Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Good jrpgs on switch

eli

Learned
Since real life things needs me to do stuff and I don't have to the time to play on PC i bought a switch and wanted to play the best rpgs i can. Also i wrote in the title jrpgs because the switch is full of that shit with almost no wrpg to play (or comfortable to play on a switch), BUT i know the codex can stand to that challenge.

RegionalHobo

Scholar
xeno remastered and three houses are the only ones i've played tbh. both are good

heard cold steel is also on switch, played it on other platforms, think it s meh at best

waiting for smt v

eli

Learned
xeno remastered and three houses are the only ones i've played tbh. both are good

heard cold steel is also on switch, played it on other platforms, think it s meh at best

waiting for smt v
Ehh, I don't really like the artstyle a lot of jrpgs have, looks edgy to say the least. I am more in line with pixel art or somewhat old anime artstyle (like DQ). But regardless, i wanted to know more about how good in general are itemization and theorycrafting in jrpgs.

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
Xenoblade Chronicle Definitive Editon and FE: Three houses.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is also quite good but it's quite slow to introduce it's mechanic and story , took until the end of chapter 4 to actually get good.

Digimon Story Cybersleuth CE is good if you are into Monster Tame game.. Other than those, Switch is quite lack of really good JRPGs.

Gearmos

Educated
Also i wrote in the title jrpgs because the switch is full of that shit

Dark Souls, Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen, The Legend Of Heroes: Trails Of Cold Steel III, Octopath Traveler, Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Ni No Kuni: Wrath Of The White Witch, Ys Origin, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of DANA, Atelier Ryza: Ever Darkness & The Secret Hideout, Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes Of An Elusive Age, Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age, Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster, Tales of Vesperia Definitive Edition, Collection of Mana, Trials of Mana, SaGa: Scarlet Grace, Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore, Labyrinth of Refrain: Coven of Dusk, Cosmic Star Heroine or Bug Fables: The Everlasting Spring.

with almost no wrpg to play

Diablo III: Eternal Collection, Divinity: Original Sin II - Definitive Edition, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, Darksiders Warmastered Edition, Darksiders II Deathinitive Edition, Bastion, Undertale, Transistor, The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Complete Edition, West of Loathing, South Park: The Stick of Truth, South Park: The Fractured But Whole, Child of Light: Ultimate Edition, Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Editions, Planescape: Torment and Icewind Dale: Enhanced Editions, Children of Morta, Torchlight II, Vampyr, Darksiders Genesis, Wasteland 2: Director's Cut, Pillars of Eternity: Complete Edition, Hades, Battle Chasers: Nightwar or Vaporum.

Ialda

Learned
I can vouch for Ys 8 Lacrimosa of Dana myself. Game is ugly as sin (it started life as a PS Vita game and it sure still looks like it even on Switch), but it's incredibly fun to play if you like exploration and fast-paced actions RPGs.

Tigranes

Arcane
  • Three Houses provides the turn-based combat starting point. You can more or less ignore the animu story and school shit if you want.
  • Dragon Quest XI on hardest settings can be a nice "classic" romp. Don't expect it to ever do anything surprising on any level, but it works if you want a big ass world to roam around and bash stuff.
  • Romancing Saga 3 is excellent with its own weird ass spin on the formula, and a good introduction to other Saga games.
There's a lot of ports but this depends - e.g. FF7/9/12 might be nice to play on this if you haven't got them elsewhere. I see no reason to play DOS2 or Witcher 3, etc on Switch if you can do so on PC. (Most ports are good quality, but there are a few stinkers like POE which apparently has an awful port.)

Games that I tried, and thought they were decent but nothing special, that I guess you could try if you wanted: Octopath Traveler, Ni No Kuni, Child of Light. Mercenaries games are a kind of poor man's FF Tactics series.

I've found that the Switch is good for me with less traditional RPGs and more hybrid stuffs, from Roguelikes/lites (Hollow Knight, Slay the Spire, Into the Breach) to straight off actiony games (Astral Chain).

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
If you want a traditional jrpg Bravely Default 2 just came out, i'm 12 hours in, if you like games with jobs systems this is your best bet.

grimace

Arcane
More RPGs to enjoy if you game on 3DS.

Still waiting for SMT 3 HD and SMT V Five the new one on Switch.

Yo-Kai Watch 4 may never get a western localized release.

Doktor Best

Arcane
Whats the deal with these yo kai watch games? Aren't these for kids? I read about them that they're easy as fuck and you can't even give your monsters direct orders?

So what makes them so good people are looking past these flaws?

Ialda

Learned
They are just Pokemon-like with cute graphics and monsters based on a mix between folklore and dirty jokes, targeted at elementary schoolers, with an aniçme series and a fuckton of merchandasing on the side. It's an easy way to score a big success in Japan, and I still can't believe how L5 succeded in fucking it up this bad.

grimace

Arcane
Whats the deal with these yo kai watch games? Aren't these for kids? I read about them that they're easy as fuck and you can't even give your monsters direct orders?

The target audience of Yo-Kai Watch 1,2,3 are children. The RPG mechanics are not difficult for experienced RPG players. You do not select moves/spells like in Pokemon or SMT or Dragon Warrior.

They are, however, fun to play. Relaxing and enjoyable. Colorful and funny. The creature designs are interesting and all based on real life ghosts/spirits/yokai/demons and some made up funny monsters.

Level5 delivered a high level of polish and made Yo-Kai Watch 3 a huge game with a lot of content, maps to explore, and 600+ monsters to collect. It's a fun way to spend an hour a day over a year to play thru.

I mentioned Yokai watch 4 as a game that is not available to western audience on Switch.

The answer to the original question of "good RPGs on switch"? We are still waiting for a good selection of RPGs on switch.

flyingjohn

Arcane

The target audience of Yo-Kai Watch 1,2,3 are children. The RPG mechanics are not difficult for experienced RPG players. You do not select moves/spells like in Pokemon or SMT or Dragon Warrior.

They are, however, fun to play. Relaxing and enjoyable. Colorful and funny. The creature designs are interesting and all based on real life ghosts/spirits/yokai/demons and some made up funny monsters.

Level5 delivered a high level of polish and made Yo-Kai Watch 3 a huge game with a lot of content, maps to explore, and 600+ monsters to collect. It's a fun way to spend an hour a day over a year to play thru.

I mentioned Yokai watch 4 as a game that is not available to western audience on Switch.

The answer to the original question of "good RPGs on switch"? We are still waiting for a good selection of RPGs on switch.
Just want to add that yo kai battles are more focused on being a manager then direct control.
You pick when to use specials,items and rotate yokai based on weaknesses.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Octopath Traveller is good, though it got a PC port a few years ago. Also keep an eye on Triangle Strategy, which has the same art style but is a FFTactics style game.

Doktor Best

Arcane
I agree that the 3DS is the better platform for J-RPGs. You not only get the vast library of the 3DS, but also backwards compability for NDS games. Those tend to go for absurd prices, but you can easily get an NDS emulation cartridge from China.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom