Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Blasphemous - gorgeous looking religious horror metroidvania

lightbane

Arcane
Of course Hollow Knight is much better than Blasphemous.
But holding all Metroidvanias to Hollow Knight standards is pretty unfair now considering that even classics of the genre cant catch up with its quality.

According to Roxor combat is pretty much jump + down + attack ala Ducktales though.
:troll:

I still have to play HK, but it does look cool, if a bit too inspired by Dark Souls IMO.

Machocruz

Arcane
Super Metroid still has more going on in level design/exploration than the vast majority of similar games that followed, including any game mentioned here, due to the number of secret passages, shortcuts, and breakable tiles there are. I'd have a hard time coming up with games afterward that match or exceed it. La Mulana competes purely on sense of scale and arduousness. From what I've seen, the next major evolution of Metroid hasn't come yet, but it will be the game of it's kind where, like Terraria, Noita, you can create your own passages through the environment. Wed this to Nintendo level polish, character control and pacing, and you can then say a game has 'beat' Super Metroid.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Of course Hollow Knight is much better than Blasphemous.
But holding all Metroidvanias to Hollow Knight standards is pretty unfair now considering that even classics of the genre cant catch up with its quality.
I didn't like Hollow Knight but loved Blasphemous. It felt like the game was slower, the combat more involved yet somehow worse and more chaotic. Navigating the map was a PITA. The upgrades were as lackluster as Blasphemous. Can anyone explain to me what they saw in it?

overly excitable young man

Well compared to Blasphemous Hollow Knight still holds the classic virtues a metroidvania has to have.
A big map that opens up once you find the right upgrades.

Upgrades are useful compared to Blasphemous and you actually need em to complete the game.
Once you have the upgrades there are always tons of new points to reach and stuff to collect in Hollow Knight.
Not so much in Blasphemous.

Bosses actually are kinda interesting in Hollow Knight and not complete pushovers.

Doesnt sound as if you played Hollow Knight all that long tbh.
The thing with it is that it just gets better the longer you play.
Start is pretty slow.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Actually that's fair. Map-wise this feels more like Dark Souls with an accordion 3-1-3-1 progress structure.

Bosses actually are kinda interesting in Hollow Knight and not complete pushovers.
Both were eh, we've seen better in the genre. Valdis Story maybe?

Ivan

Arcane
Perhaps it wasn't your cup of tea, but the craft behind Hollow Knight's bosses is excellent. I still think fondly of Grimm, Dung Defender, Zote, and many more.

The only bosses that stick to me b/c of actual mechanics and not the art behind it are the DLC bosses in Blasphemous, which were excellent.

Ivan

Arcane
200w.webp

Matalarata

Arcane
Patron
Skimmed the whole thread, wanted to avoid spoilers as much as I could, now at about 70% completion so I feel like I can chime in. Sorry if I end up repeating what has already been said.

This game has one of the best (maybe the best) art direction I've recently experienced. Graphics, mood, atmosphere, music (oh, God, dat music!), they literally hit each and every mark imho. I'd go as far as saying it quickly became a personal favourite of mine, again under the artistic standpoint. The vague souls-like exposition definitely lends itself well to such a visceral setting.

As far as metroidvania gameplay goes it's quite easy, although the combo system does allows for some nifty (if unnecessary, due to low difficulty) gameplay. Map markers are a godsend, my biggest gripe with Hollow Knight was basically being forced to map it by hand, to keep track of closed routes. I noticed that Blasphemous has much less backtracking than your average similar title, which is hit and miss really. I'd love to have a few more closed off areas to explore later on.

Since I've reached the final quarter of the game, more or less, and I've still found no popamole double-jump upgrade, I suppose no such thing exists, right? Incline if so. I'm all for experimenting away from what has started to become a formulaic game design. The idea of interchangeable relics that deepen exploration and open different routes is definitely a good one, I just wish they went a bit more heavy-handed on that, it's still one of the more linear metroidvania I've played.

All in all, gud gaem. Really gud. I will definitely be remembering this one for a long time to come.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Also playing it right now and agree it is indeed quite good all-around.

Only downside is that it truly is way too easy.
I'd guess I'm probably halfway through the game and so far beat every boss on the first try (even with flasks remaining sometimes).

That's really not what should happen in a game like this.
Bosses as well as normal enemies just seem to be very slow, allowing you ample time to react to anything.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
overall the game is fun. the pixel art is probably the best i have ever seen and it's atmospheric as fuck. combat is fun, but too easy on NG. i heard NG+ is way harder but the game doesn't really warrant any replay.

7/10

v1rus

Arcane
beat it on 100%

its good. beautiful visually, and solidly designed. Plot is another "canizbed0rksolzplz?" masturbation fest, but the game is good all in all. Sound was ranging from decent to good, but soundtrack on platforming challenges from the second dlc rocked all hell.

Completed whole second dlc, because I'm a masochist who likes platforming hellscapes. Now, I'm bit tired of the game, so I'm not sure - should i do the first dlc? I really cant be arsed to beat everything from the start on NG+, and relics, prayers, beads mean shit with no HP and whatever fancy word this game uses for mana.

Ivan

Arcane
overall the game is fun. the pixel art is probably the best i have ever seen and it's atmospheric as fuck. combat is fun, but too easy on NG. i heard NG+ is way harder but the game doesn't really warrant any replay.

7/10

A 2nd playthrough is a must for the new bosses/questline/plus that sweet sweet music. But by all means take a break, no need to rush things. Play a different game as a palette cleanser and come back when you're ready.

Ivan

Arcane
Definitely, I don't think you can even experience the DLC content on first playthrough (unsure if they changed that with the Ritual of the Night DLC). I'm myself gonna wait for my 3rd run for when the expansion drops in October.

Ivan

Arcane
Final DLC is out. Very much looking forward to one more run.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom