Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

SPRAWL - cyberpunk retro FPS

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://sprawl.gg

ss_d3178d956e05395ebf22827644f0a65ead5c1c62.1920x1080.jpg

ss_074e810b23750d7f14762076817afb994a4e6d64.1920x1080.jpg

With all that wallrunning, bullet time and pinata.

Escape the walled city and take on the militarized government of the sprawl. Fueled by the blood of your enemies and a mysterious voice in your head, make your way towards the spire to topple whatever lays within.

SPRAWL is a hardcore retro FPS set in an endless cyberpunk megapolis. Here the streets are your playground. The dark alleys and dilapidated apartments are all surfaces compatible with your “icarus” cybernetic implant. This implant allows you to perform gravity defying acrobatic wall-running maneuvers. Your enemies, the militarized police of the sprawl, stand no chance. Not only that, but their blood fuels this same implant, vastly enhancing your reaction time. On command you can enter a state in which even bullets move at a snail's pace. A vast arsenal of weapons lie at your disposal, the armies of the corporate government are endless, but be warned...

the sprawl eventually consumes us all.

Last edited by a moderator:

Falksi

Arcane
I don't get the need to retro-ify these types of games?

The one genre which 3-D & graphical enhancements improved were FPS based games.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Because this is a small indie game? Especially with these level design-focused games, I think it's good thing that level designers can have control over level geometries instead of doing back-and-forth with artists (or mangling pre-made assets bought from marketplaces). It's a matter of whether it looks good or not, and this one looks fine to me (barring some inconsistencies in polygon details and pixel sizes).

Baron Dupek

Arcane
G-String but better and less weird?
That profile pic rings a bell... saw it in the first tweet on Selaco's account (that FEAR in GZDoom).

Eirinjas

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
Wall-running and bullet-time are super gay. I can't think of a bigger obstacle to me playing an FPS than parkour and bullet-time. Fuck that faggot shit.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Hard Reset but worse?
It doesn't look that bad.

I think this one lives and dies by level design. Ghostrunner is more of a first person platformer (like Mirror's Edge but worse), and it doesn't look as bombastic as Get to the Orange door. I may add the levels look cool but we'll see.

Also wallrunning is fun, I like movement options to fuck around with.

Ash

Arcane
I don't think graphics were necessarily what was being referred to. More like the design (probably because of movement). And because slow mo and wall runs legitimately are old school now (common design 15-20 years ago, e.g Max Payne, FEAR, PoP: Sands of Time, Total Overdose). Yes, I suppose we're getting old, Yet every other modern game company abuses slo mo these days and it pisses me the fuck off...but these old games did it right, where it wasn't a win button.

Game looks...possibly alright. Not sure what Less_TT is talking about regarding level design though. This looks like art and realism-oriented "level design" as much as any other shitty modern game. Benefit of the doubt though; it's hard to tell from a select few scenes. There's certainly a lack of much of anything obviously abstract and gamey upon first glance.

Last edited:

JDR13

Arcane
Yet another low-poly "retro" shooter that takes us back 15 years.

I don't see the appeal, but evidently there's a market for it.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Not sure what Less_TT is talking about regarding level design though. This looks like art and realism-oriented "level design" as much as any other shitty modern game.

Oh, I was talking about general benefits of using retro-ish graphics, not specifically about this game. I have not much to say about level design of this game. (And I kinda agree that some of the details seem overboard for its own art style and supposed gameplay but those screenshots supposed to be beauty shots, will see.)

DeepOcean

Arcane
First thing: They could do a better job at conveying a cyberpunk look to the scenery, from the trailer, everything is grey/brown with some lost chinese signs here in there for the "Look, cyberpunk here." EYE did a much better job at looking cyberpunk.

Second: Wall running looks like a gimmick, Ghost Runner combat was annoying because it was an one trick poney that they repeated over and over and over, now here, at least you can have other guns but in my opinion, stuff like wall running should be an option for you to look cool not a necessity, if you wanted, you could play FEAR without touching the slow time button and also on FEAR, you could karate the fuck out of the drones in slow motion if you felt like, if you have to do wall running to play the game at all, I see this getting tiresome quickly, a gimmick over staying its welcome hard.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Yet another low-poly "retro" shooter that takes us back 15 years.

I don't see the appeal, but evidently there's a market for it.

II'm much more of a Half-Life guy than a Quake guy myself, but loading up one of these for a quick round of mindless shooting can be enjoyable in short bursts between other things.

Tarkleigh

Learned
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Looks like Ghostrunner with PS1 graphics and without the flow or tight gameplay loop. Unless there are some deeper mechanics hidden somewhere I see no reason why someone should play this.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong

Feel like they should've opened with shotgun jumping in the first place.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom