Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I just realized that this game might be Fromsoft's attempt at making their own Witcher 3, complete with colorful visuals, horse riding and shitty open world :prosper:

Maybe it was they that bought the CDproject code on the deepweb.

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
Dark Souls 4 but open world® let's goooooo
I'll call it right now : this is the game of FromSoft fall from grace. Quote me later.
shitty open world
Pleonasm, my friend. That's the main issue with all series that went open world : at best it didn't change shit, at worst it sabotaged the game design.
When it comes to game design today, open world is a flaw, not a feature.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I wouldn't put it past From Software to be innovative and fresh-thinking with this as they were with the DS line. Higher chance of that than with most devs. All hope is not entirely lost.

But more likely, yes - it'll be their decline.

Silverfish

Arbiter
There's different kinds of decline, though. Dark Souls 3 wasn't From's Fallout 3, but it was their Brotherhood of Steel.

ADL

Prophet
To be honest after Bloodborne and Sekiro, going back to Dark Souls mechanically seems like a step backwards that I don't want to take and the only thing that seems to be different is the open world structure where you have mounted traversal and combat to accommodate the grander scale. If this is another victim of the open world of nothingness, it's really gonna suck because the level design in From Soft games are great.
if-you-see-this-image-while-scrolling-you-have-been-3783818.png

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I actually tend to like open world games, but it seems like it would be a pretty bad fit for a Souls-like if that's what they've been making.

On the other hand, if they made their set piece environments except scaled up so you could visit each part of the giant castles in places like Boletaria and Lordran, etc. that might be pretty cool. It would probably come at the cost of making everything less grand though. Part of why those things work is that they span into the background as these impossibly huge structures or as buildings on top of decrepit past buildings, etc. So once it's all traversible it breaks the illusion of how vast everything is.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
"Open world" is one of those things that you might think you want, but wiser developers shouldn't let you have (like God Mode. as an extreme and obvious example).

Unless it's a sim or an MMO. Although an MMO necessarily has to be quite "compressed" (with lots of "things" happening in close proximity) so although it might feel like a vritual world, it never truly feels like an open world.

A sim can be much less compressed, but at that point there's a cost/benefit trade-off with story. If you've got a story, then a simulationist open world is pointless to spend time on, and if you're making a proper simulationist open world, you probably won't have any time or energy or money left over to make a good story.

The perfect combination would in fact be a vast, simulationist type of open world with a story threading through it, with tons of procedural generation of dungeons and side-quests, which is kind of what Daggerfall tried to do. But I don't think tech is up to it even now. It would require really clever AI that's hyper-aware of, and can parse the contextual meaning of, player choices, so that it could channel you to the story in any number of potential ways on the fly, plus extremely sophisticated procedural generation. And for a bonus, procedurally generated intelligent responsese from NPCs with (for an added bonus) really top class text-to-speech based on top class actors' voices. Still another - what, 10, 20 years off?

ADL

Prophet
Hope there's something we're missing like the trick weapons or combat arts because the windup for those attacks look pretty damn slow. The rolls are slow looking too. Pretty hard to get excited for this after playing stuff like The Surge 2, Nioh, Sekiro and Bloodborne.

Last edited:

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Hope there's something we're missing like the trick weapons or combat arts because the windup for those attacks look pretty damn slow. The rolls are slow looking too. Pretty hard to get excited for this after playing stuff like The Surge 2, Nioh, Sekiro and Bloodborne.

No, that's exactly how it should be. Dark Souls 3 going Bloodborne was one of the worst decisions FROM ever made.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom