Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Solasta Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Sorry for interrupting your conversation, but all that talk about paladins being better than fighter (and how fighters subclasses suck)awoken feeling in me that I cannot contain any longer...

* takes deep sigh*
It's would be better if Paladin remained a subclass to fighter!

It's doesn't make a sense for a title "warrior of God" being granted 1 level noob that can't hit shit. Instead Paladin should be a subclass locked behind several levels of fighter (having prerequisites or not - debatable), because it's absolutely logical for God/Gods to choose a skilled and experienced warrior to grant their powers. Not to mention that Paladin does NOT feels unique enough to be more than "religious fighter with more spells with MAD requrements". This is problem of tabletop version of D&D/Pathfinder, not Solasta's, but lately every time when Paladin mentioned - I have desire to say this.

In 5th edition Paladins don't even need to follow a god, iirc. They just need to have some kind of ideal to uphold and that's enough to grant them Paladin powers.

I don't disagree with you and Lacrymas, however. The expansive class and Feats in general (used to be class baseline abilities) seem to exist just to sell more supplementary books.

Ysaye

Arbiter
And how the heck do you expect wizards making $ out of it?

DND 6th edition? With Limited edition subclass cards?

I agree with the idea of condensing the classes down again with subclasses, but it is not going to happen because everyone should be a Ubermensch of Equality from Level 1, regardless of what class they pick.

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
Paladin is a better subclass for Cleric
Clerics have no problems with being good at fighting and divine spellcasting (although for Pathfinder there a different story), while fighters obviously lack divine spellcasting and so addition of Paladin as subclass would add more deserved versatility to the class. Fighter meant to be versatile.
Barbarian and Monk as Fighter subclasses
While I agree on Barbarian, Monk should be added to Cleric as alternative to armored caster, perhaps going so far as to make Monk spellcaster instead of martial, while people who desire to play as unarmed combatant should receive specially designed for this purpose subclass (it could be called Brawler) to Fighter. Probably I am going too far, but I think the whole Monk concept as from hollywood kun fu movies has no place in fantasy world, full of dragons/ghosts and other shit that can't be punched.
Ranger and Bard as Rogue
I agree.
Sorcerer as Wizard.
I think the whole concept of a Sorcerer could be done in more unique way than "spontaneous wizard guys with CHAR as casting stat" so I don't think how to feel about this.

In 5th edition Paladins don't even need to follow a god, iirc. They just need to have some kind of ideal to uphold and that's enough to grant them Paladin powers.
This is also thing that baffles me, but it's completely different story. Although if paladins followed deity - it would solve for WoTC all financial problems which make Thonius so worried, because in this case holy books for every god in pagan pantheon could bring serious $$$.
I mean IRL religions do that all the time and business is booming.

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
My justification for Paladin as a Cleric subclass is because it would require the least amount of changes to the base class. Same with Monk as a Fighter subclass, which together with Barbarian would bring much needed versatility. Clerics aren't actually that good at melee fighting, they need to multiclass for that, especially compared to Paladin which is a straight-up better Cleric with a few exceptions like spell levels. Clerics feel limited, especially with Solasta's bizarre subclass options.

Codex Year of the Donut
Paladins make zero sense as a cleric subclass because paladins -- as designed -- aren't required to worship a deity. Refer to the Complete Paladin's Handbook(specifically, the chapter on religion) for more information on this. The relationship between a deity and a paladin is closer to the inverse of the relationship between a cleric and a deity, but not necessarily so.
They're a specific kind of fighter. The benefits provided by being a paladin were offset by having to adhere to a strict ethos, along with wealth and magical item limits.

Lacrymas

Arcane
That doesn't matter, what is important is how much a base class needs to be changed in order to incorporate the sublass' peculiarities, and Cleric is definitely closer than having to implement a complete spell list and all the Paladin features to the Fighter.

Codex Year of the Donut
That doesn't matter, what is important is how much a base class needs to be changed in order to make it a subclass of that class, and Cleric is definitely closer than having to implement a complete spell list and all the Paladin features to the Fighter.
what, you mean like eldritch knight?

Lacrymas

Arcane
Eldritch Knights get a very select few spells and don't gain features like Lay on Hands and Smite. For the Paladin to be a Fighter subclass, they have to lose Action Surge and Second Wind too.

Codex Year of the Donut
Eldritch Knight gets a very select few spells and don't gain features like Lay on Hands and Smite. For the Paladin to be a Fighter subclass, they have to lose Action Surge and Second Wind too.
They don't have to lose anything, you're still not understanding the original design intent of the paladin.

The 5e paladin is fundamentally broken and dumb because it was made by people who don't understand what a paladin is

Lacrymas

Arcane
Paladins would get all of Lay on Hands, Smite, Action Surge, and Second Wind? I don't think so, that's bad design. I'd argue they don't understand their whole system and are only blindly servile to tradition, especially concerning classes.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Paladins would get all of Lay on Hands, Smite, Action Surge, and Second Wind? I don't think so, that's bad design. I'd argue they don't understand their whole system and are only blindly servile to tradition.
You realize there's a lot more to RPGs than combat, right?
Rusty getting everyday more and more based, now he also shills for Disco Elysium. Who would have thought?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Paladins would get all of Lay on Hands, Smite, Action Surge, and Second Wind? I don't think so, that's bad design. I'd argue they don't understand their whole system and are only blindly servile to tradition.
You realize there's a lot more to RPGs than combat, right?
Rusty getting everyday more and more based, now he also shills for Disco Elysium. Who would have thought?
IT sounds like you are becoming an enemy of the state,my italian friend. Are you ?
:fight:

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Personally I've always advocated breaking the Paladin down a bit. The base should be a generic holy champion of a deity, the martial arm of the church or the God that is responsible for enforcement/safeguarding etc.

That base holy champion would get the basic abilities, low level divine spellcasting, high bab etc.

The more nuanced abilities should be specific to alignment and probably deity. LG champions would be called Paladins and get the usual LoH and Smite Evil etc.

Paizo is doing something similar with PF2e, but they pussied out of making it for all alignments and instead locked it to only good. They did however give each good alignment a different class name, flavour and ability set.

Lacrymas

Arcane
In my setting, Paladins are sworn celibate guards of the churches, regardless of the character's alignment.

Codex Year of the Donut
But there is also combat inside.
They get their benefits in addition to everything a fighter has because being a paladin is hard. In addition to meeting very demanding ability score requirements(which include a hefty 17 CHA & 13 WIS), there also was:

AD&D paladins may only own one suit of magical armor, one magical shield, 4 magical weapons, and any 4 magical items of any other category.
All excess funds must be forfeited. Any excess rewards must be returned.
A paladin may only borrow money that is required for living expenses.
A paladin must tithe.
A paladin may not group with an evil PC or NPC, with additional restrictions on neutrals I don't remember.
A paladin must follow their ethos at all times. Even during combat. This can cause all sorts of issues like upsetting delicate political balances, something your character must do or else they become a regular fighter.

5e paladin is basically just a cleric/warrior hybrid joke.
Classes used to be designed with the entire game in mind rather than just combat.

Elex

Arbiter
If someone think that ranger is better than fighter in 5e combat they should delete their post.
5e is all about action economy, action surge is the best non spell ability in the entire game, action surge is not “two extra attack” action surge is an extra action, and recharge in a short rest (that mean is extremely good).

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
If someone think that ranger is better than fighter in 5e combat they should delete their post.
5e is all about action economy, action surge is the best non spell ability in the entire game, action surge is not “two extra attack” action surge is an extra action, and recharge in a short rest (that mean is extremely good).

Who knew that taking a double turn, in a system that is balanced around battles ending in three turns, is insanely OP.
Multiclassing fighter for action surge is one of the few valid multiclasses that exist in 5e.
Not that Solasta has multiclassing...

rojay

Scholar
Classes used to be designed with the entire game in mind rather than just combat.

I tend to ignore everything you post, Rusty, but that's true.

It's not actually relevant to a discussion of computer role playing games, because of the limitations inherent in the "computer" part of the phrase, but the paladin class was designed to be rare and hard to play at the table.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Except that's exactly what it is in Solasta, so thanks for the useless take. Two Fireballs per round if you're a Spellblade but then you'll need a LR to do that again.

Edit: Scratch that, apparently Spellblade only gets Fireball at level 13, which means that in Solasta it's not happening. Fighter currently just is really useless I guess.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
:yeah:

You were many to ask for it, so we decided to make it a reality! The Dungeon Maker is making its way to Solasta and will be available in its beta state when the game launches later this year. Make your very own dungeons filled with monsters and treasures to play and share with your friends!

Solasta: Crown of the Magister is a Turn-Based Tactical RPG based on the SRD 5.1 ruleset. Wizards of the Coast has granted Tactical Adventures a license to use the Dungeons & Dragons SRD 5.1 content and rules in Solasta: Crown of the Magister.

Timestamps:
00:00 Introduction
00:28 What is the Dungeon Maker?
00:53 Making your Dungeon
02:04 Filling up your Dungeon
03:05 Decorating your Dungeon
03:43 What to Expect from the Dungeon Maker
04:25 Outro (and bloopers :D)

Special thanks to M.S. (Discord) for creating and sending us a dungeon using the tool!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tacticaladventures/solasta-crown-of-the-magister/posts/3115901

Dungeon Maker Showcase - Create your own Dungeons in Solasta!

Hey there folks,

You wanted it, we wanted it - modding tools to create your very own adventures in Solasta. We didn't make any promises back during our Kickstarter as we weren't sure we'd be able to make it before launch... But today we're happy to announce the Dungeon Maker - a map editor that will be accessible in-game to each and everyone of you! And we're not just making promises with a few screenshots here - here's a full video to show you what the Dungeon Maker is, and how it works!

Will the Dungeon Maker be fully complete when Solasta 1.0 launches?
No, the Dungeon Maker will be in a beta state for quite some time - even after the 1.0 launch of Solasta. In order to have a playable version of the Dungeon Maker and avoid putting the main game at risk, we've decided to start small and add features as we go (rather than being too ambitious from the start).

What are the current features of the Dungeon Maker?
  • Freely create dungeon layouts using a selection of preset rooms
  • Link multiple maps together to create larger dungeons
  • One environment available for now, the Necropolis, with its set of environmental props to decorate your dungeon
  • Almost all monsters and items from Solasta: Crown of the Magister main campaign to create your encounters and loot
  • A selection of traps (just a few for now) to punish greedy adventurers
  • Easy to share online, it's a simple .json file in a folder. We plan to add Steam Workshop later on so it becomes even easier to share.
What are the future features planned for the Dungeon Maker?
Provided we see people using the Dungeon Maker, we plan to add a Quest system, Merchants and other environments. After that... time will tell!

Can I import my own monsters / items in the Dungeon Maker?
No, at least not using the official Dungeon Maker tool on its own. That being said, it might become possible through the use of other community-created mods, as some have already started to create new classes and archetypes - so new items / monsters may not be an impossibility in the long run!

Where can I share my creation / download other people's Dungeon Maker maps?
While Solasta will eventually be on Steam Workshop later, in the meantime you could always take a look at Nexusmod - where you can already find mods from community members adding new feats, archetypes and other creative ideas! Note that we (Tactical Adventures) do not guarantee anything when it comes to user created mods - some may not work at all.

When will the Dungeon Maker be available?
Soon! That's all we can tell you for now :D

A little glimpse at the Adventure Book
Many of you Kickstarter Backers have been asking about the progress of our physical goods. We're happy to announce that we've finished working on the digital version of the Adventure Book - a short adventure included in the Adventure Box - and will be moving onto completing the Adventure Box next, before starting the layout of the main Solasta Setting Sourcebook (which currently sports a meaty 180 pages!)

6e724b81fc58ad6bcf6046183d773f9b_original.PNG

This short adventure will take your party from level 1 to level 4 by diving deep into the Ruins of Carillach Gar!
2d9904979c2692e1cc7b1bb32dfacfc6_original.PNG

The Adventure Book should contain everything to help new DMs run their adventure without additional material

Alright folks, this is the end for today! Thank you for reading, and don't hesitate to drop by our Forums or our Discord Server.

Read our previous articles here:
Article by Tactical Myzzrym

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom