Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Beat up aliens in sci-fi turn-based tactical RPG The Protagonist: EX-1, now on Early Access

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: 3Mind Games; The Protagonist: EX-1

The Protagonist: EX-1 is an upcoming sci-fi turn-based tactical RPG from Montreal-based indie studio 3Mind Games, where you play as an elite soldier sent to infiltrate a hostile alien space station that has appeared in earth orbit. It's a rather unusual-looking game whose standout feature is a customizable martial arts system. The game was formally announced in October 2019 but it looks like it's been in development since at least 2017. There's been little news about it since then, though it did have a demo last year during the Steam Autumn Game Festival. Yesterday the game was released on Steam Early Access, so I guess we'll finally give it a shoutout. Here's the Early Access launch trailer and store page description:

War looms between the Terrans and an invading synthetic race. A massive station appears high in orbit and first contact between them goes very wrong.

An elite strike team led by Angel, a highly trained special agent with advanced martial arts skills, is sent to neutralize the threat. But the mission goes awry and Angel awakens in the infirmary of the station's lab. With no memory of what happened, she must trust an unfamiliar face to guide her through the alien ship and find the rest of her team. She only knows this: they are the only hope of Terra.
  • Martial Arts Combat System - customize your character’s close-combat abilities
  • Dynamic Dialogue System – make decisions and face consequences
  • Initiative and Action Points System – fully control the actions of your character on their turn
  • Deep content – enjoy 7+ playable characters, 10+ types of enemies, 19+ weapon types, and much more
  • Story-Driven – play in this incredible sci-fi universe, mixing different genres and styles
  • With epic voices acting – from Temuera Morrison and Tony Todd, and much more

The Early Access build of The Protagonist is available on Steam for a cheap $13, with a 10% launch discount until next week. According to the Early Access FAQ, the developers aim to release the game in a few months and haven't decided yet if the price will be increased.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
>Martial Arts Combat System
This looks cool. I wonder how far the customization for combat goes - the trailer wasn't very in depth with it. Unarmed animations look really nice too.

>Early Access
This is not cool. But it sounds like a neat game. For thirteen bucks, it sounds like an easy pick up. I guess I'll get it, sometime this week.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer

2H0tqAM.jpg

That intro read sounds like what the world atm wants to be like (or just the USA)? Totalitarian? Utopian? Secret Council? Woman Protagonist with a chin Jay Leno would br envious of? This playthrough example dragged a bit and i found myself skipping due to his menu toggling.

kind of meh impression so far.

My guess, the government actually set this up to put some fear in the people so the warm cuddle gov can be the saviors. Maybe they encountered an alien race but Gov does like it does when controlling all monopolies and in the scenario people are now all sheep under the iron fist of totalitaian dictatorship.

Yeesh... I kind of want to play games to get away from politics. It would have been nice to be able to choose your own alt rather than default TG Lenny here. That's the issues you get when you have probably only a handful of voice actors, budget, etc. If protag had no voice and just read only dialog then maybe you could be anyone. Dunno.

Last edited:

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Do we really need frontpage news about every shitty game which happens to contain RPG in the description?

Skdursh

Savant
Do we really need frontpage news about every shitty game which happens to contain RPG in the description?

Lot of garbage on the front page recently.

People complain when he only posts news from Obsidian/Larian/Owlcat, people complain when he posts news about smaller games. :M

Where did you see me complain about smaller games? I said garbage. See? It's right there. G A R B A G E.

laclongquan

Arcane
The gameplay video give me a Knight of the Old Republic 1 feel. Quite strange. Possibily because of the skill and perk windows~ Overall an art sense of Bioware style the period from KOTOR1 to Jade Empire.

Anyway, quite interesting.

Note: a curvaceous babe! This game devs have hearts in the right place~

(the square jaw is a bit of a turn off but I do understand that some people like square face babes~)
(also high cheekbones. Hollywood fucking love women with high cheekbones which is a big NoNo with me.)

Last edited:

jac8awol

Arbiter
reminds me of this strange 64 game called hybird heaven.

Was thinking the exact same thing. Now that was a weird game, but had its charms. Hero vs aliens/monsters in government facility, level up your combat ability by learning new wrestling moves. Even the graphics and UI look strangely similar. I'd put money on someone over there being heavily influenced by Hybrid Heaven.

Saduj

Arcane
Was going to defend this getting a news post but then I watched the trailer and a couple of minutes of the gameplay video. This is not a hill I want to die on. :lol:

This isn't even the biggest problem with what I saw but it eats at me: If you've decided to invest heavily in making unarmed combat an integral part of the game, why would you make (any of) the enemies metal drones? Not only metal drones but flying metal drones that should be able to hover just a feet higher (because there is no ceiling!) and kite the character with that zappy weapon. Add to that a shape that makes grappling of any kind useless and these things are the worst enemy you could conceive for a game like this! And it ain't as if these things are interesting either. We've seen drones almost exactly like these in how many other games? FFS if a big part of the game is going to involve punching and kicking things, those things should be made out of meat and have parts that can twisted and broken....

SerratedBiz

Arcane
>Martial Arts Combat System
This looks cool. I wonder how far the customization for combat goes - the trailer wasn't very in depth with it. Unarmed animations look really nice too.

Reminds me of Legend of Legaia. In fact I'd say it's a very direct copy imitation.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
ch3.png

Woof woof!

ch1.png

Woof Woof!

ch2.png

Er.. woof woof....

ch4.png

Woof? ???

31taLbP.jpg

Collect all 4!

VdtAQ3Q.jpg

About as good looking as they'll get. Ah concept art.

EQmFKUb.jpg

Is she brunette or is she red?

the-protagonist-ex-1-5545-gross.jpg

According to this pic we all know the real protagonist is WOOF!

Why do they keep butchering her hair and eventually Leno-izing her chin?
As to upskirts and close up pics? Uhhhh I guess none yet. Slap dat tight ass in that cyber suit. She likes it.
EfagrTI.jpg

ASWMkNS.jpg

EkO3fhB.jpg

I guess you can get wallpapers and look ar ASSets on google drive via their website: https://theprotagonistgame.com/

via download presspack.

fb, twitter, etc etc. I should stop posting as it after watching a few playthroughs I could consider giving it a spin rather than just surface judgement. Gog maybe...steam no.

Last edited:
Was going to defend this getting a news post but then I watched the trailer and a couple of minutes of the gameplay video. This is not a hill I want to die on. :lol:

This isn't even the biggest problem with what I saw but it eats at me: If you've decided to invest heavily in making unarmed combat an integral part of the game, why would you make (any of) the enemies metal drones? Not only metal drones but flying metal drones that should be able to hover just a feet higher (because there is no ceiling!) and kite the character with that zappy weapon. Add to that a shape that makes grappling of any kind useless and these things are the worst enemy you could conceive for a game like this! And it ain't as if these things are interesting either. We've seen drones almost exactly like these in how many other games? FFS if a big part of the game is going to involve punching and kicking things, those things should be made out of meat and have parts that can twisted and broken....
in the far future technology will advance at an ever increasing rate until we colonize the entire galaxy and travel around space on a whim, however we will revert to defending ourselves against dangerous robots , AI and Aliens by beating on them with our hands and feet.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom