Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Thick as Thieves - co-op thief game set in alternate history Edinburgh from OtherSide Entertainment

Thal

Prophet
Given their history, I'd expect that the publishers will keep the devs on a tight leash from the get go. Which is definitely a good thing.

Last edited:

Flying Dutchman

Learned
Given their history, I'd expect that the publisers will keep the devs on a tight leash from the get go. Which is definitely a good thing.

Fair. And it would be smart of them, like you said.

I do wonder if the franchise holders are sometimes so clueless and ill-informed about game development companies that they don't do their research. It feels like it would only take 5 minutes to realize what a bad idea some of these companies are.

deuxhero

Arcane
Allow me to join the people asking "How?!" and "Why?!" at hiring Otherside. Literally everything that company has worked on has been a bomb.

Gargaune

Magister
The incline of BG3 must be balanced out by the decline of multiple D&D shovelware titles. All things must remain in balance.
I really doubt Otherside will be able to balance out BG3's party controls, not unless Unity supports telepathy.

just

Liturgist
otherside must have some high speech fuckers to still get these deals
they should restructure to sell insurance or used cars

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Btw, Hidden Path's game is AAA open world RPG. Looks like my guess was right.

I'm wondering if this is a D&D RPG.

Interesting, Hidden Path (of CS:GO, Defense Grid) is making a AAA fantasy RPG: https://jobs.gamasutra.com/job/senior-level-designer-belleview-washington-34522

You will create new gameplay experiences for our AAA fantasy RPG that will set the gold standard for level design. To accomplish this, you will interface with numerous strike teams across all disciplines, creating levels from concept to completion. You will collaborate with combat and encounter teams to establish standards and practices for gameplay, with narrative to ensure theme and IP are consistent and strong, with art to ensure levels look as great as they play, with producers to get level design tasks created, assigned and kept up to date. You will organize level reviews and playtests. We want you to be able to mentor others as we grow the team. This role reports to the Lead Designer.

(Also the studio is close to WotC HQ.)

(Makes me think what WotC guys are thinking about the recent Bloodlines 2 fiasco. Sure, Hidden Path is more competent studio with a good track record but still, a studio without RPG experience get to make AAA oepn world RPG.)

(I was about to make a thread about this game too but thought there are not a lot of things to discuss until proper announcement, unlike this thread of 'why and how'.)

stealth edit for archival purpose: Apparently Hidden Path is making a Ravenloft RPG.

Last edited:

deuxhero

Arcane
Interesting they use "third-person" for this. I suspect that's not how the industry normally refers to overhead view and thus I suspect it's not a proper turn based game. According to Wayback Machine, recruitment for this started between August and December of 2020.

Calthaer

Educated
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Well a new Ravenloft book is coming, maybe they're making a new domain or something for that. I think 'Thief-like but more horror' setting could work in there. Well they can also bring Tracy Hickman.

It's more likely that they'd bring folks like Cassandra Khaw and Molly Ostertag and other writers who are prominently touted as the authors of the new Ravenloft book which I will of course be avoiding.

Testownia

For a moment I misread it as "Obsidian Entertainment" and got excited. Either way, curious that they label it as a "Dungeons and Dragons" game, and not a "Forgotten Realms" game. A different setting?

Testownia

Well a new Ravenloft book is coming, maybe they're making a new domain or something for that. I think 'Thief-like but more horror' setting could work in there. Well they can also bring Tracy Hickman.

As long as the protagonist is voiced by Steve Russell, I'm happy.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
For a moment I misread it as "Obsidian Entertainment" and got excited. Either way, curious that they label it as a "Dungeons and Dragons" game, and not a "Forgotten Realms" game. A different setting?
"Dungeons & Dragons" has at leas 20 times the brand recognition as "Forgotten Realms". Nobody cares about the forgotten realms.

Testownia

"Dungeons & Dragons" has at leas 20 times the brand recognition as "Forgotten Realms". Nobody cares about the forgotten realms.

Either way, just make a Dark Messiah of Might and Magic game and I'll be joyful.

PapaPetro

What happened to the old domain? The Dread one?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
thinking.png
https://otherside-e.com/wp/join-ose-the-stagecoach-foundation-this-weekend/

Join OSE & The Stagecoach Foundation This Weekend!

Join OtherSide Entertainment this weekend for an online fundraiser hosted by The Stagecoach Foundation, started by prominent New Mexicans including noted fantasy and science fiction author George R.R. Martin. This fundraiser will help to offset losses from the COVID-19 pandemic as well as support the foundation’s ongoing efforts to expand access to careers in the film, television and games industries in New Mexico. Many amazing items will be auctioned off, including a 1 hour virtual chat with game designer, Warren Spector, for 1 lucky winner and 3 of their friends! Follow the link to bid and for more information about other exciting events happening during the fundraiser.

legionm.com/wild-cards

Also, are their forums dead?

AliceAlcina

Learned
RPG codex:
2019: Larian should make BG3, or CD Projekt
2020: Larian's stories sucks! abort BG3
2021: unknown devs should get prestige to be alllowed into D&D franchise making
Larian :despair:

Also, really hope "existing IP" is either IWD 3 or NWN 3. How cool would that be?

Mortmal

Arcane
RPG codex:
2019: Larian should make BG3, or CD Projekt
2020: Larian's stories sucks! abort BG3
2021: unknown devs should get prestige to be alllowed into D&D franchise making
Larian :despair:

Also, really hope "existing IP" is either IWD 3 or NWN 3. How cool would that be?
We got BG3 and we should praise praise sven name everyday for it happening, we get the indie team out from nowhere making solasta which is great and even better on some aspects too. Now its time for shovelware , card games, and action rpgs, with heravy emphasis on action. IWd3 or NW3 woud be announced by now.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
I'm sure someone can/will make IWD3 in KotC2 whenever Pierre decides to release it. Otherside are not coming to save you.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom