Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Life and Suffering of Sir Brante - obscure Russian narrative RPG

Vatnik Wumao
Still not available for purchase...
Patience, young padawan.

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1272160/view/3059604988249620955
Hey everyone! Some days ago we announced the QA session with The Life and Suffering of Sir Brante dev team and we must admit it took us some time to make it happen. But hey, we made it!
Although we couldn't go live due to the significant time difference, we managed to record a 2-hour video and will broadcast it starting from Match 4th, 10 AM PT on The Life and Suffering of Sir Brante Steam page.

Presumably the start of the stream will coincide with the release of the game.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
So I died once as well. For now, I think the game should have introduced the world in a bit more detail before asking you to make decisions.

It's made very clear that you live in a very strictly stratified society, I'd even say it's over-emphasized, but the narration could have dropped more details on the world while presenting your character's first 7 years of life.

The art style also lacks detail. The music I think I'll soon replace with something classic to be playing in the background.

Vatnik Wumao
you guys playing with consequences open or hidden?
Open for the first playthrough since aiming for a particular ending is quite hard even without them being hidden. I'll do subsequent blind runs with them hidden.

Also, finished the game. I'd say that it has enough C&C to warrant some replays in the future and the writing is decent.

Antigoon

Augur
you guys playing with consequences open or hidden?
Hidden & Ironman. I Want to get surprised on the first walkthrough and just take whatever ending I get. I just finished chapter 2, but so far the consequences are anyway quite predictable for your choices, of course I would expect way more consquences in later chapters.

Last edited:

agris

Arcane
Patron
Looking forward to trying this tomorrow night. Hidden consequences sounds properly old school for the first play through, known consequences are like looking at a walkthrough after you beat the game.

Vatnik Wumao
known consequences are like looking at a walkthrough after you beat the game.
Yes and no. Most of the C&C is built on stacking particular aptitudes and/or reputations that make you eligible for certain decisions. And in the case of both reputations and of the willpower stat (which is expendable through your choices, unlike other aptitudes), when you increase it past the maximum through your choices it just deletes those points rather than stack them. And that can lock you out of important decisions, particularly in chapter 3.

That said, hidden is certainly the more monocled option.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Oh ok - I have no idea what the mechanics of this are! Even more excited to dive in tomorrow.

oscar

Arcane
I want to buy this but hope it has some length to it (or if not much than a good amount of replayability).

Antigoon

Augur
Its more about replayability. Devs are saying one playthrough takes about 10-15h, of course depending mainly on your reading speed. It took me about 3h to finish the first 2 chapters, out of 4 total, but especially the last chapter is supposed to be much longer than the first 2. So probably 10h for one playthrough is a pretty accurate estimate.

edit: actually not even sure about the 4 chapters, maybe its 5 total? Anyway, dev estimation stands at 10-15h

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
I want to buy this but hope it has some length to it (or if not much than a good amount of replayability).

It is kinda comparable to AoD (without time spent on combat sequences), 10-12 h one playthrough, but you can replay it 3 times at least, and this will be a different story.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
:baka::baka::baka::baka::baka::baka:

Fuck this faggots,fuck them with a hot iron! May those disgusting faggots rot in hell,fucking bastards,i want to castrate them with rusty spoon !!!

Sooo i am having perfect 4th act and everything goes great,10 power,10 wealth and 10 influence and 9 family unity. I look at the destiny things and see no contradictions. Them i get family united with the mother living and everyone getting nice together. Then i get a fucking pop up where me fathers makes me sister a fucking part of the family and the get -10 reputation and mark of dishonour and get locked out from becoming a perma noble....the fuck!!!!!!! Those faggots should eat vulture shit!

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron

Fuck this faggots,fuck them with a hot iron! May those disgusting faggots rot in hell,fucking bastards,i want to castrate them with rusty spoon !!!

Sooo i am having perfect 4th act and everything goes great,10 power,10 wealth and 10 influence and 9 family unity. I look at the destiny things and see no contradictions. Them i get family united with the mother living and everyone getting nice together. Then i get a fucking pop up where me fathers makes me sister a fucking part of the family and the get -10 reputation and mark of dishonour and get locked out from becoming a perma noble....the fuck!!!!!!! Those faggots should eat vulture shit!

Wow, this is so Game of Thrones.

Eirinjas

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex

Sounds like the devs delivered on the titular "suffering". Incline! :happytrollboy:

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
So I played the game till the end and I won. Consequences not hidden. I got my desired end in a sense. My family died but I didn't care because the Sophia story ruined it for me. I save her from the horses killing her, help her escape. But it doesn't matter. I wanted a happy childhood friend romance but she gets used as a sex toy by the noble guy, against her will, regardless. This isn't a spoiler. Happens in the first 2 chapters and every playthrough sees it. Nothing you do prevents this. Since my relationship was ruined I didn't care that my family died. Except Gloria. Why can't we bang our half sister? She's a true mensch. I don't believe you can get the happy ending with the other 2 girls and still follow the based communism path. I said at the start that life is random chance and I told the gods the same at the end as well, and word of god from Sophia's life it is true. Nothing you can do saves her. Someone spoil me on whether you can romance the high noble girl and still be a based commie? I'm not interested in playing again honestly. Game is too depressing.

But as far as what are essentially gamebooks go, it is worth it if you are into that. The slow ass UI animations are annoying but the general story and the art are good and there is decent C&C aside from my specific complaint. Also I did right by Sophia anyways and got the "best" ending with her. If she is the only one you can commie with she is best girl, just depressing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom