Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

https://www.psu.com/news/bandai-nam...e-see-new-elden-ring-and-tales-of-arise-news/

Recently spotted while the application was in December, Bandai Namco filed the name "Bandai Namco Next" in the entertainment events category, which could suggest that the Japanese publisher is preparing a Nintendo-style presentation. Direct or a State of Play.

On the website of the World Intellectual Property Organization, we can read that Bandai Namco filed on December 29 the name of "BANDAI NAMCO NEXT" in the category of events related to entertainment, suggesting that it could be a conference to present its games. Obviously, given the news, one could imagine that the Elden Ring trailer that would have leaked was intended for this event, but also that it would be a good opportunity for the publisher to give news of the event. other major titles like Tales of Arise or Scarlet Nexus. However, let us remember that in the absence of official confirmation, these are only assumptions and that the nature of this "BANDAI NAMCO NEXT" remains to be defined by the publisher.

Last edited:

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
The narrator not having a crazy lunatic voice makes me suspect this has nothing to do with FS, but everything else has FS written all over it. Here there's a compilation of all the leaked clips so far:

It's p. funny that after 259 blank daily updates the Elden Ring News channel actually served his purpose.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
tenor.gif

So... Where is my poison swamp?

ADL

Prophet
Is it just me or does that sound like Peter Dinklage? Wouldn't surprise me if this is when From Soft goes "Hollywood" with GRRM attached.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Sony asks Fromsoft to make a Skyrim-like RPG. Some guy at Fromsoft tries to do the job, but fails, gets replaced with Miyazaki who salvages the project. Demon's Souls releases, Sony shitcans Fromsoft for making some shitty hardcore game that no one wanted to play. Fromsoft goes to Bamco because Miyazaki still has some ideas berserk references he wanted to put into another dark fantasy rpg.

Dark Souls releases and it is an unexpected hit, fans beg for a PC port. Bamco asks Fromsoft to sign a trilogy contract. Miyazaki is out of berserk references, but he signs he paper anyway because of dem money, and then asks one of his underlings to do some quick cashgrab hackjob. The guy does his damndest, but fails because of the cross-generational development, gets promptly fired, gets replaced with Yui Tanimura who salvages the project and then proceeds to fix it with three exceptional DLCs and a later re-release. In the end Dark Souls 2 turns to be the most flawed, but at the same time the most mechanically-rich of Souls games.

Meanwhile Miyazaki uses his newly acquired clout to sign a contract with Sony and make a triple-A PS4 launch title. The fame goes into his head, so he ditches half of the RPG elements, replaces the simple but functional combat system with some flashy DMC bullcrap, and completely forgets to write an actual story. "I mean who gives a shit about story, Vaati will do it for us anyway lol." Bloodborne sells gangbusters and becomes a cult classic.

2015. The Witcher 3 releases and smashes every record. Miyazaki realizes that this is the future of gaming - a shoddy storyfag slasher with a pointless open world. He wants to make a game like that, but there's a few problems - they have to money, and they are contractually obliged to finish Dark Souls trilogy. Since DaS2 got criticized by players for having an elevator that goes from the windmill into a lava castle, Miyazaki decides to direct the game himself, but does as little as possible. Everything DaS2 achieved was thrown into the gutter, and DaS3 ends up being a lazy Bloodborne asset flip with gutted RPG elements, gutted combat system, gutted nonlinearity, and even more nonsensical story. Despite that, fans gobble it up and ask for more.

In order to get more money, Fromsoft sign a contract with Bobby Kotick. Knowing that his fans will gobble up whatever he throws at them as long as it's hard, Miyazaki completely ditches RPG elements, multiplayer, build variety, and pretty much everything Souls series was known for, and releases Sekiro - a run on the mill third person platformer with rhythmical cookie clicker combat where average boss kills you in two hits. The game sells 5M copies, so now the game of his dreams - The Witcher 3 clone - is finally here. Thirsty Bamco beg Miyazaki to sign a contract.

"Ok, what should we put into our game so it would become The Witcher 3? Story? We never knew how to write a story... Witcher retards loved the game for edgy quests where people died, eh let's hire that fat guy who wrote a game of thrones. Medieval - check, dark and edgy - check, characters were dying left and right - check. He'll do a fine work for us. Ok, then what? Horse riding? Well we already have horse animations from Sekiro boss. Open world? Eh, let's make a huge empty map and fill it with titanite nodes and bandit outposts, witcher 3 sold great so why try reinventing the wheel. Magic abilities and loads of equipment? Well shucks, it's been a while since we were making proper RPGs, eh let's just flip some assets from our previous games, whatever. Oh shit, coronavirus rekt our development cycle, we can't capture animations anymore! Whatever, let's copy Dark Souls animations. Let's copy everything, they'll gobble it up"

:slamdunk:

Last edited:

Grimlorn

Arcane
I was expecting something different than another Dark Souls clone. They've been developing this for 4 years now,. They were churning out Dark souls sequels every 2 years. Why take 4+ years, probably 5 years total, to create another game with the same combat system and same magic system? Has GRRM still not finished writing the story?

Wunderbar

Arcane
Jokes aside, this is probably an old internal footage made for investors, similar to the old Project Beast trailer.

This one had a lot of Dark Souls assets too.

Gearmos

Educated
In an interview during E3 2019, Miyazaki described Elden Ring as a
third-person action RPG with both a fantasy setting and Dark Souls’ design sensibilities. Unlike that series, which features environments that are dense and interconnected, Elden Ring’s open world will be “more open and vast.”

To sum up: Fantasy + Dark Souls + open world. I can understand that some of you were expecting a different kind of game, but what we see in the trailer is exactly what Miyazaki said he would make.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Sony asks Fromsoft to make a Skyrim-like RPG.
Although this was an amusing post in general, you began by claiming the Souls series was initiated with a request to create a Skyrim-like, even though Skyrim released one month after Dark Souls (October 2011) and another two years after Demon's Souls (October 2009). You might as well state that Sony wanted From Software to develop an Oblivion-like. :rpgcodex:

Wunderbar

Arcane
Sony asks Fromsoft to make a Skyrim-like RPG.
Although this was an amusing post in general, you began by claiming the Souls series was initiated with a request to create a Skyrim-like, even though Skyrim released one month after Dark Souls (October 2011) and another two years after Demon's Souls (October 2009). You might as well state that Sony wanted From Software to develop an Oblivion-like. :rpgcodex:
yeah it was Oblivion actually. It's not a joke, Sony wanted their Oblivion.

Last edited:

Black Angel

Arcane
Can it really be since Sekiro was one of their best games ?
I just can't comprehend how come there's this many people, Codexers while at it, disagrees with this notion. Do you people really love fashion-Souls, multiplayer, static and repetitive combat where it all boils down to either shield-turtling or roll-dodgefest with only occasionally poking your attacks/magic/miracles/pyromancy once or twice? Despite the fact that Sekiro marked significant gameplay mechanical advancement for Fromsoft? And before you turn around and saying it's Sekiro is the repetitive one, it's fucking not.

Implying there's such thing as "too much like Dark Souls".
If by this you mean all the good stuff of Dark Souls 1, like logically interconnected level-to-world design, overall well designed and intricate dungeons, complete with proper loot placement, traps, and encounter designs, together with some of the best narrative in gaming (not to mention the narrative aspect weren't some half-assed, Chosen One bullshit sloppily slapped into the background, but instead eloquently interwoven into the gameplay), and maybe the multiplayer functionality (which was heavily involved with the narrative, too), then yeah, there's no such thing as too much Dark Souls.

But if what you mean by that is rolling-rolling-rolling, then nah that's just too much. Let's be honest here, Dark Souls RPG mechanics aren't some of the best out there. This is my bias, but I personally didn't come to Dark Souls for its RPG and has since preferred its action gameplay aspect.
Dark Souls 2 turned me off because it took too much from the action gameplay to let me do things my way, and while like I said I do have my bias I still think the implementation of its RPG mechanics was rather convoluted, especially in regards to the action gameplay.
But that doesn't mean I want to ditch the RPG mechanics altogether, which is why I just don't feel like it's fun to play Dark Souls 3, most especially with its convoluted implementation of Poise, which was one of the many reasons why tanks and shield-builds are left in the dirt.
One way to implement proper Action-RPG gameplay mechanics is by doing it like Gothic; it has kinda rhythmic gameplay feels to it, of which at first your character suck at it and it translate to players having a bit of a hard time catching up with the game's flow and pacing, but investing into the character's skill results in better and smoother gameplay for the players. I know Dark Souls 2 tried this with Adaptability/Agility mechanics but I still think their implementation were rather wonky.

Wait, I just re-read your post and turns out you mean "too much like Dark Souls", in which case yeah there IS too much like Dark Souls. If I want to play Dark Souls, I'll play fucking Dark Souls. I won't go to Lords of the Fallen, or The Surge, or Nioh for fucking Dark Souls. Those games might have their own thing to distinguish itself, but again, if I want to play Dark Souls, I WILL fucking play Dark Souls.

Hope there's something we're missing like the trick weapons or combat arts because the windup for those attacks look pretty damn slow. The rolls are slow looking too. Pretty hard to get excited for this after playing stuff like The Surge 2, Nioh, Sekiro and Bloodborne.
No, that's exactly how it should be. Dark Souls 3 going Bloodborne was one of the worst decisions FROM ever made.
I don't necessarily disagree with you, but going back to Dark Souls 2 (if that's what you mean for attacks windup and rolls being pretty slow is how it should be) is just a no-no, IMO. I'd rather they go back to general speed of Dark Souls 1 (or hell, Demon's Souls maybe?) and then improve it from there. Make equipment load matters a WHOLE lot more. Impose real penalty for wearing heavy armors, wielding bigass weapons, and carrying large shields. Allows lightly armored characters more fluid and faster movements at the cost of being as frail as papers.

In the end, I won't even look at the leaks, whatever they are. I just hope Fromsoft would actually deliver on their initial promise; taking all the things they've learned with Sekiro, and this time putting an emphasize on RPG gameplay mechanics. Being able to explore a Dark Souls 1 world designed with Sekiro's mechanics in mind would've let me achieve heaven, I'd say.

Sentinel

Arcane
I was expecting something different than another Dark Souls clone. They've been developing this for 4 years now,. They were churning out Dark souls sequels every 2 years. Why take 4+ years, probably 5 years total, to create another game with the same combat system and same magic system? Has GRRM still not finished writing the story?
GRRM isn't writing the story.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
They won't abandon a working, proven formula. Why change it? Better than Ass Creed anyway.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom