Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Aliens: Fireteam Elite - co-op third person shooter from Cold Iron Studios

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Chris L'Etoile, writer who worked on Mass Effect and The Outer Worlds...

giphy.gif

Baron Dupek

Arcane
I want something like AvP from 2000s. That game was quite scary and tense.
we all know that never gonna happen
if can only get worse after AvP 2010 and Alien CM
fear and tension is something that modern devs can't do
not to mention action in FPS that must be designed for consoles with awful FOV turning game into a slog with quicksand everywhere that makes running painful

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Uh-oh: https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...edly-planning-sale-of-gaming-division-foxnext

Cold Iron Studios is a sub-division of FoxNext.

Disney reportedly planning sale of gaming division FoxNext
Marvel Strike Force studio headed out as Disney CEO Robert Iger expresses desire to exit games entirely

Disney is reportedly planning the sale of its game-focused business FoxNext, reinforcing its aim to exit game development and publishing entirely.

Bloomberg reports that Disney is currently planning the sale of the studio with the decision driven by CEO Robert Iger. Though executives such as direct-to-consumer chief Kevin Mayer have expressed interest in retaining the arm, Iger wants to leave the business of making games behind.

FoxNext was created as an arm of 21st Century Fox in 2017, and was then primarily responsible for VR, AR, and location-based entertainment. The studio was acquired last year by Disney as a part of a larger acquisition of assets from Fox, and its free-to-play mobile game Marvel Strike Force grossed $150 million in revenue as of its first anniversary in March of last year.

The possible sale of FoxNext is consistent with Disney's past attitude toward the games business, with the company shuttering Disney Infinity and its studio, Avalanche, back in 2016 as part of a move to exit games publishing. It has since preferred to license its properties out, though the games developed by FoxNext were one of its few remaining holdouts.

And for some reason Chris L'Etoile nuked his Twitter and LinkedIn accounts...

Wunderbar

Arcane
On one hand it's pretty terrible that disney is closing studios they've bought.
On the other hand, thank god disney doesn't want to make videogames. Imagine Disney's formula of annual soulless cashgrabs applied to vidya? It would be worse than EA.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
And Disney sold FoxNext to a mobile game developer: https://venturebeat.com/2020/01/22/...s-foxnext-games-maker-of-marvel-strike-force/

And since the new owner is not interested in console/PC gaming, it is planning to re-sell Cold Iron Studios.

Scopely acquires Disney’s FoxNext Games, maker of Marvel Strike Force

Scopely, the mobile gaming company behind titles like Star Trek: Fleet Command, announced that it has acquired FoxNext Games Los Angeles from Disney.

Disney acquired FoxNext Games, a relative newcomer among Hollywood studio game divisions, as part of its acquisition of Fox for $71 billion in March 2019.

This acquisition comes on the heels of Scopely’s recent $200 million round of funding. It’s the first example of how the company is using its strategic financing for acquisitions, with the focus on expanding its already diverse portfolio of games across new genres and intellectual properties.

As part of the deal, Scopely has agreed to buy the Los Angeles studio of FoxNext Games, which made Marvel Strike Force, and Cold Iron Studios in San Jose, California. In an interview, Scopely chief revenue officer Tim O’Brien said that Cold Iron Studios will be put up for sale as the company finds a more appropriate home for its upcoming Alien first-person shooter game for consoles and the PC.

“When we first sat down with them last summer, it was pretty clear there were a lot of synergies and over time it became undeniable this was the perfect asset for us to acquire,” O’Brien said.

FoxNext Games Los Angeles has 200 employees, while Cold Iron Studios has 50. Scopely itself has 800 employees. Scopely did not purchase FoxNext’s Fogbank Entertainment studio in San Francisco, which Disney did not include in the sale. Fogbank made the StoryScapes mobile game.

FoxNext Games Los Angeles released its debut title, Marvel Strike Force, in March 2018, and it has become a strong performer on iOS and Android, bringing in more than $150 million in its first year. The studio is also developing Avatar: Pandora Rising, a massively multiplayer strategy game based on James Cameron’s Avatar film. O’Brien also said that Marvel Strike Force generated $180 million in 2019, and it had grown for seven quarters in a row since it launched.

The acquisition does not include the separate portfolio of Fox IP licensed games titles, which will continue to be a part of Disney’s licensed games business. Disney acquired FoxNext Games and licensed titles in its 2019 acquisition of 21st Century Fox.

“I’m extremely proud of what our talented team at FoxNext Games has built and accomplished in just a few years,” said Aaron Loeb, FoxNext Games president, in a statement. “And look forward to joining forces with the impressive team at Scopely, who have a well-deserved reputation as one of the preeminent companies in the free-to-play games arena.”

Upon completion of the transaction, Loeb will join Scopely in a newly created executive role, and Rahimi will lead the FoxNext Games Los Angeles studio within Scopely as president of games.

Loeb and his team have been troopers throughout the process of finding a home for the studio. It started out as a studio under Kabam, and then was transformed into Aftershock as Kabam dismantled itself. Then it was sold to Fox, which then sold itself to Disney, and now it is finding a home in Scopely.

The acquisition agreement follows a number of recent milestones for Scopely including the achievement of more than $1 billion in lifetime revenue last summer, the acquisition of Digit Game Studios, and global expansion across Europe, Asia and North America.

Sensor Tower, a mobile measurement firm, said Marvel Strike Force has been installed more than 26 million times to date. And FoxNext’s newest title, Storyscapes, has surpassed 1.7 million downloads.

Avatar: Pandora Rising, currently testing in Canada, has seen approximately 100,000 installs, Sensor Tower said.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.daybreakgames.com/news/daybreak-games-acquires-cold-iron-studios

Daybreak Games Acquires Cold Iron Studios

Studio to continue development of PC and console game set in the Alien universe

Craig Zinkievich, studio co-founder, to continue to lead studio

082.png
081.png

SAN DIEGO, Calif. - August 11, 2020 - Daybreak Games, global publisher and developer of large-scale multiplayer online games, today announced it acquired Cold Iron Studios, the San Jose based studio of veteran MMO, action and shooter developers currently working on a PC and console game set in the iconic Alien universe.

Cold Iron Studios co-founder Craig Zinkievich will continue to lead the studio and the development of the Alien game, reporting to Ji Ham, CEO of Daybreak Games. The game promises to deliver an action-packed, sci-fi shooter experience unlike any other game on the market.

“We’re incredibly proud and excited to be part of the Daybreak family,” said Zinkievich. “Daybreak and Cold Iron share the same passion and long history for delivering action-packed multiplayer games for audiences worldwide. In combining our decades of experience developing and launching globally successful multiplayer titles, we’re destined to make great games together.”

“We are delighted to have Cold Iron Studios join the Daybreak Games family and accelerate our next generation of growth,” said Ham. “Strategic investments in highly talented and proven teams that have outstanding leaders and a track record of developing awesome online games is an important part of our growth and strategy for Daybreak.”

Cold Iron Studios was established in 2015 by the creators of City of Heroes, Star Trek Online and Neverwinter. Under the new ownership, Cold Iron Studios will operate independently with Daybreak acting as publisher providing marketing, tech and operational support.

Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

ADL

Prophet
I still can't even imagine what an Aliens MMO looks like in my head. Is it kind of like FireFall's PvE with a much darker tone and aesthetic?

J1M

Arcane
I still can't even imagine what an Aliens MMO looks like in my head. Is it kind of like FireFall's PvE with a much darker tone and aesthetic?
You play as a predator. Alien and human NPCs mill about and you kill them. It's like cheating at a LAN party.

Beowulf

Arcane
Last edited:

Luka-boy

Arcane
Closest thing I can think of is the Aliens mods for Space Station 13, but in those each game round lasts a few hours at most.

ADL

Prophet

Pretty unclear but this was developed by Cold Iron and this might be the project this thread is about which isn't an MMO.

Last edited by a moderator:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

2202. A mysterious distress call reroutes your Marine Assault Unit to LV-895 in the outer colonies, where deadly Xenomorph legions, hidden corporate secrets, and ancient alien ruins await your arrival.

Set in the iconic Alien universe, Aliens: Fireteam is a cooperative third-person survival shooter that drops your fireteam of hardened marines into a desperate fight to contain the Xenomorph threat.

Face off against waves of terrifying Xenomorph and Weyland-Yutani Synthetic foes alongside two players or AI teammates, as you and your fireteam desperately fight your way through four unique campaigns that introduce new storylines to the Alien universe. Create and customize your own Colonial Marine, choosing from an extensive variety of classes, weapons, gear and perks, battling overwhelming odds in this heart-pounding survival shooter experience.

THE ULTIMATE HUNT
Play a pivotal role in the epic events that occur 23 years after the original Alien trilogy as a Colonial Marine stationed aboard the USS Endeavor, battling terrifying Xenomorph threats. Stunning visuals, iconic enemies, realistic environments, powerful weapons, futuristic equipment, and an eerie soundscape fill out new storylines in a series of replayable campaigns that evoke and expand upon the blockbuster films.

SURVIVE THE HIVE
Face overwhelming odds against over 20 enemy types, including 11 different Xenomorphs along the evolutionary scale from Facehuggers to Praetorians, each designed with their own intelligence to ambush, outsmart and eviscerate vulnerable marines. Utilize cover and master team strategy to survive extraterrestrial threats as they overrun your fireteam from every angle, swarm through doors and vents, scramble across walls and ceilings, and strike from darkness with uncanny ferocity.

CUSTOMIZE YOUR FIRETEAM
Choose from five unique classes - Gunner, Demolisher, Technician, Doc and Recon - each with their own special abilities and character perks. Utilize an extensive arsenal of 30+ weapons and 70+ mods/attachments in your effort to eradicate the Alien threat. An innovative Perk Board modifies and improves your abilities, while a unique Challenge Card system alters the approach to each Campaign mission, offering a new experience with every playthrough.

ADL

Prophet
Honestly I hope this isn't the MMO because I want to know what the hell an MMO set in the Alien franchise looks like. Either Daybreak dropped them or this is a side project.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Honestly I hope this isn't the MMO because I want to know what the hell an MMO set in the Alien franchise looks like. Either Daybreak dropped them or this is a side project.

It's not unheard of for games originally described as MMOs to get rebranded/repurposed into mere "online multiplayer games".

Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Well... I guess I am one of the few people who found Colonial Marines tolerable enough to finish it, so I will approach this with open mind. Gotta admit it doesnt look too interesting at the first glance though.

I wish someone would make that canceled Aliens RPG that Obsidian was working on instead...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom