Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
I've never stayed awake for longer than 2 days and nights, so I don't know what happens after that

You hit a zone where you can function for a couple of days as long as you keep moving but attempting any activity that requires sitting still or mental acuity (like taking a test) is not a good idea unless your prof likes tests containing nothing but drool. Back then there were no take backs either.

Do not do this.

Last edited:

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I've never stayed awake for longer than 2 days and nights, so I don't know what happens after that

You hit a zone where you can function for a couple of days as long as you keep moving but attempting any activity that requires sitting still or mental acuity (like taking a test) is not a good idea unless your prof likes tests containing nothing but drool. Back then there were no take backs either.

Do not do this.

I used to stay awake for a couple of days and nights now and then when I was a young man, but it's almost impossible to do in one's late 50s without a huge penalty, and I should think it's very bad for you. Last time I tried it a few months ago, it completely screwed with my circadian whatsis, and it took me several days/nights to get back to feeling normal. Brrr, not doing that again if I can help it.

Is the writing in this game as terrible as the one in the D:OS games? I really enjoy Larian's combat system and I am interested in playing this game, but the agressibly uninteresting dialogue is something that keeps me from replaying them, D:OS 2 made some improvements in this department, but it was so inconsistent that by the end of the playthrough i just felt pissed.

Larianshill

Arbiter
I'd say the writing is considerably better than DOS2, although I do miss the humor. There are a few iffy things, but they seem to be fixing them - like for example, in patch 4, the druid who tries to murder you for your own good has become a lot more reasonable.

c1Lw72M.png

Makes me wonder.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
I think you should get penalties for staying awake - slight loss of dexterity/co-ordination and perception, and eventually you start mildly hallucinating if you've stayed awake over 2 days and nights, which lowers perception and dexterity even more. (I've never stayed awake for longer than 2 days and nights, so I don't know what happens after that, I should imagine the degradation accelerates.)
Faery Tale Adventure prevented the player-character from walking straight if enough time was spent without sleep, and it also included a day/night cycle with realistic darkness, but that was a game made in 1986 by a single person in seven months on a new computer system, and we can't possibly expect Larian to implement a day/night cycle or tiredness penalties in a AAA game made in the 2020s. :M

kjzBMpr.jpg

Faery Tale Adventure also penalized the player for going too long without eating:

GcJPCQp.jpg

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
Can we take a moment and give Larian some praise for admitting this dialogue style is retarded and retooling the whole thing, going as far as scrapping hours of narration? I think they deserve some credit for facing the criticism and admitting the fuck-up.
Praising larian for doing the bare minimum. Praising larian for doing what's standard in the industry. Praising larian for making a ridiculously stupid decision then realizing it was a ridiculously stupid decision. Larian fans are easy to impress and have low standards. Should we give credit to every single developer out there who has never done anything as stupid as that dialogue? Or just the ones that tried it and had everyone tell them how stupid they are?

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
User I saw that picture a gazillion times over thirty years before realizing those Hobbits were stealing the eye. Talk about hiding in plain sight!

I think you should get penalties for staying awake - slight loss of dexterity/co-ordination and perception, and eventually you start mildly hallucinating if you've stayed awake over 2 days and nights, which lowers perception and dexterity even more. (I've never stayed awake for longer than 2 days and nights, so I don't know what happens after that, I should imagine the degradation accelerates.)
At 36-48 hours, you will suffer the first (usually auditory) pseudohallucinations as well as microsleeps, but as time goes on dreamlike visions will appear, and you will feel unnaturally stimulated. The visions will grow more intense and persistent and become accompanied with delusions over time, and it you will find it more difficult to both stay awake and fall asleep simultaneously. You will eventually progress to a complete break from reality. The precise timeline depends on your constitution and method used for remaining awake (e.g. taking stimulants will accelerate the process).

Insomnia is tied to a myriad of disorders, including chronic psychosis and heart disease, so I wouldn't recommend trying it for yourself. Some people never fully recover from extended insomnia.

Last edited:

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
You need to stop worrying and learn to love Swen.
You're a one trick Pony where your one trick isn't even good.
Hello pot, meet kettle.
You're looking at a prestigious poster. Other than my extensive comment history in the shout box, and my participation in threads such as Pathfinder kingmaker, solasta, black geyser, and realms beyond, I've also actually made threads that led to great discussions including "there's nothing more immersive than music", "rune factory 5" and "Josh Sawyer appreciation station." This guy's name is larian shill and all he does is talk about larian in this single thread. Please don't compare us

Testownia

I don't know whether this is old news or not, but apparently datamined dialogue suggests that Jaheira is Halsin's wife, and Isobel is their child.

So there you have it - another romance, next to Viconia, which can be crossed out as being non-canon. Just Neera and Aerie left.

Bara

Arcane
I don't know whether this is old news or not, but apparently datamined dialogue suggests that Jaheira is Halsin's wife, and Isobel is their child.

So there you have it - another romance, next to Viconia, which can be crossed out as being non-canon. Just Neera and Aerie left.

Well I mean she still could have been with the bhaalspawn until he died. It already happened once with Khalid what makes the PC any more special than him and have her hang on to a memory.

Face it folks your all just Khalid 2.0.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom