Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Guilty Gear Strive - ArcSys fighting game

RoBoBOBR

Arcane
Patron
Well fighting games as a genre require quick actions and reactions from both players, frequently with just-frame timing, so of course wired connection is required (WiFi is a half duplex connection thus shitty by design). Japanese devs are getting better with implementing good netcodes (and reacting to player base demands) lately -- T7 got rollback patched in, GGST was planned with delay netcode initially, but player feedback convinced them to switch, kof 2002 and Garou got rollback patches as well.

Nathir

Liturgist
Rollback netcode is great, but it doesn't work miracles. I'd take those reports of "godlike" connections across continents with a bucket of salt.

Yeah, rollback is currently as good as it gets but it's not the one stop problem solver for having an authentic match. Sadly the best fighting games come from Japan and sadly Japan doesn't give much of a shit about making actual good online. Sucks that the one genre that thrives off human interaction the most is also the one still fifteen years behind every other multiplayer out there.

Have you guys played the patched Accent core? The online really is amazing. If Strive has anything close to that it will be miles ahead of SFV, XRD and DBFZ. Didn't play Tekken so can't comment on that.

I understand rollback code and have played since the very early days of GGPO. It's a great model, but again, it doesn't work miracles, and won't magically make a 3,000 mile connection "godlike".

I hope Strive's netcode is really good and lots of people play it, but at the same time, people should have realistic expectations about the physical limitations of the tech.

Nathir

Liturgist
Of course, I get that. I just wanted to say it's the best online I've personally witnessed in FG's. I am from mid/eastern EU and matches against Americans are playable. By playable I mean nobody is teleporting across the screen and you don't drop combos. For comparison in Xrd playing against Americans it was a guaranteed delay of atleast 15 frames and everything moving like it's underwater. "godlike" doesn't have to mean it is the same as offline. Just playable with no major hiccups.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Tried it a bit. The visuals are GORGEOUS, the game is a lot slower than +R. Maybe is better for an old guy like me, but feels strange.

RoBoBOBR

Arcane
Patron
Played some matches on beta, like the game a lot (sure feels different from previous GGs, but still good). Netplay is very good, pings up to 200 are playable and smooth.

RoBoBOBR

Arcane
Patron
How's it feel depth wise? I heard there's no gatlings so it's more uh...SFish?
Gatlings are still in, just less of them. Due to movement and attaclk options, plethora of RC options and high combo ability it feels nothing like SF to me, very chaotic and frantic.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Tried a bit more Zato and Ky in the training and decided not to play more because I want to enjoy the game fresh on release. I understand competitive players wanting to squeeze tech and hours before it comes out, but I like Guilty gear so much that I prefer to enjoy the finished product when is completed.

Game feels and looks great.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
So what about the damage scaling? Are the 5hit 60% dmg combos gone?

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Damage is insane. I'm sure they will tune it down a bit for the release. I honestly don't care is so high.

I heard virgin Blazblue players complain, because for them a game is better if you do 50hits combos with waifus, so I even love manly Lethal damage now. They are a bunch of degenerate coomers, period.

Last edited:

Latro

Arcane
impressions:

chipp - ass. slow as hell; lost his teleports; his gamma blade is now damageable (!). he has a really quick OH and some nasty stuff with the window break (he can launch shuriken on the way down for high/low mixup). however, his neutral is ass since he can't zoom around with teleport to try to trip them up.

zato - super strong. his new shadow moveset is great, and they let him keep enough stuff to crack people open.

millia - millia mains are fucking whiners and there's nothing wrong with this bitch. doesn't setplay you indefinitely but kept her aerial dominance/speed, unlike chipp

newbies are strong.

RoBoBOBR

Arcane
Patron
EvmM1dtXYAMuF69

RoBoBOBR

Arcane
Patron
New open beta test this weekend, ArcSys is releasing guide videos for final release characters.

RoBoBOBR

Arcane
Patron
Early access showcase from ArcSys.
Game roadmap revealed:
• July - new character
• August - returning character
• Fall - 3 more characters, 2 stages and new Story
Free updates:
• Combo Maker - create combos and upload them for other players to try and repeat
• Digital Figure Mode - like the one in Xrd
• Customizable Player Rooms
Plus game opening movie and a new trailer.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom