Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Darkness Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines 2 from Hardsuit Labs

Wesp5

Arcane

Nephilim

Educated
Paradox purchased White Wolf in 2015, and since then, they have released nothing from that IP.

Huh? Maybe they didn't appear as publisher themselves, but we got Vampire: The Masquerade – Coteries of New York, Vampire: The Masquerade – Shadows of New York, Vampire: The Masquerade – Night Road and Werewolf: The Apocalypse – Earthblood.
Most of the garbage they've published so far are visual novels. I don't understand why these are classified as video games and quite frankly I am puzzled as to why these projects got greenlighted in the first place.
There is no quality control whatsoever.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Most of the garbage they've published so far are visual novels. I don't understand why these are classified as video games

They're interactive computer software. :M

and quite frankly I am puzzled as to why these projects got greenlighted in the first place.

Cheap to make, decent return on investment.

Also true, though the New York Vampire VNs have a nice art style at least.

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Imagine playing a visual novel when you could just watch another episode of the Rockford Files. You don't need a lot of technology to experience stuff that's above-average content.

jungl

Augur

Every single one is passable. Earthblood is not even worth pirating that game is the biggest example of cash grab/take paycheck and move on game I have ever played. Extremely stupid gameplay design elements like sniffing plants to get xp. Paradox should of never bought the IP if they have no in house development studios that can make a decent game out of it. In the 5 years they owned the IP someone could of made a free WoD themed flash game that is a hour long in content on a website like newgrounds that is more entertainment then anything produced in those 5 years.

Xelocix

Learned
Paradox purchased White Wolf in 2015, and since then, they have released nothing from that IP.

Huh? Maybe they didn't appear as publisher themselves, but we got Vampire: The Masquerade – Coteries of New York, Vampire: The Masquerade – Shadows of New York, Vampire: The Masquerade – Night Road and Werewolf: The Apocalypse – Earthblood.
Most of the garbage they've published so far are visual novels. I don't understand why these are classified as video games and quite frankly I am puzzled as to why these projects got greenlighted in the first place.

They get greenlit because VN's are cheap to produce and usually sell pretty well, especially in cases like VTM where the fandom has been starved for content for so long that they'll purchase virtually anything with the WoD label on it. It's not hard to understand when you think about it.

Flying Dutchman

Learned
Wasn't the game almost finished? Why stop suddenly at the finish line?

I think Hardsuit might have thought and prayed (?) it was finished, but no one else did. The narrative of "oh, we're just making sure it works on next gen consoles" and "oh, COVID is fully to blame" didn't really hold water. If anything, Hardsuit might be better served to do console ports than actual content.

On the evaluation front, I was surprised because I thought the Ubisoft hatchet man was actually hired by Hardsuit as a full-time employee, but LinkedIn suggests otherwise (he only lists his consulting company, I think).

The fact he might have been brought in as an independent evaluator is even more of a loss-of-faith in Hardsuit, and maybe Paradox as well (maybe they realized they couldn't evaluate the game properly beyond recognizing something was wrong that needed a 3rd person viewpoint).

Hope Paradox paid him well, and we might owe him a debt of thanks for helping to cancel it or move it to another developer (we'll see how that pans out). Maybe he has an OnlyFans we can donate to.

Flying Dutchman

Learned
I like the setting and I uninstalled it after 30 minutes. It's rare that I ever find a game to be a total piece of shit - but Earthblood is.

Best review. 1 sentence, gets to the point, and the 30 minutes qualifier reminds people that the product falls well within the Steam return policy.

Lambach

Arcane
3/4 main writers have pronouns in their bios, this Jordan guy being the sole exception.

Boy, I really wonder what the overall tone and themes of the game were going to be prior to them getting the axe. I guess it's a mystery we will never unravel.

:dgaider:

Vatnik Wumao
From the top rated Steam review:
While the story is coherently written, it reads like a short young adult novel directed at rebellious preteen girls. There is no character creation or choice whatsoever, so you're saddled with the unlikeable Maia—a selfish, rude American girl with an anger problem. As for the other characters/allies, they aren't much more interesting. I consider myself very liberal and open-minded and these poorly-written, hollow characters made me eyeroll and facepalm quite a few times. There's the literal man-hating lesbian from an all-female feminist werewolf tribe, a cowardly male from a pacifist tribe, and a cross-dressing straight man who is only characterized by the LGBTQA+ pins and patches on his jacket and the fact that he looks like "a heroin-addicted rockman". This is nothing like the Werewolf: The Apocalypse RPG I played a decade ago.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom