Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NSFW Best Thread Ever [No SJW-related posts allowed]

Perkel

Arcane
They should add some epic music to that jump for full retard effect and some fx.

Perkel

Arcane
since i got like 18 "didn't load shit" emotes, repeat:

unknown.png

lightbane

Arcane
Remember when in Jak 2 there were slow-moving gates that worked as hidden load screens? Or how Jak randomly slipped and took his time to get up if you got there too fast and the game wasn't finished loading?

Fun times.

Because of feedback during playtests, People Can Fly said. Initially, Outriders did not have these loading cutscenes. Instead, there was a simple fade-in and fade-out as all players were brought together. But some playtesters complained they were disoriented when they loaded into a new area. They didn't know where they had gone to. And so, the brief cutscenes showing your character physically moving to a new area were born.

"A good example is opening the door," Kmita said. "That was only because people in playtests said, 'oh, where am I? Why was I teleported?' So we needed to have these cutscenes. We couldn't have done it so manually you can go through the doors, because we have a multiplayer game that opens different problems for us."

:avatard:

Neuromancer

Augur
Remember when in Jak 2 there were slow-moving gates that worked as hidden load screens? Or how Jak randomly slipped and took his time to get up if you got there too fast and the game wasn't finished loading?

Fun times.
Many games - also contemporary ones - use a system like this.

The metroid prime series used "loading" corridors. Sometimes you had to wait at the end for the door to open, since the adjacent room was not yet fully loaded.

The modern Tomb Raider games force you to move slowly as well while walking between some areas - especially when entering or exiting tombs.

Even the Final Fantasy VII remake hides the loading process with narrow passages through which Cloud can ownly push very slowly.

lightbane

Arcane
Yeah, they all did and still do, but usually in subtle ways, or at least not in a such dumb way as making a jump a fucking cutscene. Also, the FF7R one sounds quite dumb too. It was also used by Thi4f, conveniently enough.

Neuromancer

Augur
Also, the FF7R one sounds quite dumb too.
Yeah, it kind of is.

On one side the method was pretty effective of hiding the loading process itself.
Some people complained at lot, why Square implemented such a slow moving speed in these sequences - thinking, it was just a design issue and not a technical reason.

On the other hand, Square managed to piss off exactly these people, since these sequences play annoyingly slow - so not really a winner. :)

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
On the other hand, Square managed to piss off exactly these people, since these sequences play annoyingly slow - so not really a winner. :)
A load screen will eventually become fast as technology improves. A corridor that takes 60s to run through will always be slow. But I guess if you are a console developer, your technology can't improve either way.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Oh, another one of these: https://www.gamesradar.com/uk/future-games-show-spring-showcase-2021/

Future Games Show returns on March 25 with 40 games
Trailers, announcements, deep dives, and interviews from studios like SEGA, Team 17, Warner Bros, and EA for our Spring Showcase

7bHKy8N3m9XGzicAXEUdxR-320-80.jpg

The Future Games Show will be back on March 25 for a special spring showcase, featuring 40 games from more than 30 different publishers and developers, including SEGA, Team 17, Warner Bros. and EA.

You can watch the show on Thursday, March 25 at 14:45 PDT / 17:45 EDT / 21:45 GMT on Twitch, Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, and right here on GamesRadar.

Whatever your gaming platform of choice the Future Games Show has you covered, with titles for PS5, Xbox Series X, Nintendo Switch, PS4, Xbox One, and PC, all hosted by stars of the Resident Evil 3 Remake - Jeff Schine (Carlos Oliveira) and Nicole Tompkins (Jill Valentine)

"I am thrilled to be presenting the Future Game Show: Spring Showcase alongside my talented Resident Evil 3 remake co-star Jeff Schine," said Tompkins. "It's bound to be a blast and I am so looking forward to showing the fans some of the amazing new games coming out this year! Join us March 25 live on Twitch."

"Looking forward to working with Nicole again and getting the team together," said Schine. "Both of us are die-hard gamers so getting the chance to host the Future Games Show is really exciting. I’ve been trying to get a sneak peak at the line up, haven’t had much luck…but from the little I’ve been told so far, it's gonna be quite the show. Can't wait to show you guys some new looks at upcoming games, and maybe share an announcement or two. See ya on March 25th, you don’t wanna miss it."

This is just the first Future Games Show for 2021, with future shows scheduled for June and August.

"The Future Game Show is back for 2021 and our new Spring Showcase event will be a truly multi-format experience showcasing the most exciting up-and-coming titles of 2021," said Daniel Dawkins, content director of games and film at Future.

"The Future Game Show is GamesRadar’s premiere digital games showcase, it reached over 27 million views across two shows in 2020."

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom