universe they are in*, you don't need to have done the stuff you profess in order to be an extremist (and the whole point was that you never know when she's gonna do the bad stuff), but you are just too biased against me for some reason or another to see past yourself. It's also not about "being not 100% inline with the zeitgeist", it's about holding taboo opinions that can lead to unlawful actions within the universe they are in and those could get you in trouble. It's not even necessarily about whether she's right or wrong.

Last edited:

Lambach

Arcane
But it does influence her decisions, the decision to shoot Wrex.

She shot Wrex because Wrex was about to shoot Shepard if you fail to talk him down, ffs.

I'm 100% sure you know private opinions can lead to bad stuff happening.

There's not even a hint of that possibility actually happening in this case that the game alludes to.

you don't need to have done the stuff you profess in order to be an extremist

Cool, so we're going to use the same word to describe people who shoot up civilians on the street and people who who hold certain beliefs (that they never act on). That's.... sensible.

warcrimes666

Educated
Patron
People trying to tell you nicely that you are dumb as shit has nothing to do with bias.

Calling ashley an 'extremist' akin to a terrorist sympathizer is one of the most retarded positions I've ever come across on these esteemed pages and thats an extremely difficult bar to pass.

Lacrymas

Arcane
extremist
/ɪkˈstriːmɪst,ɛkˈstriːmɪst/

noun
derogatory
noun: extremist; plural noun: extremists

a person who holds extreme political or religious views, especially one who advocates illegal, violent, or other extreme action.

She shot Wrex because Wrex was about to shoot Shepard if you fail to talk him down, ffs.
It's not only then, she tries to shoot Wrex when you go to hunt down Fist. I didn't know this btw, I just googled it.

Lambach

Arcane
People trying to tell you nicely that you are dumb as shit has nothing to do with bias.

Calling ashley an 'extremist' akin to a terrorist sympathizer is one of the most retarded positions I've ever come across on these esteemed pages and thats an extremely difficult bar to pass.

Specially considering the fact she dumps her boyfriend because of his new ties to an actual extremist organization, lul. If she's an extremist, she's a pretty fucking shitty one, definitively needs some more training.

extremist

noun
derogatory

a person who holds extreme political or religious views, especially one who advocates illegal, violent, or other extreme action.

When exactly does she advocate illegal, violent actions against Turians? Maybe it was some DLC I haven't played.

But going by your logic, a solid majority of the Galaxy is also extremist due to their mistrust of humans which is well-established in the lore.

Grimlorn

Arcane
extremist

noun
derogatory

It's not only then, she tries to shoot Wrex when you go to hunt down Fist. I didn't know this btw, I just googled it.
Who gets to decide what is an "extreme" political position?
((()))

Let me tell you something since you've obviously been brainwashed to see Ashley as a stand in for white supremacists and white supremacist = bad. Being a human/your race first person is just as extreme of a position as being pro race/alien mixing. The only difference is the elites tell you one is bad and the other is good.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
She is irrationally paranoid whenever aliens are involved and is skeptical towards Wrex (she can even shoot him at one point), Garrus, and Liara
Yes it's very extreme being wary of motherfucking aliens!

Me, if aliens came to Earth one day, my first reaction would obviously be to hold a sign saying "Refugees Aliens welcome!" and go hug them as soon as they land. Then I'd obviously vote for them as political leaders so they can get some representation. It's only fair and respectful. One thing I wouldn't do is question their motives for coming here; that would be quite extreme and specist.

Lambach

Arcane
"Hey guys, I think that if shit really hits the fan, these other races will prioritize themselves and their close allies that they've been in partnership with for hundreds and hundreds of years over us, very recent arrivals whom most of the Galaxy mistrusts and dislikes due to our rapid ascension. Just a thought!" - Ashley Williams

"OH MY FUCKING SCIENCE, literally space ISIS!" - Lacrymas

Nephilim

Educated
extremist

noun
derogatory

A perfect example of an extremist was Balak from Bring Down the Sky ME1 DLC.
Ashley was simply being realistic about aliens while Balak hated humans to the point of attempting to destroy a human colony with the help of the asteroid.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I love how people try to mellow out the opinions of others they tend to agree with. I already gave examples of how she's not "simply rationally wary of these new aliens", so we are going in circles.

A perfect example of an extremist was Balak from Bring Down the Sky ME1 DLC.
Ashley was simply being realistic about aliens while Balak hated humans to the point of attempting to destroy a human colony with the help of the asteroid.
This is what is a called a "terrorist".

Lambach

Arcane
I already gave examples of how she's not "simply rationally wary of these new aliens"

Except you didn't, you gave an example of a self-defense situation. You brought up her "demeaning" and "belittling" her allies because they were aliens, but failed to provide a single specific example of it.

I love how people try to make mountains out of molehills because they want to be enlightened, edgy contrarians on Ar Pee Gee Codex dot Net. Fucking pathetic. :lol:

Lacrymas

Arcane
I already gave examples of how she's not "simply rationally wary of these new aliens"

Except you didn't, you gave an example of a self-defense situation. You brought up her "demeaning" and "belittling" her allies because they were aliens, but failed to provide a single specific example of it.

I love how people try to make mountains out of molehills because they want to be enlightened, edgy contrarians on Ar Pee Gee Codex dot Net. Fucking pathetic. :lol:
You want specific quotes? Just google it? I don't remember where exactly she said what, so I wouldn't even know how to cite it. Rummaging through hours upon hours of Let's Play content in order to find golden nuggets and the context they are in is not my idea of a well-spent evening. And no, this is not an invitation to dismiss everything I have said, which I'm sure you are very tempted to do.

Lambach

Arcane
You want specific quotes? Just google it? I don't remember where exactly she said what, so I wouldn't even know how to cite it. Rummaging through hours upon hours of Let's Play content in order to find golden nuggets and the context they are in is not my idea of a well-spent evening. And no, this is not an invitation to dismiss everything I have said, which I'm sure you are very tempted to do.

I'm just curious about how you can be so certain of something when you don't even remember it? Is there maybe a possibility that you just want to be a contrarian by taking the dumbest, most indefensible position possible and keep doubling down on it when proven wrong beyond a shadow of doubt? No, really, what's the thought process here?

"She constantly belittles her allies just because they're alien"
"OK, give me an example, I sure as shit don't remember that happening and I'll concede if you can point me to some instances of it"
"Ugh, I can't be arsed"

Like, what's the point of you even posting dumb shit like this? Do you just get off on being proven wrong or what?

Lacrymas

Arcane
I'm just curious about how you can be so certain of something when you don't even remember it? Is there maybe a possibility that you just want to be a contrarian by taking the dumbest, most indefensible position possible and keep doubling down on it when proven wrong beyond a shadow of doubt? No, really, what's the thought process here?

"She constantly belittles her allies just because they're alien"
"OK, give me an example, I sure as shit don't remember that happening and I'll concede if you can point me to some instances of it"
"Ugh, I can't be arsed"

Like, what's the point of you even posting dumb shit like this? Do you just get off on being proven wrong or what?
You are so incredibly delusional. When have you "proven me wrong"? And "beyond a shadow of a doubt" on top of that, rofl. I don't know where to find specific quotes (or at least where they appear in-game, I can cite specific quotes otherwise) and I'm sure you'll dismiss any other third party because you'll say they are biased due to going against your opinion, so is there a point to this?

Lambach

Arcane
but she constantly belittles and suspects her own allies *because* they are aliens.

Still waiting for an example of this. Like I said, my own memory is a bit rusty, but if this is "constant" behavior, you should have no trouble finding something from the first ME to back it up.

Take your time, it doesn't have to be now, feel free to @ me in a couple of days when you totally find some damning evidence of virtual space extremism. :smug:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Still waiting for an example of this. Like I said, my own memory is a bit rusty, but if this is "constant" behavior, you should have no trouble finding something from the first ME to back it up.
Take your time, it doesn't have to be now, feel free to @ me in a couple of days when you totally find some damning evidence of virtual space extremism. :smug:
This is not a realistic thing to expect. I'm not willing to comb through hours upon hours of Let's Plays in order to find Ashley content. Even if I did, you would dismiss her comments as not xenophobic or try to defend her by willfully misinterpreting what she says.

EDIT: Let me demonstrate. I actually found some of her comments, but I don't know where they appear in-game -

"You want to get involved with some alien (black person)? Go ahead, it's none of my business."
"Make nice with the bug-eyed monsters (flaming queers)"
"I am no fan of aliens (Jews)."
"Jealous? Of you? You are not even our species (not even white)."

Last edited:

Lambach

Arcane
This is not a realistic thing to expect. I'm not willing to comb through hours upon hours of Let's Plays in order to find Ashley content.

Cool, so we've established that you're 100% certain of something that you don't even remember. Talk about "delusional", lel. :lol:

Even if I did, you would dismiss her comments as not xenophobic or try to defend her by willfully misinterpreting what she says.

I never said she wasn't xenophobic, Einstein, I said she's not an extremist. Most people alive today are xenophobic in one way or another, specially that overwhelming majority of people who live outside the so-called "developed" world, and given that ME's aliens are largely anthropomorphic to the point where they're pretty much just humans with a different coat of paint and some contrived non-human biological trait (Krogans having extra sets of redundant organs, Turians being dextro-amino based etc.), it's completely within the realm of reason to expect the vast majority of ME's Galaxy shares that same trait. And not only is to be expected, but the games are actually showing us just that, without us having to make assumptions.

But yeah, I guess you can call a significant majority of total population "extremists". That totally doesn't make the word lose its meaning or shit on the very concept of established human language just so you can LARP an edgy contrarian at all!

Lacrymas

Arcane
Oh, it's even worse then. She IS xenophobic, but that's ok *because everyone else is too* (this is pure speculation of course). Wow.

As for whether she's extremist, xenophobia seems like an extreme position in the universe of ME, so interpret that how you wish.

Lambach

Arcane
Oh, it's even worse then. She IS xenophobic, but that's ok *because everyone else is too* (this is pure speculation of course). Wow.

As for whether she's extremist, xenophobia seems like an extreme position in the universe of ME, so interpret that how you wish.

It's neither speculation nor is it an extreme position. A vast majority of both humans and aliens alike shown in the game tend to "stick to their own", as it were. Palaven is still like a 90+ percent Turian world, Tuchanka is almost exclusively Krogan, we don't get to see a single non-Asari other than Shepard's crew and that Asian Cerberus dude on Thessia etc. The way you're describing the ME universe seems like every place should be a perfect rainbow representation of diversity, which is clearly bullshit.

The player's perspective is warped somewhat because the nature of Shepard's job is such that he needs to surround himself with the 0.00000000000000000000000000000000001% of the best of the best the Galaxy has to offer, but for the rest of that place, the rules of our real human society still largely apply.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom