Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Grim Dawn

Baron Dupek

Arcane
If you drop some more sheckles for FG expansion then you can buy stones-boosters for new characters to start from higher difficulty.

For AAR - ectoplasm is decent starter, then get crystal from Homestead to easy up energy consumption.

Self-Ejected

Shitty Kitty

Self-Ejected
AAR is more of a twink build rather than self-found, regardless of damage type.

I leveled 3 AAR to max level without much of a problem you just have to be mindful of the energy consumption and take Devastation along with it. CT and FF help a lot, too.
Honestly Callidor's is pretty bad as of Forgotten Gods (and taking the transmuter really doesn't help). Which sucks because I like the skill and sometimes the transmuter for a Battlemage-type build (the transmuter adding fire makes it potentially interesting for an Oathkeeper/Arcanist but it would sure be nice if it was, you know, better).

xuerebx

Erudite
Is there some strategy in relation to the constellations? I had 4 devotion points which I used on a particular star, but there are so many options I have no idea what to focus on.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
You want to find high end constellations that suit your build and collect smaller ones that provide the requisite points to unlock them.

Self-Ejected

Shitty Kitty

Self-Ejected
Is there some strategy in relation to the constellations? I had 4 devotion points which I used on a particular star, but there are so many options I have no idea what to focus on.
With constellation mapping it can help a LOT to plan in advance using GrimTools because for some builds you'll do a lot of racking up devo color to qualify for X constellation, then use whatever color it gives you to support it in part or in full and switch out the constellation you used for another more useful constellation. You just kind of keep mental track of what you buy and when, and when you refund it to free up devo points. As far as planning goes, focus on damage type and role - are you pet, melee 2H, melee SnB, dual melee, ranged 2h etc and fish for appropriate bonuses. Kraken is practically mandatory for 2H anything, and aside from Nadaan's Blades the other melee-damage focused constellations are unremarkable (Scepter and Berserker) due to poor color yield for points spent, though I think since Berserker adds flat bleed damage and multiple different sources of flat bleed will all pile on separate it might be worthwhile. Procs can be really nice but more procs than you can bind is never useful and the big-boy constellation procs are almost always leagues better (the exception might be Falcon, because Falcon's fucking NUTS when you do something like bind it to Blade Arc)

Self-Ejected

Shitty Kitty

Self-Ejected
Search the constellations for -enemy resist for the color you are using and gobble that shit up
This too, but keep in mind not all RR types stack.
nkmlaHA.png

This isn't completely up to date for the AoM and FG classes/items/constellations but any new RR option works the same way.

xuerebx

Erudite
I'm level 24 now (I switched from normal to veteran a few levels ago as it was becoming too easy - now it's actually quite challenging for a noob like me), starting to understand more the game mechanics, and I've went over again the tips provided in the last 2 pages. My next quest is to kill "Moneybags" Martin and Cronely, and I also stumbled on what I think is an unmarked side quest and managed to obtain the
Runestone of Dreeg, after killing the Guardian of Dreeg boss. This was especially hard - died around 15-20 times for sure. The poison damage kept pummeling me.

Which brings me to my question, since I am also coming across other enemies who spray acid/poison damage which are destroying me too fast - without cheating and going online to search for items, how do you build up a strategy to start focusing on bringing up a particular resistance? I *know* I need to bring up this resistance, but I don't think I should focus devotion points on this (plus I don't have available anyway), and good items are spawned by chance. Should I go back to Act 1 areas and fight star-marked bosses hoping to spawn some good items?

One other question - picking up on a particular tip:

b)Find ways to reduce enemy resistances, there are enemies that are really resistant on this game and as resistances can be negative, even enemies with low resistance, lowering their resistance even further is great, you can triple your damage by just removing them, keep an eye for constellations with debuffs for enemy resistances against the attacks you use, Rowan's Crown is a great constelation for a ice nightblade for example.

For my understanding - which effect from the list lowers said resistances? I wouldn't know it unless you told me.

Also, how do you find out an enemy's weakness or resistance in-game? Is there a visual element / icon or something I can use?

Thanks!

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Ideally you just upgrade all your resistances. It's not as hard to do that as it may seem in the beginning. If your masteries have some ability that increases a resistance type (pretty sure all of them do) then you can probably forego gear that improves that specific resistance and use the ability instead. Armor is also quite important. The game throws extremely powerful items at you like candy now, but if for some reason you've gone a long time without upgrading a certain item and you find yourself taking a lot of physical damage you may just want to replace it with something that has worse stats but better armor.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
If you're 100% new to the game and don't have any items in your stash then you're just learning that, somewhere along the way of "no one really asked for this" patch notes, poison damage got pretty retarded on normal+veteran, same as hp bloat and some other things. The way to go around this is stack up on early game blues and greens that also got unnecessarily buffed along the way. If you're naked then just kite, hit'n'run and not have fun, fun in gaming is an outdated concept. Devotions are a safe bet and they can be reassigned no problem.

Oh, I also don't think anyone told you that, but if you're completely green and feeling a bit lost then an absolutely basic advice is: do not dual class early game, it's a big noob trap that outside of some specific builds will make you weaker. In current version I'd also say it's a decent idea to start with a tanky class and use it to gather some shiny shit that will make your next characters smoother.

xuerebx

Erudite
Thanks guys for the replies.

should have been keeping gear that gives good resists on stash

....I sell gear which I don't use. School boy error I guess, but it is only now that I've seen the error of my ways.

Ideally you just upgrade all your resistances. It's not as hard to do that as it may seem in the beginning. If your masteries have some ability that increases a resistance type (pretty sure all of them do) then you can probably forego gear that improves that specific resistance and use the ability instead. Armor is also quite important. The game throws extremely powerful items at you like candy now, but if for some reason you've gone a long time without upgrading a certain item and you find yourself taking a lot of physical damage you may just want to replace it with something that has worse stats but better armor.

I always switch gear when I find more powerful gear. The only item I've bought was a sword, as I couldn't find a better sword in the wild.

If you're 100% new to the game and don't have any items in your stash then you're just learning that, somewhere along the way of "no one really asked for this" patch notes, poison damage got pretty retarded on normal+veteran, same as hp bloat and some other things. The way to go around this is stack up on early game blues and greens that also got unnecessarily buffed along the way. If you're naked then just kite, hit'n'run and not have fun, fun in gaming is an outdated concept. Devotions are a safe bet and they can be reassigned no problem.

Oh, I also don't think anyone told you that, but if you're completely green and feeling a bit lost then an absolutely basic advice is: do not dual class early game, it's a big noob trap that outside of some specific builds will make you weaker. In current version I'd also say it's a decent idea to start with a tanky class and use it to gather some shiny shit that will make your next characters smoother.

Well, I already dual classed...guess I'm a noob who fell for the trap :) To be honest, I'm using the arcanist's freeze spell and the fast attacks of my dual wielding nightblade and it helps out a lot. I think I found a "synergy", accidentally, which works really well.

Codex Year of the Donut
Which brings me to my question, since I am also coming across other enemies who spray acid/poison damage which are destroying me too fast - without cheating and going online to search for items, how do you build up a strategy to start focusing on bringing up a particular resistance?
The main issue with Grim Dawn is that it's balanced as if it's an online-only game with lots of trading, especially after all the patches. I'm not sure if they understood that the game is mostly played offline and there are no persistent servers.

xuerebx

Erudite
I don't play online, ever. I'd be a terrible online player - playing for 30 mins at a time and then logging off :D Damn responsibilities!

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
T
Well, I already dual classed...guess I'm a noob who fell for the trap :) To be honest, I'm using the arcanist's freeze spell and the fast attacks of my dual wielding nightblade and it helps out a lot. I think I found a "synergy", accidentally, which works really well.
Well, being nb/arc is OK. Flash freeze + the aura that Lacrymas mentioned is great for clearing early game. You'll definitely have problems with survivability without gear, though.

xuerebx

Erudite
Understood. I can only get good gear through getting lucky with boss item spawns, right?

Baron Dupek

Arcane
For my understanding - which effect from the list lowers said resistances? I wouldn't know it unless you told me.
Also, how do you find out an enemy's weakness or resistance in-game? Is there a visual element / icon or something I can use?
Thanks!

From Elemental Storm assigned to your attack skill.
12 Reduced target's Elemental Resistances for 2 Seconds
Not much if you have slow attacks but it's still something.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Understood. I can only get good gear through getting lucky with boss item spawns, right?
I'm not an expert on drop rates, best farming spots etc. Best bet to check the dedicated gd webz. But let me tell you that by just playing the game with pretty much no farming I had full stash plus several mules worth of blues/greens/purples before getting bored. Of course it takes time to get going, so if you're on your first char then either just persevere or farm away.

DeepOcean

Arcane

Thanks!
Reduced Target's Elemental resistance, notice that it is a flat number and it doest have a plus or minus sign before it, this debuff will remove 30% of the target resistance no matter what it is, if the enemy has zero, it will have -30%. When this happens, it means this debuff dont stack with other similar debuffs, you can only have a single Reduced Target's Elemental resistance active per enemy, however, if you see a - 10 fire resistance, any debuff with a minus before it are stackable so you can have multiple abilities stacking debuffs. However stackable debuffs take in consideration enemy resistance, so, if the target has 50% fire resistance, if you have a -50% fire resistance debuff, his resistance will drop to 25%, stackable debuffs cant go negative.

On this case, Rowan's Crown will create a whirlpool on the ground when you assign it to an active ability and use it to attack enemies, the whirlpools apply the debuff constantly. Also, Nightblade, if you are using ice, Icechill aura is your greatest friend.

About resistances, I have good news and bad news, the good news is that you can craft a ton of special components that you can add on your armor, seek the blacksmith on Devil's Crossing, if you rescued him, he should be inside the ruins, he has some basic recipes that are useful. You can craft a ton of useful stuff with him. About armor, pay attention to the armor that drops and seek armor that give life and some resistances then complement them with the components you can craft. Totems are great to farm recipes for crafting. The bad news is that there isnt much more to it on the begining.

About farming bosses, on normal, it is not profitable to do it so dont waste time with that, legendaries only start to drop by level 50 so you only start farming them on end game.

My tips for constellations is, try to increase your damage as much as you can on normal then respec and rethink your strategy later, respecing constellations points is cheap as you only need those green crystals that are pratically infinite, the Kraken for example is great for characters using two handers, The magi has a really powerful Volcano that can spawn on hit and is great for elemental/fire builds, the Leviathan is really good for ice builds, you can have at maximum 55 devotion points and all those constellations have prerequisites, so have that in mind when you go shopping. Pay attention to the effects of all special abilities those constellations provide, quite a few have powerful effects and yes, you can trigger multiple effects at the same time, really buffing your damage.

Also, about resistance, later, study what each faction vendor sells and try to reach maximum reputation with them before starting a new character, each one sells components that you can add to your weapons and armor and make your resistances even better but you should only care about that on Elite.

Last edited:

xuerebx

Erudite
Thanks a lot man, appreciate it! The explanation on the flat% decrease vs. a proportionate % decrease I'd never have figured it out.

With the new information in mind, I think I should manage to keep on progressing. Cheers! :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom