Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Alright you blobbering bitches, gimmie roguelikes

Self-Ejected

TheDiceMustRoll

Game Analist
I has a pretty successful thread from you guys when it came to Blobbers.

I beat Amberland, Starcrawlers, Vaporum: Lockdown, and played 39 hours of Wizardry 8, slammed my head onto my keyboard and begged the gods as to why the actual fuck the RPG codex would do this to me

Anyway I want some good roguelikes.

The only one I have on my PC that I've played is KeeperRL, which is alright for what it is. I'm looking at that ADOM: Caverns of Chaos, it looks sweet, but all the reviews are "the last game is good, this game is terrible but buy it anyway, the developer is based". Caves of Qud looks GREAT!!! but I don't want a theme that esoteric. So help me! Turn based is a must, none of these action-game roguelikes(Ive only played Binding of Isaac out of those, I got bored playing Moonlighter if that counts). I like being able to do shit quickly, and I like that if you do shit too quickly you get splattered. So help me lads!

- FUn
- Addictive
- Do not suggest hades
- i want to die a lot

Self-Ejected

TheDiceMustRoll

Game Analist
Oh, and when I die, I don't want any "things carry over" features. You die, fuck you, you die.

Tales of Maj'Eyal and Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup are great for beginners, I would recommend TOME especially and there are a lot of guides out there re: builds/strategies if you don't want to figure it all out yourself. There's a version on steam or you can download it at https://te4.org/

Otherwise depending on what themes you're into:
- Infra Arcana if you're into Lovecraft
- Prospector if you're into space
- IVAN for more classic fantasy

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
What's your definition of roguelike? My game will have procedurally generated worlds, permanent death and tile-based turn based combat.

Self-Ejected

TheDiceMustRoll

Game Analist
What's your definition of roguelike? My game will have procedurally generated worlds, permanent death and tile-based turn based combat.

that. I want to make one of those after spending 70 hours on KeeperRL and finding the gameplay great.

Problem is, KeeperRL is kind of repetitive after 70 hours. I've managed to beat it, and I guess the next thing to do is to sit around and scratch my balls until they make more updates, which is fine i guess

Bara

Arcane

:happytrollboy:

I mean if you do actually try it though just get it off a DOS archive website.

bionicman

Liturgist
why is he selling it on steam if he's just giving it away for free
Some features are missing in the free version https://www.adom.de/home/faq.html

Also, here are some suggestions for you to try:
- Nethack: like ADOM but with simpler character development... which is good IMO cause with ADOM there are a lot of skills/attributes and such that are crap so you have to read a guide to see what is trash and what is actually useful
- Dungeons of Dredmor: it's kind of like a casual roguelike but a bit grindy with a lot of trash loot if I recall correctly. I like the way it does skills/character creation though since it's classless.
- Brogue: I recall it being simple to play and having good UI, anyways a unique roguelike you should give a try
- Cogmind: unique sci-fi setting

Trithne

Erudite
Sword of the stars: The Pit.

Sci fi roguelike, standard tile based, turn based, you move the world moves, etc.

A bit rough but I enjoy it. If you're going to play it though, get the Quality of Life mod.

Only "persistent" stuff is recipe unlocking (QoL mod let's you unlock them all from the start if experimenting with random crafts that might make something and just deletes your items if you're wrong isn't your thing), and optional rooms you can store things and exp in which are shared, but you can ignore those.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Brogue
MxlU5QK.png
ePZMZH9.png
JZXr0W5.png
All progression is done via items, and one important type of scolls especially is used to permanently improve another item. The game delivers the identify and manage your items and tactical combat gameplay loop extremely well in my opinion, a game can be very different from another depending on what you find and what item(s) you decide to upgrade, the level generation is alright and the UI is very good, and it's satisfying to get good at the game.

Caverns of Xaskazien II
Somewhat at the opposite of the spectrum than Rogue, with important character creation and with a complex character system with plenty of skills and a divinity system. I think it's really the game which delivers PnP experience made from someone who thinks permadeath is probably the most important feature of PnP. I think the level generation is really good, you're going to visit many particular places like different mines and lairs, and there are some unique floors you may visit or not which are all very good, you will go through a lot of taps, shrines, magic pools and different types of containers, and, most important part of it, pass tons of skill checks (trap disarming, swimming, mining, history ...), constantly having to decide if the next possible reward is worth the risk. There are plenty of game changing spells and other items. The character system and level generation are really made with both permadeath and Pnp in mind, if you sometimes wonder if skill checks are fun and if classic RPGs may sometimes as well use deterministic approach to non-combat, in this game you'll have zero doubt, the skill check gameplay is super fun.

Occult Chronicles
It's not free but a demo is available. A bit less classic than the two games mentioned above, nothing happens directly on the map and events are resolved via a simple card game which your stats influence and where you can use your items. Events generally have multiple possible resolutions, and your stats will determine which approach you're going to choose. The character system is very good and the atmosphere is very cool. The item and spell rosters are very good too, and they're sparse, finding an item is often a big thing. There are not that many different events in the game, you'll basically face the same events in a different order in every game granted you don't die before that, and what really makes the games different is all the different possible characters, typically spell casters, brawlers and rogues will use a different approach to problems.

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
If you're willing to spend some time toying around I would recommend Nethack. Vast and difficult, but fair and very well balanced. You easily learn from your mistakes, which is good since you're going to do lot of them, and most of them will eventually kill you. I've played hundred of games, never went close to finish it, but was great fun. A game for people who like to experiment.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
why is he selling it on steam if he's just giving it away for free
Steam version is newer and has some extra features compared to free one.

Some suggestions:
Infra Arcana
Deep Sky Derelicts (with ironman on)
DoomRL
Tangledeep

Someone suggested SWotS: the Pit, but at least base game has pretty frustrating item drop rate.
Prepare to starve a lot, I got no idea if mod fixes that.

Last edited:

rezaf

Cipher
How about some unconventional suggestions?
I'll throw in Valhalla/Ragnarok, The Curse of Yendor and Golden Krone Hotel.

TigerKnee

Arcane
DemonRL is a cool SMT-inspired roguelike where you climb a tower while recruiting demon companions along the way - it's a very Pet-centric RL but the AI is surprisingly good in that regard

Self-Ejected

TheDiceMustRoll

Game Analist
ADOM has it, but does any other roguelike have a TES progression system? Do X, it levels up that skill?

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
ADOM has it, but does any other roguelike have a TES progression system? Do X, it levels up that skill?
Again, mine. I will bump this thread when the roguelike features are implemented. I'm happy there's demand

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom