Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Maps in RPGs

Apostle Hand

Liturgist
Batshit Crazy
How do you find maps working in RPGs? Considering old theory of maps are not territory, most older rpgs have shitty maps where you couldn't navigate properly. Sure being lost in dungeon is interesting but it would require quality map. Aside from character development, skill checks and stats, maps are surely most frustrating part of rpg experience(aside from time limit). If we look closely from roleplaying perspective that's harsh issue. But if we took gameplay approach it's not so bad.

for example maps in nwn were so small and user unfriendly, even when it was released way after BG games. UI and semi-open early 3d system makes up for that.

Even Dragon Age had shitty maps, where I wonder how could heavily impaired individual would navigate through them.

Harthwain

Magister
I really liked the way map mechanic was done in Gothic. You have to buy it first. Then you have to physically use it, so it doesn't work like a GPS in other games. And it's an actual geographical map, without any stuff labelled on top of it. It also has a very nice art, like it was really hand-made by somebody.

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
I thought this thread would be about games that force you to rely on in-game maps VS using quest markers. That would have been a better thread.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I do wish developers would go that extra mile and have a proper hand-held map system, where you can buy reasonably good local maps in local shops, but they only have sketchy maps of the whole region, unless you go to a high level bookshop or map shop in a big city, where they have proper cartographers' maps. Then for dungeons, you have sketchy maps like in Thief (maybe you bought it from a dodgy market, and it's part of the effects of some lost adventurer, that type of thing). And then of course you can draw a map of a dungeon on your own, in-game, and sell it in shops.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
I don't really care about map mechanics as long as I understand where I am. Any extras I enjoy, but only if its not confusing or in eye-searing colors.

I agree with the sentiment that there should be more in-story maps. Exile 3 did that and it was really cool. Have some maps done by people using magic to scan an area, some done poorly by adventurers, and then the expensive proper ones.
And of course, maps that straight up lie to throw you into an ambush. :lol:

laclongquan

Arcane
With most games, map is not that necessary since we can always drag screens around.

BUT.

If games has something like puzzle, or some note remind us of where this door's keys are, map notes is better than journal and/or handwritten notes.

Like Baldur's Gate 2 the Dock area where we note our old acquantaince is on the map in order to go around that (to avoid trigger the convo).

Generic-Giant-Spider

I make my own maps.

KUstwrH.jpeg

I am very good at it. Commission rates are $30 per map.

nlfortier

Esturia Games
Developer
I grew up after the time when in game maps were the norm. The first game I ever played where I had to do my own cartography was Eye of the Beholder on DOS, and I got irreversibly lost. Personally, I like a good auto-mapping system, as long as the auto-map doesn't overtake the game. A map should be something you can refer to occasionally to get your bearings, but an ever-present auto-map with a quest marker breaks the immersion for me.

Gastrick

Cipher
Maps usually work very well in isometric RPGs and dungeon crawlers(if present). Any grid based maps are going to be simple to understand. Even women with their poor spatial ability should be able to read the maps in those games and understand them. Then again, I shouldn't get my hopes up too high.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom