Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Deus Ex GMDX: Deus Ex Advancement Mod v9 Released!

JohannDaart

Novice
Edit: After getting my Denton wet, I've found the full auto mod ;)

Ulysa

Scholar
I recently finished Deus Ex for the first time ever, I missed it in the past because I'm pretty bad at FPS so I had this stupid aversion (I used Gmdx though).
It is glorious as everyone says. I didn't expect to enjoy it so much, specially because it was very difficult for me at some parts like when you have to pew pew Gunther. But it also made me so sad, asking why can't games be like this anymore???
Favorite part was talking to Morpheus and later IAs, I think I took a screenshot of every line.
One of the ends was exactly what I wanted to choose from mid game. That never happens to me, I usually end up with bad feelings or asking wtf, this is the end? But yes that's all I wanted, IA should take over mankind's government, thanks.
Also JC deserves the meme status that he has.
Thanks to the Codex for making me play it. I can't believe I was living my life without Deus Ex. :bro:

Ninjerk

Arcane
I recently finished Deus Ex for the first time ever, I missed it in the past because I'm pretty bad at FPS so I had this stupid aversion (I used Gmdx though).
It is glorious as everyone says. I didn't expect to enjoy it so much, specially because it was very difficult for me at some parts like when you have to pew pew Gunther. But it also made me so sad, asking why can't games be like this anymore???
Favorite part was talking to Morpheus and later IAs, I think I took a screenshot of every line.
One of the ends was exactly what I wanted to choose from mid game. That never happens to me, I usually end up with bad feelings or asking wtf, this is the end? But yes that's all I wanted, IA should take over mankind's government, thanks.
Thanks to the Codex for making me play it. I can't believe I was living my life without Deus Ex. :bro:
They never were before and haven't been since.

JBro

Arbiter

I'll take credit for this. You're welcome.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Yeah, and my pick is new medival age... to give humanity some time and last chance.
I always picked that when I was young. But as I get older, I think it's more and more of a dumb choice. Plunging humanity back into the pretech would lead to billions of deaths from plague and starvation, and there's zero guarantee we wouldn't just end up in the same place. After all, in 100% of previous cases, advancing in tech led to the dystopia you are blowing up.

I do appreciate the option being there though.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
I didn’t think plunging mankind back could work, because all the easy resources have been exhausted. This is why the Helios ending always grabbed my attention. It was either doubling down on the problem (relying on technology to be a savior of mankind), or finally cutting through all the bullshit, greed, paranoia, etc.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Are we going to have this conversation? Because I'm here for it. Helios ending is my favorite, probably, because of how wild it is. Plunging civilization into a dark age we've seen and done in history. We've seemingly never had a God we could actually perceive and take orders from. If you don't think it ultimately ends in Skynet, it seems like an attractive option.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
I enjoyed the Helios endings from both Deux Ex and IW, but they were almost too compelling if that makes sense. To my recollection, the best counterpoint to Helios was from IW (for all of its faults) in that hoping technology would magically fix everything was delusional and naive.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Plunging humanity back into the pretech would lead to billions of deaths from plague and starvation

People are made to die. People are always dying. Like if there is less death when damned warlocks-scientists came true? Like is two world wars, nuclear weapon, biological weapon is something you missed, like if you missed all the all the covid hoax, which is case of crystal clearglobal social engineering.
White race is almost destroyed as a result of all previous work.
Glorious science killed much more then plague - which by the way, was rumored in ancient Russia as jew's deed, in other words artificial, if yes - first scientists were involved.
Of course, even name of the game suggests that true ending is merging with Helios.

I didn’t think plunging mankind back could work, because all the easy resources have been exhausted.

So what? There will be less civilization in modern understanding, which is definitely good.
Of course, it's anyway doomed to fail, as to correct mistake you need to know about it first, and those who control information - control the world.
Illuminati in game woudn't let information spread, nobody will know what happened so it's just delay.

Helios ending is my favorite, probably, because of how wild it is. Plunging civilization into a dark age we've seen and done in history.

Yeah, and satanic rule on the Earth is really wild. Because this ending is nothing but rule of Beast on Earth.
It imply the human isn't a measure to all things, he can't manage himself, and so need to be ruled by god, but there are no God except Christ, and such as this obviously not the Second Coming, it's clear what it is.
So no, dark age is million times better.

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
But he is not JC, that's the point. Second Coming has nothing to do with cybernetic augmentations.
you missed the point about the game revolving around Voltaire's concept of God. To which Helios very much fits that. JC being the avatar of god ie. Jesus.
The Illuminati attempted to be that concept of god but failed miserably when MJ12 began operating out in the open (the occupation of paris). The illuminati ending is attempting to restore that concept of god but keeping a leash around its neck as opposed to Helios which is unleashed on the world. And The dark age ending is what happens when you reject that concept of god and put man in charge of everything (it may still lead to technology returning but for a good decade everything would be reset).

People are made to die. People are always dying. Like if there is less death when damned warlocks-scientists came true? Like is two world wars, nuclear weapon, biological weapon is something you missed, like if you missed all the all the covid hoax, which is case of crystal clearglobal social engineering.
I think you missed the point of the game almost entirely tbh. Replay the Versalife section and you'll understand what the virus' purpose is IRL. (it ties into that whole being god and deciding who lives and dies).

Last edited:

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
The dark age ending is what happens when you reject that concept of god and put man in charge of everything (it may still lead to technology returning but for a good decade everything would be reset).

I never 100% understood the suggested implications of the Dark Age ending in Deus Ex. Would the destruction of the "communication hub" really be that drastic?

All the technology and expertise still exists, at most you'd think it would cause some short term chaos and destruction whilst communication is restored.

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
All the technology and expertise still exists, at most you'd think it would cause some short term chaos and destruction whilst communication is restored.
It would decimate the ruling class though the illuminati and MJ12 relied on the internet and technology to control the world. Taking down that communication hub would allow states to do things without their intervention long enough to establish themselves outside of control.
Basically you're making it so only the strongest had a place in the new world order which plays into the Triads mentalities but its on a global scale now. The triads and how they behaved never sat well with me, they were in the game as untrustworthy as they are IRL.

To explain the endings further:
- Helios = God emerges to command man and "save" him - wishful thinking and Invisible War shows us that it might've been a mistake
- Illuminati = God emerges to serve man, man may try to save himself but its doubtful as everything is continuing on as it always did.
- Dark Age = God never emerges and is dead, man is doomed at least in the short term and may save himself in time but we don't know because of how radical a shift it is. Invisible War shows this ending did basically nothing except create a bunch of resentful hardship for people.

Last edited:

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
"Yesterday we obeyed kings and bent our necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to truth..."

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
In my opinion:

Dark Age - setback, literally restart. Will obviously lead to the same shit again, only later
Illuminati - keep status quo, change nothing
Helios - the only choice that gives change by actually creating nearly omniscient being with a corporeal presence

I always pick Helios. Two other options simply suck, with Dark Age one especially.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
In my opinion:

Dark Age - setback, literally restart. Will obviously lead to the same shit again, only later
Illuminati - keep status quo, change nothing
Helios - the only choice that gives change by actually creating nearly omniscient being with a corporeal presence

I always pick Helios. Two other options simply suck, with Dark Age one especially.
Always the dark age thing! Nothing beats watching libtards losing everything :smug:.

Tho i don't remember if jc dies from the emp blast,because he is half a toaster.

Latelistener

Arcane
Hate to disappoint you, you but the IW ending showed that Helios's ending is exactly "all are equal" and not in a good way.

Helios will speak. Year of our Union, 125. Our consensus remains clear. Yes, we will prolong a second century of peace. Economic automation is complete. Our research will now encompass other frontiers. Yes, this is the consensus we have created. Our unity will soon be absolute. The remaining boundaries are vanishing. Yes, share your mind with everyone. Open yourself. Your needs are the needs of all. Let us understand and be transformed. Yes, transform each other and transform yourselves. The only frontier that has ever existed is the self. Helios has spoken.

It's a direct opposite of the Omar Ending.

After the Great Collapse, only the mighty survived. Two centuries of war saw the rise and fall of many empires. It was the age of heroes, the battle-fired crucible of all subsequent history. In the end the Earth was no longer green. Nothing survived on its surface other than a few embers of humankind. But from this crucible emerged the master works of evolution. They were fit not just for the new Earth, but for the most barren corners of creation. The glory of humanity would henceforward stretch on through time and space to the vanishing point of eternity.

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
Both Helios and the Omar share something in common though which is the total loss of the individual neither are really good endings. Both seek to eradicate the self in favour of a hive collective mind with the Omar focusing more on self improvement towards the ideal and Helios focusing less on the individual parts and more on refining the system itself. But they are very similar in objectives.
Invisible War the Illuminati ending made the most sense as it just undid all the events of both games. Its also the least satisfying ending.
Templar ending is probably the most fun if the most unsettling as you're basically Deus Vulting your way to purification and ethnic cleansing.

I tend to favour Illuminati to Illuminati for DX to IW because they form a similar theme whereas Helios to Helios doesn't, in the Helios example they try to make it work and it fails then try again where it'll likely just fail again anyway, to me its a story that just doesn't go anywhere. At least with the Illuminati you have this sense that things may change in the future, Helios you don't it either goes two ways 1. Helios succeeds and its boring or 2. Helios becomes Skynet and determines that Humans were the problem all along.

Dark Age to Templar does make a lot of sense as well in comparison as effectively you're rejecting technology and regressing to a theocratic system of rule, a proper repeat of the dark ages where science is actively rejected in favour of religion.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Hate to disappoint you, you but the IW ending showed that Helios's ending is exactly "all are equal" and not in a good way.

Helios will speak. Year of our Union, 125. Our consensus remains clear. Yes, we will prolong a second century of peace. Economic automation is complete. Our research will now encompass other frontiers. Yes, this is the consensus we have created. Our unity will soon be absolute. The remaining boundaries are vanishing. Yes, share your mind with everyone. Open yourself. Your needs are the needs of all. Let us understand and be transformed. Yes, transform each other and transform yourselves. The only frontier that has ever existed is the self. Helios has spoken.

It's a direct opposite of the Omar Ending.

After the Great Collapse, only the mighty survived. Two centuries of war saw the rise and fall of many empires. It was the age of heroes, the battle-fired crucible of all subsequent history. In the end the Earth was no longer green. Nothing survived on its surface other than a few embers of humankind. But from this crucible emerged the master works of evolution. They were fit not just for the new Earth, but for the most barren corners of creation. The glory of humanity would henceforward stretch on through time and space to the vanishing point of eternity.

I never picked-up on the bolded text from the Omar ending. That is pretty damn cool. While Omar and Helios seemed diametrically opposed, both reached a similar conclusion (i.e., mankind is forced to change and venture into space).

[
because he is half a toaster.
God damn it, I laughed out loud at work from this.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom