Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NSFW Best Thread Ever [No SJW-related posts allowed]

The Decline

Arcane
Fighting fucking Sauron in a spare body and decapitating him "might" be a bit lore-breaking.
huh?
The main character doesn't even make it to the fight with Sauron, you get betrayed by Celebrimbor. When do you decapitate Sauron? Celebrimbor and Eltariel don't win their fight against Sauron.
Are you confusing it with the Isildur fight right before it?
I didn't play the first game nor the sequel, but I watched a few videos of the first one. IIRC you do end up fighting Sauron as a boss in one of the games and I thought you defeated him. Checking the wiki, it seems that's the case, but it doesn't amount to much in the end. Nevermind then.

Those games are fucking hilarious. I lost it in the second game when the orcs turned into Warhammer-esque orcs/orks. :lol:

Caim

Arcane
Fighting fucking Sauron in a spare body and decapitating him "might" be a bit lore-breaking.
huh?
The main character doesn't even make it to the fight with Sauron, you get betrayed by Celebrimbor. When do you decapitate Sauron? Celebrimbor and Eltariel don't win their fight against Sauron.
Are you confusing it with the Isildur fight right before it?
I didn't play the first game nor the sequel, but I watched a few videos of the first one. IIRC you do end up fighting Sauron as a boss in one of the games and I thought you defeated him. Checking the wiki, it seems that's the case, but it doesn't amount to much in the end. Nevermind then.
In the turn-based RPG you fight the Eye of Sauron as the final boss. That's right, you cut from the Black Gate to Barad-Dur, climb it off-screen, then kick the motherfucking EYE OF SAURON in the dick. Then the tower collapses and you somehow survive, so all's well that ends well.

Perkel

Arcane
1614412022130.png

lightbane

Arcane
In the turn-based RPG you fight the Eye of Sauron as the final boss. That's right, you cut from the Black Gate to Barad-Dur, climb it off-screen, then kick the motherfucking EYE OF SAURON in the dick. Then the tower collapses and you somehow survive, so all's well that ends well.
Oh, that game. If was unintentionally hilarious. It's literally fanfiction where your team follows the main cast, fights the bad guys that the heroes already dealt with and... Little else, they're literally followers. You get to play as the bad guys in certain fights, but it doesn't change anything.
It also used the FFX turn-based system. Perhaps it even used the same engine.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
The original Startopia is getting updated by one of the original developers (Guy Simmons): https://steamcommunity.com/app/243040/discussions/0/3109143950432730853/

This time it's just a modern rebuild of old code, but if it goes well he's going to do more with the game.

Startopia 1.01.1

A Startopia update! This time a brand new Beta, and not to be confused with the minor splash screen update I posted earlier. It's kind of a big deal, although not a terribly exciting update, I'm afraid; consider it a scene setter, though, that will hopefully pave the way for some slightly more interesting updates going forwards.

If you want to check it out, you'll need to opt into Betas via Startopia's Properties panel here on Steam, and if anyone does fancy trying it, then it would be hugely appreciated, although obviously, you do so at your own risk! It *should* be compatible with existing save games, but please back up any game profiles and save games that are important to you, as there's always a risk with early release software like this that could cause problems.

Because this is a new build of old code, we're mainly looking for inconsistencies between this and the original 1.01 version of the game everyone's played up until now. Please be on the lookout for missing features, exciting new crashes, or anything that doesn't seem quite right.

So to reiterate, we're currently looking for anything *new* and strange, not old and strange :)

Finally, if you experience any issues, please let me know in this thread, and if you face any significant issues with this, then simply opt-out of the Beta, which will return you to the original version of the game.

Finally finally, please go easy on me; This is a part-time hobby for me and very much my passion project, but I don't have a lot of time to work on it. If this re-build of the code works, though, then I'm certainly planning to do more in the upcoming months.

Rights to this game are rolled back to the original developers from Square Enix (Eidos) some time ago.

hellbent

Augur
The original Startopia is getting updated by one of the original developers (Guy Simmons): https://steamcommunity.com/app/243040/discussions/0/3109143950432730853/

This time it's just a modern rebuild of old code, but if it goes well he's going to do more with the game.

Startopia 1.01.1

A Startopia update! This time a brand new Beta, and not to be confused with the minor splash screen update I posted earlier. It's kind of a big deal, although not a terribly exciting update, I'm afraid; consider it a scene setter, though, that will hopefully pave the way for some slightly more interesting updates going forwards.

If you want to check it out, you'll need to opt into Betas via Startopia's Properties panel here on Steam, and if anyone does fancy trying it, then it would be hugely appreciated, although obviously, you do so at your own risk! It *should* be compatible with existing save games, but please back up any game profiles and save games that are important to you, as there's always a risk with early release software like this that could cause problems.

Because this is a new build of old code, we're mainly looking for inconsistencies between this and the original 1.01 version of the game everyone's played up until now. Please be on the lookout for missing features, exciting new crashes, or anything that doesn't seem quite right.

So to reiterate, we're currently looking for anything *new* and strange, not old and strange :)

Finally, if you experience any issues, please let me know in this thread, and if you face any significant issues with this, then simply opt-out of the Beta, which will return you to the original version of the game.

Finally finally, please go easy on me; This is a part-time hobby for me and very much my passion project, but I don't have a lot of time to work on it. If this re-build of the code works, though, then I'm certainly planning to do more in the upcoming months.

Rights to this game are rolled back to the original developers from Square Enix (Eidos) some time ago.

This update needs to be released to GOG as well once Simmons is done Beta testing or whatever.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom