Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Deus Ex GMDX: Deus Ex Advancement Mod v9 Released!

Trithne

Erudite
Dark Age to Templar does make a lot of sense as well in comparison as effectively you're rejecting technology and regressing to a theocratic system of rule, a proper repeat of the dark ages where science is actively rejected in favour of religion.

God I hate the Templar ending.
We reject modification of the human genome as doing so takes us away from what makes us human in the pursuit of theoretical "perfection"

Becomes

har har we reject all technology and have reverted us to flame lit torches on stone walls while screaming about God.

The Templar ending of IW is some r/atheism shit, and a disappointment considering the Templars had a valid fucking point.

JBro

Arbiter
Dark Age to Templar does make a lot of sense as well in comparison as effectively you're rejecting technology and regressing to a theocratic system of rule, a proper repeat of the dark ages where science is actively rejected in favour of religion.

God I hate the Templar ending.
We reject modification of the human genome as doing so takes us away from what makes us human in the pursuit of theoretical "perfection"

Becomes

har har we reject all technology and have reverted us to flame lit torches on stone walls while screaming about God.

The Templar ending of IW is some r/atheism shit, and a disappointment considering the Templars had a valid fucking point.

Looks like someone needs a lesson from old Uncle Ted.

cWgospa.png

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
but the IW ending showed that Helios's ending is exactly "all are equal" and not in a good way.
There is only one Deus Ex game
Yeah, using IW to declare things canon about the DX endings is weird, since it does a weird mix of all three.

Illuminati - keep status quo, change nothing
It's not really keeping the status quo of year 2050 or whenever deus ex takes place, more like return to the status quo of late 1900s (in deus ex lore most of the advancements in peace, tech, etc after ww2 is due to illuminati meddling iirc). It is in some sense the safest option. The illiminati has ruled before, and the results were mostly good so if they rule again the results will probably be mostly good.

Latelistener

Arcane
Both Helios and the Omar share something in common though which is the total loss of the individual neither are really good endings. Both seek to eradicate the self in favour of a hive collective mind with the Omar focusing more on self improvement towards the ideal and Helios focusing less on the individual parts and more on refining the system itself. But they are very similar in objectives.
Unlike Helios where every mind will be united with a complete loss of individualism, the Omar ending doesn't mean everyone will become Omar. Moreover, their members do have some individualism in them.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
I always thought Helios was more akin to a level of connectivity akin to a hive mind, but everyone chooses the level of connectivity or how connected they want to be.

It's been a long time, but I remember contemplating between Tracer Tong's plan and Helios. The choice was difficult. I ultimately went against destroying the communications, because they would just be rebuilt--and likely by the people who built them to begin with. Illuminati are old fashioned evil with a messiah delusion. Not an option. Helios presented the best option not only to counter the wicked, but to do so with their own weapons with no collateral damage. All the other choices suffer immensely from unintended consequences even more so than a Helios. Also, Helios is (theoretically), the only one of these plans which can be aborted. There is technically no reason why Helios has to act as a techno-deity.

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
Moreover, their members do have some individualism in them.
I got the impression though that the Omar saw Individualism as a weakness, it was tolerated but those that remained individuals would never be true Omar and never rise up the hierarchy. The more powerful Omar had no individualism.
The Omar is the preferable option compared to Helios. At least with the Omar its about consent, Helios there is none JC and Paul just infect everyone with it and are expected to be ok with that. This is the same with the original games helios ending because you are creating a benevolent dictator against the will of the people. It's very difficult to imagine how people would just put up with that.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
you missed the point about the game revolving around Voltaire's concept of God. To which Helios very much fits that. JC being the avatar of god ie. Jesus.

You missed the point that all these concepts ends up in our real world, and for real world it is what I said it is.
All this excuses - oh, this is Voltaire. He was fucking satanist, I don't care.

I think you missed the point of the game almost entirely tbh.

I think you missed it too, how it connects to our life.

If anything, Helios is the one to evaluate every living person based on one's innate qualities.

You gave you freedom to satanic being, created by satanists.
You think that human isn't capable to rule his life, and need god to manage his life, while actual God gave freedom to human.
Enjoy your Omen movie so to say.
I actually suspect they will try to do that irl, and antichrist will come in that form. At leat this possibility is not excluded.

Last edited:

Latelistener

Arcane
I got the impression though that the Omar saw Individualism as a weakness, it was tolerated but those that remained individuals would never be true Omar and never rise up the hierarchy. The more powerful Omar had no individualism.
This is full of contradiction. If one can be become more powerful than the other, have a higher place in a hierarchy it's just speaks of individualism.

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
This is full of contradiction. If one can be become more powerful than the other, have a higher place in a hierarchy it's just speaks of individualism.
The scene in the game where your class mate is worried about progressing showcases this. He cannot become a true Omar unless he gives up his individuality in exchange for the most powerful augmentations. The omar elites therefore do not have individuality only the initiates do.

Notorious for the extent of their special nano-augmentation, the Omar are not fully individuals, rather, each Omar is crosslinked into one massive consciousness, achieved through the replacement of their frontal lobes with a wireless cortical interface. Thus, if something happens to an Omar, then all Omar will know about it and react accordingly. The Omar expand their ranks through covert recruitment of humans every day (sometimes by force), both augmented and not.

Whilst some of their sympathizers and agents are (still) human, those who undergo the irreversible process of conversion into Omar, are radically nano-augmented and have their frontal lobes replaced with a wireless transmitter.

the reason they oppose Helios is because Helios thinks what is best for humanity is pure and direct democracy. The Omar see that form of government primitive and prone to flaws (which makes sense since Helios already tried this and failed once already). The Omar though only look out for themselves and as proven by their ending are willing to sacrifice humanity as well as Earth as a lost cause. I will give the team credit that they at least allowed both games to have endings that really enable a lot of discussion and self reflection- to me that's always the best way to end a game or a movie.

All this excuses - oh, this is Voltaire. He was fucking satanist, I don't care.

"I don't agree with you and everything that I don't agree with is the devil"
Look the point is that Deus Ex's design team used the teachings of Voltaire and Tomas Aquinas as themes for the games progression. I don't agree entirely with them I'm just trying to explain to you why the game was designed with that in mind and its the underlying semiotics of the game. A lot of people don't realise there is a lot of religious symbolism in the first game but its hidden under the dystopian setting. (and a lot of it was removed because it dealt with Freemasonry).

Last edited:

Latelistener

Arcane
The scene in the game where your class mate is worried about progressing showcases this. He cannot become a true Omar unless he gives up his individuality in exchange for the most powerful augmentations. The omar elites therefore do not have individuality only the initiates do.
I think you misunderstood this. This had nothing to do with having power, he is a simply outsider (not fully Omar) to them because he didn't undergo the surgeries yet. He's saying that he's afraid because once he does that he will indeed lose a part of himself.

I also think he's actually in cahoots with Omar and not doing surgeries only because you will see his face and that's easier for Omar to manipulate you through him, but that's for another discussion.

Omar are not fully individuals
Which also means that they aren't fully hive mind either, at least not like Helios.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
You gave you freedom to satanic being, created by satanists.
I don't believe in Satan

If you recognise Helios as sort of god, then I don't understand.
I can clearly see there are being more powerful then simple mortals, yet you don't belive in God.
Probably you belive is satan then.

"I don't agree with you and everything that I don't agree with is the devil"

Pointless note.

Look the point is that Deus Ex's design team used the teachings of Voltaire and Tomas Aquinas as themes for the games progression.

My point it's satanism after all. Cybernetic augmentations change humanity in a worst way possible, and directly lead to creating gods - but there is only one, and the rest are just devils.
It's arecurring theme today, forced by many sources, and transhumanism as philosophy is closely tighed with satanismm wich is diluted in things like new edge.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
If you recognise Helios as sort of god, then I don't understand.
I can clearly see there are being more powerful then simple mortals, yet you don't belive in God.
Probably you belive is satan then.
Abrahamic God was created by man and similarly, digital God is created by man as well. None of them is an actual omnipotent deity, but both hold power over the minds of men.

Satan aka Lucifer was God's favourite angel and was cast down because he refused to obey the will of God and serve man. I see no similarities between Helios and Lucifer.

wait what the fuck happened to this thread

also L M A O @ you jokers for not knowing the "abrahamic god" and "digital god" are in fact both material manifestations of the demented demiurge keeping us in bondage within this false meat and that the only Truth and Goodness exist in the Metaphysical Divine to which we must return by transmuting ourselves into immaculate forms through the horror and beauty of the soft doctrine of secret revelation

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
So I just fired up GDMX v9.0.3

There's a problem with the binoculars, the view is 1/4th of what it should be:

dx.jpg

any ideas?

Ash ?

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom