Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Path of Exile is a MAJESTIC incline

Gerrard

Arcane
I agree, but imo there are no good words in english to describe it succinctly. At least not better than the more/less vs increase/decrease that they already use. You sort of have to show the mathematical formula for it to be clear, and that would immediately scare most people away.

At least they could have a build in tooltip showing results of changes like in PoB.

PoB is more fun than PoE :)
actually there was some drama involving pob. Guy behind it started to work for ggg, stopped updating his tool and refused to share code. This is why you see pob community edition now
Chris hates PoB. So they hired the guy so he wouldn't have time to work on it.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Chris hates PoB
Has he said why?

Chris has lots of weird opinions about the game in general imo, like thinking a decent trading system would ruin it, but also not being willing to make SSF a properly supported way of playing.

Theorycrafting a build on PoE is often more fun than actually playing the build itself.

Not sure if that says something more about me or the state of the game.
I wouldn't go that far. Theorycrafting a build is a lot of fun, but it quickly loses its meaning to me if I don't intend to *maybe* play it. And even with PoB, I frequently find I make changes after testing in reality.

eklektyk

Erudite
so a little quiz for ya:

how many patches there was since this trainwreck of broken spaghetti code left station on launch day of 3.13 ?

the answer may surprise you ...

theyre either still in denial or absolutely unable to fix it ... and simply braking more shit with each attempt ... at this point i gave up on this pos

answer is : 16 [thats one followed by six - yes its dead jim ..

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Chris has lots of weird opinions about the game in general imo, like thinking a decent trading system would ruin it, but also not being willing to make SSF a properly supported way of playing.

Chris Wilson is like Josh Sawyer on steroids, he has very strange ideas of "fun".

Unwanted

Sweeper

Unwanted
Zionist Agent
Chris Wilson is like Josh Sawyer on steroids, he has very strange ideas of "fun".
I wouldn't go so far. He might autistically balance the game, but thankfully PoE is too big to be balanced.
On the other hand the trading system and economy, in some respects he definitely is worse than Sawyer.
All that said Wilson autism > Sawyer autism.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I played the game for a few hours yesterday. I did zero research into how to play and just sort of assumed it was Diablo 3 with other shit I'll have to figure out later.

Cleared about 8 zones and got some decent progress on the skill tree. Might have hit level 10, but I don't remember off the top of my head.

I was playing as a Maurader and it was tough going at first with a club and shield. Then the RNG God's smiled upon me and gave me a two handed axe that does 80 damage and had evasion and resists on it. For a level 3 character, it turned me into a zone slayer. After getting that, bosses dropped fast and I cleared all the the starter quests without breaking a sweat.

I was about to kill that first skeleton boss for an achievement, but the server was laggy and dropped me, then the zone reset so I was like "eff it" logging out for tonight.

Seems ok for a free game, I didn't realized I had joined a "league" when I started though. I guess standard is the place for people who just want to play.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
Seems ok for a free game, I didn't realized I had joined a "league" when I started though. I guess standard is the place for people who just want to play
standard is where builds go to die.

League is basically fresh 'world', every 3 months or so. New mechanics and so on. Once it expires everything is migrated into standard where economy is... weird.

Matters less if you play ssf

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Ahh, I haven't really partaken of the economy because I have no idea what to even buy at this point.

Is it possible to "beat" the story in 2 or 3 weeks? I'm not sure how to tell when the leagues reset. If it takes a long time to beat the story, it might be better accomplished in standard.

I mostly want to complete the story arc first before I decide if I want to get on the "hampster wheel" league / ladder competition.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
Ahh, I haven't really partaken of the economy because I have no idea what to even buy at this point.

Is it possible to "beat" the story in 2 or 3 weeks? I'm not sure how to tell when the leagues reset. If it takes a long time to beat the story, it might be better accomplished in standard.

I mostly want to complete the story arc first before I decide if I want to get on the "hampster wheel" league / ladder competition.
i dont know where story ends any more...

you should be able to complete all the way until maps (you will know what it means when you get there).
Whether your build is decent enough... that you will learn more towards act 3

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
I guess I have time to figure it out, when the league rotation comes, if I want to finish the story I'll go for it, if not I'll restart if I'm still playing.

I've been trying to give equal balance to increasing damage vs defense / resists. I'm going at this with a diablo mindset so I'm trying to push my defense "tree" toward dexterity a bit so I can use a bow if I really need to.

So far, I've been able to curb stomp everything, but that might change later on.

eklektyk

Erudite
oh you Sweet Summer Child ...

i too once thought that capping resists did anything for my survival ... [since ggg just loves jerking to oneshots and "effects" that act like they should be removed/lessened by resists but arent and when players figure out workaround to this shit it immiedietly gets removed with extreme predjuce ... aka cluster jewels and how they got nuked from orbit for daring to give players immunity to all shit ggg loves to throw around on aoe on the ground ..] and thats just one example of many why thers no multitude of viable builds but just 3 main zoom zoomers and basicly nothing else - since if you didnot killed whole screen of mobs each of those left around has capaciti to oneshot you coz gameplay /ggg

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Iirc story content is tied to your character and nothing else, so even if you get booted out of league you'd be able to progress from where you were. But nothing wrong with playing standard.

A mediocre playing ignoring optional quests with bad rewards and trying to go fast will take around 10 hours to beat the campaign. There's some story after that, but then we're starting to talk dozens if not 100+ hours. I guess if it's your first time playing, you'd take maybe 12-20 hours to beat the campaign, depending on how much attention you pay to conversations and such.

Perkel

Arcane
You can finish main story up until maps in a day. Everything after that doesn't matter because in order for you to understand it you would have to play game since 2.0 as they remove story with bigger expansions replacing it with what comes next so you just play whatever they cooked up with without any way to know what is going on unless you watch stuff on youtube.

And it is not really great story to begin with. Everything after ACT4 is trashfire bolted on top of it.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
And it is not really great story to begin with. Everything after ACT4 is trashfire bolted on top of it.
There is truth to this, but I actually liked the shaper/elder version of the story. It's waaaay to thin for the hours of gameplay it's spread across, but it's cool.

The exact moment when the story goes to shit for me is when you kill the high templar in act5, but imo there is a pretty noticeable shit going from act 3 to 4. It's almost like acts 1-3 were originally planned and everything after has been bolted on by different writers.

Perkel

Arcane
Act 4 does make sense considering what Dominus says. It is everything after that they clearly didn't have really anything to write on. Elder Shaper was interesting but like you said there wasn't really any story to it other than shitty quotes from time to time.

POE problem is similar one to POEs lol. They explain mythos and then there is no mystery anymore. They reintroduces some of that with latest expansion but at this point damage is done.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Act 4 does make sense considering what Dominus says.
I feel like not really. Act 1-3 is the story of 'the exile'. You get shipwrecked, help other shipwreck survivors survive as you try to head inland towards civilization, get blocked by piety, have to take a detour, run into another camp of survivors, help them help you, accidentally awaken a sleeping evil, kill it and bam you're in the city, turns out piety and the person who exiled you are here as well tinkering with various forbidden magicz, kill em good and get your revenge, carry on and run into people living in the mountain of a slumbering evil god that is the source of magic, decide to kill it but oops it's possessed by some dude from the old kingdom, but it's k you kill both.

Imo there's a pretty clear shift from "story of the exiles revenge" to "we're killing slumbering ancient evils now because we happen to be close by" and then another dramatic shift to "we deiciding now" followed by the endgame dramatic shift to "we're exploring alternate planes of existence". Each of these shifts also comes with what I feel is a massive uptick in what the PC's powerlevel is supposed to be, from a sort of regular human at the start to some kind of multiplanar god of killy by the end.

Act 4 is tacked on in a better way, there is a lot of talk of virtue gems, the old empire and such in acts 1-3 so it doesn't feel as abrupt to clean that up but it's clearly an expansion/sequel to a finished story.

Are you people seriously arguing about story in this? I stopped reading dialogues in 1/3 of 1 act. The fact that it's presented in an extra small UI window that doesn't fit all of text and it awkwardly, slowly autoscrolls doesn't help.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
There is truth to this, but I actually liked the shaper/elder version of the story. It's waaaay to thin for the hours of gameplay it's spread across, but it's cool.

The exact moment when the story goes to shit for me is when you kill the high templar in act5, but imo there is a pretty noticeable shit going from act 3 to 4. It's almost like acts 1-3 were originally planned and everything after has been bolted on by different writers.

It's like as if adding five acts within ONE expansion pack is not a good idea to begin with.

Then again, story never really was the main appeal of Path of Exile for me, especially because it was lacking any form of opening cutscene which could have heavily improved the overall mood of the game, and laid down a good foundation for the story. Just giving you text after text, with some voice over doesn't cut it for me.

Zeriel

Arcane
Whew, forced bloom. That's an unwelcome surprise. Guess GGG is going on my shitlist.

Lone Wolf

Arcane
Vatnik
Ranselknulf

You should probably follow a build, homie. Because when you hit that wall, you're gonna hit it real fucking hard. This is not a game for figuring it out as you go along.

Some basic guidelines:

- Be elemental res-capped (75%) by Act 5 and then overcap to deal with the -60% you're going to get after Act 5 (-30%) and Act 10 (-30%). Believe it or not, you can really feel even a minor percentage lower than the res-cap.
- Don't worry too much about Chaos res; the game's not balanced around that particular resistance
- Aim for 6k+ life as a Marauder (most people would refer to the build by its related Ascendancy, so Juggernaut, Chieftain or Berserker) by the time you get to maps
- 1.5k life should be enough for Act 5, 3k should be enough for Act 10.
- Go for more damage only when life/res is comfortable
- Pick an AOE skill for your levelling process (single target skills will kill your fun factor); Ground Slam is massively popular for melee build levelling
- As soon as you have 5-6 chaos, aim to trade for a Tabula Rasa, to have a 6-link for your levelling process. Having the extra support gems is a huge damage/utility boost. If you're playing Ritual, you could get lucky and have enough by Act 2/3.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom