Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The PS5 and Xbox 2 thread - it's happening

Melcar

Arcane
There needs to be another graphics card developer to force prices down.

This might help a little bit.

https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-...rtx-3060-driver-will-limit-mining-performance

Haven't they tried that before? Such a card would have 0 resell value, which will turn miners off (most of them look to offload their old cards on the used market).
Now the driver idea seems plausible. Has been done before to segment markets and product lines. Wonder why the fuck it took them this long to think about that?

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Why would you buy a used miner card in the first place?

Anyway, Nvidia can't afford to alienate gamers for too long. It's still their bread & butter business, so a hard decision to segment the market (temporarily?) had to be made.

Melcar

Arcane
People still buy former mining cards. Yeah, you are often advised not to and the more informed users stay away from such cards, but the cards still end up in the used market and they have buyers.

Ezekiel

Arcane
I haven't been in a movie mood lately but Total Recall is at the top of my list when I am. Shame it's a flawed disc.

Looks like it's safe to import the Italian version by Eagle, though. It doesn't have these blurry 3 mbps dips in HDR10.

https://www.screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/11191/picture:0

joinedtotalrecall7gkev.jpg

The sound is apparently better too.

soulburner

Cipher
There needs to be another graphics card developer to force prices down.

This might help a little bit.

https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-...rtx-3060-driver-will-limit-mining-performance
This won't help anything. If what is said in this video is true (edit: and a follow up here), and this guy is pretty credible with all kinds of leaks and shit, the truly professional miners don't care about the drivers. They write their own (due to the complexity of them, they probably just modify the official releases, but who knows). They do not need to buy an Asus or Sapphire, they buy GPU chips directly from Nvidia and use them on their own boards. Besides, what's stopping an amateur crypto digger from using an older driver? The problem is things like Ethereum are built from the ground up with the intent of running on a GPU. If a GPU is capable of being, well, a GPU, it is capable of mining - if you somehow cripple the computational capabilities suitable for mining, you also cripple the GPUs capabilities for gaming.

Also, I do not think there is space for a new player on the GPU market. With all the complexities of designing a GPU from scratch aside, where would they produce them? At TSMC? At Samsung? They are barely capable of fulfilling their orders. Overreliance on just a few fabs in Asia seemed like a problem to me a long time ago, just waiting to happen.

edit: fun fact - Intel is trying to enter the GPU market now and where will they build their GPUs? At TSMC. We're fucked.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
NVIDIA never does anything for the benefit of the customer.

Whatever "anti-mining" method they are advertising right now is guaranteed something that will only be of benefit to NVIDIA, and of little-to-none to the customer, regardless of how it may seem right now.

soulburner

Cipher
NVIDIA never does anything for the benefit of the customer.

Whatever "anti-mining" method they are advertising right now is guaranteed something that will only be of benefit to NVIDIA, and of little-to-none to the customer, regardless of how it may seem right now.

Exactly right. This is true about any corporation. For example, right now AMD seems to have the most dedicated fan base, because they offer good products for a slightly more reasonable price than the competition (although Ryzen 5000 and RX 6000 prices don't seem competitive that much anymore) and react to consumers' outrage (like 400 series chipsets not supporting Zen 3 - after people spoke, AMD changed their mind and suddenly a supposed hardware limitation became an easily solvable software one). But once their profits reach a certain point, the company will stop caring about people and focus solely on the numbers. Today Nvidia can give the middle finger to PC gamers, because they get the most profit from AI and other CUDA based calculations. They do not care who buys Ampere as long as it keeps selling. As much as the employees themselves may be PC gaming enthusiasts, the corporation exists for one reason only: profit.

This all comes down to one thing: do not ever be a fan of a single brand. Always buy things that offer the best price to performance ratio. Never buy "COMPANY_NAME" just because you "like" them. They don't like you. They don't even know you.

Dexter

Arcane
https://www.gematsu.com/2020/12/sir...nt-japan-studio-establishes-bokeh-game-studio
Keiichiro Toyama, creator of the Silent Hill, Siren, and Gravity Rush series, left Sony Interactive Entertainment Japan Studio and established the independent Bokeh Game Studio on August 13.

Kazunobu Sato and Junya Okura, who have worked alongside Toyama for many years, also left Japan Studio and joined Toyama as core members of the new studio. Toyama is the chief executive officer (CEO), while Sato is the chief operating officer (COO) and Okura the chief technology officer (CTO).
“Having parted with Sony Interactive Entertainment which I have been with for a very long time, we have independently established a new development studio.

“Looking back at my inner self, nothing has really changed at all since day one when I set foot into this industry. Firstly I want players to enjoy games built from ideas with originality, and secondly I want to enjoy making those games—this is all there was to it. Thankfully it was possible for myself and team to develop and release many games. However the gaming industry has rapidly grown globally and is still drastically changing all the time. Day by day, living in these times, I have felt the need for a substantial change to pursue my own ambitions. This is why I have decided to become independent.

“Thankfully I am blessed with a team of colleagues who share the same ambitions as myself, which is why I am able to start this new chapter with a new game studio where we can form our original ideas. We are already under development for our first work, though obviously will need some time before release. We ask for your patience and to look forward to future announcements.”

https://www.gematsu.com/2020/12/ter...e-sony-interactive-entertainment-japan-studio
Teruyuki Toriyama—who worked as a producer on the Demon’s Souls remake, Bloodborne, Soul Sacrifice, and more—will leave Sony Interactive Entertainment Japan Studio at the end of December, he announced.

“I will be leaving Sony Interactive Entertainment Worldwide Studios Japan Studio at the end of December,” Toriyama said. “To all the users who have supported Japan Studio so far, thank you so much! I will continue to take on the challenge of creating new game IPs in my new company, and I ask for your continued support.”

Toriyama’s departure follows the departure of Keiichiro Toyama, Kazunobu Sato, and Junya Okura, who left to establish Bokeh Game Studio.

https://www.gematsu.com/2021/02/blo...rtainment-japan-studio-at-the-end-of-february
Masaaki Yamagiwa, who was a producer on Bloodborne, Deracine, and Tokyo Jungle, will leave Sony Interactive Entertainment Japan Studio at the end of February, he announced on Twitter.

“I’m leaving Sony Interactive Entertainment at the end of this month,” Yamagiwa said. “I’m going to continue working hard on creating games. Many thanks to everyone!”

Yamagiwa did not further detail his future plans.

The developer’s leave is the latest in a series of high-profile departures for Sony Interactive Entertainment Japan Studio. Teruyuki Toriyama, who was also a producer on Bloodborne, as well as the Demon’s Souls remake, Soul Sacrifice, and others, left Sony Interactive Entertainment Japan Studio back in December. And Silent Hill, Siren, and Gravity Rush creator Keiichiro Toyama left alongside colleagues Kazunobu Sato and Junya Okura earlier that month to form the independent Bokeh Game Studio.

Dexter

Arcane
https://www.dualshockers.com/sony-reportedly-censoring-violent-depictions-in-games/
Sony Reportedly Censoring Violent Depictions in Games
By Md Armughanuddin
February 22, 2021 12:41 PM EST
Sony isn't allowing video games to depict dismemberment of human characters.
Sony is censoring violent depictions in video games according to a recent report. The degree of violence in video games has been a controversial aspect for quite a while now. It is often debated that games should have lower degrees of violence to make them accessible to a larger audience. Despite that, a number of developers have depicted some mature and dark tones in games.

According to a report on GameSpark Japan, Sony is asking developers to remove violent depictions in video games. This comes from the Japanese development studio Cyberconnect2’s President and CEO Hiroshi Matsuyama who states that Sony compelled the developers to make changes in the Naruto Ultimate series. One of the characters in the game, Minato Namikaze, was missing an arm in the original story. However, in the final game, his arm was present to comply with Sony’s policies.

He further mentions that the reason for that was that loss of limbs in characters that have a human appearance was not allowed by Sony Interactive Entertainment and not prohibited by CERO as such. CERO is the organization responsible for video game ratings in Japan. In the story, Minato is not technically a human considering that he was resurrected. However, considering that the character had a human appearance, it wasn’t allowed.

Quite notable of all is the fact that SIE has allowed such depictions in certain games. Matsuyama mentions that Dragon Ball Z Kakarot has a sequence in which Nappa’s arm was dismembered. Surprisingly, this wasn’t omitted from the game because there is a difference in impressions between the two games. What this difference isn’t mentioned, but it’s likely the fact that the Naruto series has a more realistic tone. Whether this policy is specific to Japanese video games isn’t clear.

Sony’s stance on this matter is quite surprising, considering the fact that some of its games have set a benchmark for mature tones in video games. For instance, The Last of Us 2 had several such brutal and gory moments which despite receiving some criticism was widely acclaimed as well. With Sony itself taking such bold directions in video games itself, it’ll be interesting to see what Sony’s justification for such a stance is.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Sony always allowed only limited violence in gam...

One of the characters in the game, Minato Namikaze, was missing an arm in the original story. However, in the final game, his arm was present to comply with Sony’s policies.

:what::what:

Dexter

Arcane
http://videogameschronicle.com/news/sources-playstation-is-winding-down-sony-japan-studio/
Sources: PlayStation is winding down Sony Japan Studio
Majority of development staff have been let go, but ASOBI Team remains, sources tell VGC
25th Feb 2021 / 7:03 pm
Sony-Japan-Studio-e1614275123338-320x182.jpg

Reporting by Andy Robinson and Alex Calvin.
Sony is winding down original game development at its oldest first-party developer, Japan Studio, multiple sources have told VGC.

The iconic developer behind Ape Escape, Gravity Rush and Knack has seen the vast majority of its development staff let go, the sources said, after their annual contracts were not renewed ahead of the company’s next business year, which begins April 1.

Localisation and business staff will remain in place and ASOBI Team – the group responsible for the Astro Bot games – will continue as a standalone studio within Sony Japan, it’s claimed.

Some Japan Studio staff will join ASOBI, we were told, while others have followed Silent Hill and Gravity Rush director Keiichiro Toyama – who left Japan Studio last year – to his new studio Bokeh.

It’s not entirely clear if the restructure has affected the studio’s External Development Department, which collaborated on games such as last year’s Demon’s Souls, but one person VGC spoke to suggested it would continue.

Sony Interactive Entertainment did not respond to a request for comment in time for publication.

Multiple Japan Studio developers have announced their departure from the company on social media in the last few days, including Bloodborne producer Masaaki Yamagiwa and video manager Ryo Sogabe – who are both leaving at the end of February – while a cryptic tweet from executive producer Masami Yamamoto also hints at his departure.

This also follows several high profile staff at the studio leaving. At the end of 2020, Silent Hill and Gravity Rush series director Keiichiro Toyama announced his departure to set up Bokeh Game Studio. He founded this new venture with fellow Sony Japan veterans Kazunobu Sato and Junya Okura.

Meanwhile, the producer of Bloodborne and the Demons Souls remake Teruyuki Toriyama said he was leaving SIE Japan at the end of 2020.

People with knowledge of the matter told VGC that Sony Japan Studio simply hasn’t been profitable enough in recent years; the developer wanted to create games that appealed to the Japanese market first with hopes of having global appeal, while PlayStation wants the kind of global hits that its other first-party studios produce.

One person VGC spoke to said that Japan Studio’s fate had been sealed over a year ago, following the departure of its long-time president Allan Becker, who was replaced by Astro Bot: Rescue Mission director Nicolas Doucet, allegedly due to frustration over the developer’s lack of hits.

Another source said that this was part of PlayStation shifting more power from its native Japan to its new US headquarters. Since the company moved its HQ to California in 2016, it has been centralising power there, leading to layoffs and restructuring in SIE’s regional offices.

VGC’s reporting corroborates a Bloomberg article from November of last year, which said that Sony Japan had been “sidelined” and its development teams had been cut.

PlayStation boss Jim Ryan has downplayed this narrative several times; in December, he claimed that Japan continued to be a hugely important market for Sony Interactive Entertainment.

This week Famitsu published an interview with Ryan in which he said he considered all of SIE’s studios to be important and that he continued to support Japanese game development for PS5.

Bloomberg’s earlier report claimed that, as of November last year, many Japan Studio creators had already been informed that they would not have their rolling contracts renewed.

PlayStation’s US office has held a critical view of the Japanese operation, the publication claimed, and believed that the PlayStation business didn’t need ‘games that only do well in Japan’.

Responding to the November Bloomberg report, Sony spokeswoman Natsumi Atarashi said at the time that “our home market remains of utmost importance” and claimed that any suggestion Sony was shifting its focus away from Japan was incorrect and “doesn’t reflect the company’s strategy”.

Speaking to VGC’s network partners at GamesIndustry.biz about PlayStation’s globalisation efforts in 2019, Ryan said we shouldn’t expect its Worldwide Studios to create games designed for specific territories going forwards.

“The nature of AAA PlayStation 4 and certainly PlayStation 5 development… We’re obviously not going to have Worldwide Studios make a game for one specific European country,” he said.

Sony Japan ‘has been sidelined’ from PlayStation 5’s launch, a new report claims
Development staff are said to have been reduced as PlayStation places importance on the US market

“And that might have been the case back in the PSP times with Invizimals [which was popular in Spain]. I think this will be where Shuhei Yoshida‘s new task [of working with indies] will come in. If we are nimble, flexible and global, we can work with smaller developers to allow those countries’ specific needs to be met.”

Japan Studio was founded in 1993 and has created iconic PlayStation IP like Ape Escape, Patapon and Gravity Rush, in addition to assisting other developers such as FromSoftware, Bluepoint and Q-Games.

Japan Studio is Sony Interactive Entertainment‘s oldest first-party studio, with a focus on introducing new styles of gameplay.

The developer is known for games such as Knack, LocoRoco and Ape Escape, as well as its collaborations on the likes of Bloodborne, The Last Guardian and Everybody’s Golf. It most recently worked on PS5’s Demon’s Souls with US studio Bluepoint.

SIE Japan Studio also housed Project Siren – aka Team Gravity – which had worked on the Siren and Gravity Rush series.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
So this was in the event last night:

I don't care how much decline you are shouting, this can be one of the greatest thing ever made. The only game where I could feel like Jackie Chan was Sleeping Dogs, so this is a Godsent for me. A Kung-fu fag like myself will lap this up on day one. Not on PS5 of course, because it will come out on PC as well.

The Decline

Arcane
http://videogameschronicle.com/news/sources-playstation-is-winding-down-sony-japan-studio/
Sources: PlayStation is winding down Sony Japan Studio
Majority of development staff have been let go, but ASOBI Team remains, sources tell VGC
25th Feb 2021 / 7:03 pm
Sony-Japan-Studio-e1614275123338-320x182.jpg

Reporting by Andy Robinson and Alex Calvin.
Sony is winding down original game development at its oldest first-party developer, Japan Studio, multiple sources have told VGC.

The iconic developer behind Ape Escape, Gravity Rush and Knack has seen the vast majority of its development staff let go, the sources said, after their annual contracts were not renewed ahead of the company’s next business year, which begins April 1.

Localisation and business staff will remain in place and ASOBI Team – the group responsible for the Astro Bot games – will continue as a standalone studio within Sony Japan, it’s claimed.

Some Japan Studio staff will join ASOBI, we were told, while others have followed Silent Hill and Gravity Rush director Keiichiro Toyama – who left Japan Studio last year – to his new studio Bokeh.

It’s not entirely clear if the restructure has affected the studio’s External Development Department, which collaborated on games such as last year’s Demon’s Souls, but one person VGC spoke to suggested it would continue.

Sony Interactive Entertainment did not respond to a request for comment in time for publication.

Multiple Japan Studio developers have announced their departure from the company on social media in the last few days, including Bloodborne producer Masaaki Yamagiwa and video manager Ryo Sogabe – who are both leaving at the end of February – while a cryptic tweet from executive producer Masami Yamamoto also hints at his departure.

This also follows several high profile staff at the studio leaving. At the end of 2020, Silent Hill and Gravity Rush series director Keiichiro Toyama announced his departure to set up Bokeh Game Studio. He founded this new venture with fellow Sony Japan veterans Kazunobu Sato and Junya Okura.

Meanwhile, the producer of Bloodborne and the Demons Souls remake Teruyuki Toriyama said he was leaving SIE Japan at the end of 2020.

People with knowledge of the matter told VGC that Sony Japan Studio simply hasn’t been profitable enough in recent years; the developer wanted to create games that appealed to the Japanese market first with hopes of having global appeal, while PlayStation wants the kind of global hits that its other first-party studios produce.

One person VGC spoke to said that Japan Studio’s fate had been sealed over a year ago, following the departure of its long-time president Allan Becker, who was replaced by Astro Bot: Rescue Mission director Nicolas Doucet, allegedly due to frustration over the developer’s lack of hits.

Another source said that this was part of PlayStation shifting more power from its native Japan to its new US headquarters. Since the company moved its HQ to California in 2016, it has been centralising power there, leading to layoffs and restructuring in SIE’s regional offices.

VGC’s reporting corroborates a Bloomberg article from November of last year, which said that Sony Japan had been “sidelined” and its development teams had been cut.

PlayStation boss Jim Ryan has downplayed this narrative several times; in December, he claimed that Japan continued to be a hugely important market for Sony Interactive Entertainment.

This week Famitsu published an interview with Ryan in which he said he considered all of SIE’s studios to be important and that he continued to support Japanese game development for PS5.

Bloomberg’s earlier report claimed that, as of November last year, many Japan Studio creators had already been informed that they would not have their rolling contracts renewed.

PlayStation’s US office has held a critical view of the Japanese operation, the publication claimed, and believed that the PlayStation business didn’t need ‘games that only do well in Japan’.

Responding to the November Bloomberg report, Sony spokeswoman Natsumi Atarashi said at the time that “our home market remains of utmost importance” and claimed that any suggestion Sony was shifting its focus away from Japan was incorrect and “doesn’t reflect the company’s strategy”.

Speaking to VGC’s network partners at GamesIndustry.biz about PlayStation’s globalisation efforts in 2019, Ryan said we shouldn’t expect its Worldwide Studios to create games designed for specific territories going forwards.

“The nature of AAA PlayStation 4 and certainly PlayStation 5 development… We’re obviously not going to have Worldwide Studios make a game for one specific European country,” he said.

Sony Japan ‘has been sidelined’ from PlayStation 5’s launch, a new report claims
Development staff are said to have been reduced as PlayStation places importance on the US market

“And that might have been the case back in the PSP times with Invizimals [which was popular in Spain]. I think this will be where Shuhei Yoshida‘s new task [of working with indies] will come in. If we are nimble, flexible and global, we can work with smaller developers to allow those countries’ specific needs to be met.”

Japan Studio was founded in 1993 and has created iconic PlayStation IP like Ape Escape, Patapon and Gravity Rush, in addition to assisting other developers such as FromSoftware, Bluepoint and Q-Games.

Japan Studio is Sony Interactive Entertainment‘s oldest first-party studio, with a focus on introducing new styles of gameplay.

The developer is known for games such as Knack, LocoRoco and Ape Escape, as well as its collaborations on the likes of Bloodborne, The Last Guardian and Everybody’s Golf. It most recently worked on PS5’s Demon’s Souls with US studio Bluepoint.

SIE Japan Studio also housed Project Siren – aka Team Gravity – which had worked on the Siren and Gravity Rush series.

Globohomo finishes its first major strike against Japan.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
game where I could feel like Jackie Chan
not enough environmental interactions. True "Jackie Chan" game should give you the ability to beat people using chairs and ladders.
That's why I loved Sleeping Dogs where you had that environmental interaction. It would be great if this game had it, but at least I will have my hong-kong martial arts gameplay.

Caim

Arcane

I don't care how much decline you are shouting, this can be one of the greatest thing ever made. The only game where I could feel like Jackie Chan was Sleeping Dogs, so this is a Godsent for me. A Kung-fu fag like myself will lap this up on day one. Not on PS5 of course, because it will come out on PC as well.

Kinda gives me vibes of The Raid and similar movies at times. If they manage to find a middle ground between Sleeping Dogs and Yakuza we might end up with one of the best brawlers of our time.

User was nabbed fit

Tried out my nephews PS5 the other day, that haptic shit in the pad is complete bollocks.

There are very few games which are programmed with support for it in mind. Astro's Playground is one of them though, makes good use of it in some areas. Anything else is going to seem like bollocks though, because it's non-existent in unsupported games. I'd rate it a 7.5/10 as a feature, because it's not exactly breathtaking, but it's pretty decent when used properly. I expect future PS5-exclusive games will make good use of it, since devs will have an actual incentive to put decent time into it. As opposed to multiplatform games, where they're really not going to care that much about spending time & money on something that's only going to affect one of the platforms and probably won't generate any extra sales.

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter

Looks like a fleshed out Karateka remake spiritual successor.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Sifu looks cool. Hope its not exclusive.

Cant figure out what is causing audio lag on the series x, when I reboot it its fine but when I wake it from standby it got like 0.5 seconds of audio lag. Annoying as fuck.
I can change it to shut down instead of stand by but then I cant install games or stream from the mobile app.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
https://gadgettendency.com/this-is-a-breakthrough-sony-playstation-5-has-been-adapted-for-mining/

The Sony PlayStation 5 game console is not suitable for mining, the mining of cryptocurrency is limited by the system. However, Chinese enthusiasts have managed to get around this limitation.

The hardware components of the PlayStation 5 are quite suitable and sufficient for mining, however, until now, this task has not been possible to implement on the console. Console uses AMD Ryzen CPU on Zen 2 microarchitecture (x86, 8 cores, 16 threads, up to 3.5 GHz) and AMD Radeon GPU with RDNA 2 architecture (ray tracing acceleration; up to 2.23 GHz, 10.3 teraflops) …

Etherium mining was successfully launched on the console, which is confirmed by the photo with the screenshot. Judging by the screenshot, the mining performance of the console reaches 98.76 MH / s, and the power consumption is 211 W.

We cannot exclude the possibility that for such a result the console was not only hacked, but also overclocked, since its “native” performance should be at the level of AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT with 50 MH / s.

At the end of last week it became known that the enthusiast managed to launch the Ethereum mining process on a MacBook Air with an Apple M1 SoC.

Now playing game(s?) will be even harder.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom