Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Underrail Dev Log #69: Version 1.1.3.0 - Crossing the Styx

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Stygian Software; Underrail; Underrail: Expedition

Styg has published the first new Underrail development update in half a year, announcing another new content update for the original game. He's somewhat vague about what the new content is about, but apparently it involves a special questline for players who have become "genetically compromised" and requires the Expedition DLC. The update also adds a bunch of new areas to the game, some of which will appear randomly in different playthroughs, and tweaks the balance of a few weapon types. Here's the summary:

Hi guys,

We're rolling out a new content update. It's going to be a somewhat weird update because the main bulk of the content is centered around something that is not part of a mainstream playthrough. We added an interesting adventure and resolution to players who get... genetically compromised during their time in Underrail. Where and how is for you guys to find out (it does require the Expedition DLC though).

Also we've added more than a dozen new areas to the game, some of which will appear randomly in different playthroughs.

Mechanics-wise I've taken a look at firearm pistols, throwing, and super steel weapons and made some improvements and/or tweaks there.

That's all for now. Let us know how you like the new content.

Cheers.
As usual, the full update has an extensive changelog, including more details about the new content and content tweaks.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
It's going to be a somewhat weird update because the main bulk of the content is centered around something that is not part of a mainstream playthrough.

I remember when optional quests had optional quests

Anyway this sounds awesome, loving the support guys like Styg and Cleve show for their products

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
You guys laugh, but I've got over 1k hours in this mother fucker.

Welcome to the 1K Klub.
prestyge.png

Mine:
ss+(2021-03-01+at+03.05.47).png

You are now aware that more time has passed between Underrail's v1.0 release and today, than had passed between Fallout's release in 1997 and the Codex's founding in 2002.

Diggfinger

Arcane
You guys laugh, but I've got over 1k hours in this mother fucker.

Welcome to the 1K Klub.View attachment 18139

Mine: View attachment 18140

You are now aware that more time has passed between Underrail's v1.0 release and today, than had passed between Fallout's release in 1997 and the Codex's founding in 2002.

Da fuc datssupposed to mean??

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
If they keep doing updates, maybe tweaking the end game would be a good idea. That's where it kind of falls apart.

The rest of the game is pure awesomeness as it is.

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Didn't know that there are people who actually like the Deep Caverns. The more you know...

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Very few people like or enjoy DC per se, but there are plenty who feel middle-of-the-road about it and who dislike the common notion that it's bad enough to detract from the game.

The fact that it contains a real, actual maze and a real, actual difficult puzzle to solve elevates DC well above the Skyrims of the world, games that feature visually disguised linear combat corridors speckled with obvious treasure nooks and "puzzles" that a five-year-old child could accidentally solve. Even being an obnoxious, vexing slog can be seen as a point in its favor.

I'm middle-of-the-road on both DC and the expansion. Locusts, on the other hand, ARE bad enough to detract from the game: swarms of enemies that individually attack many times per turn and can defeat the player through the force of sheer boredom, forcing even me—with over 1,000 hours in Underrail and having preached patience with its sometimes time-consuming peccadilloes—to dial up the combat speed for the first time.

Scrounger

Educated
I also like DC. Truth to be told, when I was playing this game for the first time I didn't used any walkthrough nor I've been in contact with the rest of the fanbase. It was kinda surprising when I found out about DC controversy.
Yeah some things were very tricky to crack down but I was taken in by the atmosphere alone which, to be honest, I didn't expected at all...

Black Angel

Arcane
The only obnoxious parts of DC was actually the mandatory backtracking to Arke just to power up certain parts of the Hollow Earth for exploration. Technically, you'd only need to backtrack once iirc, but for first timers who didn't know any better, well... suffice to say I was going to suggest some ways for Electronic-expert characters to circumvent this and never have to backtrack, but I'd still want Styg to consider making it so there's no need to backtrack.

The other one is the way to progress in Mushroom Forest. That's just.... even with the new dialogue, I can't exactly comprehend how to justify inhaling seemingly deadly spores on purpose.

And that's it. Even the respawn aren't as bad, since you could just go and hide in the nearest hatch and wait it out. Though I imagine this would be hell for non-stealth characters, but still. Tabi Boots, or Strider-modded Boots, and with the addition of out-of-combat speed slider, really shouldn't be all that bad.

The thing is, all this bad stuff was cranked all the way past eleven in the Black Sea, and the not-so-bad stuff are now bad like the respawns, which is just sad. I'd sincerely hope Styg would consider his design philosophy for Infusion, because I truly dread what's to come if he insists on doing things the way he's doing it currently and with the Black Sea.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
And that's it. Even the respawn aren't as bad, since you could just go and hide in the nearest hatch and wait it out. Though I imagine this would be hell for non-stealth characters, but still. Tabi Boots, or Strider-modded Boots, and with the addition of out-of-combat speed slider, really shouldn't be all that bad.
If you're not going to collect puzzle components you don't have to spend any more time in Hollow Earth than necessary to run from one exit grid to the other

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom