Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect Legendary Edition remaster trilogy

Codex Year of the Donut
Ugh, what do you people consider xenophobic? What does she have to do for it to count for you? Genocide or suggestions of such?
-phobia implies irrational

Codex Year of the Donut
btw if you don't save the council at the end of ME1 one of the news reports in ME2 says something about turian forces readying to attack human territory

gosh ashley just get over it!

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
She was "right" insofar the law of averages and she suspecting every alien. Someone is bound to slip up eventually. Like I said, it's like suspecting white men and then going "see that my fears weren't irrational?" when they catch John Wayne Gacey.

Codex Year of the Donut
She was "right" insofar the law of averages and she suspecting every alien. Someone is bound to slip up eventually. Like I said, it's like suspecting white men and then going "see that my fears wasn't irrational?" when they catch John Wayne Gacey.
The only reason the council even cared about humans enough to intervene was because they realized humans were a major military power capable of pushing back the Turians who were -- thus far -- unmatched in their military prowess. They didn't care when it was human civilians being bombed from orbit.
The alien species never showed any concern for humanity short of what humans were capable of doing to them. You might want to replay the game if you forgot, but humans are pretty much on the intergalactic shitlist.

EnigmA

Literate
Know what, I changed my mind.

Lacrymas you managed to convince me that Ashley is a horrible person.

Gonna make a twitter account and get #CancelAshleyWilliams trending, that racist bitch is going to loose her Spectre job :argh:

All in all, you discussing her xenophobia has been fun. Your reasoning is top notch

Lacrymas

Arcane
But her comments go beyond politics and infect her perception of her allies and crew members.

ekrolo2

Learned
When Shepard tells her not to let her beliefs interfere with the job, Ashley listens and even speaks amicably with the alien party members in banter as early as 1. Her stance on aliens also improves by 3 a lot.

She shows empathy to Victus' son when he losses his platoon. She's heartbroken if Tali kills herself, calling her a little sister. She respects Grunt, Koris and goes to comfort Liara after Thessia. She doesn't trust the geth or rachni but then again neither does almost anyone else in the setting.

So yeah, Ashley is nowhere near as bad as people like to meme she is. Nor is she a race riot waiting to happen. But that would require actually playing the games and paying attention.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I am not "offended" by her. I am the one who proposed radicalising her even more because it makes for good drama.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Wait. Are people actually complaining to Bioware about Assley being racist and demand her to be changed for the legendary edishun?

A few years ago I would have laughed at that idea, but these days... a bunch of vocal twatterbugs are enough for game/movie studios to cave and avoid negative press coverage after all...
Sad.

Caim

Arcane
humanity's first encounter with an alien species was them bombing the shit out of humans with zero warning

ashley williams' grandfather was the general that surrendered at shanxi due to the orbital siege, btw
And she lost her squad in the first time the Beth returned in centuries. First contact fuckups run in the family.

Lacrymas

Arcane
None of this justifies xenophobia. Your grandparents could've been killed by a group of gays/Jews/Zimbabweans/heterosexuals, but that doesn't justify phobias or any kind.

Silverfish

Arbiter
None of this justifies xenophobia. Your grandparents could've been killed by a group of gays/Jews/Zimbabweans/heterosexuals, but that doesn't justify phobias or any kind.

b8ab533ae7170581189e1ba64e1cb5e047d59de12a570be129342447216cf8d1_1.jpg

Silverfish

Arbiter
We support human pattern recognition, but making reasonable assumptions about alien species, who have proven to be hostile in the past, is hokum.

warcrimes666

Educated
Patron
This is why everything is shit. Could there be a bigger harbinger of decline? Ash and Miranda's sweet ass were written in a complete politically correct environment for the time, everything and the kitchen sink was shoved in these games oh so long ago, and being worse for it were merely passable at the time and yet today, look like absolute Shakespearean Heaven. Your own extremist views and their propagation have suicided good games. Do you not understand that you are the terrorist?

Ashley Madeline Williams, Reasonably Attractive Biological Woman Human First Galactic Patriot, did nothing wrong.

Purge the xenos and their enablers

:imperialscum:

wahrk

Learned
People started discussing whether she's right or wrong/justified, but my initial point wasn't that at all. You can search Lambach's posts and see he also said she's xenophobic. I also pointed to multiple instances of irrational paranoia or casual species-based derogatory comments.

I believe your initial point was that Ashley is an “extremist”. People are disagreeing with that label because A) it’s ridiculous in a universe where:

- humans first contact with aliens resulted in the aliens bombing the shit out of them over a misunderstanding
- one of the dominant species in this universe mass sterilized another species in recent history
- alien terrorists try to drop an asteroid on a human colony because they hate humans

and B) this is all based off of what, a handful of private comments she makes?

You’re being unrealistic if you think that Ashley’s attitude would be an outlier and not the dominant view of the average grunt, or that other alien militaries don’t share the same distrust of humans.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom