Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Breathedge - Russian Subnautica set in space

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
It's juvenile.
I'm Russian. I don't like it.

Oh my. Tell me about humore you like, I'll drew my theлупу from my scabbard.

- Movement mechanics also might've been better. Personally I'd appreciate newtonian movement and dV budgets limiting map movement. And more 3d environment - I mean, now the majority of points of interest are placed on the local ecliptic or not far from it. But it might've made the game less accessible.

You think so? Really? The truth it is already less accessible.
I was watching streams with it for 2 days with distracting to anything other, and you guess what? - half of stupid jerks coudn't guess to STARE DOWn, under their feet and because of that actually find condoms and lightbulbs then.
Same for looking behind their shuttle for example. They simply were unable to grasp the thought they need to do 360 grade spin twice, to see what are their surroundings.

And the game doesn't provide you with an indication of how many stations you would need.

Don't be retard - you could EASILY measure how far you could go on the air capacity you have cause game tell you distance.
On 100-125 air you could go from 350-400 to 500 meters. You also shown distance to your goal. Do you forget simple arithmetics?

For me it was easy from the planning POW as well as gamey POW. But I can see how it might become a problem for general audience that doesn't like to think about the game.

So, major audience is retards as they are - what do you propose? Make game for retards?

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
To make it clear, here is my understanding of the game.
First is humor - it's one of the better parts of the game.
As a man of the presumable same age as the devs and who originates from same country (USSR) as they are, I immediately recognised the tone of jokes - it's a "men's club no ladies allowed" kind of thing. It's soaked in men spirit completely (it's not masculinased humor as it's a US thing) - you know, when father called you to garage to tell you something about transistors, resistors, magnets, condensators, to teach you how to work with soldering iron (like my father did), so I rememeber we did boats with small electric engine, where was made from kind of stryfoam, yellow and porous, there was engine with propeller screw?, that same battery that you see in game - it's exact copy of batteries that were produced and sold in USSR - and it could swim. We made it with brother, well, probbaly he made it, as I was like 5-6 y.o.
That's the general spirit of the game. Tone of humor is like that, and it's not rude nor soy - it's intelligent, laughing at excessive masculinity or soy-instead-of-blood kind of cringeworthy people both.
Other thing - they laugh at modern shit sjw culture, carefully. I don't remember how this superhero was called in English translation - poster with it you can found where you found double condome balloon - but in Russian he is called as Tolerast, which bears negative connotations - not insulting, but mocking instead.
So, I think half of negative revios are based on that - they can't directly blame devs in something (Russia luckily is out of reach for twitterasts), but they probably feel themself a bit uncomfortable in the realm of men, understood that there was some kind of mockery at modern trends, so they do negative revio things instead.
Also, if this type of humor is not your thing, probably do check out who wrote jokes for your favorite comedy shows - chances are it's gay, women or jew are high. Or double check soy level in your blood.

Second part is about The Game.
You should understand, that space is simply a less rich theme for such game, that's it.
Ocean is far more rich soil for exploration game, as it's a place with big biodeversity, or to say it rigth - divercity in systems.
Ocean is a place that gets different with depth, so enviroment is changing drastically not only with distance, but with depth too.
In ocean you have flora and fauna, so you immediately get game mechanics for that - player could interact with flora&fauna, but in space you can't.
Space is much more homogeneous than ocean, there is no depth at all, only distance, you could add radiation, cold, heat, but you could add the same to ocean so...
It's much more difficult, and without that layer game lose a lot, sadly.

Sabnautica devs delivered, but not quite actually. They underperformed in my opinion, they could do so much more, and graffixx is a bit on dissapointing side...
Anyway, I expected whole game be like first chapter - we have oxigene station, why not expand on that?
Some anti-heat umbrellas for example, as I remember from Azimov's short story on Mercury. So sad...

DeepOcean

Arcane
Problem is that I that I dunno if comedy was exactly the right tone for a game where a ship exploded, you are stranded, have to survive and you see dead bodies everywhere. If they wanted to do comedy, they should have done the game fully a walking simulator or adventure game then because as it is, survival mechanics dont exactly fit well with humor. "OMG, my oxygen supply is low!" then the game goes "random toilet humor joke.", man, I imagine myself going crazy with "Goddamned game, I dont have time for that, not now."

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Just finished the game. Like many others here I am VERY disappointed in the full product.

I made the mistake of starting a fresh game and playing it through from end to end, but this had the unintended effect that the 'change' from Chapters 1-3 (hereby referenced as the First Part) and 4-6 (hereby referenced as the Second Part) became MUCH MORE noticeable.

This is "bait and switch"-levels of change here, and I find that disgusting. We started out with Subnautica in space. The problem is that Red Fusion ran out of steam (and money) long before Unknown Worlds did, so they took what should have been a natural progression of the survival horror/crafting/base building-gameplay established in the First Part, and turned it into a Walking Simulator with action scenes.

What bothered me the most was the piss-poor level design, and the abysmal attempts at padding out the levels. Every location you visit in the Second Part is essentially a linear corridor, with the occasional bend in the road, but they all feature INTENTIONAL U-turns so that they double in length. I've never been more grateful for the run-option, but a scooter would have been awesome.

Chapter 4 has you flying a ship around (which sounds great at first, mobile crafting station/living quarters!) until you realize it's as slow as a dead turtle, and handles worse than one. And they put a simplistic space shooter in there? I didn't mind that actually, until I type these words now, when I realize that those flying enemies are the ONLY moving enemy in the Second Part (in the First Part they were the sentry bots). All other enemies and threats are immobile and spam-shoot at you.

My heart just sank towards the end of the game. All those base components you were looking for in Chapter 2, all those furniture and all that jazz with the ZAZ-car? Worthless, you don't use them after Chapter 3. The weak silver lining in the cloud is that you can visit every 'section' of the game once you've beaten it, in case you feel like having a go at finding all the collectables.

The plot was forgettable, but the humor fortunately saved the day a couple of times. There are few truly Laugh-Out-Loud moments in there... but I honestly don't know whether they're worth playing the game for, considering its uneven design.

Oh, and there's still that free DLC-coming up, but I doubt they can salvage the game after this.

sser

Arcane
Developer
When does this game get good? High reviews, but I'm about 100minutes in and it's boring as fuck. Great graphics, visuals, sounds, etc. but it's about as fun as running around a yard like a leashed dog.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
BTW, any idea what they're singing about in this one? The title is as far as I got.

Demo.Graph

Arbiter
BTW, any idea what they're singing about in this one? The title is as far as I got.
"For people of Rus to live in joy and wisdom one should maintain a sacred habit - to wear a beard with honour." I can't be bothered to trranslate it all, but it continues in the same style with text about a power of ancestors hidden in beards, a necessity of the beard to achieve victory, its manliness, a regret about Peter the Great cutting off beards of nobility, etc, etc. The choir and letmotif are stilyzed well, the text is openly satiric.

Last edited:

lightbane

Arcane
Sounds like people should wait for the inevitable "ultimate edition" after 1 year or more, once all the DLCs and patches are out.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik

They sing about beard, how it's given by God to observe the customs of the clan, and to be a man.

the text is openly satiric

I don't think so. :D

Sounds like people should wait for the inevitable "ultimate edition" after 1 year or more, once all the DLCs and patches are out.

If only they completely re-do second half of the game.
I want tо be robinson crusoe of space, not the friggin cptn Shep.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Yeah, this game is as tendinous as NMS, but in a different way. Where NMS is tendinous because of all the pointless mechanics, Breathedge is tendinous for the sake of being tendinous.

I mean you have 8 tools, where there are only 4 quick slots. So naturally you find yourself swapping them all the time and it drives you mad.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Yeah, this game is as tendinous as NMS, but in a different way. Where NMS is tendinous because of all the pointless mechanics, Breathedge is tendinous for the sake of being tendinous.

I mean you have 8 tools, where there are only 4 quick slots. So naturally you find yourself swapping them all the time and it drives you mad.

It's worse than that, "comrade". One of the eight tools is absolutely useless (Soil Analyser) and the end result of your analysis depends on where you rate the [blaster whose proper name I can't recall, but you get more than enough copies of it in the last two chapters of the game]. Which leaves most people with (about) six tools, and the game is very diligent in informing when and where they're needed.

Apologies, but I fail to see the problem right now. :/

ValeVelKal

Arcane
I am in Chapter 4. I think. Chapter 3 was skipped or was it just repairing the Normandy.

In any case, I now understand why everyone says this is one of the most disappointing game ever.

ValeVelKal

Arcane
OK finished it.

Immense waste of time from Chapter 4 onward, but also missed opportunity for the game.

They should have gotten rid of the Chapter system, have used radiation level to gate the game (instead of having only for quest : remove all radiation, and only then proceed), give you the Normandy early on to use freely, and then gate Normandy progression by the "upgrade" your bring Chapter 4 (eg if you go to THAT place without the IFF, you are going to have an hard time. If you go to THAT other place without the anti-asteroid, you are also going to have an hard time). This way, the Normandy would have been the equivalent of Subnautic's Cyclops : slow to move, but really a mobile base once you arrived.

Instead of that, they went dumb (or out-of-budget).

The good news is that they announced that the 2 DLC will be totally separated from the main story, so I have some hope.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
I think out of budget is right guess, I think they funded development from theit pockets, which became empty with covid hoax here.

Israfael

Arcane
Finished the game, don't get the attitude on 'dex, it's fine for the $8 I paid for it. I guess most of the political humor goes past the non-Russian audience (it seems the authors of the game are either tankie commies or very conservative or maybe they just hate /po/ of Russia's main 4chan clone), I actually wondered how it got the pass with the steam's censors (but I guess the SJWs simply died before they reached the most 'haram' stuff).

Also, it seems the international version of the game was somewhat neutered with regards to the hotbutton jokes, there's a "Sweden YES/Captain Sweden" poster that literally says "a supposedly (sarcasm) tolerant homo " (it's a single word in Russian, "tolerast"), there's also "Tomb raper" NES cartridge and some other shit that would probably get the devs banned if such games were more popular.

A message to our librul/ukraine friends (or could be a double irony, who knows, as the boss encountter is actually a reference to a court case in which a liberal activist was fined or jailed because he threw a cardboard cup at a police officer during yet another protest)

In March 2020, many hospital bosses did everything to conceal that they had COVID patients, so the actual doctors who risked their lives not only did not get the promised extra $ for treating the patients but also were fined / gagged if they dared to say publicly that they had many COVID carriers in their hospitals. One or two medical workers even commited suicide when they got sick themselves because they were ostracised by their bosses/ coworkers:

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
I think authors are abou my age, so...

I actually wondered how it got the pass with the steam's censors (but I guess the SJWs simply died before they reached the most 'haram' stuff).

Well that poster with Mr Tolerast is in the first area, but given how inept people are, half of them didn't manage to find it, I swear.
Thye flew around one hemisphere of that piece of ship, never figured out it has other one.

That one sopter is about navalniy activists I think.
Also in whole world activism is aimed at youth from the kindergarten now, but I doubt authors aimed this far.

Last edited:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron

Your complimentary free DLC has arrived, "comrade."

What is it? It's a time trial. Survive for 30 minutes. You'll quickly realize how challenging that is, as you have no 'safe zone' to rest in. Not even for crafting.

You will CONSTANTLY be moving about, scrounging for oxygen candles, or the resources to build them

I gave it a go, and lasted 9 minutes, 50 seconds. My reward? Being respawned with rewards (read, survival gear) in my inventory for having survived so long, and made to try again.

Also, if you watch the above video you'll know why there are so few moving things in Breathedge - the coder can't do human animations.

Well...at least it's free?

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
:necro:

Greetings, comrades! So the long-awaited day has come, when... when what? When something happened, you noted it correctly. It has been ten days since the release of Breathedge! Probably. A lot has changed in the meantime, but some things such as our inability to count will remain forever. Today we would like to briefly tell you about our plans: more specifically, about our next project.

First, the important part. Surely, many of you, looking at the title and the trailer above, have had slight suspicions that we are going to make an isometric 2D sandbox game about vegetarian spiders in a post-apocalyptic Mesozoic world, but no. In reality, we have started working on a direct sequel to Breathedge, and we named it Breathedge 2, so that at least one character in the title would trip off the tongue.

At first, we just wanted to add the number "2" to the Steam page title and triple the price, but we were told that's how remasters are done, not sequels. Well, if that's the case, so be it. Because of that, we had to create a new page and add various pictures & videos with descriptions there. Make sure to check it out because the main news about Breathedge 2 will be posted there. And of course, add the game to your wishlist: it's important, it's necessary, it improves posture, and also increases shine of your hair by 25%* (*to achieve the described effect, it is recommended to combine adding to wishlists with various back exercises and a good shampoo).

If you've stepped away to do exercises and drink shampoo, don't worry, we'll wait.

Is everyone ready? Let's continue. So, what is this Breathedge 2, and why specifically this one? After the release of the first part of the game, as well as its DLC, we delved into the long and meticulous process of structuring the pitfalls and mistakes we made before, during, and after the game's development. Your feedback and letters were of great help to us, and we sincerely thank you for that. And what did we discover? Gold! Haha, if only... In reality, one of the key mistakes was not the sudden change in gameplay, sloppy balance or script by a five-year-old (according to some reviews), but the inability to expand and further support the project. We built the game's architecture in a way that we would make it once, and that's it. The released DLC only emphasized the problem, as it didn't complement the game but created some incomprehensible narrative appendage without purpose or meaning. Bummer.

In Breathedge 2, we want to change our approach to work and create a game that we can expand and support together with players. Breathedge 2 will continue the story of the Man, the Chicken, and Babe, expanding the horizons of the world and delving deeper into the details of the universe. To understand what is happening around, it will not be necessary to play the first part at all, so new players don't have to worry about missing out on some important piece of the game or veteran players laughing and pointing fingers at them.

In Breathedge 2, you will have to explore the uncharted sections of the galaxy, survive in open, closed, and some other kind of space, on the surfaces of certain planets, asteroids, stations, and ships. You will even acquire a personal, spacious, and beautiful (according to the biased opinion of our artist) spaceship that will never lose the accumulated resources and will carefully store all the junk you find.

The game will feature a semi-open world with the ability to fly wherever the ship and crew's development allow. Yeah, even back, to some star system where we forgot something. It will no longer be a linear plot where an invisible hand of the scriptwriter forbids us to return. Freedom for the Man!

Since we've mentioned the crew, yes, Breathedge 2 won't be so lonely. In addition to the talkative Spacesuit and the Chicken, we will be accompanied by Babe, and later on, some other non-playable characters who will help us in the challenging task of survival. We'll have to consider the team, as they won't be running after us. They are independent and capable individuals who will find things to occupy themselves with. We will need to monitor their mood, health, and overall condition to avoid problems caused by a semi-dead navigator who, losing consciousness from hunger, might make a mistake with the coordinates and send the ship straight into a black hole.

The main focus will be on survival and development. No running back and forth, no corridors filled with tons of resources, no unique crafting just to open a single door, and other nonsense. Only honest and useful gameplay. Every created and upgraded item will be necessary. Every resource will be important. Every useless collectible item will be useless. That's how strict it will be.

In addition to that, items will no longer break every 10 seconds. They will have rechargeable consumables, the ability to be upgraded, disassembled, and supplemented. Backtracking for every little thing will be a thing of the past. There will be plenty of save slots, new graphics, various types of vehicles, pets, the construction of genuinely useful things rather than disposable bases, new mechanics, new opportunities, and so on and so forth. The new game will start from scratch. Only the essence and soul of the project will remain, with our subtle and unique sense of humor.

Those are the grandiose plans, and now all that remains is to bring them to life and make everything happen. When, you ask? Well...
That's all regarding the project and our immediate plans. But what about ourselves? Well, what about us? We're alive – that's a plus. We're relatively healthy, as healthy as aging chickens can be – that's also a plus. We keep an eye on events in the world that hurt our beaks. We keep an eye on events in the gaming industry that hurt our ego. We watch pigeons on the roof through large binoculars, because why would we buy it otherwise? Such is life.

Don't forget to add Breathedge 2 to your wishlists and keep an eye on the game's page. We will definitely share the progress of development more and more actively. So don’t you worry, we'll have enough time to annoy you.

tl;dr More of the same, except in different places.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
The main focus will be on survival and development. No running back and forth, no corridors filled with tons of resources, no unique crafting just to open a single door, and other nonsense.
Ok so they did learn.

Too bad they didn't realize how utterly imbecilic was the 2nd part of the first game, maybe I wouldn't have to refund it then.

Anyway this seems a few years away still, wake me up when it's done.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Breathedge VR!

Out on February 22nd.

This could be a fun trip in VR, but I ain't putting that thing on.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom