Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian General Discussion Thread

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

The Outer Worlds here is used as an example, they are supposedly using this tech in in-dev projects like Avowed.

As they say this is not to replace real actors (for now, I guess) but text-to-speech software for temp voices: https://venturebeat.com/2021/03/02/...tion-in-automated-speech-for-game-prototypes/

You could simply use these scripts and the voices generated to populate dialogue into the non-player characters of a game. But the point of this isn’t to put voice actors out of work, Qureshi said. Rather, it gives a readable, reviewable script to the creators much earlier in the creative process so that they can listen to the dialogue and change it much earlier in the process if it clearly doesn’t sound right, she said.

In order to demonstrate its voice-on-demand technology, Sonantic has released a demo video highlighting its partnership with Obsidian, maker of The Outer Worlds and a subsidiary of Microsoft’s Xbox Game Studios. Others using Sonantic include Splash Damage and Sumo Digital.

“This technology isn’t made to replace actors,” Qureshi said. “What it actually helps with is at the very beginning of game development. Triple-A games can take up to 10 years to make. But they typically get in actors at the very early stages, because they’re constantly iterating. So they use text-to-speech that’s been an industry standard for the last few decades. But we’ve created a way that helps actors work virtually as well as in person. And it helps studios get voices into their game, highly realistic voices into their game from the very beginning to help them feel out the story arc, fill out the pacing, really understand what needs to change, so that their iteration cycles can continue to go really fast.”

Wunderbar

Arcane
Others using Sonantic include Splash Damage and Sumo Digital.
I will most probably be proven wrong, but this only reinforces my suspicion that Splash Damage took over Bloodlines 2.
this is ridiculous.
Paradox hired a multiplayer fps studio to handle Bloodlines 2, they fucked up. And now you're telling us they did the same mistake again and hired another multiplayer fps studio?

Spacer's Nugget

Learned
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Others using Sonantic include Splash Damage and Sumo Digital.
I will most probably be proven wrong, but this only reinforces my suspicion that Splash Damage took over Bloodlines 2.
this is ridiculous.
Paradox hired a multiplayer fps studio to handle Bloodlines 2, they fucked up. And now you're telling us they did the same mistake again and hired another multiplayer fps studio?

One of their most recent hires was Steve Lee, as a Lead Level Designer. His previous experience includes level and narrative design roles in quite a few story-driven games, like BioShock Infinite, Dishonored 2 + Death of the Outsider, The Occupation, Ken Levine's Narrative Legos™, Dying Light 2, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wunderbar

Arcane
One of their most recent hires was Steve Lee, as a Lead Level Designer. His previous experience includes level and narrative design roles in quite a few story-driven games, like BioShock Infinite, Dishonored 2 + Death of the Outsider, The Occupation, Ken Levine's Narrative Legos™, Dying Light 2, etc.
that's a pretty good resume. A call of duty clone, a game with really weak narrative, a walking sim, a game that hasn't released yet, and a game that's been stuck in development hell for years.

Last edited by a moderator:

Spacer's Nugget

Learned
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Fun fact - if confirmed, Bloodlines 2 would be the 4th project in which both Steve Lee and Chris Avellone worked on in some capacity, the other three being: Ken Levine's pet project, The Church in the Darkness, and Dying Light 2. I wonder if they know each other.

Spacer's Nugget

Learned
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Qbxse0.jpg

:hmmm:

Self-Ejected

TheDiceMustRoll

Game Analist
200k a year, folks! Remember that Gary Gygax died a pauper

Did he really? Like, a Meyer Lansky level pauper or the real deal lower end scraping by type? Or just middle class?

- got fucked out of his own company
- blew his crazy earnings from TSR/DND on a beverly hills mansion and parties
- died in shitloads of debt according to gail simone

Like I'm pretty sure he got some royalties from DnD but I can't imagine it was tons, especially since they fucked him with the same trick he tried to fuck Arneson with

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
"Pauper" in the same sense that lottery/superbowl winners end up as "paupers" having blown all their money on luxuries.

http://www.factfiend.com/co-creator-dungeons-dragons-party-animal/

The story goes that in the 1980’s Gygax was summarily ousted from his company TSR Inc under the pretence of going to Hollywood and searching out media opportunities for the Dungeons & Dragons brand. In reality, the company was simply sick of Gygax’s hard partying lifestyle that involved smoking drugs, drinking hard liquor at all hours of the day and sleeping with random women while married.

Upon becoming wealthy beyond his wildest dreams Gygax immediately set about living as fast and hard as he could, taking up smoking CBD weed and day-drinking because when you’re a millionaire you can do whatever the hell you want, even if you’re married. Mind you Gygax started doing this when he was still, supposedly, a committed Jehovah’s Witness.

Gygax’s lifestyle though caused friction with his wife and the two divorced in the 1983, shortly before the aforementioned ousting from his company and apparent banishment to Hollywood. Realising that he was now single and had infinite money to dick around with, Gygax rented a massive mansion overlooking Hollywood, filled it with cocaine and immediately set about ploughing his way through the LA’s available 20-year-old women.

In between cocaine fuelled orgies Gygax still found time to actually play Dungeons & Dragons and even managed to somehow find funding ill-fated Dungeons & Dragons movie that never materialised. This was in-between hobnobbing with celebrities like Orson Welles and cruising around LA in a giant Cadillac driven by whatever supermodel he happened to be dating at the time because he never bothered to learn how to drive. If you’re wondering how Gygax could possibly sound like any more of a baller, on one occasion he had one of those supermodels drive him to an after-party for the Miss Beverly Hills International Beauty Pageant just so that he could get his best friend laid by Miss Finland.

Ninjerk

Arcane
"Pauper" in the same sense that lottery/superbowl winners end up as "paupers" having blown all their money on luxuries.

The story goes that in the 1980’s Gygax was summarily ousted from his company TSR Inc under the pretence of going to Hollywood and searching out media opportunities for the Dungeons & Dragons brand. In reality, the company was simply sick of Gygax’s hard partying lifestyle that involved smoking drugs, drinking hard liquor at all hours of the day and sleeping with random women while married.

Upon becoming wealthy beyond his wildest dreams Gygax immediately set about living as fast and hard as he could, taking up smoking CBD weed and day-drinking because when you’re a millionaire you can do whatever the hell you want, even if you’re married. Mind you Gygax started doing this when he was still, supposedly, a committed Jehovah’s Witness.

Gygax’s lifestyle though caused friction with his wife and the two divorced in the 1983, shortly before the aforementioned ousting from his company and apparent banishment to Hollywood. Realising that he was now single and had infinite money to dick around with, Gygax rented a massive mansion overlooking Hollywood, filled it with cocaine and immediately set about ploughing his way through the LA’s available 20-year-old women.

In between cocaine fuelled orgies Gygax still found time to actually play Dungeons & Dragons and even managed to somehow find funding ill-fated Dungeons & Dragons movie that never materialised. This was in-between hobnobbing with celebrities like Orson Welles and cruising around LA in a giant Cadillac driven by whatever supermodel he happened to be dating at the time because he never bothered to learn how to drive. If you’re wondering how Gygax could possibly sound like any more of a baller, on one occasion he had one of those supermodels drive him to an after-party for the Miss Beverly Hills International Beauty Pageant just so that he could get his best friend laid by Miss Finland.
mondblut Major_Blackhart
:excellent:

Self-Ejected

TheDiceMustRoll

Game Analist
I hope a d&d player virgin vs gary gygax chad meme dot jpg exists.

Tim Kask talks about how many of the people who played OG DnD in that circle were like, ex-military who lived frugally, were married, had kids, etc, and then they'd go to the burgeoning Gen Cons and meet 35 year old virgins and were just completely thrown for a fucking loop as to how that could happen.

Edit: fuck I'm never gonna find it again, but he really is one of the funniest. His rants about David Arneson are legendary. Arneson had a weird habit of never writing anything down and just sort of giving people a pile of scrap paper and going "y-y-yeah thats the that that is the thing"

One day, after I had been there a couple of months, Gary and Brian were waiting for me that morning when I got to Gary’s house (we worked out of his basement) with what looked to be a bushel basket of scrap papers, like someone had cleaned out their desk, and sly smiles on their faces. I should have known something was up by those smiles…

Dropping the basket at my feet, they announced that it contained the next supplement and that I should pitch right in. After stirring it a bit, I asked if they were serious, and they assured me that they were. It took the better part of two days to sort it out, and another day or two to try to make some sense of it. When I reported back about a week later that what I had found was contradictory, confusing, incomplete, partially incomprehensible, lacking huge bits and pieces and mostly gibberish, they laughed and said they knew that. Both of them had already come to the same conclusion that if I was to be the editor, here was my acid test, and that neither one of them certainly wanted to do it. So over the next several weeks, I sorted, filled in, added and deleted. What came out was about 60% my work, 30% Dave Arneson’s and the remainder came from Gary and Rob Kuntz. I was reminded by Gary that the day I brought the finished manuscript in to him and Brian that I threatened to quit if ever I was given another “project” (read “basket case”) such as this one.

It's why you shouldn't take sides on the Gygax v Arneson thing because holy shit there are no good guys

Last edited:

mondblut

Arcane

mondblut Major_Blackhart

Truly the greatest man who has ever lived.

After Hitler, of course.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron

Gygax's ouster from TSR in 1985 had no direct relationship to his time spent in Los Angeles vainly seeking to transform Dungeons & Dragons into a mass media pop culture phenomenon, and it mattered indirectly only insofar as Brian and Kevin Blume had assumed greater control of the company in Gygax's absence but then sought to divest themselves entirely after Gygax reasserted control over TSR in 1985. After Gygax repeatedly failed to purchase their share of ownership and having been alienated by their one-time friend, the Blume brothers resorted to selling their shares to Lorraine Williams, the wealthy heiress to the Buck Rogers fortune who had already been brought into TSR by Gygax himself as part of an effort to obtain much needed funds from new investors. For her part, Lorraine Williams hoped to bolster the waning fortunes of the Buck Rogers franchise by having TSR create games based on it, although it wouldn't be until 1990 that TSR published a Buck Rogers in the 25th Century RPG (designed by Mike Pondsmith!) and SSI released a Buck Rogers CRPG.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron

mondblut Major_Blackhart

Sawyer will never be cool.

Self-Ejected

TheDiceMustRoll

Game Analist

mondblut Major_Blackhart

Sawyer will never be cool.

What if he got #metoo'd like, tomorrow and it turned out he was basically Chris Avellone but 10x more aggressive, 1000x more racist, and took no to always mean yes. also he didnt do what he did on twitter but instead started posting videos of lists with his accuser's names on them and him loading a gun? Would he be cool then?
Hope not. You fucking lunatic

Gygax’s hard partying lifestyle that involved sleeping with random women while married.

- Hi I invented DnD, wanna sleep with me?
- Oh, Fuck YEAAH! This is my happy day! BRING IT ON BABY!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom