Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
Insider details sounds good. The Elder Souls!

Black Angel

Arcane
Horrible performance indeed, but "overly streamlined slasher" seems like action games just aren't your cup of tea.

Action games are my cup of tea and Bloodborne is nothing special in that regard.
It's not in regards of action games in general, but it surely is something in context of From's games.

Now, I'm kinda confused with the Bloodborne detractors at this point, because on one hand we have people calling it 'overly streamlined slasher' which certainly means it distinguish itself from Dark Souls even if not in their desired way, but on the other hand we also have people calling it 'Dark Souls but with Victorian Lovecraft'. Truly, a clear, tangible examples of 'can't please everyone, I guess'.
but i must admit, seeing a dragon land and breathe fire is just disappointing at this stage. kalameet, sinh, ancient dragon, midir + a dozen or so of various wyverns is enough to last me a lifetime
You see, I'm of the mind that Fromsoft is at its best when they don't make sequels. Demon's Souls have overwhelmingly positive reception as far as I could see from the masses of interest (including Codex), and I still hold Dark Souls 1 as their overall best in the trilogy. Onward, Bloodborne has 0 dragons or anything of an equivalent, and while Sekiro has Divine Dragon it was strongly tied to the narrative in the way Kalameet, Sinh, Midir, and even Ancient Dragon weren't. DD wasn't a mere convenient plot delivery, the whole thing revolve around it, from the Dragon's Heritage, the Dragonrot (sadly, a half-assed mechanic), Immortal Severance and the Mortal Blade, etc etc. How they've executed the (gimmick) bossfight with DD, that one's for another discussion, but IMO they've done it excellently mostly in regards to audiovisual (breathtakingly stunning look and feels, complete with probably one of the only memorable boss OST, on par with Sword Saint's) and non-obtrusive gameplay (wasn't much a chore like Bed of Chaos or Ancient Wyvern, that is).

I said all that, but personally I couldn't care less if their games are going to have dragons; so long as they can pull it off well. So the fact that I hold Dark Souls 1 as their overall best in the trilogy, is probably why I don't feel as you do with dragons like Sinh, Ancient Dragon, Midir, and Ancient Wyvern. Still, if dragons and its equivalent are going to make a comeback through ER this time I do hope they can pull it off properly, at the very least fix any issues with the cameras at all.
The only good dragon fights I've experienced outside of Fromsoft's games was Dragon's Dogma, especially Grigori. Just the right amount of climbing on its back and fighting it head on while on the ground. It was the same with the other dragonkin, where they have a clear cut weakness to be targeted, and they can be knocked down too, either from the sky or off its feet on the ground, which makes it a proper fight. The only equivalent of knocking the dragons down from the sky in Dark Souls were with Kalameet and even that with the help of Gough, and even then you can't really knock it off its feet though I kinda forgot if you can even stagger him, let alone opening him for a riposte. I also forgot how Midir ends up in that underground cave, and while him having his head as a weakspot kinda makes it a challenging fight, the camera issue was still prevalent enough to stifle its fun factor for me.
Weirdly enough Bloodborne with its well-designed bosses allows you to stagger them multiple times through the entire bossfights, even opening them to visceral attacks very often, not to mention some of them can be outright knocked off their feet. I especially love bullying Darkbeast Paarl with the Kirkhammer, the poor guy's very prone to being knocked down and losing its electric charges with a well-placed charged transformed R2.
Not true, they could make the next Souls game be set in the age of dark. This would help save on the budget, too, as all they would need to render is a black screen.
If the Chasm of the Abyss taught us something is that the absence of light, does not necessarily make a completely dark screen.
I'm just going to comment on this briefly; what happens in Oolacile are not indicative of what the Age of Dark has in store. Because going by that logic, then Demon Ruins and Lost Izalith would've been the fate of the world if we keep the Age of Fire (unnaturally) going.

Fire =/= Chaos
Dark =/= Abyss

That's why we got 3 derivative rehashes in the forms of Bloodborne, DaS3 and Sekiro. The DaS formula was not improved one bit by either one of these games (Martial Arts!?) but they were great money makers for FromSoftware.

Bloodborne - rehashed (start of stagnation)

Sekiro - rehashed (end of stagnation)
I know you personally not a person who feels strongly about anything, toro, so I'm just going to put this out there for everyone else reading the thread.

But I can't, for the life of me, ever comprehend this sentiment at all. I do understand with DaS3, in fact I wholeheartedly agree with it. And also only slightly with Bloodborne since a fight can quickly devolve into the usual Souls dodgefest, but the rally mechanic, trick weapons (and an arsenal of movesets which completely dwarfs that of the entire Souls trilogy in quality and versatility), and the complete lack of proper shields and tank build archetype (which significantly changes the overall dynamic of moment-to-moment combat gameplay, emphasizing offense and speed), greatly distinguish Bloodborne from Dark Souls.
And Sekiro? 'rehashes'???? Which now have a proper mechanic for stealth and jumping (complete with its own assigned button), instead of the convoluted, roundabout way of doing it like in Soulsborne (tilt the analogue button softly (hold the walk button on PC) to 'sneak' while behind an enemy. And hold the sprint button then immediately press it again to 'jump'). Not only that, the levels and the enemy placement are also designed around these newly implemented mechanics. Suffice to say Fromsoft didn't waste them at all, even though there isn't enough amount of content nor exciting loot and secrets to experience them all. The combat dynamic was also greatly changes to emphasize parrying, and to prevent repetitive flow they've also added Perilous movesets from the enemy and ways to counter them.
Am I the only one who cares enough about these things to see that Sekiro is anything but a rehash of Souls formula at all, let alone claiming how it's 'Dark Souls with anime'?????

Last edited:

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
If half of what the leak is true, rhen this game will be good, but then again not even 10% of what been advertised in cyberpunk made it proper to the actual release.

Maybe this will be good and in the same year we will get ELEX 2 and dragon's dogma 2 i can die with no regrets after that

Perkel

Arcane
The vast open world is worrying. I just hope it won't end up with another empty open world.

we all know "the story" is just a something they put in during the last month of development.

If you look at DS3 design EVERYTHING IN GAME speaks to theme of main story. I mean the part codex doesn't like, like bringing part anor londo, onion knight, storm ruler etc. is directly due to DS3 story. If you don't follow story of DS3 it looks weird but in context of story it makes perfect sense.

So idk where you get this "story was done in last minute" when whole game was designed around it.

Silverfish

Arbiter
It's not in regards of action games in general, but it surely is something in context of From's games.

How? Bloodborne's combat is just Souls, but with faster dodging and fewer overall options. It's not even bad, don't get me wrong, but it's nothing unique or innovative. Even the rally mechanic, which you pointed out earlier, is derivative of DS weapons like the butcher knife or the server.

Now, I'm kinda confused with the Bloodborne detractors at this point, because on one hand we have people calling it 'overly streamlined slasher' which certainly means it distinguish itself from Dark Souls even if not in their desired way, but on the other hand we also have people calling it 'Dark Souls but with Victorian Lovecraft'. Truly, a clear, tangible examples of 'can't please everyone, I guess'.

Those criticisms aren't mutually exclusive. Bloodborne is H.P. Soulscraft, while mercilessly simultaneously streamlining the series' mechanics to a degree that would make Bioware or Bethesda blush.

Perkel

Arcane
How? Bloodborne's combat is just Souls, but with faster dodging and fewer overall options. It's not even bad, don't get me wrong, but it's nothing unique or innovative. Even the rally mechanic, which you pointed out earlier, is derivative of DS weapons like the butcher knife or the server. Those criticisms aren't mutually exclusive. Bloodborne is H.P. Soulscraft, while mercilessly simultaneously streamlining the series' mechanics to a degree that would make Bioware or Bethesda blush.

IT plays differently than DS. DS is focused on defense. BB is focused on attack. Sekiro goes even more than BB into action genre which is the reason why i didn't finish it.

do dark souls storyfags actually believe shit they hear from a vaatividya video?

You don't need vaatividya videos to see DS3 story. It just requires you to see Kiln of The First Flame and just you know look around for a 5 seconds. Even if you were dumb enough not to see this, DLCs outright spelled it.

It's From. They know how to design worlds.

Designing few rooms vs designing few kilometers is completely different thing. And that just goes for filling it in with stuff. Design like level design has to be completely different too.

I just don't see same team without hiring few times more people can make such world feel the same as in previous souls games just bigger. DS2 tried to go with quantity over quality and it failed miserably in production hell ending up with huge cuts fucking up whole thing.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture

How? Bloodborne's combat is just Souls, but with faster dodging and fewer overall options. It's not even bad, don't get me wrong, but it's nothing unique or innovative. Even the rally mechanic, which you pointed out earlier, is derivative of DS weapons like the butcher knife or the server.
While the two games look almost identical, even simple tweaks in their mechanics fundamentally change how they play out. I guess rally is somewhat reminiscent of life-recovering mechanics of previous games, but it still impacts the gameplay radically. Rally, faster healing animation, greater stagger potential against enemies all move the gameplay in the same direction: instead of waiting for the enemy to finish his attacks in order to exploit his opening, in BB you go full aggro on everyone. And there are similar changes in Sekiro thanks to the removal of the stamina bar and the addition of posture ("similar" meaning that they move the gameplay in a different direction, not that that direction is the same of BB).

IMHO that's the reason why sometimes veteran DS players say that BB and Sekiro are too hard/unfair/bullshit: they play those games like they were Dark Souls, not understanding that they should be approached in a completely different way.

IT plays differently than DS. DS is focused on defense. BB is focused on attack.

Fair enough. Why does Bloodborne offer fewer methods of attack, then?
What do you mean by that?

Wunderbar

Arcane
While the two games look almost identical, even simple tweaks in their mechanics fundamentally change how they play out. I guess rally is somewhat reminiscent of life-recovering mechanics of previous games, but it still impacts the gameplay radically. Rally, faster healing animation, greater stagger potential against enemies all move the gameplay in the same direction: instead of waiting for the enemy to finish his attacks in order to exploit his opening, in BB you go full aggro on everyone.
it doesn't make the combat any deeper. As far as the amount of moves and the general complexity go, Bloodborne is still much weaker than any other dedicated action game.

Perkel

Arcane
it doesn't make the combat any deeper. As far as the amount of moves and the general complexity go, Bloodborne is still much weaker than any other dedicated action game.

Yeah but if they would go full action then i wouldn't play it nor most in codex.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Yeah but if they would go full action then i wouldn't play it nor most in codex.
that's why they shouldn't have stripped their games from RPG elements.
Either make an action rpg with OK action and OK rpg part, or make a full action game with good action part. Don't give us watered down BS with simplified stats.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
And yet I generally don't like dedicated action games, while I'm still playing Bloodborne after 6 years and I will probably be still playing it 6 years from now. I think the complexity and depth of combat is just fine, considering everything else the game has going on for it.

Either make an action rpg with OK action and OK rpg part, or make a full action game with good action part. Don't give us watered down BS with simplified stats.
But combat in BB is still fun and satisfying despite the low amount of "moves". The enemy design is there, that difficulty sweet spot that manages to be rewarding but not unfair is there, the atmosphere is there, the adrenaline is there. You have weapons with very different movesets that allow for different approaches (sure, there are no "builds", but playing with the Holy Moonlight Sword is not the same things as playing with the Blade of Mercy or the Burial Blade). I don't get what you feel is missing to consider it a good action game. I mean, I don't think juggling enemies in the air with dozens of different combos would improve it in any way.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
That, compared to DS, BB has fewer weapons and far fewer spells. There's also nothing offbeat, like shield bashing or really, really offbeat like,
Sure, BB has fewer weapons, but (with just two exceptions) every weapon is unique and has a unique moveset. DS3 has 17 straight swords with an almost identical moveset (I guess you can exclude the Ringed Knight Straight Sword, Valorheart, and the Gotthard Twinswords), 16 greatswords with an almost identical moveset, and the same can be said for any weapon type really. I can see why the BB approach can be seen as a downgrade, but I prefer a more restricted array of weapons where everything feels unique to dozens of weapons that play out in undistinguishable ways. As a result BB has less "crazy" stuff as you pointed out, but each weapon offers a unique trick.

If you're a fan of DS spells and miracles I see why BB to you is an inferior game, that makes sense. I've never cared for "spells" in souls though, since they introduce a type of gameplay that the game obviously wasn't designed around. Using magic in DeS and DS kind of breaks the game, making everything unfun. Even in DS2 and DS3, where at least enemy can still do something against you due to their sheer number or overwhelming speed, magic feels out of place during almost any encounter. So yeah, BB has a magic system with an abysmal number of tools, but that's not really what makes these games fun for me.

Sentinel

Arcane
i believe that leak toro posted because it's full of marketing buzzwords that mean absolutely nothing and serve just to fuel your imagination

Wunderbar

Arcane
YVvZ75l.png
Verylittlefishes fuck off.

Black Angel

Arcane
You know, observing Codexers right here in the self-contained JRPG subforum, I'm seeing somewhat contradictory attitude towards Fromsoft's games.

We have people complaining how each and every game Fromsoft made after Dark Souls (and even Dark Souls itself) are rehashes of previous games. But they never made it clear which parts are rehashed from what? Was it the dodgefest? The R1-R1-R1? "You can't open this door from this side"? Which was it? Alright, Patches, Moonlight Greatsword, onion knight in distress, crestfallen warrior, poison swamp, etc etc. But if we disregard the sequels, Bloodborne has Patches, Moonlight Greatsword was added by the DLC but linked with one of the most badass boss of Soulsborne, literally no onion knight in distress and crestfallen warrior. Forbidden Woods is NOT a poison swamp, it wasn't even a swamp at all! Save few parts I vaguely remembered resembling a swamp but there's only some parts of it. And Nightmare Frontier is a side area, only half of it is a swamp.
Meanwhile, Sekiro only has parts of the Sunken Valley as a poison swamp but most of its area are, well, valleys, and the Divine Dragon's sword being vaguely moonlight but it was explicitly the Seven-Branched Sword.

But now they turn around and condemn them for taking away the RPG elements from the games that aren't even sequels. Without so much batting an eye on the things they've added in place. Bloodborne has trick weapons, rally mechanic, and faster (step)dodging to compensate the lack of tanky build archetype.
Sekiro went all-out on action gameplay mechanic, leaving only very trivial RPG elements, but in place of that they finally get to procure proper jumping and stealth mechanics, each with a button actually assigned to them, instead of the convoluted and roundabout way of doing it like in Soulsborne. Not only that, they go above and beyond with the newly implemented mechanics; jump stomps either to double jump and reach even greater height or to counter perilous sweep attacks, the interact button allows you to also shimmy a cliff or walls and hang on interactable ledges. Shimmying and hanging on ledges are also alternative ways to sneak other than crouching, and all these, together with either falling on enemies or jumping from above allows you to perform instant stealth kills, providing you more options as a shinobi to deal with encounters. Hell, you can even swim and dive now, which is yet another way to sneak around, although there isn't that much content involving swimming. No matter how you look at it, despite the lack of RPG mechanics and multiplayer elements, Sekiro is a well-made action game that doesn't devolve into mindless popamole hack n' slash (and contrary to some opinions, it's NOT a deflectfest at all) with some stealth mechanics, and not a rehash of Dark Souls in *any way at all*. Most of the main bosses designs easily rivals those of Soulsborne's, only the minibosses and side encounters left a lot to be desired.
The vast open world is worrying. I just hope it won't end up with another empty open world.

It's From. They know how to design worlds.
They do, but we're yet to see how they design a proper open-world. I've been spoiled by Gothic and Kingdom Come: Deliverance, though, so that was a realistically high standard. Still, if what Wunderbar said is true (about Sony wanting Fromsoft to develop their own Oblivion) I'm very, very worried.

It's precisely the lack of other options such as shields and tank archetype (and to an extent, a conventional magic/spellcaster builds, although the game has pseudo-spells and a stat to accommodate for it) that the game's formula and moment-to-moment gameplay dynamic has been changed. I can get the complains if they somehow half-assed it, but that's not the case.
The faster dodging and the rally mechanics are there to further reinforce this, you're forced to change the usual approach used for Dark Souls. Whereas previously you have the option to wear heavy armor, tanking attacks with poise (Dark Souls 1), hide behind a shield to poke once in a while if there's an opening, you're now forced to rely solely on (step)dodging attacks, and be as aggressive as you possibly can. The rally mechanics, which is now a base mechanic available for all weapons (and not just for one or two weapons like you mentioned with DS's Butcher Knife) is another key to triumph and surviving another encounter. In relation to the faster dodging, properly re-positioning yourself relative to your opponents after you took a hit or two means you can regain some of your lost HP without wasting a single bloodvial. This is the opposite of Dark Souls, where you're pressed to backoff every time you want to heal. Obviously, in Dark Souls you may want to backoff far enough to not get caught while healing, but still close enough to immediately resume offensive. But Bloodborne's faster dodging and the rally mechanic means you can prolong the offensive without backing off even once, provided you have the skill for it.

And then there's the trick weapons. The base game was criticized for having only a limited amount of weapons, but the DLCs added more to it. However, I personally thought that even with the base game's arsenal, each and every single weapon with the exception of a select few, all behaved very, very differently. With each weapon, you have two movesets: the default, and the transformed. In addition to the basic movesets from Dark Souls, you also have backstep and dash attacks for R2/heavy attacks, something which wasn't present for Dark Souls 1&2. And because there's no parry (with an exception) or blocking (again, with an exception) for weapons two-handed after transformed (like Kirkhammer and Hunter's Axe), you also have an additional attack with L2, and L1 where you attack followed by an instant transformation of the weapon.
This, expanding on what NJClaw said above, if you count the entire movesets from Bloodborne's arsenal, and the possible combos to pull off, even the base game alone could rival any Souls game in the terms of movesets and quality, simply because most of Souls weapon has exact same movesets going from a weapon to weapon in one category alone (Short Sword, Longsword, and Broadsword behaves nearly identically with one or two differences, same with say Zweihander and The Greatsword). With the weapons added by the Old Hunters DLC, Bloodborne truly dwarfs Dark Souls 1 in terms of weapon movesets and quality. Dark Souls 2 has powerstancing going on for it, but I could only remember the Majestic Greatsword that adds movesets when powerstanced. Dark Souls 3 has those weapon arts, and it gets criticized for being too much like Bloodborne.

Those criticisms aren't mutually exclusive. Bloodborne is H.P. Soulscraft, while mercilessly simultaneously streamlining the series' mechanics to a degree that would make Bioware or Bethesda blush.
"mercilessly simultaneously streamlining the series' mechanics to a degree that would make Bioware or Bethesda blush."

What the fuck am I reading.

Other than streamlining the RPG mechanics by cutting it down to only 6 attributes, the game mostly changes in moment-to-moment combat gameplay dynamic due to the things I've said above. Thus, the shift from an attempt at being an Action-RPG (Dark Souls 1) to mostly an action game with relatively trivial RPG mechanics (Bloodborne). I don't get the impression that Bloodborne is harder or easier compared to Dark Souls 1, only that it's now a different game which kept some of the formula still the same.

But Bloodborne is definitely not reskin of Dark Souls in *any* way, so what is it being Dark Souls but Victorian Lovecraft/H.P. Soulscraft?
Fair enough. Why does Bloodborne offer fewer methods of attack, then?
If by fewer methods of attack you mean there's only the trick weapons, guns and its variants, and hunter tools (pseudo-spell items like the Augur of Ebrietas), minus pyromancy, magic, miracles, uhhhh should we argue whether or not pyromancy, magic, and miracles fits the setting?
What other dedicated action games has anything remotely similar to the trick weapons?

If there's any, does any of them has anything that could rival how Fromsoft designed the gameworld and levels, and pulled off the narrative of Bloodborne?
that's why they shouldn't have stripped their games from RPG elements.
I know this is exactly what toro said before, "the intertwined oppressive world of Dark Souls (in this case, Bloodborne) doesn't work without the enemies hence combat gameplay." You have your own preference, hence the whole package just didn't work for you. Still, even comparing Bloodborne's own formula with 'any other dedicated action game', I personally still see Bloodborne possessing enough fun factors and satisfying gameplay. But once again I remind you that I didn't really come for Fromsoft's game for the RPG mechanics, and that's where I'm coming from. There's something I crave from Fromsoft, and only Fromsoft can give that. Perhaps I'm more forgiving because so long as it's not sequel I didn't put much expectation on their new game based on their previous work, other than those good stuff I crave from them. And combat, it just so happen I preferred the way they do things in Dark Souls 1 in regards to action gameplay, and why I didn't mind how Bloodborne and Sekiro turned out.

However, I still think Dark Souls 1 is the height limit of what RPG mechanics they can implement in relation to and without taking too much from the action gameplay. With Fromsoft coming back to RPG mechanics with ER (as they previously promised) I sincerely hope they at least use Dark Souls 1 way of doing it as a baseline (where equipment load matters a whole lot more in dictating whether you're light or heavy build), while bringing everything they've learned with Sekiro (like I said, exploring Dark Souls 1 world and levels with Sekiro's mechanics).
Poise literally doesn't exist in Bloodborne, hence you can easily stagger enemies even with seemingly weak weapons, but what NJClaw forgot to mention is that in Bloodborne, it has more involved limb system i.e damaging certain parts of a boss can lead to them stagger and, in most case, open to a visceral attack (Bloodborne's riposte). Some bosses in Dark Souls 1 like Quelaag can take extra damage when her human head gets attacked, and iirc even staggered, but as far as I could remember this thing isn't as common as in Bloodborne.

That, compared to DS, BB has fewer weapons and far fewer spells. There's also nothing offbeat, like shield bashing or really, really offbeat like,

Dude, did you even play the game? Did you not see the things those trick weapons can do in a single combo or based on some situations? A trick weapon has 2 different moveset, making 2 different Souls weapon category, if you count the extra movesets from backstep and dash R2, and the L1 and L2 of a two-handed transformed weapon, that's 3 different Souls weapon category in 1 trick weapon. And since in one Souls weapon category most of them has exact same movesets, figuratively speaking a Bloodborne trick weapon can do what can only be done in Souls with 10 different weapons across multiple weapon category.

And if those things don't excite you at all, have you seen THIS:

Wunderbar

Arcane
Still, if what Wunderbar said is true (about Sony wanting Fromsoft to develop their own Oblivion) I'm very, very worried.
those were old news. I doubt Sony want to make an Oblivion clone right now. Not to mention that ER is published by Bamco.

Black Angel

Arcane
Still, if what Wunderbar said is true (about Sony wanting Fromsoft to develop their own Oblivion) I'm very, very worried.
those were old news. I doubt Sony want to make an Oblivion clone right now. Not to mention that ER is published by Bamco.
Hopefully. But I don't trust Scamco, and the success of Bethshit's open-world games are, unfortunately, undeniable, regardless of their actual quality. I'm not sure what's the chance of Fromsoft hearing how the actually good open-world games are something like Gothic :negative:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom