Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Has anyone overcome their initial boredom of an RPG?

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
What's wrong with Leisure Suit Larry?

You misunderstand.

Part of the excitement of LSL is the titillation of potentially watching Larry "score" (even though I know it doesn't really show sex). That's technically almost like cuckoldry. By you watching someone else play it... well, you get the idea.

Poseidon00

Arcane
I took some time getting fucking murdered in my first few battles every time I created a character in Fallout 1 and 2 getting adjusted to the classics.

laclongquan

Arcane
What's wrong with Leisure Suit Larry?

You misunderstand.

Part of the excitement of LSL is the titillation of potentially watching Larry "score" (even though I know it doesn't really show sex). That's technically almost like cuckoldry. By you watching someone else play it... well, you get the idea.
This assume the most basic assumption, that the girls Larry scored are yours to begin with.

As you can see this is too big an assumption~

Then again, I dont like and never play LSL so maybe that's because its inspiring cuckoldry never interest me to begin with.

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014

So everyone who played Police Quest just secretly wanted to shoot niggers vicariously?

Don't project your sad motivations onto others dude.

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
I like the adult humour, the colours, the music of the series. I was a little kid when I played the first game.

What sad fuck equates enjoying a classic adult themed sierra series with cuckoldry?

Humanophage

Arcane
I was bored of Might and Magic 6, Morrowind, and Fallout 2 when they came out. I also didn't especially like Gothic 1.

However, for M&M6, I gave it to a friend who found it unexpectedly pleasant. I then forced myself to play it for a while, and voila, I ended up liking it so much I completed M&M7, and even enjoyed the dubious M&M8 and M&M9. For Morrowind, I decided to stick for the attractive setting, even though the gameplay seemed like a hike with a boring encyclopedia dump. Fallout 2 starts off in an unappealing fashion with the temple followed by the boring village, but then picks up. The same friend who liked M&M6 also liked Gothic 1, so I gave it another run and absolutely loved it, to the point that it became one of my favourite games.

So, give peace a chance.

As for the specific games in the OP, the selection sounds a bit strange. Why would anyone who liked Fallout and Planescape dislike Arcanum? It's like Fallout, but with a more inventive setting and writing as well as crap combat, which you should tolerate if you liked P:T. Sounds like there was no particularly good reason, probably your mood at the time.

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
When I was a kid games were very expensive (for me), and procuring them was difficult and time consuming.

You had to beg your mom to drive you to the mall, and if you were successful, you then might spend an hour browsing titles at the store. You had to carefully scrutinize the screenshots and description on the back of the box to know what you were getting, because the cover was often misleading. You did your best guesswork based on what you heard at school and what your friends were playing, but ultimately it was a gamble. More than once, you might do all of this to end up buying a stinker. So the stakes were very high as a kid.

On the trip back home from the mall, you would pour over the manual and LARP in your imagination. Getting home was like Christmas morning, a mad rush to the PC to turn it on and wait for it to boot up. The installation process was some kind of black magic; putting the disk in the drive and typing out a strange combination of letters, characters, and spaces. More often than not screwing it up. If you didn't screw it up, the disk drive would make angry noises, and you would sit there with a worried expression on your face, hoping the computer wouldn't explode. Then, it would prompt you to add another disk, and another, and another. The process was tedious and tense and it took forever. You never knew if you might accidentally have a faulty disk, or what if you entered the wrong command and erased one?

Then, miraculously, you would be greeted by an introduction screen and glorious music!

After having committed to all of the above, quitting was out of the question. You would devote days of your life to somehow make that game worth playing even if it killed you. If you were lucky you might end up with a good game 2/3 times. If you didn't, there was no returning an unsealed product. You were married to it.

The stakes were high, and initial boredom was never an option.

I got all my games pirated.

I don't remember NOT enjoying a game I received from my pirate sources.

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
As for the specific games in the OP, the selection sounds a bit strange. Why would anyone who liked Fallout and Planescape dislike Arcanum? It's like Fallout, but with a more inventive setting and writing as well as crap combat, which you should tolerate if you liked P:T. Sounds like there was no particularly good reason, probably your mood at the time.
I'm trying to figure it out myself.

None come to mind. My tastes have also stayed very consistent over the years, so I can't even think of a game I've given a second chance which to have redeemed itself.

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
I found the beginning of Planescape, Baldur's Gate 2 and Fallout 2 quite boring. But then they blew me away once you reach the outside world.

Last edited:

Harthwain

Magister
Play something else for a while then go back. The game isn't going anywhere.
Is the game going to be any less boring when you come back?
For me it's a matter of phase. I tend to play one game to death, until I get bored. Then I go to another that interests me. So it's just a matter of finding something else to play, until your desire to play the previous games comes back.

People watching other people playing is replacement for television. Also, you mistake cuckoldry for voyeurism.

Old Hans

Arcane
I have to be in the right mind set. sometimes I wanna play an Elex type rpg and other times its a slow isometric rpg. If I try to play like Pillars of Eternity while NOT in the zone, ill get bored really fast

Apostle Hand

Liturgist
Batshit Crazy
it's good to take a break some time. playing 24 hours using heavy doses of energy drinks and alcohol isn't good for organism.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
I'm a huge fan of Fallout 1 & 2, Planescape, Morrowind... Yet when I sit down to play another "classic" rpg like Baldur's Gate, Pillars of Eternity, ToEE, Arcanum... I'm bored out of my brain. I can't even stand watching playthroughs on youtube.

Has anyone overcome a similar aversion to an RPG and ended up enjoying it?
I haven't played an RPG for years.
Baldur's Gate is unmitigated decline, and Pillars of Eternity is a retread of the former, so you aren't missing anything by avoiding them except pain and suffering. Depending on how many years have passed since you abandoned CRPGs, there might be a multitude of worthwhile recent games you've never experienced, and I doubt you've had such extensive experience of classic CRPGs that there aren't at least several you've never played.

A selection of recent games: Demon's Souls (2009), Dark Souls (2011), Legend of Grimrock (2012), Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen (2013), Paper Sorcerer (2013), Legend of Grimrock II (2014), UnderRail (2015), Age of Decadence (2015), Salt & Sanctuary (2016), The Warlock of Firetop Mountain (2016), Grimoire: Heralds of the Winged Exemplar (2017), Kingdom Come: Deliverance (2018), Kenshi (2018), Outward (2019), Dungeon of Naheulbeuk (2020)

kA3m1cp.png

Darth Canoli

Arcane
I'm a huge fan of Fallout 1 & 2, Planescape, Morrowind... Yet when I sit down to play another "classic" rpg like Baldur's Gate, Pillars of Eternity, ToEE, Arcanum... I'm bored out of my brain. I can't even stand watching playthroughs on youtube.

Has anyone overcome a similar aversion to an RPG and ended up enjoying it?

Pillows of Eternity is NOT a classic.

Watching video playthrough IS boring.

ToEE starting village would bore even fluent, the right way is to skip most villagers quests, don't even visit regular houses, play with Temple+ for more classes variety.

Arcanum opening isn't much but the first village should be interesting at least the first time you play it.

Of course, there is also the possibility you never really liked cRPG since you're a morrowind fan, maybe that's what you should play, walking simulators/3D ARPG which is a very different genre.

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
For me I found I was "all epiced out" in a way. Saved the world too many times, banged too many maidens, accumulated too many huge fortunes to count. If you need masterful ego stroking to enjoy a game you will be disappointed as most games can not provide this to the levels the pleasure centres of your brain have come to require.

You have to get back to basics to enjoy these games which is, more or less:

- Explore somewhere you haven't been before.
- Accumulate some xp or other reward.
- Run out of resources and head back to town to chill out for a while.

A great RPG will facilitate the cycle above. Personally I find enjoy JRPGs more lately because it basically enforces the loop above and I don't need to organise it myself.

Shit like Pillars of Eternity barely supports it at all. Maybe that White March expansion people seem to like does but I will never know.

Basically, play a good RPG. But also, play it right.

Butter

Arcane
Patron

So everyone who played Police Quest just secretly wanted to shoot niggers vicariously?
Secretly?

xuerebx

Erudite
I experience the opposite of initial boredom - I enjoy a game a lot but due to limited game time (i) after around 40 hours I just want to try out a different game (so delayed onset boredom?), or (ii) I forget where I left off and I don't want to restart. In recent years there are a few notable exceptions for longish games such Underrail, Wizardry 8, Avernum 2: CS, Wasteland 2, but generally if I look at my steam/GOG playlist I drop a considerable number of games at the 40-50 hour mark.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom