Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News The Jovian System is an upcoming followup to Titan Outpost featuring zero-G turn-based combat

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: The Boar Studio; The Jovian System

Back in 2019, veteran Codexer MF released Titan Outpost, a unique hard sci-fi RPG set on the moon of Saturn. Despite a buggy launch it was one of our highest rated games for that year and has been updated extensively since, including a significant content expansion released back in August. The next month, MF revealed that he was working on a followup called The Jovian System. As you might guess, the game is set near Jupiter this time, where the local moon colonies have been left to their own devices after a major disaster. As the player character, you will assume control of a partially constructed spaceship and decide how you want to deal with the aftermath. The Jovian System will retain the base-building elements of Titan Outpost, but will also include a turn-based combat system with unique zero gravity mechanics. Today MF unveiled the game's Steam page, which means it's a good time to finally post about it. There's no trailer yet, but here are some screenshots and the description:

In the late 21st century, mankind has turned to the solar system to meet its ever-growing needs. The frontier colonies orbiting Jupiter are in disarray after a major disaster on one of the Galilean moons. With the powers that be unable to respond in time, the Jovian System is left to its own devices.

You take command of a space ship still under construction and use it to navigate the system. Exploit the power vacuum to seize control, take it upon yourself to help people in need and build a sustainable habitat, or turn the space station into a transfer ship and set course for earth.

The Jovian System is a followup to Titan Outpost set in the same universe. It features similar gameplay elements with one major addition: Tactical Turn-Based combat in zero or low gravity environments.

Key Features
  • A hard science fiction setting inspired by Robert Heinlein, Arthur C. Clarke, Isaac Asimov and Stanislaw Lem.
  • A sandbox structure in which your choices determine the fate of the Jovian colonies.
  • A rich character-creation system, in which you define your character's attributes and develop his or her skills and gear over the course of the game.
  • A ship-building system, in which you must manage your crew, resources, and facilities to survive the vacuum of space and deal with your rivals.
  • Multiple approaches to the game's challenges: dialogue; crafting; exploration; trade; and combat are all viable ways to win.
  • A rich and reactive story full of mysteries, twists, and memorable characters.
Cool stuff. The Jovian System doesn't have an official website yet and is still a long way off, but as before MF will be posting development updates in his subforum right here on the Codex. Be sure to check out the first update about the development of the game's combat system.

Darkozric

Arbiter
Edgy
So the bloated pseudo-RPG with no combat is getting a sequel which turns it into a space sim? Interesting times for RPG fans

I don't know about the RPG aspect but at least in terms of art it doesn't look like another darkest dungeon cheap cartoonish art style or another faggotry pixel art game or some kind of a shell shaded abomination.
Artistically, it's baby steps to the right direction (at least for me). If the sequel have decent combat I'm interested.

Last edited:

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Yeah, Titan Outpost is kind of game I look at - it seems a bit alien for me (so I didn't buy) but interest to it grow more over time for me.

MF

The Boar Studio
Patron
Developer
Thanks for the response, everyone. I know 2023 seems like a distant point on the horizon, but there's only 24 hours in a day. I'll keep you in the loop.

Does my station have to have faux-wood paneling?
Absolutely. Integral part of the setting.

MF

The Boar Studio
Patron
Developer
Will it have romances and blue alien chicks to sci-fi hard?

You can sci-fi hard to your heart's content, but no Biowarian romances and certainly no blue aliens. Attraction is a charisma and disposition/relation check with some RNG.

Irxy

Arcane
Project: Eternity
You can sci-fi hard to your heart's content, but no Biowarian romances and certainly no blue aliens. Attraction is a charisma and disposition/relation check with some RNG.
Jokes aside, does the game involve any significant inter-character relations development, not necessary biowarian romances, maybe friendships, drama, rivalries etc.? Wondering about both Titan Outpost and plans for the new game.

MF

The Boar Studio
Patron
Developer
Jokes aside, does the game involve any significant inter-character relations development, not necessary biowarian romances, maybe friendships, drama, rivalries etc.? Wondering about both Titan Outpost and plans for the new game.

You can build relationships with NPC crew and other characters in Titan Outpost. This is reflected by the relation/disposition value, which ranges from -10(hostile) to 15(affectionate) although there is no upper limit. With high awareness you can see the exact numbers. Doing something to piss a character off will lower this value, helping them out will raise it. So will simply being charming or displaying values congruent with theirs, but this usually requires high charisma. You can shag in TO, which leads to a morale boost. There are two minor inter-NPC relationships with recruitable characters, and two major ones among plot-related characters. There is little drama unless you mismanage the living conditions or kill their friends.

Jovian System will have a similar setup, with probably a bit more interaction between NPC's and synergy bonus/malus.

aratuk

Cipher
Why no GOG (or itch)?

Is there concern about diluting sales across platforms, making the game appear to be less popular on each of them? I have seen other devs cite this as a reason for consolidating on Steam.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Even direct buy like some devs do is an option I'd consider. Steam sometimes annoys me. I guess I need to just have a steam machine and clutter it up with steam, epic (lol.. NO!), ubisoft, etc.

Codex Year of the Donut
Why no GOG (or itch)?

Is there concern about diluting sales across platforms, making the game appear to be less popular on each of them? I have seen other devs cite this as a reason for consolidating on Steam.
Titan Outpost was rejected by GOG.
To everyone holding out hope for a GoG release: Not gonna happen. This was sent to me about two weeks ago:

"Thanks for reaching us again.

We've taken another closer look at the game and while we find it really fun, I'm afraid we are not confident enough to release the game on GOG platform.

If you have any other games in the future that might be a better fit for GOG, please let us know, and hopefully we’ll be able to work together."

I asked them to clarify what they mean by 'a better fit for GOG', but I've had no reply. Joke's on me for trying to engage with a boilerplate response, I guess. This is definitely a less personal approach than what they were doing before.

GOG only allows high quality games on their platform like Princess Evangile W Happiness

Last edited by a moderator:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom